Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutritional qualifications

• 10-04-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Something I've been wondering for a long time on here. So many posters give opinions on dog and cat food, do any API posters have any animal nutrition qualifications, or studied it at all? Not having a go at anybody, just wondering as so much is posted, with different theories, I wondered where the information comes from. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

muddypaws wrote: »
    Something I've been wondering for a long time on here. So many posters give opinions on dog and cat food, do any API posters have any animal nutrition qualifications, or studied it at all? Not having a go at anybody, just wondering as so much is posted, with different theories, I wondered where the information comes from. :)

I get alot of mine from websites like Dogsfirst.ie to be honest. I have had the vet try to tell me I shouldn't be feeding my dog raw meat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lemlin wrote: »
    I get alot of mine from websites like Dogsfirst.ie to be honest. I have had the vet try to tell me I shouldn't be feeding my dog raw meat though.

Usually because the vet doesnt sell raw meat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Usually because the vet doesnt sell raw meat :p

But could the same not be said about companies such as Dogsfirst, who slate dry food? Is that not because they don't sell it, they sell raw, so that's what they'll say is the best? Everybody who sells things has an agenda I think.

And do you ever check to see what qualifications are held by people who run sites like that? I know a lot of people recommend some dog food analysis sites, but again, me being the cynic that I am, I wonder what qualifications those people have, and, how do they make their money? Everything's a conspiracy I tell ya :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

But could the same not be said about companies such as Dogsfirst, who slate dry food? Is that not because they don't sell it, they sell raw, so that's what they'll say is the best? Everybody who sells things has an agenda I think.

It could be, easily.

The fact is that (IMO) dog food is just like people food. Yes, there are forms that are simply bad for a dog nomatter what way you dress it up, and some that should be good for them. But that's not to say that it will suit!
    You have to take the dog's personal preference, weight, eating habits and normal digestion into account as well as allergies and health conditions.

Not in a month of Sundays could I sustain my dog on a raw diet, it just doesn't suit him. But obviously a company selling raw food isn't going to say "This stuff is great, but best you don't buy it in case it doesn't agree with your dog".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't have any nutritional qualifications but for the average layperson to analyse the nutritional content on a bag of dry food you would need some kind of scientific degree! There's usually two lists on dry food - ingredients and analytical constituents and for the average pet owner to know what percentage of protein/fat/fibres etc that they should be feeding is highly unlikely. They believe the speil on the pack which extols the virtues of the food, telling the purchaser that it's;

"Optimum nutrition"
    "Rich in meat"
    "wholesome ingredients"
    "complete"
    "Contains fresh chicken and rice" (seriously the use of the word "fresh" on a processed food really irks me!)
    "naturally hypoallergenic"

Along with plenty of other phrases to ease the worries of the consumer, and it makes even the most rubbish of foods sounds absolutely fantastic.

And it worries me that for a person to achieve a long and healthy life they should eat fresh, wholesome food, and less (if any) processed food. We're warned by our doctors, print media, and there's even a whole range of TV programmes dedicated to our health and the dangers of eating the wrong foods (Supersize/Superskinny, Secret Eaters, Operation Transformation etc) We're warned on the danger of Cholesterol, diabetes, heart health, organ health and it's all linked back to our diet and exersize.

Yet - we're told to feed our pets a diet of processed food from the time they can eat solids to the day they die. This is what doesn't make sense to me, and why I'm wary of the claims that dry food companies make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

And do you ever check to see what qualifications are held by people who run sites like that? I know a lot of people recommend some dog food analysis sites, but again, me being the cynic that I am, I wonder what qualifications those people have, and, how do they make their money? Everything's a conspiracy I tell ya :D:P

http://dogsfirst.ie/about-dogs-first/
    About Conor Brady
    My doctorate studied the affects of diet on the mammalian digestive system and their resulting behaviour. I went on to become a guide dog trainer and pup supervisor. After a number of incidents came to light I spent two years studying canine nutrition and allergy full time. In the last five years I have worked independently as a canine nutritionist, giving seminars and workshops recognised by veterinary councils to canine professionals and dog owners alike. I advise numerous dog groups, breeders and owners daily on the benefits of the right foods to form and function.

I feed a mix of both myself. Raw and nuts. I was feeding Skinners but have moved to Markus Muhle recently.

2 of my dogs are raw fed 4 days, nut fed 2 days. Then a fast day. The older dog wouldn't be used to raw and is to old to change now so is nut fed with the odd meat treat.

http://dogsfirst.ie/about-dogs-first/

About Conor Brady
    My doctorate studied the affects of diet on the mammalian digestive system and their resulting behaviour. I went on to become a guide dog trainer and pup supervisor. After a number of incidents came to light I spent two years studying canine nutrition and allergy full time. In the last five years I have worked independently as a canine nutritionist, giving seminars and workshops recognised by veterinary councils to canine professionals and dog owners alike. I advise numerous dog groups, breeders and owners daily on the benefits of the right foods to form and function.

I feed a mix of both myself. Raw and nuts. I was feeding Skinners but have moved to Markus Muhle recently.

2 of my dogs are raw fed 4 days, nut fed 2 days. Then a fast day. The older dog wouldn't be used to raw and is to old to change now so is nut fed with the odd meat treat.

Oh I didn't realise he'd spent two years studying canine nutrition and allergy, I must ask him where that was, and if the course is still available, I was aware of his doctorate, and that it wasn't dogs. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

As an aside... We switched Jack to Markus Mühle a few weeks back. My god the difference in him, and his, ahem... Poos!

Gonna get Hugo onto it as soon as the 15kg bag of Royal Canin is out.

Interestingly above, Lemlin is feeding a mix of this and raw. And that's our goal. For them both.

Now, back on topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's a component of the veterinary nursing syllabus.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »

Is that component by a dog food company Boomerang, or an academic? I know that's another thing that's commonly said on here and other discussion boards, that there is no nutritional training available except that given by food manufacturers, don't know if that is true or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hooked wrote: »
    Interestingly above, Conor in dogs first is feeding a mix of this and raw. And that's our goal. For them both.

To clarify, that bit of that post was Lemlin speaking, not part of Dogs First's quote.

Taught by the teaching staff, muddypaws, who would have their own biases, but we still learn the nuts and bolts of canine and feline nutrition, which you can't put a slant on! Of course RC and Hills' have reps that come and give guest lectures on nutrition that favour their own brands. Same goes in vet practices; those guest talks to staff earn CPD points that vets and nurses are required to rack up every year so there is strong incentive to have the rep come in and give what is essentially a sales pitch!

A friend who is in final year in UCD told me there is practically nothing on the syllabus about nutrition and the college does depend on the pet food companies to come in and fill that gap for the students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Same as Boomerang, from veterinary nursing. Funny thing is the Hills nutrition course is really good in the case of canine and feline nutrition basics, but it did also convince me to never feed Hills to my dog!

That's good to know, Rommie!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

boomerang wrote: »

I know someone doing vet nursing, and she told me they actually push and recommend Hill's Science Plan as being one of the best, so it'd make you wonder!

That's a teacher pushing a personal opinion I bet - what we learned was nutrition, not brands. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

The Hills course was very odd because it was all for pushing high meat content foods and dogs don't need that many carbs etc, but all you have to do is look at their food and it's a bit hypocritical. It was a few years ago when I did the nursing course but we definitely didn't have anyone pushing the foods on us to sell. Then again, one of our lecturers also apparently had no idea what the difference between dog and cat food was and said it didn't matter >_< Didn't appreciate being asked about Taurine though. Said lecturer was also a vet :0

Advertisement