Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Beef Results still not up.

I wonder can we issue penalties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

They're taking the piss now..... the search function is down the be updated this Monday, wonder will they miss that goal as well?

They're taking the piss now..... the search function is down the be updated this Monday, wonder will they miss that goal as well?

I paid my herd plus yesterday.. luckily I had low expectation on performance. It will be may before we see the herd updated...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'd say they are waiting for the genomics results. The two will probably be tied in together for this proof run. Might be a few changes in stars again this time because of the genomics.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'd say they are waiting for the genomics results. The two will probably be tied in together for this proof run. Might be a few changes in stars again this time because of the genomics.

would be good if they shared this... one thing we can be sure of is the stars will change... there are a few interesting years ahead with the stars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

...what is the Stars?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

...what is the Stars?

A great question that I have been asked a lot recently... especially from some boys that were buying bulls... my only reply is they go up and down.. and only the computer knows where they will go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

...what is the Stars?
    Joxer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

...what is the Stars?

Ah, that’s the question, that’s the question — what is the stars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

...what is the Stars?
    'All of us are in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars'.

The stars are a simple visual aid to show the best quality bulls for a particular end use.

5 stars very good
    4 stars good
    3 stars average
    2 stars 'poor'
    1 star very 'poor'

As the quality and information of the bulls used improve, the figures needed to reach each level will increase and the reliability of the figures will increase.

Again, using a team of 4-5 bulls is recommended if depending on genomic information as the average of the bulls used will be closer to the indicated average.

So even if 1 bull falls badly the rest should pull the average up. Likewise, if 1 bull increases greatly, the average will drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Beef Results still not up.

25 Apr 2016 Bull Search, Active Bull Lists and Herd Profiles available on ICBF website

http://www.icbf.com/?page_id=208

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

hi,

logged in and nothing updated, is it just me or is it across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yes your right ,end of this week or early next week at the latest in told ,anxiously waiting to see what way 3 very high ebi bull calves I go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yes your right ,end of this week or early next week at the latest in told ,anxiously waiting to see what way 3 very high ebi bull calves I go

Its a disaster I have 16 geno typed since last may its being a bitch of a wait to plan what heifers are for bulling and what ones are for beef

Half the cows in the country will be bulled, before they have release the proofs.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Half the cows in the country will be bulled, before they have release the proofs.:mad:

It doesn't give a great image of ICBF if they can't stick to their own deadline, you'd have to wonder what they've been doing for the last four months.
    I don't think the figures are going to change that much for Bulls that have been around a while. Are you waiting for figures for new Bulls?
    Last cow calved here this morning, won't be starting Ai for two or three weeks.

No, I'm not doing Ai this year. Have me own bull, but other years I'd be waiting to see the calving figures for the new bulls before trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

They struggle to get them out on time in a normal year, so they were never gonna meet the deadline with the genomics being used for the first time.

Not too fond of the whole 3 times a year system anyway, they need to develop a system that is continually updating as new information is being added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Canaryblue wrote: »
    They struggle to get them out on time in a normal year, so they were never gonna meet the deadline with the genomics being used for the first time.

Not too fond of the whole 3 times a year system anyway, they need to develop a system that is continually updating as new information is being added to it.

Not a hope of that happening. The computing power required would be massive

No, I'm not doing Ai this year. Have me own bull, but other years I'd be waiting to see the calving figures for the new bulls before trying them.

Not in any panic to bull cows here yet either after the spring we just had. But if I was using ai I'd like to use it for a couple of weeks before the stock bulls go in with cows.
    I see that if we are using ai in the bdgs 80% of the bulls we use have to be at least 4 star for either terminal or maternal, that's by 30th June this year.

If they want us to use more ai in the suckler herd, then waiting for reports to be published isn't going to encourage us. Why pay €30 for a straw that might only give us a low ebi heifer next year when there's a bull in the yard?

I accept that ICBF have a lot on their plate right now with genomics, but they knew there was a lot of work involved when samples were being taken.

• Advertisement

Not a hope of that happening. The computing power required would be massive
    The British EBV's seem to update much more seamlessly, possibly updated every month, can't find an answer on that though.

I just think its silly to have to wait 4 months for new figures, especially with everyone glamouring for the highest index bulls now cause of BDGP requirements. We've seen with Curaheen Apostle how much a bull can change between evaluations.

http://www.icbf.com/?p=5290

Beef Genomics Deferred Until August Evaluation
    [ul]
    [li]The roll-out of beef genomic evaluations by ICBF and Teagasc has been deferred until August. This decision was taken at an ICBF beef industry meeting which took place on Monday 25 April 2016.[/li]

[/ul]

[ul]
    [li]The reason for the deferral is due to a desire from the wider beef breeding industry (AI companies, herdbooks and suckler farmers) to have genomics for female fertility included as part of the change. This work will not be available until August.[/li]

[li]The alternative was to go with genomics for all traits EXCEPT female fertility now, and add the genomics for female fertility in for August. However, the industry meeting felt that it would be better for farmers and the industry, if we introduced all changes at once so as to minimise the extent of changes that farmers see in the short term.[/li]

[li]In the meantime, if you need to pick heifers or bulls, pick the highest Euro-star ratings available from the current evaluations, based on the relevant index. The majority of animals will not move significantly. Even after genomics is introduced, Euro-star ratings for animals will change as animals get more data/performance records in the system and as our genomic evaluation systems improve in the future.[/li]

[/ul]

• Registered Users Posts: 45 friesian13

bull search updated!

friesian13 wrote: »
    bull search updated!

Had a quick look and everything I looked at all that has changed is the date, anybody else find any changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Genotyped 2 young bulls here and absolutely no change in their reliability? One bought in five star cow now has no star aswell :(

Had a quick look and everything I looked at all that has changed is the date, anybody else find any changes?
    Only other thing I can see that has changed so far is the number of progeny recorded. . .

same as that there appears to be no movement at all something seems very strange i think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

On the dairy side I've had Bulls of my own drop way off on ebi and reliability figures go from 48% to 20 % on genotyped animals .domething ain't right and I'm hoping there's a glitch somewhere

Genotyped 2 young bulls here and absolutely no change in their reliability? One bought in five star cow now has no star aswell :(

The recorded sire might have been wrong, and now they have found it with the dna not matching ? So she is the same as a cow with an unknown sire.

Jasus lads we'll have to up our game if we want to fool the system now:eek: Fook em definitely not using ai this year now.

• Advertisement

The recorded sire might have been wrong, and now they have found it with the dna not matching ? So she is the same as a cow with an unknown sire.

Jasus lads we'll have to up our game if we want to fool the system now:eek: Fook em definitely not using ai this year now.

see I'm the opposite i'v used a lot of ai this year will use a bit more I plan on cleaning up when they all cop on they have no 5star heifers i'll be there for the bidding wars that have already started by the way in the midlands

Advertisement