Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »
    Ambitiously, he could be lining up with Ramsey, Wilshire, Ozil, Carzola, Ox in a young and skilful midfield. A team who've broken the cup drought, they be ambitious with the right signings this summer to go on and win the league. I think it be all about the wages to be honest, will we be able to compete with City and Chelsea even Utd at offering him 230,000 a week, that's hard to turn down. Will he show loyalty and want to come back where his nest years were? that's the question.

I'm not entirely convinced if he's worth all that money. seen him in La Liga hasn't exactly blown me away.

He has no loyality that needs to be shown to Arsenal. I agree money will be the biggest factor but that also usually leads to the club showing huge ambition.

Players have left the club because we havent been able to show that (for very good reason, stadium build etc.). Last year was the first for many we should signs of turning the corner signing top class players is now the next step

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think Wenger likes having an out and out DM. We never really replaced Gilberto after he left and he preferred Arteta to Flamini in most of the big matches that they were both available for this season. Even Flamini likes to bomb forward too much to be classed as a full on DM imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Soups123 wrote: »
    Without a doubt we have to win him over, thats how this works. Do you think Ozil came to Arsenal without been won over? He will have a choice of world class clubs without a doubt we will have to show him what our programme is and want him to buy into it.

He aint going to be as nostalgic as the fans and sign because he wants to come 'home', this is just drivel players feed to fans

He's not exactly in the same boat as Ozil, Ozil came off a season where he was one of Real's best players, he was only sold cause Bale was bought. Cesc is been shipped out cause he's been rubbish, let's cut to the facts here.

If he don't want to sign for us, then **** him. We aren't crying out for more attacking midfielders. Christ you making him out like we should go all out for him and give him everything he wants.

He has no loyality that needs to be shown to Arsenal. I agree money will be the biggest factor but that also usually leads to the club showing huge ambition.

Players have left the club because we havent been able to show that (for very good reason, stadium build etc.). Last year was the first for many we should signs of turning the corner signing top class players is now the next step

Yeah a Defensive midfielder and Top Class Striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Without a doubt we have to win him over, thats how this works. Do you think Ozil came to Arsenal without been won over? He will have a choice of world class clubs without a doubt we will have to show him what our programme is and want him to buy into it.

He aint going to be as nostalgic as the fans and sign because he wants to come 'home', this is just drivel players feed to fans

His alternative is to slot into a United team. I don't know which other world class clubs he has the option of that are in England - and quite frankly if he goes abroad I couldn't care less.

I'm not saying I don't want him back to some extent, I do - but there are more urgent holes that need to be filled. Even last year we all thought that a CF was our priority -we signed Ozil. As great as that was it didn't sort the problem out. We'd essentially be making the same mistake twice if we signed Fabregas first because let's be honest, it's pretty much a given that we only ever make one marquee signing a summer (if even). I would love to be wrong on that count but if I'm not I think we would be better suited signing a striker or a defensive mid.

Just my 2c, obviously if we signed him and also sorted the striker/DM situation out it would be ideal but we all know that there has to be compromise somewhere. For what it's worth, I personally would rather stick with Wilshere and Ramsey over the course of the next 5-10 years because I am 100% sure the former will come good just like Ramsey has.

He only go to those other clubs if he wants more money, simple as. Cesc has to show us he's not that flop that's he shown at Barca but is still that marvellous talent that shone brightly for us in the past.

I'm with you, the way he left the club did leave me a bit bitter towards Cesc. A part of me has been happy it hasn't worked for him at Barca, he went there thinking he be a superstar now he's been let go after only three seasons. I hate the fact many on here are ignoring our other positional problems and want us to buy a player who's been off the boil for years just so other English team won't buy him, that's what it boils down too.

The first part is wrong, if he goes to City it will be for money and the opportunity to compete at the highest level and win many medals.

Do you get a bitter feeling towards the club when they decide to sell a player that wants to stay? I dont get how fans dislike players for leaving but are ok when the club says 'fcuk it' we dont need you any more.

Players leave clubs all the time its part of the game I would have any one of them back if it improves the team

He's not exactly in the same boat as Ozil, Ozil came off a season where he was one of Real's best players, he was only sold cause Bale was bought. Cesc is been shipped out cause he's been rubbish, let's cut to the facts here.

If he don't want to sign for us, then **** him. We aren't crying out for more attacking midfielders. Christ you making him out like we should go all out for him and give him everything he wants.

Not true, he has played well in a parts this season but is not fitting into the role they want him to play.

If he is available then he is player we should be trying to sign, that is all. never once mentioned red carpet and break the bank

ugsparky wrote: »
    No ... not neccesarily a defensive midfielder ... I just put him in front of the back four ... with a defensive midfielder like Khedira or Flamini you could have Santi on the bench ... depending on who you are playing ... look at how Chelsea dealt with tough games ... defence first ... agreed but you must also have the counter attack ...

We are not going to get Yaya or Bender ... what defensive midfield player would we buy?

Wouldn't want Yaya, An awesome player but he's getting on in years. Bender, why couldn't we not get him?.

I like Flamini but he's not the answer to our problems UgSparky, We need a tough tackling, nasty git you has the silky skills to get himself out of a rut. Chelsea and City are successful cause they have those players, Gerrard did a great drop for Liverpool this season playing that role too. Even Gareth Barry for Everton. We can't ignore it for another season.

His alternative is to slot into a United team. I don't know which other world class clubs he has the option of that are in England - and quite frankly if he goes abroad I couldn't care less.

I'm not saying I don't want him back to some extent, I do - but there are more urgent holes that need to be filled. Even last year we all thought that a CF was our priority -we signed Ozil. As great as that was it didn't sort the problem out. We'd essentially be making the same mistake twice if we signed Fabregas first because let's be honest, it's pretty much a given that we only ever make one marquee signing a summer (if even). I would love to be wrong on that count but if I'm not I think we would be better suited signing a striker or a defensive mid.

Just my 2c, obviously if we signed him and also sorted the striker/DM situation out it would be ideal but we all know that there has to be compromise somewhere. For what it's worth, I personally would rather stick with Wilshere and Ramsey over the course of the next 5-10 years because I am 100% sure the former will come good just like Ramsey has.

I think we are saying the same think. I want Cesc, I dont think he is essential or completes the jigsaw at all but he is world class and improves our team.

110% agree players are needed in other areas but I and saying Cesc in addition to rather than instead of. Signing Cesc might improve the options of the DM we sign as he shows the direction the club are going in.

I think City, United and Chelsea would take him if they could and he will improve all 3.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't want Yaya, An awesome player but he's getting on in years. Bender, why couldn't we not get him?.

I like Flamini but he's not the answer to our problems UgSparky, We need a tough tackling, nasty git you has the silky skills to get himself out of a rut. Chelsea and City are successful cause they have those players, Gerrard did a great drop for Liverpool this season playing that role too. Even Gareth Barry for Everton. We can't ignore it for another season.

Right this debate will only go one way! Im out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bender - just signed a new contract and doesn't want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Where did I say they are not competitive?? They aren't defensive midfielders. That is the issue. No matter how good of a footballing side you are you need that defensive midfielder.

As regards the Invincibles - Gilberto Silva? Viera was the complete midfielder and excelled defensively. Ramsey or Cesc are way off that type of game.

Yes agreed on both Vieira and Silva ... I'm saying we should sign a defensive midfielder and Cesc ... even Sneiderlin instead of Khedira.

Maybe I should have said combatative instead of competitive ... I just fail to see that we are weak in midfield ... I certainly don't agree with Paul Scholes ... how many defensive midfiled players are there in the Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, City lineups?

I think our problems against City, Chelsea and Liverpool were more about bad ball retention and possesion rather than no defensive midfielder ...

Not true, he has played well in a parts this season but is not fitting into the role they want him to play.

If he is available then he is player we should be trying to sign, that is all. never once mentioned red carpet and break the bank

I've watched Barca a lot and he's in and out of games its crazy how far he's falling behind, getting booed by you're home crowd shows exactly he hasn't done it.

I like him back but I wouldn't go all out for him to be honest, offering him crazy wages and such. Just my feeling on it. He's not shown me since he left us that he's worth the big money.

Bender - just signed a new contract and doesn't want to leave.

:pac: we're screwed now. Fair play to him, nice to see Loyalty is still out there.

I've watched Barca a lot and he's in and out of games its crazy how far he's falling behind, getting booed by you're home crowd shows exactly he hasn't done it.

I like him back but I wouldn't go all out for him to be honest, offering him crazy wages and such. Just my feeling on it. He's not shown me since he left us that he's worth the big money.

Getting booed by the home crowd when its barca is nothing new. He was being used as the scape goat. Many other Barca players played poor this year but Cesc was made the scapegoat

Nobody has suggested crazy wages or the likes just a go and get him if he is gettable

• Advertisement

Right this debate will only go one way! Im out

He's 32 years of age, would you pay big wages and a massive chunk of a fee for him. I'm not taking it anywhere, I'm just stating my opinion.

Nobody has suggested crazy wages or the likes just a go and get him if he is gettable

I think it's down if he wants the homecoming and back into the embrace of Wenger, to the club that built him. That's all we can offer him really. If not we're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

B.s Quazzie he was in a team of World class talent, probably the best Club team I've seen in my Life time, with some of the greatest players of our generation. He should have blossomed into a world beater but it just hasn't worked for him and he looked very average. That's how it is, he wanted to join them and he should have stepped up but he hasn't.

We have potential have one already in Ramsey if he continues his form, Ozil will get better, Wilshire could step it up. Ox will come good. You pro Cesc lot are making it sound like we got a lot of average and crap players in our midfield.

Can you leave this crap out..... some people just have a different opinion to you.

ronjo wrote: »
    Can you leave this crap out..... some people just have a different opinion to you.

Don't get you're knickers in a twist ronjo. Christ bring something to the debate instead of picking out one line to criticise me with. I respect people's opinion, I'm just stating mine. Thanks.

He's 32 years of age, would you pay big wages and a massive chunk of a fee for him. I'm not taking it anywhere, I'm just stating my opinion.

He was the best player in the league last year I would love him, its never going to happen so no point debating the finances. He would be awsome for 2/3 yrs but lets drop the debate as its never going to be real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Don't get you're knickers in a twist ronjo. Christ bring something to the debate instead of picking out one line to criticise me with. I respect people's opinion, I'm just stating mine. Thanks.

I think it's more the pigeon holing / putting people into camps that we could do without.

I think it's down if he wants the homecoming and back into the embrace of Wenger, to the club that built him. That's all we can offer him really. If not we're screwed.

His home coming was to barce, the developed him too we just brought him on!

We can offer him a lot more, the club is now ambitious on the field, potentially the start of a new era, the finances to compete with the top clubs and one of the most highly rated managers in the world (who knows him and how to use him), if the right signings are made the potential to compete at the highest level

I really hope we do sign Cesc and I have said it here on a number of occasions.

Barry might actually be a decent signing and would be picked quite easily I reckon.

A midfield below would do me for the start of the season.

Barry Ramsey
    Walcott Fabreas Ozil
    Giroud (or new CF)

Crucial to get in a top class right back as Sagna is miles ahead of Jenkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Crucial to get in a top class right back as Sagna is miles ahead of Jenkinson

He really isn't

He really isn't

Maybe its just me Marty but have the Cygan fear when I see him come on in.....

:):):) ... No he's not within an asses roar of Cygan ... he has actually played well when he's had a long run at right back ... Sagna is an excellent right back ... but he had a dip in form too ... I think jenkinson marshalled by Kos and Merts will be fine, he just needs more experience and playing time

:):):) ... No he's not within an asses roar of Cygan ... he has actually played well when he's had a long run at right back ... Sagna is an excellent right back ... but he had a dip in form too ... I think jenkinson marshalled by Kos and Merts will be fine, he just needs more experience and playing time

Well I would be very happy to be proved wrong I will admit.

I know its harsh but I still have visions of the defending when Michu scored two at the Emirates.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

:pac: he can look a bit nervous at times but when given a run in the team he has shown he can play and defend, there were many in here calling for him to keep his place over Sagna at one point.

I do believe we need a Rb because right now we only have one, but have a lot of faith in Jenks and would have no problem were he to start the first game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

there were many in here calling for him to keep his place over Sagna at one point.

Ah now I cant believe that, There is no way Jenko was any near the level of Sagna. Sagna has probably been our most consistent player over the past few years.

I still like Jenkinson, and think he can do well with a good run in the team. I think a signing ala Monreal could be good for him, the same way it was good for Gibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

thorbarry wrote: »
    Ah now I cant believe that, There is no way Jenko was any near the level of Sagna. Sagna has probably been our most consistent player over the past few years.

I still like Jenkinson, and think he can do well with a good run in the team. I think a signing ala Monreal could be good for him, the same way it was good for Gibbs.
    I definitely thought at the time he should keep his place over sagna. He was playing very well and deserved. Sagna had a good season this year but he was patchy the 2 season before it and looking at his age I can see him going the way of Evra at united and am glad that we are not paying him a 100 grand per week.

Jenkinson is a fine player once he gets a run just needs that confidence

• Advertisement

I think it's more the pigeon holing / putting people into camps that we could do without.

You see what all this talk of transfer season does to you ;)
    It got a little heated, I'm very passionate when it come to Arsenal like we all are.

come on he's nowhere near as bad. He's got potential, I do think he will come on with a bit of rival for that right back spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Imagine for a minute that we never sold Cesc but instead bought the players we have since 2011 to play along side him. if that was the case how many would be wishing for him to leave?

His return would be roughly £ neutral, so the impact on available funds shouldn't come into it. It's like saying that if we never sold Cesc we would have any money to spend.

I remember Cesc playing for us against Juve when Vieira went there. He played the Vieira role superbly and I assume everyone would love another Vieira now?

If it's a case of Cesc OR a striker then I'd pass on him but I don't think that's the case.

As fans we have only one question to answer - Will Cesc improve our team? I think the answer is Yes!

If AW passes on him then I would expect some serious world class players have already been signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

"If I ever wear a Chelsea shirt, you have the permission to kill me" - Cesc Fabregas in 2010

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

this will indeed be a very long summer. . .

I'd like Cesc Fabregas back for 3 reasons:
    1.A good player is a good player and you can't have enough of them.
    2.It will be a statement that Arsenal means business
    3. (in contrast to 2), it might be the only big business we will do all summer :D

Seriously though, I can't see us finding the world class stiker everybody's dreaming of this summer, so I don't expect us to spend more than 30m for a striker.
    Another 25m for a defensive midfielder, 20m for a right back.
    And 30m for Fabregas.
    And they will still be money in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that this is the year that Walcott get converted into a striker if there isn't one brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

dvemail wrote: »
    Don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that this is the year that Walcott get converted into a striker if there isn't one brought in.

Unless we change formation, I really can't see that happening. Wenger seems committed to the lone striker type formation we play at the moment and I just don't think Walcott has the strength to be a lone striker. If the formation changes and Walcott could play off Giroud or someone else, it could be a possibility but given the type of midfielders we have, I think too much would have to change to play Walcott in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Jenks needs more time as understudy to a proper r.b.
    I get that Cygan feeling too when Jenks goes anywhere near the centre of the defence. I think he will mature though but not as first choice r.b. yet.

Another problem area we have now since Sagna has gone is CB. We only have Vermaillen to cover if any of the two CB's gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

farna_boy wrote: »
    Unless we change formation, I really can't see that happening. Wenger seems committed to the lone striker type formation we play at the moment and I just don't think Walcott has the strength to be a lone striker. If the formation changes and Walcott could play off Giroud or someone else, it could be a possibility but given the type of midfielders we have, I think too much would have to change to play Walcott in that role.

If given the chance i think he would work well with Giroud up front.
    If he were to play as a lone striker we would just play differently, more through balls and less ball to feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dont know why everybody thinks that Fabregas is a super de duper DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER coz he aint. He has great positional awareness, good engine and can pass a ball very well and is very creative. However, he is not the biggest in the world and would not win much in the air and cant tackle all that well. I highly doubt Chelsea will take him unless they are selling Hazard to PSG or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont know why everybody thinks that Fabregas is a super de duper DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER coz he aint. He has great positional awareness, good engine and can pass a ball very well and is very creative. However, he is not the biggest in the world and would not win much in the air and cant tackle all that well. I highly doubt Chelsea will take him unless they are selling Hazard to PSG or the like.

Don't think anybody thinks he is a DM, I think the debate has been pretty much if we need another attacking midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

dvemail wrote: »

You could be right, I thought he played really well when he was finally given the chance in that FA Cup game against Spurs, shame how it ended. If he hadn't done his ligaments he really could have been the pacey alternative to Giroud people were calling for.

I honestly think Arsene is thinking Giroud/Remy/Greizmann (finally spelled his name correctly) because of the way they linked so well playing for France. We would then have the possibility to use Remy on his own with Greizmann or Walcott supporting/supplying crosses.

Benzema will cost too much and seems more keen to join PSG - Carlos Vela could be the key with Greizmann - we missed out on too many promising players - Goetze, Hazard, Reus - I think Wenger will jump at the chance to sign Greizmann.

I also think either or both players will benefit from Giroud's style of play. I think we'll maybe go for Khedira based on what Ozil has said about him and his situation at Real ... and Cesc will only go to another Premiership club if Arsene doesn't want him ... I doubt that.

We would seriously have a talented squad with these additions ... with the chance to rotate with Ox, Jack, Santi ... but I think it also depends on who leaves. If Arteta, Rosicky, Diaby and Flamini leave it could trigger a huge change ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

What about t.v. as DM. Is a ball playing whole hearted CB and could do a job like martin keown used to for George graham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

TUBBY wrote: »
    What about t.v. as DM. Is a ball playing whole hearted CB and could do a job like martin keown used to for George graham.

No thanks.
    We start playing him then we have no backup CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    No thanks.
    We start playing him then we have no backup CB.

It's worth a shot at least. Would be easier to find a backup CB than a first choice DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's worth a shot at least. Would be easier to find a backup CB than a first choice DM.

But Vermaelen isn't near good enough to play first choice DM.
    I'd rather just sign Gareth Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

gnfnrhead wrote: »

It's not worth a shot though. If it doesn't work and we've nobody better than Flamini there till January, when we can't buy anyone anyway, then you've wasted your chance of winning the league ( which I strongly feel we could do if we get our **** together at DM and up front, along with a new RB) because you were being cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    But Vermaelen isn't near good enough to play first choice DM.
    I'd rather just sign Gareth Barry.

Why oh why oh why do people think Vermaelen would make a good DM?? It's a completely different position to Centre Back. Typically the ones that are good at both are the natural DM who can play at CB. However a CB who can play at DM is much more rare.

There was an absolutely brilliant Arsecast that debated the Vermaelen DM situation and was outstanding in outlining why Vermaelen would not make a good DM. The major factor being that he is near 30 and no Manager has ever saw fit to play him there? Surely that is evidence enough?

Also can we stop trying to convert players. If we need a RB lets buy one. I don't hear us looking to play Sanogo RB?? Same for a DM. Let's just buy one and not be engaging in projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

One thing is for sure ... anyone buying Cesc will be strengthening their squad - to our detriment if it happens to be a Premiership club.

Imagine a team like this lined up to play Real in a champions lge quarter or semi ...

Szcz

Jenkinson
    Kos
    Mert
    Gibbs

Cesc

Ozil
    Ramsey
    Santi --

Remy
    Giroud

Looks like a DM position to me. That midfield would be steamrolled by any side with aggression and good tackling midfielders. We desperately need a "Claude Makelele" of old. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement