Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescue my spaghetti bolognese please!!

Options
  • 10-04-2014 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Made this 2day but forgot it was in the oven not the slow cooker!was on a low heat and didn't burn but really reduced down.Its for lunch tomorrow but it tastes pretty salty because of the over reduction.any tips for how to rescue it please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Make a tomato sauce and mix it through?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

eh thats lasagne not bolognese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

See if a little hot water works?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just add whatever has evaporated away, i.e. water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Miss flitworth,was going to throw in another tin of tomatoes tomorrow when i was reheating it.Might that work.

^^^
    what's lasagna not bolognese?

• Advertisement

maryfred wrote: »
    Miss flitworth,was going to throw in another tin of tomatoes tomorrow when i was reheating it.Might that work.
    The tomatoes haven't evaporated, only the water that was in them, so adding tomatoes will just make it extra tomato-ey.

Alun,good point! Will try the water tomorrow when I'm reheating,def needs some type of liquid.

I'd add it now to be honest, bit by bit just to make sure you don't add too much. Leaving it overnight will just mean it will dry out even more.

Will have to wait as I'm away until tomorrow,hence my forward planning!The best laid plans and all that! Should have posted this earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Will have to wait as I'm away until tomorrow,hence my forward planning!The best laid plans and all that! Should have posted this earlier!

A few fresh tomatoes (skins off) and a bit of beef stock and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

fresh tomatoes and glug of red wine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fresh tomatoes and glug of red wine

Even better!

I already have beef stock in,only have stock cubes left and don't want to introduce any more salt to the situation.didn't put wine into this one but could add some tomorrow with the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

As the previous poster said, just water will suffice. If you ever over salt something, lemon juice will bring it back from the edge

^^^
    can't quote on my phone,but thanks for the lemon juice tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

^^^
    can't quote on my phone,but thanks for the lemon juice tip.

I won't take it back from the inedible but only if it's only just over salted. Same applies if you add too much chilli to a dish, something sweet will bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Balsamic Vinegar might be a better bet for a Bolognese than Lemon Juice (it's the sourness that counteracts the salt btw, so anything sour will do, and Balsamic just seems a more "natural" fit for an Italian dish than Lemon juice)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Balsamic vinegar is perfect. I usually add some vinegar and sugar to counteract any saltiness for my sauces.

Remember to only add a little at a time to taste. If you add to little, you can add more. But if you add too much, you can't remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Like others have said : it is water that has evaporated off this dish so it is water should be put back to return it to its proper consistency.

Adding wine, tomatoes, stock, lemon, balsamic etc. will change the flavour - fine if that's what the OP wants, otherwise just stick to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭whavin

A tomato sauce, ones that are common used for pizza's would do the trick, I would be more inclined to use this rather than water as it could weaken / water down any flavour built up with any herbs or stock

• Advertisement

The dish was perfectly OK before it was overcooked a bit too much and thickened up due to the evaporation of WATER which has also concentrated the flavour including making it saltier. Adding back the WATER that evaporated away won't weaken the flavour, just return it back to what it was before it was overcooked.

Alun wrote: »
    The dish was perfectly OK before it was overcooked a bit too much and thickened up due to the evaporation of WATER which has also concentrated the flavour including making it saltier. Adding back the WATER that evaporated away won't weaken the flavour, just return it back to what it was before it was overcooked.

Best of luck with it

whavin wrote: »
    Best of luck with it
    What's that supposed to mean? What do you think happened to the tomatoes and other flavourings that were already in it when the OP prepared it? Did they magically disappear somehow when she overcooked it?

Alun wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean? What do you think happened to the tomatoes and other flavourings that were already in it when the OP prepared it? Did they magically disappear somehow when she overcooked it?

You could do with a bit of diluting yourself, it's an open thread where anyone can offer an opinion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

whavin wrote: »
    You could do with a bit of diluting yourself, it's an open thread where anyone can offer an opinion

Please read the forum charter - personal insults and jibes will not be tolerated. If you continue, your posting rights may be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

OP I am intrigued by this dish, can you describe it a lil bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

tumblr_m70ka477gP1qaro01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

hardCopy wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]

I don't get it!

Ah lads,calm down! Tis only a spaghetti bolognese!! (-; Anyway,thanks to all who gave suggestions. Went with water and balsamic vinegar and it came out perfect. Fed 6 hungry people and not a spoonful left,so result methinks! (-:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jezek wrote: »
    I don't get it!

It's from a classic Simpson's episode:
    While skateboarding, Bart accidentally throws gum into Lisa's hair while she puts a Duff into a Garbage bin. Marge tries to get the gum out of Lisa's hair with peanut butter and mayonnaise. Lisa then goes outside to let the mix sink in, but is chased around by a swarm of bees. After escaping them Marge is still trying to remove the gum out of Lisa's hair. After Ned suggests freezing it out, he accidentally mashes more hair into it. Soon, everyone comes in to the Simpson's kitchen to offer suggestions: Dr. Hibbert, Lionel Hutz, Sideshow Mel, Otto, Captain McCallister and Üter. Lisa goes to Jake the Barber to get her hair cut. With a small bald spot from the hair getting cut, she gets it restyled, which makes Lisa look more like a real person. She leaves the barber shop, and Nelson laughs at her ridiculous hair.

Advertisement