Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Yes, but we don't need him. In fact, players like Ramsey would suffer if he came back.

I agree we dont need him and he wouldnt start but anything rather than let him strengthen a rival. Sell him in January for peanuts to PSG then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yes, but we don't need him. In fact, players like Ramsey would suffer if he came back.

Agreed.

Provided the money is spent elsewhere I'm happy, but if we're sitting here in August with 30m in the bank then I'm getting my pitchfork out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Raf32 wrote: »
    I agree we dont need him and he wouldnt start but anything rather than let him strengthen a rival. Sell him in January for peanuts to PSG then.
    What's the point? If Chelsea don't get him, they'll just go for Vidal, Kroos, Pogba etc. Can't stop that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Why?

Dm Ramsey
    Theo fab ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Why?

Dm Ramsey
    Theo fab ozil
    You want to use our best attacking midfielder as a dm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why?

Dm Ramsey
    Theo fab ozil
    Ozil isn't a winger. And signing Fabregas will stop Wenger splashing out on the positions we actually do need to strengthen, such as the aforemented DM, and striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gunnersopinion.com ‏@gunnersopinion 55s
    If Cesc goes to Chelsea, along with Costa, they've won the title. We've handed them the title just like we did for United and van Persie.

Find it very hard to disagree with this.

And that is why we should get fabregas!

to stop chelsea for getting him and we would have added strength in depth to boot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Are people forgetting we have a few aging midfielders and a horrific injury record which we were reminded of last night, I dont see how we could pass up on him if the chance presents itself

What's the point? If Chelsea don't get him, they'll just go for Vidal, Kroos, Pogba etc. Can't stop that.

I know just raging he will end up at chelsea and not thinking logically. Fabregas would not start for us, we have two better midfielders than him but just hurts seeing him at Chelsea.

Ramsey is a box to box, same position he played last season only with a better dm beside him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we've passed up on Cesc then I think what Gazidis meant when he said...
    The manager is not scared to spend, has the experience, but as always will have to juggle a set budget

Is that we still have a budget. Possibly one that does not allow us to blow 30 million on a player we really don't need.

People need to chill out. If Cesc had never been at Arsenal - Say it wasn't Cesc but Juan Mata.

Should we blow a big wedge of our transfer budget on him given the current state of the squad?

Ramsey, Walcott, Ozil all have to start when fit. Playing a lone striker leaves 2 more spots - He can't play DMF or Arteta role so that leaves one spot and everyone else a bit further back in the pecking order.

We had first buy back. We could buy him instead of letting him go to our rivals.

and fabregas would be happy to join us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

dinorebel wrote: »
    You want to use our best attacking midfielder as a dm?

Ramsey isn't an attacking mid..

If i'm honest.. As long as we address the positions that need strengthening then i'll be happy.

But if we end up doing nothing i'll be royally pissed!

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Ramsey isn't an attacking mid..

If i'm honest.. As long as we address the positions that need strengthening then i'll be happy.

But if we end up doing nothing i'll be royally pissed!

Exactly how i feel.

Wenger needs to go and buy a DM and a world class striker, 50m for the said world class striker and 30m for a world class DM.

doable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Wenger needs to go and buy a DM and a world class striker, 50m for the said world class striker and 30m for a world class DM.

doable

he needs to do it, otherwise there'll be a severe meltdown at the emirates. It'll get ugly.

doable

IG speaking about managing funds, we will not spend over 40 million net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hasn't Wenger already said they aren't on the look out for a DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Sickened at the thought of Fabregas in a Chelsea shirt. When we get a few injuries to our attacking mids and are left threadbare coming up to a busy fixture period, we'll regret not having the depth needed to see us through, mark my words. We should be biting their hand off at €33m in my opinion. I'll wait til the end of the window before fully judging though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Correct call by the club and I'm happy they made it

• Advertisement

Awkward moment when Arsenal fans wants their midfielders to get injured just to prove that not bringing back Cesc was a mistake. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Who wants our players to get injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Who wants our players to get injured?

If we wanted our players injured we'd permanently be the happiest fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

What makes it worse is not that he is probably going to Chelsea but that he seems to be going so cheap.

Where was the meltdown when mata moved in January

Don't let emotion get in the way correct call by club now strengthen where we need

Don't let emotion get in the way correct call by club now strengthen where we need

Mata has never captained Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The club lost all transfer goodwill last summer, I have no faith in there being a 'plan'. Serious changes needed imo, hope they prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Chelsea would never have sold to us. The difference with Fabregas is he was ours if we activated the buy back clause and with our injuries last season you can never have too big and good enough squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Awkward moment when Arsenal fans wants their midfielders to get injured just to prove that not bringing back Cesc was a mistake. :):)

haha probably gave that impression with my post but that's far from the truth! I just don't see why we can't, for once, be the club that has a plethora of options, especially when it looks like we'll actually be short of options next year with the likes of Flamini, Rosicky and Arteta surely coming to the end of their time with us. I think that if we're to win the league, we need to have the luxury of a player like Fabregas. That said, I do think a striker should be our main concern still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

hsbc wrote: »
    David Ornstein of the BBC on Twitter - he's usually pretty reliable:

David Ornsteinbbcsport_david 11m
    Arsenal have informed Barcelona they won't be exercising buy-back option on Fabregas. He was keen but #afc not seeking a creative midfielder

David Ornsteinbbcsport_david 10m
    Fabregas now open to market & future likely to be sorted in next few weeks. #Afc priority striker & right-back + will get back-up goalkeeper

Can people not read? What this says is that Arsenal are not exercising their buy-back option. That is all, nothing about Chelsea, nothing about Man City, not even that Arsenal wouldn't be interested at any price.

If I recall correctly, this was set at £30m+. Given that Barcelona need to sell to buy and that Fabregas' stock sees to have fallen, is his price on the open market still £30m+?

Remember we had a percentage of any higher sell-on fee so we can't lose on this one. If the market price is below our buy-back clause, why can't we enter the market at that point? If the market price is above our buy-back clause, we get a percentage of that amount.

I know just raging he will end up at chelsea and not thinking logically. Fabregas would not start for us, we have two better midfielders than him but just hurts seeing him at Chelsea.

So thinking logically, we have two better midfielders than Fabregas so Chelsea spending £33m on him would mean they are wasting money on a player inferior to those at Arsenal while we save our money to spend on genuinely better players. Surely that is a good thing?

dvemail wrote: »
    Mata has never captained Arsenal.

That's you thinking with emotion, he is not needed not as a priority anyway

Godge wrote: »
    So thinking logically, we have two better midfielders than Fabregas so Chelsea spending £33m on him would mean they are wasting money on a player inferior to those at Arsenal while we save our money to spend on genuinely better players. Surely that is a good thing?

Only if we buy what we need. If we got a world class striker and a good DM, i couldnt care where Fabregas plays. We mightn't spend the money though and i would rather have a quality backup rather than 30 million sitting in the bank account. If it wasnt before its now Arsenes biggest ever summer in charge.

Only if we buy what we need. If we got a world class striker and a good DM, i couldnt care where Fabregas plays. We mightn't spend the money though and i would rather have a quality backup rather than 30 million sitting in the bank account. If it wasnt before its now Arsenes biggest ever summer in charge.

There is no way wenger would pass up on cesc if he didn't have plans in place

That's you thinking with emotion, he is not needed not as a priority anyway

If i didn't have any emotion or affinity to our current/ex players I wouldn't be supporting a football team.
    I'd be a neutral looking on blissfully unaware of all the hardship a supporter of any football team put themselves through every year. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »
    The club lost all transfer goodwill last summer, I have no faith in there being a 'plan'. Serious changes needed imo, hope they prove me wrong.

This is it exactly.

I don't have too much of a problem not going for Cesc, AS LONG as we are instead actively pursuing players for ALL of the positions we need (i.e Striker, DM, RB, GK at least).

After last years window I think a lot of us have lost faith that we are going to do this.

• Advertisement

There is no way wenger would pass up on cesc if he didn't have plans in place

Thats what I'm hoping too or the club have lost the plot. Cavani please and ill drive Cesc to wherever!haha

dvemail wrote: »
    If i didn't have any emotion or affinity to our current/ex players I wouldn't be supporting a football team.
    I'd be a neutral looking on blissfully unaware of all the hardship a supporter of any football team put themselves through every year. :p

Love ex players once they retire not before it

Love ex players once they retire not before it

Henry??
    Know what you are saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I’m just horrified at the thoughts of him in a Chelsea shirt. I’d be happy as larry if he ended up at PSG or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jasus meltdown central already were in for a long summer, people saying were handing Chelsea the title by not wanting Cesc rubbish has shades of the meltdowns last summer everytime Spurs signed a player, we should have signed Soldado, Lamela, Capoue etc last summer just because Chelsea sign one player don't mean anything really.

We don't necessarily need Cesc so if we go out and buy players in the positions we need I'll be happy yea it will sting a bit to see him in the EPL not in Arsenal shirt but we need a DM, RB,CF and LW all first over letting our emotions rule the roost.

The fact people are putting Ozil on the wing, Ramsey in DM etc to try accomodate him into the starting lineup says it all.

David Ornstein is and isn't reliable as in he gets his news directly from Arsenal meaning they feed him what they want the press to know sometimes using him as there little puppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Jasus meltdown central already were in for a long summer, people saying were handing Chelsea the title by not wanting Cesc rubbish has shades of the meltdowns last summer everytime Spurs signed a player, we should have signed Soldado, Lamela, Capoue etc last summer just because Chelsea sign one player don't mean anything really.

We don't necessarily need Cesc so if we go out and buy players in the positions we need I'll be happy yea it will sting a bit to see him in the EPL not in Arsenal shirt but we need a DM, RB,CF and LW all first over letting our emotions rule the roost.

The fact people are putting Ozil on the wing, Ramsey in DM etc to try accomodate him into the starting lineup says it all.

David Ornstein is and isn't reliable as in he gets his news directly from Arsenal meaning they feed him what they want the press to know sometimes using him as there little puppet.

Conspiracy time. For Arsenals clause to work another team has to bid first so we feint disinterest getting Chelsea to bid then swooping in and taking Cesc home. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Fabregas is a top class player and any club suggesting that they dont want him is a bit crazy to me.

Man United, Liverpool even Man City could all do with having him in their teams/squads. I think Arsenal are similar in that regards also.

There is an obsession among fans that there has to be one dedicated defensive minded centre midfielder at all times which i dont buy into.

Why could you not have Ozil, Ramsey and Cesc as a midfield 3 behind Ox, Giroud, Theo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Meant to post this up sooner, but didn't get a chance. Sorry lads. As you can see there were no hot or cold balls used in the making of this draw...Ecuador :mad:
    Group A
    (11) Brazil: CatInABox
    (18) Croatia: batistuta9
    (24) Mexico: Omeceron
    (59) Cameroon: OneEightSeven

Group B
    (1) Spain: Raf32
    (8) Netherlands: Muirshin Durkin
    (12) Chile: farna_boy
    (57) Australia: Bad2dabone

Group C
    (4) Colombia: wawaman
    (15) Greece: dorgasm
    (17) Ivory Coast: gandalf
    (44) Japan: Jonny666

Group D
    (6) Uruguay: extra gravy
    (9) Italy: Skylinehead
    (10) England: D_turbo
    (31) Costa Rica: Gringo

Group E
    (7) Switzerland: Mickeroo
    (21) France: Marty McFly
    (22) Ecuador: L'prof
    (34) Honduras: iron kiwi

Group F
    (3) Argentina: clouter
    (16) Bosnia & Herzegovina: tayto lover
    (33) Nigeria: Fuzzy_Dunlop
    (49) Iran: Quazzie

Group G
    (2) Germany: Soupie
    (13) USA: Pappa Dolla
    (14) Portugal: omega man
    (23) Ghana: tipp_gunner

Group H
    (5) Belgium: wonga7
    (19) Russia: Jacksparrow
    (32) Algeria: Shano_88
    (56) South Korea: Greendom

Spain, you beauty! Got Cesc on my team :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

slingerz wrote: »
    Fabregas is a top class player and any club suggesting that they dont want him is a bit crazy to me.

Man United, Liverpool even Man City could all do with having him in their teams/squads. I think Arsenal are similar in that regards also.

There is an obsession among fans that there has to be one dedicated defensive minded centre midfielder at all times which i dont buy into.

Why could you not have Ozil, Ramsey and Cesc as a midfield 3 behind Ox, Giroud, Theo?

Because we'd get absolutely destroyed..

If a team wants to play a bunch a technical midfielders then there has to be someone in the middle who'll do the dirty work. Name me one team without a DM that is successful?

If a team wants to play a bunch a technical midfielders then there has to be someone in the middle who'll do the dirty work. Name me one team without a DM that is successful?

destroyed by whom? I'm not saying you cant have a single 1 in the squad but you just dont need them to be played in every game.

Its not as if Cesc/Ramsey are devoid of the ability to tackle.

I wouldnt have suggested that Vieria/Petit were 'defensive midfielders' or even Roy Keane at that time either more so centre midfielders with a wide skill set

This is ozils team now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Exactly I think people these days confuse the role of a DM.

Yes it has evolved but teams still play with one they used to be kick and tackle types, but now they need to do that and play ball as well be able to pass and tackle.

Say a Matic at Chelsea, Busquets and Barcelona much more technical than Makelele or Gilberto were but still essentially the same role imo.

Play with a middle of Ramsey, Cesc and Ozil teams would steam roll ya, either that or you be puching one them to deep and not using them to the best of there abilities.

This is ozils team now

IMO Cesc > Ozil

Dm Ramsey

Pretty much where he played all season, no-one suggested him as a dm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement