Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer boot issue

Options
  • 10-04-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So I'm having an issue with my computer. WhenI turned it on this morning it wouldn't load past the Asus screen and I wasn't able to go into bios the boot device led is on permanently on red so I assume it is an hdd issue when I remove the drive I can get into bios. The drive still spins up because I can hear it is there a way to check the drive before I just buy a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

blueyblue wrote: »
    So I'm having an issue with my computer. WhenI turned it on this morning it wouldn't load past the Asus screen and I wasn't able to go into bios the boot device led is on permanently on red so I assume it is an hdd issue when I remove the drive I can get into bios. The drive still spins up because I can hear it is there a way to check the drive before I just buy a new one.

Connect it to a caddy and run a chkdsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you think the disk is on the way out then the last thing you want to do is run is chkdsk it could be the final straw.

Best thing to do is to boot from a USB stick and see if you can see the drive. Then copy and files you haven't got copies of to external media.

You can then run disk checking software like chkdsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

FSL wrote: »
    If you think the disk is on the way out then the last thing you want to do is run is chkdsk it could be the final straw.

Best thing to do is to boot from a USB stick and see if you can see the drive. Then copy and files you haven't got copies of to external media.

You can then run disk checking software like chkdsk.

Where does he say he wants to recover the data?

Advertisement