Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bellview wrote: »
    Only the tags which last week I found out we can refuse to pay. My next order will be reduced by 18 cent a tag..

38 cent a set

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No.

AI man was under the impression that there was one and it had been 50 cent and had been increased recently. Maybe it's some other levy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

lads this scheme is like bog snorkling, they cant see a thing and are changing every couple of months on the stars in the sky results, all the guys in icbf must have sore necks looking upwards at the stars and trying to come up with a figure for a bull.
    in fairness the looser in this is us guys the suckler man, we are the one to take the penalty in the pocket and the Ai and icbf are taking the money into their pocket.
    it seems to me that icbf want us to use the dairy mans off spring and breed small handy cattle for uncle larry and the boys and no more export of cattle,
    the kids reared some dairy cross bbx heifer calves and and turn out five star and high euro index, this is what we should be using according to the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

ironically this proof is one of the key ones for the scheme - as the AI now .. these will be cows in 2019. this starts the question if you could challenge ICBF of a one year extension to meet the 50% criteria due to no information for this AI season

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭greenpetrol

whelan2 wrote: »
    AI man was under the impression that there was one and it had been 50 cent and had been increased recently. Maybe it's some other levy
    norbrok laboratories need to come up with a drug to kill off all these parasites that are leaching off us farmers ! Something to eliminate Ifa,icbf, teagasc advisers, glas advisers, something broadspec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

norbrok laboratories need to come up with a drug to kill off all these parasites that are leaching off us farmers ! Something recommended for ! Ifa,icbf, teagasc advisers, glas advisers, something broadspec
    you forgot bordbia, I'm sure there are more.
    Eley laboratories already have::D

http://activehuntingireland.ie/eley-super-game-cartridges-no-6

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Whoa, there's Proofs up now for May 2016.:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

The Charolais bull First (CH2216) has a terminal index of 202! We've two purebred cows in calf to him, hopefully he stays that high:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Canaryblue wrote: »
    The Charolais bull First (CH2216) has a terminal index of 202! We've two purebred cows in calf to him, hopefully he stays that high:D

They've given him a calving difficulty of 3.3% and a carcase weight of 53kgs, he must be the perfect bull so :rolleyes:

Calving difficulty for ZCH over 10% now:eek: and OKH over 7

I went with OKH recently on a pedigree cow. A bit worried about ZCH calving figures at the time. Over 10% for a limousin is bad news.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    They've given him a calving difficulty of 3.3% and a carcase weight of 53kgs, he must be the perfect bull so :rolleyes:

Sure of course he's perfect, zero calves born and massive stats! What more would you want:P

Sure of course he's perfect, zero calves born and massive stats! What more would you want:P
    Zero calves in Ireland I should say, he's got 362 recorded in the French system.

Zero calves in Ireland I should say, he's got 362 recorded in the French system.

I was looking at this earlier. Video of him also.
    http://www.genesdiffusion.com/Charolais/Charolais-detail.aspx?n=FR7613879841

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

whelan2 wrote: »

If its the guy I'm thinking of that lad would say mass! :D

Top ten replacement index bulls on the new Active Bull list
    2SmtPr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Had noticed the gene diffusion site before, see their bulls starting to be supplied in Irish AI

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I was thinking of using LM2214 on 3 Whitehead Heifers, they'll be 3 year old when calving. would lads think the 4.5% calving difficulty with only 40% Trait reliability is too risky?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No experience of using him, but if they're fed properly before calving I think you'd be safe enough. What weight are they?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

He's a new bull, that 4.5% figure means very little. I'd say it'll go a fair bit higher in a year or two. It's too risky on heifers I think, ZAG is probably the easiest calving limo NCBC have now and some of his calves can be big enough.

As Blue says, the condition of the heifers at calving is very important, if they're too fat they could have trouble with any bull.

Farrell wrote: »
    Had noticed the gene diffusion site before, see their bulls starting to be supplied in Irish AI

They have had bulls over here for years. NPP, and Repair are two that come to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

They have had bulls over here for years. NPP, and Repair are two that come to mind
    I like the Cryano bull, wonder how you can get straws.
    They also have Major & Panama

The maternal and terminal active bull lists don't show up when i click on them. Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

The maternal and terminal active bull lists don't show up when i click on them. Anyone else have this problem?

Its working for me anyway.... Did you spot interesting movements??

limo_100 wrote: »

Not really, OZS and ONI are down a bit, ZCH calving difficulty is very high now. Going to use ONI, S1624, ZGM and FSZ this year.

Not really, OZS and ONI are down a bit, ZCH calving difficulty is very high now. Going to use ONI, S1624, ZGM and FSZ this year.

Have you used S1624 before? His figures look very good. Jeez Bova are putting the larger AI stations to shame with the quality they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

limo_100 wrote: »

How do they judge what bulls to be included? Reason I ask is that ZLL is now seen as #1 with a Replacement Index of 269 yet last year the #1 bull was a Saler bull called Beguin. Now Beguin is nowhere to be seen on the list yet he is still the best bull out there with an index of 278.

I'm thinking it may be due to the fact that his straws can only be bought through the Saler society but even at that you'd think ICBF would report on the overall and not just those readily available in AI?

Have you used S1624 before? His figures look very good. Jeez Bova are putting the larger AI stations to shame with the quality they have.

They could do with a decent Charolais bull though.

Also last September they purchased a Curaheen Apostle son, a strange enough decision.

No, only got his straws this year, will put him on some Lim cows which are lacking a bit of milk.
    Bulls with an "S" code don't appear on the Active bull lists for some reason.

How do they judge what bulls to be included? Reason I ask is that ZLL is now seen as #1 with a Replacement Index of 269 yet last year the #1 bull was a Saler bull called Beguin. Now Beguin is nowhere to be seen on the list yet he is still the best bull out there with an index of 278.

I'm thinking it may be due to the fact that his straws can only be bought through the Saler society but even at that you'd think ICBF would report on the overall and not just those readily available in AI?

Two different lists. The active list only includes bulls that have straws available.

The overall list includes any bull that ever had a code

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

No, only got his straws this year, will put him on some Lim cows which are lacking a bit of milk.
    Bulls with an "S" code don't appear on the Active bull lists for some reason.

I forget who it was that told me but the s is because the supply is limited. I'm on the mobile so can't search but it was explained in this thread about a polled ch bull I asked about.
    Kjb is on my never again list. Cow calved at 307 days, calf still not up. I expect his figures may get a drastic overhaul in a bit.

Advertisement