Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding

Options
  • 10-04-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hows it goin.

I keep 25 suckler cows and there calves but am thinking of doing a bit of reseeding. Giving the small number of animals we have people are saying to me that it'll never pay me to do reseeding. I farm part time and have a full time job. I got soil samples done on all the farm and it came back that pH was low 5.5 - 5.8 ( Lime needed). P & K is ok on the farm. The land has never been reseeded. The way I was going to do it was disc harrow or power harrow the land and reseed that way. I wasent going to plough. Near rock in some areas. Some feilds will require some drainage but i was going to do the ones that were ok for drains first and build up from that.

What are your opinions on the above. What sort of costs would you reckon it would work out per acre between spray, seed and the reseeding. I think it will pay back evetually in return from fertiliser and possibly better quality silage. We suffered from a share a bad round bales this year ( Lot of white mould and some of them smelt rotton and were boiling inside them). Couldn't explain it. It was cut on time and saw no rain.

Peoples opinions were Grass too stemmy, not enough wrap on bales. Varying opinion on this. I'm baffled as some bales were perfect. I was hoping that if we cut of reseeded ground it might help with better quality silage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

happylad wrote: »
    Hows it goin.

I keep 25 suckler cows and there calves but am thinking of doing a bit of reseeding. Giving the small number of animals we have people are saying to me that it'll never pay me to do reseeding. I farm part time and have a full time job. I got soil samples done on all the farm and it came back that pH was low 5.5 - 5.8 ( Lime needed). P & K is ok on the farm. The land has never been reseeded. The way I was going to do it was disc and power harrow the land and reseed that way. I wasent going to plough. Near rock in some areas. Some feilds will require some drainage but i was going to do the ones that were ok for drains first and build up from that.

What are your opinions on the above. What sort of costs would you reckon it would work out per acre between spray, seed and the reseeding. I think it will pay back evetually in return from fertiliser and possibly better quality silage. We suffered from a share a bad round bales this year ( Lot of white mould and some of them smelt rotton and were boiling inside them). Couldn't explain it. It was cut on time and saw no rain.

Peoples opinions were Grass too stemmy, not enough wrap on bales. Varying opinion on this. I'm baffled as some bales were perfect. I was hoping that if we cut of reseeded ground it might help with better quality silage.

Everyone's land farm ect is diffrent, our farm was nearly all old pasture about ten years ago. Since then %95 of it has been put in new grass. I look at it as an investment. The difference in grass and silage quality is unbelievable, not to mention the regrowth. We spend so much on fertiliser ect and we need to get value for it. The new grass reseed responds faster and usess more of it. If done right you can get 10 years fantastic growth from it.

Advertisement