Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looper007 wrote: »
    Why aren't Barca then not keeping him if they are world class stats? What with Xavi nearing the end of his career are not keeping this "world class" talent. I'm not knocking you but I just don't buy it. He must not been impressing anyone if he's getting let go.

Football transfers don't always make sense or club don't always use logic.

Examples

Mata to United
    Ozil to Arsenal
    Robben to Bayern
    Sneijder to Inter

and there are lots more of them

Clubs will always sell players that doesn't make sense, people also using the fact Cesc got booed by Barca fans Messi was booed this year by Barca fans does that mean no one would want to sign him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Why aren't Barca then not keeping him if they are world class stats? What with Xavi nearing the end of his career are not keeping this "world class" talent. I'm not knocking you but I just don't buy it. He must not been impressing anyone if he's getting let go.

Hes been there 3 seasons with 3 different managers with a barca team further in decline with each of those 3 seasons. Its more of a case of not settling in my opinion and things not going right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Be surprised if he joins Chelsea.
    Would love it too though, as mentioned in the CFC Superthread possible line up:

Matic
    ----Oscar----Cesc----
    Willian--Costa--Hazard

Swoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Barca always make smoke screens when things arent going well. Declaring Cesc is no longer needed means the fans get distracted that the fix to the problem is underway when it simply buys the guys at the top more time to see if things turn round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Because he wants to leave and be with his family in London perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Hes been there 3 seasons with 3 different managers with a barca team further in decline with each of those 3 seasons. Its more of a case of not settling in my opinion and things not going right.

Decline?? they won the league last year and only finished two points behind A Madrid this season. You guys are making excuses, he's from Barca, he was born there and he went out of his way to get the dream move. The fact is he didn't live up to the hype, he was world class he'd fit into that team be one of their more important players. Too many people on here are making excuses for him.

Football transfers don't always make sense or club don't always use logic.

Examples

Mata to United
    Ozil to Arsenal
    Robben to Bayern
    Sneijder to Inter

and there are lots more of them

Clubs will always sell players that doesn't make sense, people also using the fact Cesc got booed by Barca fans Messi was booed this year by Barca fans does that mean no one would want to sign him?

Mata didn't fit Jose's style (he didn't work his ass off), we all know that and it's proven they can live without him. Ozil was out cause they bought Bale, which has proven a masterstroke. Sneijder wasn't setting the world alight at Real, he only start standing out at inter. Robben only became world class at Bayern, he was hit and miss before that with a ton of potential.

I never heard Messi get booed by Barca fans. Cesc has been scorned by them this and last season as he hasn't produced the form that made him one of the best in the world. You haven't heard Barca fans get upset by him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Decline?? they won the league last year and only finished two points behind A Madrid this season. You guys are making excuses, he's from Barca, he was born there and he went out of his way to get the dream move. The fact is he didn't live up to the hype, he was world class he'd fit into that team be one of their more important players. Too many people on here are making excuses for him.

In fairness m8, when you play for Barca with all the WORLD CLASS talent they have its very easy to look ordinary quicker then say Cesc playing for Arsenal with only one other world class player!

He is quality and at his prime or close to it, we would be mad not to sign him. I just dont think the timing is right. Not unless Wenger gets him but does not sacrifice the transfer kitty to do so by paying him mental wages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Great article on why we SHOULDNT sign cesc

I tend to agree

http://www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=543627

Maybe Wenger's just like, "Yeah sure Cesc. We put in a buyback clause for you. Let the other teams bid and then we'll come and get you".
    While secretly he's saying to himself, "So you think you can go on strike and force a move to Barca after I moulded a team around you and you alone? You'll get your comeuppance. One day you'll play for Jose and then you'll know what it's like to f*ck with me".

• Advertisement

Mata didn't fit Jose's style (he didn't work his ass off), we all know that and it's proven they can live without him. Ozil was out cause they bought Bale, which has proven a masterstroke. Sneijder wasn't setting the world alight at Real, he only start standing out at inter. Robben only became world class at Bayern, he was hit and miss before that with a ton of potential.

I never heard Messi get booed by Barca fans. Cesc has been scorned by them this and last season as he hasn't produced the form that made him one of the best in the world. You haven't heard Barca fans get upset by him leaving.

Holy jaysus, Mata is still world class and was sold to a rival, Ozil was out because they bought Bale not reallylast summer Real also bought other players to the tune of over 80 million not including Bale and regardless they still sold Ozil a world class player. Robben onlybecame world class at Bayern now your talking shiite he was class at Chelsea and Real before he moved to Bayern. Sneijder has always been hit and miss but world class on his day again another club selling a world class player which you claimed why would Barcelona sell Cesc if he was.

Ok Zidane to Real
    Figo switching sides in Spain
    Ibrahimovic moving numerous times between clubs.

World class players get transfered every day saying Cesc isn't world class because Barca are willing to sell him is crap.

Messi has been booed in fact a video went viral of Messi reacting to Barca fans in an airport giving him stick for his performances does it mean he's not world class no but it goes to show once again logic does not always come into play in football not with managers, owners or the most fickle of all fans.

To imply a player is not world class because a club or fans don't mind them leaving is nonsense.

I'm in the camp of meh when it comes to Cesc moving to Arsenal like a few I agree we have more important areas of the pitch to fix but to claim he is not world class because Barca will sell him you either have something against Cesc or are plain blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Great article on why we SHOULDNT sign cesc

I tend to agree

http://www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=543627

That makes no sense to me.

I must have missed arsenal hitting teams quick on the counter last season, we were woeful in our build up play, slow and no end product.

Introducing him back would give us much more options with opening teams up.

A lot of arsenal fans are certain ozil will be brilliant next season, what if he isnt?

Who do we have in the midfield who can create like cesc?

Holy jaysus, Mata is still world class and was sold to a rival, Ozil was out because they bought Bale not reallylast summer Real also bought other players to the tune of over 80 million not including Bale and regardless they still sold Ozil a world class player. Robben onlybecame world class at Bayern now your talking shiite he was class at Chelsea and Real before he moved to Bayern. Sneijder has always been hit and miss but world class on his day again another club selling a world class player which you claimed why would Barcelona sell Cesc if he was.

Ok Zidane to Real
    Figo switching sides in Spain
    Ibrahimovic moving numerous times between clubs.

World class players get transfered every day saying Cesc isn't world class because Barca are willing to sell him is crap.

Messi has been booed in fact a video went viral of Messi reacting to Barca fans in an airport giving him stick for his performances does it mean he's not world class no but it goes to show once again logic does not always come into play in football not with managers, owners or the most fickle of all fans.

To imply a player is not world class because a club or fans don't mind them leaving is nonsense.

I'm in the camp of meh when it comes to Cesc moving to Arsenal like a few I agree we have more important areas of the pitch to fix but to claim he is not world class because Barca will sell him you either have something against Cesc or are plain blind.

Wait was Robben fighting for World player of the year at Chelsea or Madrid?? No only when he went to Bayern was when all this talk of best player in the world was coming from. He was hit and miss at the two other clubs, he showed potential that's for sure. Yet a lot of you are saying Ozil is crap and overrated :rolleyes:. He wasn't getting into that Real team with bale there and it's proving the right decision, Bale took his position so I think that's a major factor why he was let go.

You bet I have something agaisn't him. He showed no loyalty to Arsenal, he went out of his way to get his dream move even going on strike even though we were the club that took a chance on him, Barca didn't. I'm glad he's flopped, I don't want him back at the club, I couldn't care less if he joins Utd or Chelsea. Sorry, i couldn't care if you lot think he's world class. The loyalty thing goes a long way with me. He goes down with Van persie and cashley Cole for me.

That makes no sense to me.

I must have missed arsenal hitting teams quick on the counter last season, we were woeful in our build up play, slow and no end product.

Introducing him back would give us much more options with opening teams up.

A lot of arsenal fans are certain ozil will be brilliant next season, what if he isnt?

Who do we have in the midfield who can create like cesc?

What if Fabergas is a flop?

Listen I'm honestly not trying to be a pain in the ass about the Fabergas thing, I just don't like the way most of my fellow Arsenal fan's on here have big open arms wanting this guy back after the disloyalty he showed wanting to leave in the way he did, I know many will disagree with the way i feel. But i will stand by this even if he signs for us again, I will get behind him as a Arsenal fan but i won't be respecting him. Just my view on matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You bet I have something agaisn't him. He showed no loyalty to Arsenal, he went out of his way to get his dream move even going on strike even though we were the club that took a chance on him, Barca didn't. I'm glad he's flopped, I don't want him back at the club, I couldn't care less if he joins Utd or Chelsea. Sorry, i couldn't care if you lot think he's world class. The loyalty thing goes a long way with me. He goes down with Van persie and cashley Cole for me.

He never went on strike. nonense. he always had a desire to play for hi boyhood club. nothing wrong with that and handled the situation MUCH better then cole and van persie.

Listen I'm honestly not trying to be a pain in the ass about the Fabergas thing, I just don't like the way most of my fellow Arsenal fan's on here have big open arms wanting this guy back after the disloyalty he showed wanting to leave in the way he did, I know many will disagree with the way i feel. But i will stand by this even if he signs for us again, I will get behind him as a Arsenal fan but i won't be respecting him. Just my view on matter.

I really dont get your dislike of him.

I would have big fat wide open harms for any player that could come into the team and improve it.

Do you respect the club for the players it let go or does loyalty only come into play for players who decide to move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think the whole strike thing is an overused and exagerated excuse by some arsenal fans who didnt like the fact that he left, he wanted to join his boyhood club, simple as that and i think its unfair to compare him or put him in the same bracket as some of the mercenaries we have had in our ranks.
    At the end of the day its a job for them and just because we're fans, expect players to marry the club, it doesnt work like that.
    On the subject of loyalty im sure there a good few players that Arsenal and every other club have fcuked over down through the years.
    We are not whiter than white and shouldnt claim to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm sorry but thats just plain wrong..

He left for Barca because most of his family lived there and they all were huge Barca supporters. He also just a big pay cut to go there.

Wait was Robben fighting for World player of the year at Chelsea or Madrid?? No only when he went to Bayern was when all this talk of best player in the world was coming from. He was hit and miss at the two other clubs, he showed potential that's for sure. Yet a lot of you are saying Ozil is crap and overrated :rolleyes:. He wasn't getting into that Real team with bale there and it's proving the right decision, Bale took his position so I think that's a major factor why he was let go.

:pac::pac: you really don't know how to give up a loosing battle do ya, Robben was world class at Chelsea and Real before joining Bayern regardless of whether or not he was being touted around for world player of the year even then it was Ribery earning most the plaudits.

No one has said Ozil is crap or over rated people have said they were dissappointed with his first season don't be putting words into peoples mouths ;), not that I agree with that sentiment either I have been a big Ozil defender plus again he was sold as a world class player again disproving your theory.

So in essence even though you wont admit it clubs do sell world class players which was the my point you can argue it all day long but everyone knows just because a club is willing to sell a player does not mean there not world class.

Cesc is world class whether you like him or not and to say he isn't is well silly ;).

Good to see your back for another transfer window to rant and rave all summer long ;).

• Advertisement

He never went on strike. nonense. he always had a desire to play for hi boyhood club. nothing wrong with that and handled the situation MUCH better then cole and van persie.

How is it nonenese, its a well known fact he did. He could have handled it a lot better.

How is it nonenese, its a well known fact he did. He could have handled it a lot better.

You have ignored the question too many times now, a few posters have asked it. Do you have the same loyality issues with the club for the players it discarded over the years?

:pac::pac: you really don't know how to give up a loosing battle do ya, Robben was world class at Chelsea and Real before joining Bayern regardless of whether or not he was being touted around for world player of the year even then it was Ribery earning most the plaudits.

No one has said Ozil is crap or over rated people have said they were dissappointed with his first season don't be putting words into peoples mouths ;), not that I agree with that sentiment either I have been a big Ozil defender plus again he was sold as a world class player again disproving your theory.

So in essence even though you wont admit it clubs do sell world class players which was the my point you can argue it all day long but everyone knows just because a club is willing to sell a player does not mean there not world class.

Cesc is world class whether you like him or not and to say he isn't is well silly ;).

Good to see your back for another transfer window to rant and rave all summer long ;).

No losing battle, pure facts you are so blinded in what you believe in you don't want to take it aboard, that's you're views. Don't try to change mine.

A world class player isn't let go by his club or put up for sale, simple as. Cesc isn't world class, if he was he wouldn't be put up for sale. Are we going to go around in circles with this Marty. He's world class in your opinion.

I rant at people overlooking the signings we really need to make to get a player to be honest we are not calling out for. I have every right to rant and rave about a player we don not need as our number 1 target, simple as. Our money should be spent on other positions.

Soups123 wrote: »
    You have ignored the question too many times now, a few posters have asked it. Do you have the same loyality issues with the club for the players it discarded over the years?

They weren't good enough, they were let go. No malice shown towards them. Pure and simple, like most big clubs do. The whole team was build around Cesc and then he decided to piss off. Big difference to when a player not good is let go.

A world class player isn't let go by his club or put up for sale, simple as. Cesc isn't world class, if he was he wouldn't be put up for sale. Are we going to go around in circles with this Marty. He's world class in your opinion.

They weren't good enough, they were let go. No malice shown towards them. Pure and simple, like most big clubs do. The whole team was build around Cesc and then he decided to piss off. Big difference to when a player not good is let go.

So a club can decide a player is not good enough for them but the player cant decide the club isnt big enough for him? So the player is disloyal but the club is fine?

No losing battle, pure facts you are so blinded in what you believe in you don't want to take it aboard, that's you're views. Don't try to change mine.

I rant at people overlooking the signings we really need to make to get a player to be honest we are not calling out for. I have every right to rant and rave about a player we don not need as our number 1 target, simple as. Our money should be spent on other positions.

:pac: you'd give an aspirin a headache.

No you rant during the summer and disappear during the season.

There is also no need to rant and rave having discussion makes for much easier and pleasant reading, when one rants they loose sight of all rationale and tend to post in a shouty nonsensical manner.

:pac: you'd give an aspirin a headache.

No you rant during the summer and disappear during the season.

There is also no need to rant and rave having discussion makes for much easier and pleasant reading, when one rants they loose sight of all rationale and tend to post in a shouty nonsensical manner.

I don't disappear during the season, so get you're facts right. Don't be insulting toward me and i won't be to you, simple as. I want the best for Arsenal and i don't think we need him, far more important issues for the club right now then buying him.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Wow this is get very low blowlish isn't it. Just cause i don't want him at our club and don't think he's world class.. this is what i get

• Advertisement

Wow this is get very low blowlish isn't it. Just cause i don't want him at our club and don't think he's world class.. this is what i get

It was totally justified after what you wrote :pac:

Im sure it was intended as a light hearted joke, your taking this Cesc thing very serious.

Opinions are like Arseholes everyone has one. I respect your opinion for not wanting him back but disagree with your arguement on it that is all.

Im sure it was intended as a light hearted joke, your taking this Cesc thing very serious.

Opinions are like Arseholes everyone has one. I respect your opinion for not wanting him back but disagree with your arguement on it that is all.

And some opinions are full of **** :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So what's going on in here then...

Oh.

Pb0uR86.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It would be madness to let him go to another PL team, Arsenal need to become more ruthless about these things.

So it's OK if we dump players when we decide they aren't good enough for us, but not OK when they dump us and decide we aren't good enough for them?

• Advertisement

And world class players are sold all the time. Ozil and Ibrahimovic were undoubtedly world class players when Real and Barcelona sold them. Other factors come into play sometimes. It's not as simple as looper would like it to be at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No you can't have it both ways. Surely you can see that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

At the end of the day id love if we signed Fabregas but i wont be too bothered if we dont and if he signs for a rival f*ck him, we'll get over it, no player is more important than the club. Look at the bright-side , we have a nice group of core players just fresh after winning an FA Cup and gonna be hungry for more, Wenger has signed a new contract and hes gonna strengthen the squad and buy who he feels best for Arsenal, and we have the world cup to look forward to next week, no need to be bickering over Fabregas, i think this is gonna drag on for weeks as i dont think any business will be done till after the world cup.

Of course I do, I been supporting Arsenal since the mid 80's just want the best for the club. I just find it disrespectful, I wasn't insulting him and if I did I would be banned.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    It was totally justified after what you wrote :pac:

No it's not and I don't find it funny. Sorry. Insulting isn't justifying anything.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Arsenal need to become more ruthless about these things.

Stealing Costa from under Chelsea noses would have been a nice start.
    I'm fed up seen them getting these top players.
    I'm hope Wenger has some top class signings ready to be rolled out at the start of the season.

Do you reckon Jose would have the balls to let Hazard go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

lest not forget we won the cup :)

thorbarry wrote: »
    lest not forget we won the cup :)

Hopefully it lead to a few others, we ain't far away from having a team that can win leagues and cups. A few Singings and keep our best players, no serious injuries and we should be rearing to go at the start of the season.

When is Theo back does anyone know?

Of course I do, I been supporting Arsenal since the mid 80's just want the best for the club. I just find it disrespectful, I wasn't insulting him and if I did I would be banned.
    No it's not and I don't find it funny. Sorry. Insulting isn't justifying anything.

It was a light hearted joke.. Nothing more.
    You shouldn't get so worked up over nothing.

Does anyone else feel jack wilshere has peaked?
    I know hes only young and had alot of injuries but I just feel he as the limit of his abilities and if he doesnt push on this season then id have no problem selling him next summer to be honest?

whats everyone elses view?

I know hes only young and had alot of injuries but I just feel he as the limit of his abilities and if he doesnt push on this season then id have no problem selling him next summer to be honest?

Well imo he had a very good season. After coming back from a year off i didn't expect much, but he played really well when he was on the wing.

Either way i woudn't want to sell him.. Players like him are handy to keep around.

No way has he peaked and barring a disastrous season he shouldn't be anywhere near sell him level.

No issues with being dropped but he has a lot to offer the squad, I still think he has a huge future for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He really needs a sustained period of time playing week in week out to develop consistency and maturity.

The problem is he does not seem at all resilient to injuries and the type of game he plays makes him particularly prone to them.

Maybe he needs to adapt his style of play or maybe it's something physical required. Maybe this new fitness guru has the answer. Fingers crossed. If he lives up to his potential, he's world Class.

Ya I guess I should give him more time but I dont quite think he will live up to expectations for some reason.

Hes tenacious yes but not quite got the tackling/defensive skills to be a dm.
    He likes going forward but is often easily dispossesed and lacks the vision and shooting skills to be a great creative midfielder.
    As another poster suggested I think he needs to adapt his game because he often looks a bit lost out there in my opinion.

We all remember his game against barca yes and those 2 goals in the champions league last season but to be honest I dont remember a whole lot else to praise him on since.

Selling him, wouldn't go that far. He had a good season, but once again injuries interrupted his progress. He needs to have a great world cup, not get injured and come back ready to go for Arsenal. I fully expect him to be a world class player, but if he continues getting injuries then I can't see him lasting really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement