Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Where you hearing this?

Don't say twitter...

I won't say Twitter.

A simple Google search will solve your worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cesc to Chelsea:(

Nooo!!!

Will never, ever happen, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

bad2dabone wrote: »
    it's rumoured on the mirror page. I'd hate if he went to United, but if he went to chelsea I'd vomit.
    Chelsea.
    Vile.

Wouldn't take much note of what the mirror write. Most of there stuff is regurgitated crap from the weekend.

You're best bet for the Cesc rumours would be David Ornstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The media seem to be desperate for Cesc to join anyone but us, they'll be linking him to spurs next

Cesc has pretty much gone on record to say he detests Maureen though?

Wouldn't put too much weight on him joining Chelsea. If he did, he would have an absolutely torrid time in London, one would imagine.

Until he's holding a rivals shirt, i can't see him joining anyone else.

Snatchy wrote: »
    Lads - I've been reading the Arsenal threads for ages but was only granted the right to post last night.

I'll let my first post be as follows:

I live near Highbury and was boarding the Eurostar to Brussels with the gf at 6.30am and as I was walking down the very quiet platform, in the distance I saw a tall green figure approaching. As she came nearer, I started noticing details - long legs, massive heals, elegant green suit, expensive handbag, perfect hair and make up (at 0630!!!) etc. etc.

Naturally, at that ungodly hour of the morning, the momentary "thought" of what I wouldn't do to her crossed my mind (the gf was too busy eating her muffin to notice :P).

So distracted I was, by this woman's appearance that it was only 5 seconds or so before we crossed paths that I noticed that there was a man lugging a suitcase behind her.

Mr. Arséne Wenger.

I nearly sh*t myself with a combination of laughter and excitement.

Goes to show - no matter how famous and powerful, boys will be boys and the boys always be chasing tail. Or in Wenger's case, lugging his missus' stuff as she strutts ahead! He looked very pleased with himself...

Great story mate :)

Wenger must have got money off his breakfast perhaps? :pac:

Wouldn't put too much weight on him joining Chelsea. If he did, he would have an absolutely torrid time in London, one would imagine.

Until he's holding a rivals shirt, i can't see him joining anyone else.

Cesc is not a defender either which he'd have to do alot of in the big games under Jose.

A thing that crossed my mind while digesting the Champions league final outcome the other night.

Initially i was heartbroken for Atletico who for me emphasise what is great about football in terms of triumph over adversity and teamwork....but the fact that such a classy gentleman like Ancelloti has come in first season and won the Champions league trophy, this after being sacked by Chelsea in 2011 and having replaced Mourinho at Real who COULDNT WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE for them and STILL CANT MANAGE to win it for Chelsea is just great. Makes it easier to accept :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Fabregas has been linked to Utd, Us, City, Liverpool and now Chelsea all in the last week. Basically nobody has a clue where he will end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

seems to be correct:
    Cesc Fabregas has told Jose Mourinho to “mind his own business” after hitting back at the Chelsea manager’s claim that the current Barcelona team is the worst for “many, many years”.
    “He should talk about Chelsea and their tie,” said Barca’s Fabregas after their 2-0 win at Manchester City. “I don’t think he should talk about anything else. It is not his business. If we have to get motivated by Mourinho’s comments we shouldn’t play football. We are top of the table, in the cup final, in a good moment in the Champions League.
    “Some people want us to fail all the time, some people have been talking a bit too much, for a few days they will have to shut up.”

Do Arsenal need another midfielder all the same? If Cesc comes in then as far as im concerned someone has to make way. Id get shot of Santi to be honest. Of course Diaby is crocked too so he'd be probably the more obvious choice although i actually like the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Cesc will end up at city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So keep Diaby, and get rid of Santi? have I woken up in an alternate world where Darren Anderton was world playet of the year before or am I reading this thread wrong?

Do Arsenal need another midfielder all the same? If Cesc comes in then as far as im concerned someone has to make way. Id get shot of Santi to be honest. Of course Diaby is crocked too so he'd be probably the more obvious choice although i actually like the guy.

I'd get rid of podolski and arteta before santi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I would get rid of Flamini long before i would get rid of Arteta.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    I would get rid of Flamini long before i would get rid of Arteta.

Maybe so but arteta had only one year left can see him going

Maybe so but arteta had only one year left can see him going

Flamini only does too though. Both should go next season but if i was to keep one would be Arteta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How did getting rid of Santi even surface here? Who is responsible for even thinking this? I demand a ban for the offender!

How our attitude has changed in a short time, not long ago we were cribbing about buying nobody, now we're cribbing about buying another midfielder. With our track record with injuries there's no doubt a few extra bodies wouldn't go astray, might as well have strength in depth instead of inexperienced/not good enough players making up the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Looks like Chelsea trying to get fabregas

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    So keep Diaby, and get rid of Santi? have I woken up in an alternate world where Darren Anderton was world playet of the year before or am I reading this thread wrong?

Think you need to read my post again sunshine. I said i like Diaby as a player but he'd probably be the most logical choice to ship out if we are bringing in another midfielder. Santi had a good cup final but im not a fan. Far too windy for me and between following both Tipp and Arsenal im sick of windy players

salmocab wrote: »
    How did getting rid of Santi even surface here? Who is responsible for even thinking this? I demand a ban for the offender!

Sure and sure while we're at it we could set up concentration camps for dissenters who dare to differ in opinion to the mainstream :rolleyes:

wonga77 wrote: »
    How our attitude has changed in a short time, not long ago we were cribbing about buying nobody, now we're cribbing about buying another midfielder. With our track record with injuries there's no doubt a few extra bodies wouldn't go astray, might as well have strength in depth instead of inexperienced/not good enough players making up the squad

Well we haven't bought anyone yet to be fair. We are just discussing potential and perhaps likely transfers hypothetically. Its not an absurd suggestion to propose that Wenger should perhaps prioritise defensive players and strikers more to yet another creative player. We cant have a squad of attacking midfielders.

On the basis that Diaby can play a deeper role and is very athletic id advocate him being given another chance to prove his fitness but id accept that if we buy a midfielder we'd have to release one and he is most likely.

Of course he hasn't bought anyone yet and i wouldn't be surprised if come August 31st that this remains the case.

EDIT: Thats a good point you make re the injury record though

I'd get rid of podolski and arteta before santi

Arteta i agree although i do like the guy and would wish him well. Good honest sort.

Pod though for me is a real goal threat. Had a poor cup final but given we lack the 'go for the throat' in tight games i think Pod is great to have around. Santi...brilliant when were cruising but when we are behind he is nowhere to be seen (ironically the cup final being the exception to this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd be shocked if Wenger let Fabregas go to another PL club without trying to get him

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Wenger let Fabregas go to another PL club without trying to get him

We have the buyout clause although i think the current market value is lower i believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

We have the buyout clause although i think the current market value is lower i believe?

That's nonsense, surely. Fabregas is certainly worth more than Mata is. No way is his market value less than £30 million.

That's nonsense, surely. Fabregas is certainly worth more than Mata is. No way is his market value less than £30 million.

Barcelona want Fabregas out to supposedly fund Koke. If that means selling him a little cheaper then so be it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Why would he be worth more than Mata?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

If I were Wenger I would be doing everything in my power to get Cesc, even if it was so other teams couldn't get him! He is going to be worth at least 25 goals (including assists) to any team next season to whoever gets him. And Arsenal cant really afford to let other teams get further ahead of them.

• Advertisement

Why would he be worth more than Mata?

Better player

Some defenders and a top class striker are priorities, I understand that, but we also can't afford to let a top midfielder slip if we have a chance of getting him.
    I like diaby but realistically we can't depend on him at this stage, arteta is getting slower, flamini isn't getting any younger and can be a liability at times picking up cards, rosicky hasn't much left in the legs either
    Btw how did coq do out on loan this year? I lost track of him

Raf32 wrote: »
    Better player

Mata was probably the best player in England over the two year period before he joined United, one was his debut season. Fabregas' last two seasons for Barca don't compare to it

At this moment Mata is worth more than him

Mata was probably the best player in England over the two year period before he joined United, one was his debut season. Fabregas' last two seasons for Barca don't compare to it

The Spanish manager seems to think different since Fabregas has vastly more International appearances than him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    The Spanish manager seems to think different since Fabregas has vastly more International appearances than him.

That would be relevant if they played in the same position, they don't.

That would be relevant if they played in the same position, they don't.

Do both of them not play as attacking midfielders for Spain?

Suarez was better than Mata in the 2012 - 2013 season.

In Mata's best season he had 12 Goals & 12 Assists in 35 Apps (BPL)
    Fabregas had 11 Goals & 11 Assists in 31 Apps in the same season.

Its close between them but i'd prefure Fabregas.. But sure i'm a little biased :D

Suarez was better than Mata in the 2012 - 2013 season.

In Mata's best season he had 12 Goals & 12 Assists in 35 Apps (BPL)
    Fabregas had 11 Goals & 11 Assists in 31 Apps in the same season.

Its close between them but i'd prefure Fabregas.. But sure i'm a little biased :D

I said over the two season period, Mata scored 32 goals with 48 assists and was vital in Chelsea winning two European cups.

I think it's clear as it stands that Mata is worth more.

If you'r talking about who's the better player, taking both their careers so far Cesc is ahead but that doesn't mean he's worth more now.

The amount Arteta regressed last year means we've basically lost a midfielder compared to last summer. I still want a proper DM rather than an Arteta but that's splitting hairs a bit.

"Replacing" Arteta along with a high standard RB as well as any other players we lose leaves us standing still. Top striker on top of that with a bit of depth in the DM/CB area would leave us in a position to push on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

I said over the two season period, Mata scored 32 goals with 48 assists and was vital in Chelsea winning two European cups.

If you'r talking about who's the better player, taking both their careers so far Cesc is ahead but that doesn't mean he's worth more now.

Do you not think Mata's stock has fallen in the past year. He wasnt great when given a chance with Chelsea at the beginning of the season. Some of his defensive weaknesses were exposed under Mourinhos system and the system didnt suit him to be fair, and altough he done very well, he wasn't amazing the second half of the season with United.
    I think Mata is a great player and to be fair, him not having his greatest season was down to a lot of things that werent in his control. I do think that Fabregas is on a different level than Mata however, and 30 million for Fabregas in a market where Luiz is worth 50 and Adam Lallana is valued over 25 is the bargain of the summer.

Yes I think his stock had fallen and that's why United got him for 38m, could have been a lot more the summer before

Everything I've posted so far is applying logic to the market but the market is so often illogical

30m is good for a world class CM, he's not had a great last couple of seasons so I'd say his market value is probably between 30-35m really. I'd be surprised if he went for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wouldn't say he was vital in either of Chelsea's victories in Europe. Went missing a lot in all the big games. Chelsea's steely defence and Drogba were what was vital for the CL. He was was good in the group stages though.

According to Metro we've offered 30M for Balotelli.
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/02/arsenal-offered-30m-deal-for-ac-milan-striker-mario-balotelli-4746774/

But keep in mind there are zero quotes in the article and Metro are usually pretty crap :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

According to Metro we've offered 30M for Balotelli.
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/02/arsenal-offered-30m-deal-for-ac-milan-striker-mario-balotelli-4746774/

But keep in mind there are zero quotes in the article and Metro are usually pretty crap :pac:

This is what metro news journalist do to generate stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Anybody else get a season ticket off today?

3rd year running I've got a call/email from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Would love Cesc back but doubt Barca will let him go.

It's all just guaranteed clicks for the media.

Barca have to replace GK and come up with probably 2 CB's.

Then they also need to strengthen their attack.

Selling Fab would be very silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Would love Cesc back but doubt Barca will let him go.

It's all just guaranteed clicks for the media.

Barca have to replace GK and come up with probably 2 CB's.

Then they also need to strengthen their attack.

Selling Fab would be very silly.

Especially with Xavi close to retirement

greendom wrote: »
    Especially with Xavi close to retirement

Fabregas won't replace Xavi.
    They tried playing him there and it didn't work.

I'm pretty confident that he'll be leaving Barcelona this year.. But who he'll go to i'm unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fabregas won't replace Xavi.
    They tried playing him there and it didn't work.

I'm pretty confident that he'll be leaving Barcelona this year.. But who he'll go to i'm unsure.

But even so that's 2 crucial midfield positions that will need replacing. I think and hope that they stick with Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

IT now has a Guardian article saying that Arsenal has turned down Cesc. Pinch of salt and all that, but I struggle to see the sense if it is true.

After the season Ramsey has had I would understand a desire to let him continue to grow into the CM position but after the season Ramsey has had I would also very much understand a desire to have backup for him - especially a former club captain with an undoubted love and respect for the club.

As someone else has said above, one also has to consider the goals he will score for one of Arsenal's direct competitors. It would certainly crowd midfield but in my view he is waaay too good to pass up - presuming of course that the price is reasonable (agree he is worth 30m as someone else has said).

Ideal signing for MU in particular.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement