Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Gave them a call
    It’s a recording program - whole herd, dna tags & weights.
    Ideally a few weights through out the year, the farmer can diy
    Commercial stock will only be weighed while PB stock will be scored & weighed on WHPR visit.
    They will not be interfering in breeding program

So extra work for geno discount is that it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    So extra work for geno discount is that it?
    That ‘s about it
    Sure the whole herd program is a cost to the farmer with benefits only to icbf
    Had a bull on Bull finder with over 150 views & not 1 call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

That ‘s about it
    Sure the whole herd program is a cost to the farmer with benefits only to icbf
    Had a bull on Bull finder with over 150 views & not 1 call

I know a few lads on the bull finder and the calls they received was a lad looking for a bargain. One interesting thing on bull finder though is you can see bulls weights who have really low weights.and they are still 45 star.. I have seen 18 month angus bulls and they were 450 kg .. begs question how are these bulls not dropped in stars... is there any consequence for bad numbers or is scheme just a money exercise with little benefits for the breeders or the breed covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Bellview wrote: »
    I know a few lads on the bull finder and the calls they received was a lad looking for a bargain. One interesting thing on bull finder though is you can see bulls weights who have really low weights.and they are still 45 star.. I have seen 18 month angus bulls and they were 450 kg .. begs question how are these bulls not dropped in stars... is there any consequence for bad numbers or is scheme just a money exercise with little benefits for the breeders or the breed covered
    Think trying to justify the herdplus & scoring cost

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hanifanze

Anyone have any calves from the lim bull from dovea kjb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

hanifanze wrote: »

we have cow by kjb, she is my favourite, lovely appearance, and extremely quiet. She had her first heifer calf this year.

She lost her first bull calf, it was premature, she was probably bullied by another cow. She readily reared another calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

hanifanze wrote: »

Put him on some cows five years ago,he can breed a super heifer but there's problems with him. His gestation length is a joke, the worst of any bull i've ever used, ten months wouldn't be unusual, easy calved on cows tho.
    Some of the calves off him stay small and don't grow enough.
    Better choices out there i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

New proofs now up for September.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Nov proofs available today.. some light reading for all ..

I see the €38,00 Limousin bull Goldies Jackpot, now scores in the bottom 1% for functionality. He's also in the bottom 1% for calving. Dear, oh dear!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

ICBF are providing separate calving difficulties for heifers and cows now

Simmental. wrote: »
    ICBF are providing separate calving difficulties for heifers and cows now

just reviewed the new calving % .. my initial thought is it will create crazy confusion at bull sales this year.. we have angus so now there is a beef cow metric, beef heifer metric, dairy cow metric and dairy heifer metric... and the same animal could range from 0.5% for beef cow to 7% for dairy heifer... instead of trying to keep metrics simple .. ICBF have really made this as complex to the point farmers will be completely confused in 2020... in my opinion whoever thought this was a great idea didn't spend much time farming

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

just reviewed the new calving % .. my initial thought is it will create crazy confusion at bull sales this year.. we have angus so now there is a beef cow metric, beef heifer metric, dairy cow metric and dairy heifer metric... and the same animal could range from 0.5% for beef cow to 7% for dairy heifer... instead of trying to keep metrics simple .. ICBF have really made this as complex to the point farmers will be completely confused in 2020... in my opinion whoever thought this was a great idea didn't spend much time farming

I work in a data and analytical job so I love this new breakout but I agree that to the average farmer this is just going to confuse them. Would be great if ICBF did more presentation workshops where they explain the information especially thinks like the Milk figures and how to interpret the within herd stuff

I work in a data and analytical job so I love this new breakout but I agree that to the average farmer this is just going to confuse them. Would be great if ICBF did more presentation workshops where they explain the information especially thinks like the Milk figures and how to interpret the within herd stuff

I have an Excel spreadsheet set-up to read the values automatically from ICBF for all my cows here. This new change throws it all up on a heap. :mad:

I have an Excel spreadsheet set-up to read the values automatically from ICBF for all my cows here. This new change throws it all up on a heap. :mad:

I took the nov proofs and focused on AI bulls only calving diff.. I will post a summary but bulls that were ie 2% calving diff in nov their beef and dairy calving diff are very different... lines up a lot of confusion at spring sales.. and I have rang icbf and they don’t have a dummies guide to how the new calving diff is associated to new ones.. as usual the farmers will have to try figure out the new metrics

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I took the nov proofs and focused on AI bulls only calving diff.. I will post a summary but bulls that were ie 2% calving diff in nov their beef and dairy calving diff are very different... lines up a lot of confusion at spring sales.. and I have rang icbf and they don’t have a dummies guide to how the new calving diff is associated to new ones.. as usual the farmers will have to try figure out the new metrics

Basil Lowman had an article in farmers weekly about daughters of easy calving bulls not having calving ability themselves, I must look it up and see if there's a connection.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭dh1985

Basil Lowman had an article in farmers weekly about daughters of easy calving bulls not having calving ability themselves, I must look it up and see if there's a connection.

It would be interesting to see a graphical representation for the top 10 AI terminal and maternal over the past 5 years to show some indicator or the level of accuracy these star figures actual are. See how the stars for certain bulls trends up or down.
    One bull that comes to mind is HCA. He was the number one or damn near number one replacement bull 4 to 5 years back. Hes two star today. I had calves off him out of good cows. Narrow rags of things.
    They seem to keep changing/adjusting the metrics and how things are calculated. I wonder if we are any closer now than five years ago to accurate results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

dh1985 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see a graphical representation for the top 10 AI terminal and maternal over the past 5 years to show some indicator or the level of accuracy these star figures actual are. See how the stars for certain bulls trends up or down.
    One bull that comes to mind is HCA. He was the number one or damn near number one replacement bull 4 to 5 years back. Hes two star today. I had calves off him out of good cows. Narrow rags of things.
    They seem to keep changing/adjusting the metrics and how things are calculated. I wonder if we are any closer now than five years ago to accurate results.

With regards hca, I’ve 5 off him off dairy crosses and while the cows themselves are average I’m happy enough with their offspring. I’ve only calved one of their offspring to date and no issues, I’ve a few more this year so we’ll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

That article was a while ago;I think there might have been something about selecting for higher fat score too as an aid to overwintering suckler cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭TPF2012

• Advertisement

TPF2012 wrote: »

thanks this is helpful - the ranges though are massive ie from 0.1% to 2.4% old calving difficulty, this covers a wide range in the old metric.

I have reviewed a numebr of the AI bulls comparing the Nov measure & new Jan measures.
    I have taken Angus at 0.3% in November and using the beef heifer metric we now have CD% of between 1.67% to 4.12%... 2 months ago these same bulls were super easy... with ranges like this i can see farmers being rightly confused.. in old days a bull of less that 2% CD was easy.. now we have to learn a new metric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Does anyone know where you can see on ICBF how many calves a bull has? I used to be able to see it before but can’t put my finger on where it was? Thanks

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can see on ICBF how many calves a bull has? I used to be able to see it before but can’t put my finger on where it was? Thanks

Click the tab EVALUATION HISTORY on the first page and go down to the bottom. They only have the new totals there now for the 2 types of calving. The old calving numbers are not shown.

For example for Feb 2020, the bull ZAG has 14,499 calvings to heifers and 25,025 calvings to cows.

Thanks Patsy - does this work on the ICBF app on the phone? I don’t see it...

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Thanks Patsy - does this work on the ICBF app on the phone? I don’t see it...

Ya, the TAB is called 'PREV EVAL' under 'MORE' on the first page.

Got it there now cheers for that

March poofs up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

March poofs up now.

Is it all about Benji :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Has the Calving tab always been there or is it new with this update? Always wondered when I was going to see that info and was I just wasting my time weighing and taking measurements of calves. Nice to see the information being displayed now

• Advertisement

Has the Calving tab always been there or is it new with this update? Always wondered when I was going to see that info and was I just wasting my time weighing and taking measurements of calves. Nice to see the information being displayed now

That's new alright. A whole lot of new information in there.
    Gestation in days is in there.

Advertisement