Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Trip - buying an RV

Options
  • 10-04-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there, me and my friend are going on a road trip in the West Coast of America in a month. So far, our plan is to buy an RV, then resell it on the way home. We plan on staying in America for 2-3 months.

Has anyone on Boards tried something similiar and could offer any much needed advice? We are struggling to find any info related to insurance, specifically.

The RV is an attractive idea because it saves money on hostels, etc, aswell as allowing a great deal of freedom, but we are also open to any other ways of travelling the coast. Anyone else have experience with other means of travel - public transport, camping, etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hi there, me and my friend are going on a road trip in the West Coast of America in a month. So far, our plan is to buy an RV, then resell it on the way home. We plan on staying in America for 2-3 months.

Has anyone on Boards tried something similiar and could offer any much needed advice? We are struggling to find any info related to insurance, specifically.

The RV is an attractive idea because it saves money on hostels, etc, aswell as allowing a great deal of freedom, but we are also open to any other ways of travelling the coast. Anyone else have experience with other means of travel - public transport, camping, etc?

You need an American drivers license and insurance to buy and register a vehicle.

Just rent, it's easier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyone else have experience with other means of travel - public transport, camping, etc?

We've done Minneapolis to Seattle by train twice now and its really fun. If you've never done a multi night train trip its something to experience.

A cabin is important though.

http://www.amtrak.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyone else have experience with other means of travel - public transport, camping, etc?

Renting a car and camping is probably the cheapest way to go. I supose you could go public transport and hostels, eugh, but at that point is it any fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Some of the Greyhound buses are pretty nice now - wifi, etc. Depending on where you travel, you may find some interesting characters on the bus. Most people who ride buses here (besides commuters) do it because they don't have a car.

Renting a car is probably the best idea. You can also go up a step and rent a conversion van if you want something with more room. http://www.abcvanrental.com/van-rental/conversion-van-rental/

Or go crazy and rent a Sprinter (Mercedes) van. http://rentasprinter.com/?ibp-adgroup=ppc&ibp-keyword=12%20seater%20van%20rental&gclid=CJeDuZCi170CFW5eOgodYFgA7Q

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Afaik a social security number is needed to buy a vehicle in USA

• Advertisement
Advertisement