Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aeropress Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Registration opened @ 7, only 18 slots so act quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

Thanks for the heads up, registered! :)

US champion has been crowned. Top three list their winning recipes:

http://sprudge.com/the-top-3-aeropress-recipes-from-the-us-aeropress-championship.html

OK so, I picked up a second AP today so I can do some side-by-side comparisons in preparation for the IAC. Aside from brewing for customers in work, (a set recipe), I don't really use the AP.

So I ask you Boardies, what are your favored AP recipes? I'll post my progress coming up to & will tweet from the event (@joemacgiollari) if possible.

It should be a bit of fun so if your free you might come along. For any Coffeeangel regulars, there are five of us from the shop competing.

Looking forward to it, I've never been involved in something like this before!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck,

I've 2 methods I use, one is the wendleboe method. A bit light on the coffee, I ususally go with more than 14g.

Then I sometimes use an inverted method just to be a bit different.

• Advertisement

snollup wrote: »
    OK so, I picked up a second AP today so I can do some side-by-side comparisons in preparation for the IAC. Aside from brewing for customers in work, (a set recipe), I don't really use the AP.

So I ask you Boardies, what are your favored AP recipes? I'll post my progress coming up to & will tweet from the event (@joemacgiollari) if possible.

It should be a bit of fun so if your free you might come along. For any Coffeeangel regulars, there are five of us from the shop competing.

Looking forward to it, I've never been involved in something like this before!

I thought there were six of you guys competing? a THIRD of the contest no less :-D

A second AP would be handy at the mo but I'm making do by testing two slightly different cups each day then tweaking my recipe.

This day next week - should be good fun. Never done anything like this either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Competitor list
    http://irishaeropress.tumblr.com/post/84452116190/introducing-your-irish-aeropress-championship

Best of luck to all forum members participating!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Is there an entry fee for this? Myself and a mate were planning on popping in for a look.

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Is there an entry fee for this? Myself and a mate were planning on popping in for a look.

I don't think so, they encourage more people to come along as far as I know.

The story so far.....

Have only really had a chance to play around with different brew methods yesterday & today.

The coffee I've been using is a washed Rwandan.

First off I compared one minute brews, fine grind, 30 seconds brew & 30 seconds press, one using normal AP filter the other usiing a Chemex paper cut to size.

I found both seemed to lack body but the Chemex brew givinig a cleaner cut (as you might expect) but neither blew me away.

Next up was another one minute brew, Chemex filter v's Able Disk. Able was a definite improvement. Brought out far more of the nuances of the coffee.

That was yesterday. Today I changed to inverted with more of a filter grind.

My first method was 17g of coffee, 240g water one minute off the boil. 50g bloom for 30 seconds stiring five time to insure all coffee was wet then adding remaining water with no further stirring.

Firstly it was AP filter paper v's Able disk, one minute thirty seconds brew with thirty second press.

AP paper seemed really quite under extracted with this method while the Able seemed to find it's sweet spot! Really well balanced with lots of sweetness. Definitely the leader so far.

My last effort today was as above but with a slightly courser grind (roughly the same as you would gring for Chemex) and increasing the brew time to two minutes with a 30 second press.

This time the Able was over extracted while the AP filter was really good. Sweet, nutty with a lovely acidity at the end.

If I get a chance before Thursday I will play around using a Chemex paper again but if not it will be either the 2 minute method using the Able or the 2.30 using the AP filter.

Will need to set the alarm a little earlier this week so I can compare the two methods side by side.

God I must have too much time on my hands!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck, don't forget to post your final recipe.

One question, when using inverted, would 240g of water not have it overflowing at the top? I find 200g of water brings it right to the top.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck, don't forget to post your final recipe.

One question, when using inverted, would 240g of water not have it overflowing at the top? I find 200g of water brings it right to the top.

No, comes right to the brim.

I've been trying to dial in the coffee I've chosen to use the past couple of days. Times like this I'd like to have a refractometer to compare notes with! :-D

hard-at-it.jpg

snollup wrote: »
    No, comes right to the brim.

Plus if you gently fold down the bloom on the preinfusion you'll get more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

The scots had a great poster for it:

eQCPOwV.jpg

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    The scots had a great poster for it

Saw that, the Singapore one was cool too! The Dutch one was nice and clean with the Swiss going for a more illustrative painterly version with some lovely colours. Like the simplicity of the Australian regional and final ones too and just seen the new one for italy which is also nice (all listed here):

http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Congrats to Monika from CoffeAngel South Anne Street on her victory last night.

She seemed to have the most straigtforward method too, no messing around with inverting the aeropress or metal filters, just grind beans, add water, stir and press.

Have to say the smell when the competitors were grinding their coffee was unreal!!

Was good fun to take part last night. Craig (second) was in my group and was using the same coffee which I'd highly recommend trying:

3fe - Columbia, La Pradera.

Nice to be able to go have an espresso now and not feel guilty about practicing different aeropress recipes :-D

The final:
    IMG_0693.jpg

And the winner is.....

IMG_0698.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

And the recipe if anyone is interested. Is this not similar if not identical to the coffee angel recipe?
    Perhaps snollup can confirm?

15G of Coffeeangel Konga Co-op freshly & finely ground (just a little coarser than espresso)
    240ML of H2o at approx 94oC
    Total brew time 60 seconds

1) Pour hot H2o down inner wall of AP to ensure complete saturation & maximise turbulence,
    2) Stir fully only once,
    3) Begin plunge with 20 seconds remaining,
    4) Cease plunge when you hear the hiss of air,
    5) Decant into appropriate drinking vessel & let rest for a minute or two... then enjoy!

Advertisement