Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Would people take Hangeland as 4th choice CB? I suppose he'd count as the Mert cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Would people take Hangeland as 4th choice CB? I suppose he'd count as the Mert cover.

Yip - just saw he left on Twitter. Thought exact same thing. As good as 4th choice CB cover as you will get. A natural Mert replacement too as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Right, I was out all day and i spent a while reading the last few pages,

my conclusion -

Cesc Fabregas definitely pissed in Loopers cornflakes at some stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont know why everybody thinks that Fabregas is a super de duper DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER coz he aint. He has great positional awareness, good engine and can pass a ball very well and is very creative. However, he is not the biggest in the world and would not win much in the air and cant tackle all that well. I highly doubt Chelsea will take him unless they are selling Hazard to PSG or the like.

Agreed don't really think he's a Mourinho type of player. And with Oscar and Hazard on the books they have about as much need for him as we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Daily mail reporting he has agreed terms with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

FACT: Since 2007, Cesc Fabregas has registered the most assists in the Premier League....he left in 2011.

https://twitter.com/BBCSporf/status/472780458716311552

Incredible stat.

FACT: Since 2007, Cesc Fabregas has registered the most assists in the Premier League....he left in 2011.

https://twitter.com/BBCSporf/status/472780458716311552

Incredible stat.

He wont add to that with Chelsea if he goes. No way are they a good match for him under Mouriinho's regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Daily mail reporting he has agreed terms with Chelsea.

****sakes. cesc stay at barca or join PSG!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I will be not pleased if fabregas goes to Chelsea. It'll be worse than van persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would rather Lescott over Hangeland personally.

• Advertisement

****sakes. cesc stay at barca or join PSG!!

Chelsea with matic cesc hazard Willian and Costa, eek!

He wont add to that with Chelsea if he goes. No way are they a good match for him under Mouriinho's regime.

Couldn't see Fabregas playing under Mourinho or Wenger letting him go to Mourinho.

Matic and Fabregas with Costa, Willian and Hazard :(

Don't let it happen Wenger.

I honestly can't see him working with Jose. If he does go to Chelsea, it'll be the most surprising transfer since...

Sol Campbell to us?

I honestly can't see him working with Jose. If he does go to Chelsea, it'll be the most surprising transfer since...

Sol Campbell to us?

I could handle Fabregas at Tottenham because he sure wouldnt be going there for trophies :p but id be sick if i seen him join that horrible clown at Chelsea

I could handle Fabregas at Tottenham because he sure wouldnt be going there for trophies :p but id be sick if i seen him join that horrible clown at Chelsea

So can we all agree now Cesc must be brought home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Lads seriously!!
    Its on the Daily Mail.. There worse than twitter ffs.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Lads seriously!!
    Its on the Daily Mail.. There worse than twitter ffs.

Yeah id imagine few if any deals will be done until after the World cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

ID rather arsenal get cesc in for 50m then to let him go to chelsea.

ID rather arsenal get cesc in for 50m then to let him go to chelsea.

He's not worth that though. Its a risky road we are going down if we start buying players to stop them going to Chelsea. Id hate to see him at Chelsea but im not sure we should buy him for the sake of stopping him going to rivals either.

Id like him back and i get the injuries argument that some are suggesting but i think were overcrowded with AM's. As for the injuries its high time we actually got to the bottom of them instead of just shrugging the shoulders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Chelsea only after him so no one else gets him, probably loan him out to an Australian team for 4 years hoping that everyone forgets he exists

salmocab wrote: »
    Chelsea only after him so no one else gets him, probably loan him out to an Australian team for 4 years hoping that everyone forgets he exists

They definitely done that with Wright-Philips back in 2005. Drove the price sky high and had no more use for him then the man in the moon.

Santi doing some tapping up:)

Cazorla on Fabregas

"I've read that he could go to Chelsea but I'd prefer him to come to Arsenal because he's a great player and they really love him there.

"I don't know what his future is, but I hope that he will be happy and enjoys the team wherever he is."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I can't work out which is more likely?

A Is it Mourinho desperate to get one over Wenger, or

B Fabregas courting Mourinho in the hope that Arsenal will counter-bid rather than let him go to Chelsea

Well he doesn't really matter if Chelsea bid.. We have first refusal anyway.

I'd say Wenger wants to see what Chelsea will do first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'd be absolutely sick if Cesc went to Chelsea. Half because he was my favourite player since Henry, and I'd love to see him back, and half because it would make one of our rivals considerably stronger while our transfer money just sits in the bank.

• Advertisement

C'mere to me... Is the buyback clause only applicable IF another team bids for him? For some reason it's sounding familiar to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

C'mere to me... Is the buyback clause only applicable IF another team bids for him? For some reason it's sounding familiar to me.

As far as I know it's a first refusal, so yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

That is my understanding of it too. If we bid 34 million Barca can reject if they do not want to sell. Clause has no impact there.

However if Barca accept any offer for Fabregas, say 45 million from Chelsea then Arsenal have an option to take him at 25 or 30 million. That is my understanding. Could be wrong.

And we get a percentage of the transfer fee if he goes somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I could handle Fabregas at Tottenham

b8VF3.gif

And we get a percentage of the transfer fee if he goes somewhere else.

No good to us that.....we cant even spend what we have ffs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So it's in OUR interest for the stories of Cesc going to Chelsea et al?

If he came out and said he wanted to go back to Arsenal, no other clubs would bother bidding, right?

So hopefully he leads Chelsea up the garden path, they put in a bid and we gazump them.

Good stuff.

First refusal means that if Chelsea bid say 30M and Barcelona accept, then they have to tell us about Chelsea's bid and have to accept our bid if we match Chelsea's.

Hope that clears things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I cannot describe how pissed off I will be if Cesc moves to Chelsea. That should NEVER be allowed happen. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

"If I ever wear a Chelsea shirt, you have the permission to kill me" - Cesc Fabregas in 2010

:):)

Until they pay me 300,000 thousand a week :rolleyes:

I don't like all that talk when players sprout that rubbish cause money talks and bull**** walks.

I just be shocked if he did move to Chelsea, seen as Jose laid the boot in on him during a El classic. But it wouldn't be that shocking.

I see Man Utd been the only place he go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If you got a spare 20 minutes, this is well worth the watch. I think I have really under appreciated him this season. Some of the stuff he does in this video is epic and does so much stuff that goes unnoticed. Get him a few outlets and he is gonna tear it up. Still seems surreal saying this but we have got Mesut Ozil :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It was about 17 mins into that video before they showed a goal. Up to that it was chance after chance created by Ozil - a world class striker would put his stats through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

And yet I see a headline on the back of the star today "flop ozil ruined by gunners". Such a rag, makes my blood boil.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Raf32 wrote: »

If it means that we cut our injury rate by 30% or so, then this will be without doubt the signing of the summer.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    And yet I see a headline on the back of the star today "flop ozil ruined by gunners". Such a rag, makes my blood boil.

In fairness Ozil did have a stinker in Germanys game against Cameroon, but I highly doubt its anything to do with joining the gunners.

Hopefully he can come good soon and show what a quality player he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

In fairness Ozil did have a stinker in Germanys game against Cameroon, but I highly doubt its anything to do with joining the gunners.

Hopefully he can come good soon and show what a quality player he is.

Watched that match, he was poor alright but had no outlet.
    Germany started with Goetze up front, only person on that team who can make those runs for Ozil to pick out is Reus.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Looks like a DM position to me. That midfield would be steamrolled by any side with aggression and good tackling midfielders. We desperately need a "Claude Makelele" of old. ;)

But if you had quoted my entire post I did say Cesc + a defensive midfielder ... even named Khedira and Flamini among the subs and invited the chance for people to interchange ... it could have been ...

Khedira

Ozil
    Ramsey
    Cesc---
    Greizmann
    Giroud

... or any number of permutations depending on factors such as home advantage, agregate score, defending a lead ...

... my point was we could sign Cesc, Khedira/Sneiderlin, Remy and Greizmann, plus a GK and RB for £10m and we would then look like a complete squad with many permutations ...

... we are losing Fabianski & Sagna ... maybe Coquelin, Arteta, Rosicky, Diaby, Flamini ... not sure about Djourou ... and we are suppossedly able to spend £100m if Arsene chooses to do so ... transfer money/wages saved added to that ... I don't think what I'm suggesting is too far off the mark ... and I just have a sneaking feeling Arsene prefers a Remy/Giroud/Greizmann/Walcott/Podolski/ scenario - to further develop and improve Giroud ...

I would seriously fancy our chances against any team with this squad of players :D

Marca reporting he passed a medical at Chelsea.

Please god no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Whatever happens we are going to have a big summer transfer wise. Quotes from Wenger from when he signed his contract. Don't think i've ever seen him so bullish over any possible dealings.
    ‘We know we have to have a successful June and July, that’s where you strengthen the team,’

‘It’s very important that we are good now in the next two months until the end of August, that we can give to the team some more quality and go into next season with the belief we got from [the FA Cup] win.

‘Should the fans expect a big summer? Yes, they should expect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Do now that's the Daily Mail, and Marca.

salt_pile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The last time Wenger said we'd have a busy summer we lost 17 players and brought in 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Since joining barcelona cesc has played

151games

42 goals

48 assists

That is WORLD CLASS stats considering he hasnt settled greatly and barca have had 2 bad seasons and he is fighting for a place in one of if not the best midfields in the world.

Why any of you would not want him back is beyond me. There is enough cash there so get him back hes only just turned 27 aswell so wed have at least 4 top draw seasons out of him.

Marca reporting he passed a medical at Chelsea.

Please god no.

I'd be shocked but not surprised if he joined them to be honest, money talks to footballers these days. I would have thought a kick in the head by Jose would have turned any player off joining his teams.

If we are going to sign him , get it done and dusted soon. I don't want any of you having fits and heart attacks if he joins any other English team. I just don't think it's the end of the world for us, he's not set the world alight at Barca and how do we know he's going to be the same player if we do take him back. We are only assuming he come back and set the world alight.

• Advertisement

Since joining barcelona cesc has played

151games

42 goals

48 assists

That is WORLD CLASS stats considering he hasnt settled greatly and barca have had 2 bad seasons and he is fighting for a place in one of if not the best midfields in the world.

Why any of you would not want him back is beyond me. There is enough cash there so get him back hes only just turned 27 aswell so wed have at least 4 top draw seasons out of him.

Why aren't Barca then not keeping him if they are world class stats? What with Xavi nearing the end of his career are not keeping this "world class" talent. I'm not knocking you but I just don't buy it. He must not been impressing anyone if he's getting let go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement