Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fabregas is signing for Chelsea, you seem to be a bit off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

gosplan wrote: »
    Would love Cesc back but doubt Barca will let him go.

It's all just guaranteed clicks for the media.

Barca have to replace GK and come up with probably 2 CB's.

Then they also need to strengthen their attack.

Selling Fab would be very silly.

Well he hasn't exactly set the world alight at Barcelona Gosplan. It's not that silly.

You make it sound like he's been playing amazingly at Barca when in reality he's been very hit and miss even been booed off a few times by Barca fan's.

The dream move hasn't worked out I feel somewhat for the lad, he won a few things there but he won't go down as a Barca legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looper007 wrote: »
    Well he hasn't exactly set the world alight at Barcelona Gosplan. It's not that silly.

You make it sound like he's been playing amazingly at Barca when in reality he's been very hit and miss even been booed off a few times by Barca fan's.

The dream move hasn't worked out I feel somewhat for the lad, he won a few things there but he won't go down as a Barca legend.
    Not if he leaves now. If he sticks it he could become one. He has the ability.

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Wenger let Fabregas go to another PL club without trying to get him

I'm in the camp that thinks we won't sign cause simply we don't need him. Be nice to get him back but I won't like to see us pay over the price for him seen as we have more important positions to fill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm in the camp that thinks we won't sign cause simply we don't need him. Be nice to get him back but I won't like to see us pay over the price for him seen as we have more important positions to fill out.

What team doesnt need world class players? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Dm Ramsey
    Theo cesc ozil

Who says we can't get him in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Dm Ramsey
    Theo cesc ozil

That's a bit of a recipe for disaster unless the DM happens to be Busquets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I admired him for the ambition of the move, and for the loyalty to where he learned his trade, but he was trying to break into a team with two of the best midfielders ever to play the game, at close to the height of their powers. He decided to leave a strong, well-run, and consistently successful club (relative to most) where he was captain and would have been for years to come. It's easy to say it now, of course, but I never thought it was a brilliant decision.

I still think he is a class act though, despite the fact that he has looked lost for the last few years in Barca. (I am not an Arsenal supporter btw.)

If we got rid of diaby arteta podolski and sign him and a dm, it's very doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Not really.. Sure he'd be replacing Cazorla.
    But you're right about needing a good DM for it to work.

• Advertisement

Dm Ramsey
    Theo cesc ozil

Bit of a waste of Ramsey's goal-scoring and goal-making ability to play him that deep, no? (Albeit that he has only shown those abilities for Arsenal this season.)

greendom wrote: »
    Not if he leaves now. If he sticks it he could become one. He has the ability.

He's been there three seasons greendom, he's been giving plenty of chances. It hasn't worked, he's not the first player to gone to his hometown club and it hasn't worked out. I still think he should have waited his patience and gone when Xavi and co were winding down their careers but how could you turn down Barca at that time.

impr0v wrote: »
    Bit of a waste of Ramsey's goal-scoring and goal-making ability to play him that deep, no? (Albeit that he has only shown those abilities for Arsenal this season.)

He is a box to box midfielder.

He also tackles and does great defensive work.

This team needs more top class midfielders as evident last season when we lost Ramsey.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    What team doesnt need world class players? :confused:

a team that's already got a few of team, sorry if I'm not towing the line with some of you with wanting Cesc back but he hasn't exactly stepped it up at Barca. How do we know we'll get the Cesc of old if we do buy him?

He is a box to box midfielder.

He also tackles and does great defensive work.

This team needs more top class midfielders as evident last season when we lost Ramsey.

Agree with all those points, but I think his desire to go box-to-box has to be reined in a bit. He covered so much ground in the first half of this season that it must have contributed to the length of time that he spent injured when he finally picked one up. He can certainly tackle, but if you had to pick between his strengths I would say it should be his abilities when he is facing forward.

I admired him for the ambition of the move, and for the loyalty to where he learned his trade, but he was trying to break into a team with two of the best midfielders ever to play the game, at close to the height of their powers. He decided to leave a strong, well-run, and consistently successful club (relative to most) where he was captain and would have been for years to come. It's easy to say it now, of course, but I never thought it was a brilliant decision.

I still think he is a class act though, despite the fact that he has looked lost for the last few years in Barca. (I am not an Arsenal supporter btw.)

I thought it was a mistake too and said it at the time, how was he going to split that partnership apart. It's hard to turn down but they would have come in for him a few years down the line if he was still playing at a top level at Arsenal. I think you can see by his reactions and body language he ain't happy, plus the fact his missus isn't liked behind the scenes at Barca and the fan's have turned agaisn't him after them wanting to get him back.

I wouldn't be agaisn't him moving back but we have far more important positions to fill first. I wouldn't pay over the price for him either.

Agree with all those points, but I think his desire to go box-to-box has to be reined in a bit. He covered so much ground in the first half of this season that it must have contributed to the length of time that he spent injured when he finally picked one up. He can certainly tackle, but if you had to pick between his strengths I would say it should be his abilities when he is facing forward.

True but we're never gonna play with two dms and Ramsey.

So it will be him partnering a dm like they.did with arteta.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Wenger dicks about all summer again humming and hawing and lets Fabregas go to one of our rivals I will lose the ****ing plot.
    Eh, that's where he's played all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Liverpool in for Aurier now and seems like we were never interested. If the right back and back up gk situation isnt sorted before the world cup, what hope do we have of landing marquee signings especially upfront when we already wasted 2 years not getting one.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Liverpool in for Aurier now and seems like we were never interested. If the right back and back up gk situation isnt sorted before the world cup, what hope do we have of landing marquee signings especially upfront when we already wasted 2 years not getting one.

Yeah read these talking to him and his agent said arsenal not really interested.

I think I need to just calm down, im already getting worried and annoyed and it's very early days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Yeah read these talking to him and his agent said arsenal not really interested.

I think I need to just calm down, im already getting worried and annoyed and it's very early days!

Would reckon we have a better chance of landing a player when it is denied that we are linked to him.

If Wenger dicks about all summer again humming and hawing and lets Fabregas go to one of our rivals I will lose the ****ing plot.

I love some of you are getting upset because of Rumours and hearsay, until Wenger comes out and say's he's interested in a certain player don't pointing it out as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I love some of you are getting upset because of Rumours and hearsay, until Wenger comes out and say's he's interested in a certain player don't pointing it out as fact.

You obviously don't know Wenger very well...
    Its actually quite simple to figure out what Wenger's plans to do in the transfer window.

1st. What ever he says think the opposite.

2nd. What ever result you got, think the opposite of that.

3rd. Flip a coin and thats the player we'll sign.

Its works 60% of the time, everytime...

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You obviously don't know Wenger very well...
    Its actually quite simple to figure out what Wenger's plans to do in the transfer window.

1st. What ever he says think the opposite.

2nd. What ever result you got, think the opposite of that.

3rd. Flip a coin and thats the player we'll sign.

Its works 60% of the time, everytime...

Until you see any player walking out of Arsenal's training ground for a press conference or a player come out and say he's joining us, I won't be taking any of these rumours seriously. I learned from it last year to get our hopes up is only to break our hearts even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Until you see any player walking out of Arsenal's training ground for a press conference or a player come out and say he's joining us, I won't be taking any of these rumours seriously. I learned from it last year to get our hopes up is only to break our hearts even more.

Another good indication that we are not interested is if Wenger comes out and praises the player.

I really don't understand why people are so eager to get rid of Poldi. Realistically, he is our only other striker at the moment. He can't play the same role as Giroud i.e. up top by himself, but given a goal scoring opportunity I don't think there is anyone else on the team that I would prefer to be taking the shot.

Until we sign another out and out striker he should be well down the list of players we should be looking at off loading and given the amount of places we have available in the squad, I don't see any reason that we would need to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Paleface

Would absolutely love to have Fabregas back at the club.

We will need him over the course of any given season. I don't understand how people can't see that.

Also why bother agreeing a buy back clause in the first place if not to make use of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mike65 wrote: »
    Fabregas is signing for Chelsea, you seem to be a bit off the pace.

Oh look whos back :rolleyes:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Oh look whos back :rolleyes:

What's your problem? Someone previously thought Fabregas was still a possibility and I put them in the picture that's all. Wind your neck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What's your problem? Someone previously thought Fabregas was still a possibility and I put them in the picture that's all. Wind your neck in.

Where's the confirmation that he's signing for Chelsea? :confused:

Where's the confirmation that he's signing for Chelsea? :confused:

Sometimes you don't need a carved stone tablet - Arsenal are not buying Fabregas, City and Utd won't & Liverpool can't afford him. Chelsea can use him and can afford him.

Here's the latest

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/chelsea-30m-move-cesc-fabregas-barcelona-arsenal

• Advertisement

Stay off Twitter and you'll be grand. 99.9% of it is made up to get more followers/clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sometimes you don't need a carved stone tablet - Arsenal are not buying Fabregas, City and Utd won't & Liverpool can't afford him. Chelsea can use him and can afford him.

Here's the latest

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/chelsea-30m-move-cesc-fabregas-barcelona-arsenal

Supposition and conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If you chose to believe twitter then Cesc has signed for Man U, Chelsea, City and us in the last few days, he's got a busy year ahead of him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Here's the latest

To be frank, you know fcuk all about it, just like the rest of us here. If you want to believe everything you read in the papers then that's up to you but most of us aren't that naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I will be pissed if he comes back to England and we didn't bother our arse to sign Cesc.

Leaving him to someone else would be criminal.

Seen as Arsenal women won the F.A Cup was reading up on why they were doing so bad in the Women's league, they lost like 6 to 7 of their first team, seems to money issues basically the Man City (Steph Houghton, England Captain went there) Liverpool and Chelsea (Katy Chapman and Gilly Flaherty, who's been at the club since she was 10) women team's seem to have the money to splash.

It goes to show doesn't matter if you are winning titles, cups and champions leagues. Money is always the answer. Even Their top striker Ellen White joined a mid table team cause they paid more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Get Cesc back and sell Santi would be one option I think. Is it? I dunno.

I'll leave that one to Arsene.

To be frank, you know fcuk all about it, just like the rest of us here. If you want to believe everything you read in the papers then that's up to you but most of us aren't that naive.

I really hate Transfer window myself, it brings out the worse in us fan's. Thank god the world cup is on to distract us for at least a few weeks.

Thank god you ain't our manager :rolleyes:

Santi has been great for us, you keep your best players.

We dont need to sell anyone. We need the strenght in depth.

• Advertisement

We dont need to sell anyone. We need the strenght in depth.

thank god common sense prevails
    There's bound to be one of two that be pissed off but if you are winning stuff it shut's them up. We have league cup and Fa Cup plus the odd league game when you can mix and change and rest players. A lot of players will get game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

TBH, I am sick to the back teeth about all this Cesc talk.....he is not all that or Barca would not let him go. Yes, I would dearly love him back at the Emirates but not before a quality forward and a defensive midfielder is secured. If we have them then a cut price deal for Cesc would be a brilliant bit of business seen as they (Barca) owe us a few shillings.

And dont start all this crap about being a quality player and why wouldnt we take him back, he is a quality player but we need the quality elsewhere 1st. The team is a bigger priority at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    TBH, I am sick to the back teeth about all this Cesc talk.....he is not all that or Barca would not let him go. Yes, I would dearly love him back at the Emirates but not before a quality forward and a defensive midfielder is secured. If we have them then a cut price deal for Cesc would be a brilliant bit of business seen as they (Barca) owe us a few shillings.

And dont start all this crap about being a quality player and why wouldnt we take him back, he is a quality player but we need the quality elsewhere 1st. The team is a bigger priority at the moment.

Ya we only have like £150 million in the bank we can't afford three quality players.

And anyway is Cesc really worth £30 million when Fellaini only cost £27.5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Put Perfectly Wonda

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Well Said Wonda

I think many need to sit down and look at it with some common sense, we need a top class Striker and defensive midfielder maybe a winger with some pace, these are more important cause they have been our weakness for the past two seasons. I want us to get the best we can get, none of these bottom shelf cheap buys. Cesc he's not the player he was when he left us, he's clearly been misused and his form has dipped. I take him on the cheap but if we are talking over 30 million then no thanks.

I take him on the cheap but if we are talking over 30 million then no thanks.
    I reckon we could get him for around the £15m mark. We have a buy back of somewhere around £30m and they still owe us close to £15m. ~£15m and call it even?

I reckon we could get him for around the £15m mark. We have a buy back of somewhere around £30m and they still owe us close to £15m. ~£15m and call it even?

I take him from 30 million and down, 15 million I doubt it. Really it's up to Cesc if he wants to come back, he could go to City and make 10 times more money even at Chelsea and Utd. People are assuming he will come back to us, remember he went on strike to get out of Arsenal, so I wouldn't be shocked if he went to Utd or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

That's not £15 million though, it's £30 million. £15m cash + £15m debt cancellation = £30m cost to Arsenal.

It's not like Barcelona aren't going to ever pay us that £15m they owe, I assume it is due in installments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That's not £15 million though, it's £30 million. £15m cash + £15m debt cancellation = £30m cost to Arsenal.

It's not like Barcelona aren't going to ever pay us that £15m they owe, I assume it is due in installments.

"Cash and bank balances" stood at £153.6m
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/27/arsenal-pre-tax-profit-wage-bill

I believe we almost have more cash reserves than all the rest of the premier league teams combined.

Yes we can afford Fabregas comfortable.

I think I remember Wenger saying our large cash reserve is for when special talents become available, we can pounce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

"Cash and bank balances" stood at £153.6m
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/27/arsenal-pre-tax-profit-wage-bill

I believe we almost have more cash reserves than all the rest of the premier league teams combined.

Yes we can afford Fabregas comfortable.

I think I remember Wenger saying our large cash reserve is for when special talents become available, we can pounce.
    I didn't say anything about whether we could afford it. You've completely missed my point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement