Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison thread locked

Options
  • 10-04-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but just noticed this thread was locked.
    I would PM the mod to ask why but don't know who locked it or why cos there is no note with reasoning.
    Just curious.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056939549
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe PM Ruubot2 as I suspect he closed it.

Having a quick look it seems like the thread may have been a magnet for re-regs who might already have been the subject of prison threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I would imagine it was because in the latter stages of the thread people were discussing a specific banned poster. This is quite unfair, particularly as he does not have the right to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

ah right, I get that but up till then it was more a discussion on the admin and funny comments made.
    Would it not be better to remove the comments and just issue a bold warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

That thread was attracting all sorts of trolls, malcontents and just bad eggs.

The mod who locked it used their discretion, rightly in my view.

Having read some of the deleted posts ... I would have locked it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Ok, I can't see what ye can see so fair enough. Would be nice to have a "thanks" button though for some of the corkers from Zaph and Gordon.

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Would it not be better to remove the comments and just issue a bold warning?
    There was a load of comments removed.

Also, when you're dealing with re-regs warnings are pointless - they have no posting rights to threaten in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

It was attracting users who re regged, posts were being deleted already so it was becoming too much work. Also although it ran long, it is hardly fair to those banned users, a lot of insults and attacking them went on while they cannot respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I created the thread and I completely understand why it was locked.

To be honest, people didn't stick to the original title of the thread anyway, which was "Best Excuses People Have Used in Prison", but rather they just used it to post links of particularly amusing prison appeals.

Thanks for letting it run for so long, though and thanks for everyone's contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Now that the thread is out of the way, we need the hail to our overlord Gordon thread.

No offense to the other admins but he has the gift when it comes to dealing with the inmates. The main reason i even followed the prison thread was more often than not to see the warden in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Calhoun wrote: »
    Now that the thread is out of the way, we need the hail to our overlord Gordon thread.

No offense to the other admins but he has the gift when it comes to dealing with the inmates. The main reason i even followed the prison thread was more often than not to see the warden in action.

Has he always been in charge there?

• Advertisement

Has he always been in charge there?

I dont know but if the ban list is anything to go by he has is the Zeus of admins, 23K bans he only has Zaph on his tail with 10K.

I would wonder if he isnt some form of advanced AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I dont know but if the ban list is anything to go by he has is the Zeus of admins, 23K bans he only has Zaph on his tail with 10K.

I would wonder if he isnt some form of advanced AI.
    His lead was helped by a bog load of spam bots about two years ago. Zaph was close to taking his lead before that. I lost a tenner and a packet of XXX mints over that :(

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I wouldn't take that away from Gordon. Even with mad admin skillz, it takes a lot of dedication to ban hundreds of bots a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You clearly don't like xxx mints so.....

I thought it was down to some sneaky ninja scripting as apposed to clicks as such. I may be wrong.

MugMugs wrote: »

I thought it was down to some sneaky ninja scripting as apposed to clicks as such. I may be wrong.

How dare you talk ill of his lord of bannington :pac::pac:. On a serious note its not just the amount of ban's its how corporal punishment is administered, there is a certain finesse to it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The admin controls aren't as l33t as that. Much more point-and-click than text-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

fussyonion wrote: »

To be honest, people didn't stick to the original title of the thread anyway, which was "Best Excuses People Have Used in Prison", but rather they just used it to post links of particularly amusing prison appeals.

Thanks for letting it run for so long, though and thanks for everyone's contributions.

Congrats on getting your own little personal dig in at someone without the right of reply before it was locked though, good job.

icon14.png

The admin controls aren't as l33t as that. Much more point-and-click than text-based.
    Methinks there might have been a batch ban at some point to bump up those figures.

But if Gordon is the Batman, then Mr E is currently the Robin of perp fighting. His ban-numbers-to-time-as-admin stats are impressive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Zaph is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dades wrote: »
    Methinks there might have been a batch ban at some point to bump up those figures.

But if Gordon is the Batman, then Mr E is currently the Robin of perp fighting. His ban-numbers-to-time-as-admin stats are impressive. :)

Holy 7-more-years-to-the-top, Batman!

/punches palm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I'm the one who sort of "resurrected" that thread. I know what I linked to wasn't an excuse, I just thought it was very funny and nicely written.

I'm sorry it led to anyone getting into trouble.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zaph is my favourite.

:o

If only some of the inmates felt the same way.

Zaph wrote: »
    :o

If only some of the inmates felt the same way.

If it's any concolation they are hell of allot happier to see you than the head warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why thank you sir!
    His lead was helped by a bog load of spam bots about two years ago. Zaph was close to taking his lead before that. I lost a tenner and a packet of XXX mints over that :(
    Yeah, we were hit really hard a while ago, I was banning hundreds of accounts in each sitting sometimes. There were strong telltale signs of the automated spammers so I'd find them in the admin panel and copypaste the names into a text file, then I'd copy-alt-tab-paste-tab-copy-alt-tab-paste literally hundreds of times at some points, we had that much spam every day a while back. Thankfully the lads made a batch tool before eventually tightening the registration process; we don't get as much bot spam now thanks to them.

80% of my bancount is probably automated bot spammers over the years. Probably 60% of the bot spammers were in that period of 9 months or so.

The attachment shows an idea of what our spam was like then - the pink line is a particular type of spambot, the blue is all banned accounts in total. November/December 2011 and Jan/Feb 2012 hit us all really hard, mods and admins were working hard to remove the spam.

Haha, no thank you :) some of the prison thread is just epic :), its the one forum i check religiously to see if anything good pops up.

You guys really have allot of crap to put up with so its good to see there is an element of humor to it :).

Advertisement