Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to County Waterford

Options
  • 10-04-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We are moving to Waterford during the summer with a 3 year old and a five year old.

Looking for ideas on a nice town/village to live in that is no further than 30 minutes from Waterford city which would be nice to bring up a family in.

Recommendations of good primary schools would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

30 minutes west from Waterford city gives you an outer edge as far as Kilmacthomas. Between there and Waterford you have Stradbally, Bonmahon, Kill, Dunhill, Ballyduff, Kilmeaden, Portlaw, Butlerstown, and a few other crossroad gatherings like Newtown, and Ballylaneen.

(Apologies if I've missed anyone)

There's also Tramore, as well as Dunmore and Passage on the east of Waterford city.

What will suit you best depends on what you want for your family: near to the coast, broadband speeds and price, local shops and pubs, sport and playground facilities, public transport, and a dozen other things.

Whoever lives in the above towns/villages will say their's is the best and their local school is the best.

Visit as many of the above as you can, talk to the locals, ask to visit the schools, and take it from there.

Good luck!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sailing dutch

Thanks so much for this information, we have just started looking at the towns/villages you mentioned. At first glance Stradbally looks like a lovely community. Will look at all the others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Fenor, is about 4 miles on the Dungarvan side of Tramore. Lovely little community out there and most importantly they probably have one of the best playgrounds in the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sorry, I forgot Fenor!

And yes, the playground there is great. Probably the Guinness talking now, but it's almost as much theme park as is it playground :)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Sorry, I forgot Fenor!

And yes, the playground there is great. Probably the Guinness talking now, but it's almost as much theme park as is it playground :)

Tramore probably has one of the worst playgrounds in the country. This frustrates me especially when we all know the populations of Tramore compared with Fenor.

But good on the Fenor community, my hat goes off to you guys, I bring my child out there all the time because she asks to go out there, that and the bonmahon playground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

taytobreath, are you talking about the playground beside the church? What makes it 'one of the worst in the country'?

looksee wrote: »
    taytobreath, are you talking about the playground beside the church? What makes it 'one of the worst in the country'?

The swings are constantly out of action due to vandalism and what not . And the general size of it compared with others in county Waterford.

I think there are plans to build a better one down by the boating lake, but I'm unsure at what stage that is.

Advertisement