Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Exactly I think people these days confuse the role of a DM.

Yes it has evolved but teams still play with one they used to be kick and tackle types, but now they need to do that and play ball as well be able to pass and tackle.

Say a Matic at Chelsea, Busquets and Barcelona much more technical than Makelele or Gilberto were but still essentially the same role imo.

Play with a middle of Ramsey, Cesc and Ozil teams would steam roll ya, either that or you be puching one them to deep and not using them to the best of there abilities.

Man City had Fernandinho last season, not a 'DM' destroyer but a typical centre mid with a wide skill set. The likes of Carzola are the more typical advanced midfielder that doesnt contribute totally defensively.

There is still no reason why Cesc-Ramsey-Ozil couldnt work

Gunners fans are trying to see a reason behind Wenger not wanting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nice, Italy. Play awful....BANG they're in the final :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Iran. :(

At least it starts with IR I suppose :p

Quazzie wrote: »
    Iran. :(

At least it starts with IR I suppose :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

slingerz wrote: »
    Man City had Fernandinho last season, not a 'DM' destroyer but a typical centre mid with a wide skill set. The likes of Carzola are the more typical advanced midfielder that doesnt contribute totally defensively.

Not trying to find a reason :confused: There is no reason to sign him apart from the he's an ex Arsenal captain etc.

That midfield would never ever work.

Yes Ramsey has a wide skill set but playing with a DM such a Fernandinho did for City a lot give Ramsey more freedom in his role to really push up when needed and also help out defensively when needed without having to command either area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

slingerz wrote: »

Man City had Fernandinho and Yaya Toure in there midfield... Two big physical players with energy to burn.

Ramsey,Ozil and Cesc are all smaller nimble players that simple aren't good enough defensively.

Its basic football 101.. Name me a world class team that uses lots of attacking mids and doesn't have a strong DM?

France I'll take it bit of an outsider but better than Iran :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Feck it anyway thats a real kick in the nuts. I don't think we'll see him in Chelsea but I do think that Man United will get him now with City being 2nd choice.

Christ what happens if Spurs sign him !!!!!!!

Ivory Coast in the draw as well, well not that bad at least I have a couple of former Arsenal players to cheer on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Not trying to find a reason :confused: There is no reason to sign him apart from the he's an ex Arsenal captain etc.

That midfield would never ever work.

Yes Ramsey has a wide skill set but playing with a DM such a Fernandinho did for City a lot give Ramsey more freedom in his role to really push up when needed and also help out defensively when needed without having to command either area.

So why not

Dm Ramsey
    Theo cesc ozil

• Advertisement

So why not

Dm Ramsey
    Theo cesc ozil

a) Ozil wasn't a winger a few hours ago, and he's not a winger now.
    b) Wenger isn't going to splash out on a DM, an RB, Fabregas and a striker. Might as well spend on what we actually need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Uruguay...might as well start getting used to shouting for Cavani before he signs for us :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

a) Ozil wasn't a winger a few hours ago, and he's not a winger now.
    b) Wenger isn't going to splash out on a DM, an RB, Fabregas and a striker. Might as well spend on what we actually need.

He was a winger for most of last season

So why not

Dm Ramsey
    Theo cesc ozil

But we'd still need a DM..

If i'm honest i'd rather Griezmann or Draxler over Cesc.

He was a winger for most of last season

He did play in part on the wing, but he was misused out on the wing and the only reason he was played there was because of injuries.

I'd rather sign a LW, start Ozil as the AM relegate Cazorla to the bench as his back up.

Signing a starting LW would make more sense and give us lots of options.

He did play in part on the wing, but he was misused out on the wing and the only reason he was played there was because of injuries.

I'd rather sign a LW, start Ozil as the AM relegate Cazorla to the bench as his back up.

Signing a starting LW would make more sense and give us lots of options.

^ This

This team looks a lot better, than a team with Cesc
    1011189_Championship_Manager_Team.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes, but we don't need him. In fact, players like Ramsey would suffer if he came back.

Tell us that again half-way through the season when as usual we are dogged with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

AUSTRALIA!

Tell us that again half-way through the season when as usual we are dogged with injuries.

But no one is saying don't sign midfielders just that Cesc isn't the most logical of transfers as he doesn't play in an area were short in.

Sign a LW and a DM makes more sense and still leave us with lots of cover and options.

We need other players. What would you rather have, cover for injuries at creative midfield or a properly good defensive midfielder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We cant judge if rejecting Fabregas was right until we see what business we do. I think we will all be in agreement one way or the other by the end of the market.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    We cant judge if rejecting Fabregas was right until we see what business we do. I think we will all be in agreement one way or the other by the end of the market.

Spot on if come the end of the summer we have signed no midfielders then I could understand anger and rage at not signing Cesc.

But if we sign a DM and a LW while missing out on Cesc I'll still be a happy camper.

It's far far to soon to be judging or getting angry over the possibility of missing out on one ex player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Arsenal are due 50% of any fee, so could be an extra £15m for transfers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Fooker wrote: »
    Arsenal are due 50% of any fee, so could be an extra £15m for transfers..

only on excess of 35 million, so we are getting zilch.

We need other players. What would you rather have, cover for injuries at creative midfield or a properly good defensive midfielder?

We have loads of money.
    Sign a DM, Striker, Cesc, a RB who can also play CB and maybe even a LW.
    Aren't they saying Wenger has loads of money to spend. Spend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Granted Cesc is a great player and the idea of him playing for Chelsea isn't nice

But Christ?

People thinking we can get a DMF, Cesc and a top class striker?

What's our team for the first big game next year? Ozil on the wing, right?

DMF
    Rambo
    Wally - Cesc - Ozil
    New striker

Who leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

L'prof wrote: »

Group B
    (1) Spain: Raf32
    (8) Netherlands: Muirshin Durkin
    (12) Chile: farna_boy
    (57) Australia: Bad2dabone

Not the traitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

If Cesc goes to Chelsea, then I'll feel betrayed.

I will feel that everything he ever said was a load of bull****.

Now his dream is over and he'd just go to Chelsea despite talking about how hard it was to leave Arsenal? Nah.

If he goes to Chelsea, I won't have the love for him as I always had.

cathalio11 wrote: »

Now his dream is over and he'd just go to Chelsea despite talking about how hard it was to leave Arsenal? Nah.

In fairness you can't blame Cesc.
    He's being forced out of Barca with very little teams interested (so we hear)

I'd say he probably thought we'd make an offer and he'd rejoin us, but that wasn't to be. So the only place left is Chelsea and since his Wife and kid both live in London its a no brainer for him.

Family comes before football..

Bosnia & Herzegovina: tayto lover

How come I got 2 teams?

cathalio11 wrote: »

If there's no other team in for him except Chelsea then where do you think he will go?

• Advertisement

I mean last season when we signed Ozil, everyone had the same response...

'Wow! World class player but they don't really need an AMF, do they?'

Now following that AND the emergence of Ramsey as an undroppable player, people are going nuts because Arsenal might be choosing not to spend 30 million on another CMF/AMF.

We lost the league last year because of woeful performances in the big games and a lack of goals scored overall. Is another AMF really going to change that, regardless of whether it's Cesc or not?

IMO he'd slot in well. Do better than Caz but take a lot of goals on Rambo because he makes the same type of run.

A striker, winger or DMF would make a far greater addition to our points total though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ronjo

Bosnia & Herzegovina: tayto lover

How come I got 2 teams?

I will take Herzegovina off you Tayto as I missed out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

ronjo wrote: »
    I will take Herzegovina off you Tayto as I missed out :)

We can share Greece and the certain glory they'll bring :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ronjo

dorgasm wrote: »
    We can share Greece and the certain glory they'll bring :P

I will have my fingers in many pies at this rate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Fabregas could play up front, he's done it for Spain? :p

Also, it seems he would come back if he could. If he goes elsewhere you can't blame him. Could end up in Italy or Germany too?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

(3) Argentina: clouter

Happy enough with that!!!!

Ghana.....oh well sure thats the luck of the draw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I would be disappointed if he goes to Chelsea but I think my expectation levels of footballers loyalty has always been low. And I don't blame them. At the end of the day it's their profession.

If I was being forced out of my dream job and my old company who I loved didn't want me back and the only realistic big suitor that could match the job title and successful role I was used of wanted me.....I'd go!

People will say football is different. I don't think it is. These guys have different mindsets to fans and they have too.

Don't like Van Persie but don't feel a lot of aggro towards him bar when he scores. He made a football decision in my opinion and got his reward.

Ya know what I think we might be missing the bigger message of all of this - for once we are doing the shunting and not the player. This time it is the managers choice.

Can only lead me to believe he has some excellent additions in the works but maybe more importantly he knows exactly what is going to come from the likes of Ramsey, Ox, Wilshere and Ozil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Why do people want Ozil out for Fabregas? Ozil will be immense next season if we can get Walcott and the Ox (and hopefully another striker) fit and playing a lot cos he can pick out a pass just as well as Fabregas can.

People forget how quickly Fabregas went on strike to leave Arsenal (would his DNA have been tugging away at him so much if it was Levante? He saw easy trophies, being the prodigal son and it hasn't worked out boohoo) while Ozil came to us as a marquee signing and pretty much must know he is seen as what Bergkamp was when he came - the signal of a new era.

DNA boy can go to Chelsea for all I care - huge admiration for him as a player but the day he walked out on Arsenal to go to a Grand Prix was the day I stopped caring. Plenty more fine players out there - as long as we do the business in the market I couldn't give a sod who he plays for - no better than van Persie in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll come back to this post in September and take the flak if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling it's going to be an inadequate summer for us in the transfer market again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'll come back to this post in September and take the flak if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling it's going to be an inadequate summer for us in the transfer market again.

Im tend to agree, thats why I dont get why we wouldnt take Fab back if available. Its all well and good talking about the other players we have for midfield but what about when one or two of them get crocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm quite confident we'll be disappointed. Im usually positive but not about transfers.signing an aged midfielder with a broken back makes me think there's no transfer plan.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

It will be viewed as such by many on here regardless.

3 outfield players I think it the absolute max, especially if they're in the pitch at the same time.

Striker and RB defo. Hopefully a winger or a DMF as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

If Wenger turned down the chance to get back his prodigal son then he must have something up his sleeve.
    We will buy somebody for 30 million plus. Just have a good feeling.

and by the way, im not hoping any of our players get injured just so I can claim to be right in a few months time.
    Its been obvious for years that certain areas have needed to be strengthned at certain times. The money is there now but it was also there last year and outside of Ozil we didnt show much ambition in the market, especially in January when Walcott got hurt and somehow an aging midfielder who should never have passed a fitness test slipped through.
    Some many of you have faith in Wenger addressing the weaknesses in the team this summer but im not sure why your all so optimistic. I sincerely hope he does buy a new rb, back up gk and a top class striker.
    Even if we do buy all them there is still room for another top midfielder in our squad and I find it hard to take anyone seriously who says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I have a suspicion we have already got Aurier in the bag and there working on Cavani or someone of that ilk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

wonga77 wrote: »
    and by the way, im not hoping any of our players get injured just so I can claim to be right in a few months time.
    Its been obvious for years that certain areas have needed to be strengthned at certain times. The money is there now but it was also there last year and outside of Ozil we didnt show much ambition in the market, especially in January when Walcott got hurt and somehow an aging midfielder who should never have passed a fitness test slipped through.
    Some many of you have faith in Wenger addressing the weaknesses in the team this summer but im not sure why your all so optimistic. I sincerely hope he does buy a new rb, back up gk and a top class striker.
    Even if we do buy all them there is still room for another top midfielder in our squad and I find it hard to take anyone seriously who says otherwise.

I don't really think anyone is saying that we shouldn't be trying to add top players to our squad. The thing is at this point most of us are realistic about transfers during the summer and realise that despite what Gazidis or Usmanov or anyone else says, there is a budget that Wenger has to stick to (I actually think Gazidis said as much the other day as well).

What I am saying is that we should use the budget to buy the best players for the positions we need first. For example, if our budget is 80 Million, I would prefer it to be spent on Cavani and a DM/RB first, and then bring back Cesc if we can after.

The problem with buying Cesc first is that our budget is then reduced to say 50 million and ok, we might be able to buy Cavani with that sum but it would mean we would only have Jenkinson and a youth player as back up in RB, Arteta/Flamini would still be first choice and we have no backup keeper.

At the end of the window Wenger is going to be criticised anyway, but I would prefer us to go out and address the problems that were there last year, i.e. lack of goals and needing a top DM, rather than trying to focus on what might happen next year due to injuries.

Can I ask where is all this talk of cavani coming from? Is he definitely leaving psg?

Chamberlain injured again in an England friendly.
    Wasn't Wilshere injured in an England friendly too.
    What the Hell is wrong with our players at all. Are they made of feckin glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Paleface

Fabregas was (and still is to some respect) my favourite Arsenal player of all time.

If Wenger has decided to spend the 30m elsewhere then I can't disagree that the money would be better spent on other positions.

If its not spent then its a criminal decision given that Cesc would seemingly love to return to the club and another rival will possibly be strengthened as a direct result of Arsenal's actions if he doesn't.

The way he has always talked about the club is that of a man who has a genuine affection and he must feel like he has unfinished business as a former club captain. This is the burning ingredients for success that you just can't buy(no pun intended).

If he signs for Chelsea in particular I'll be so sickened. I can't stand Mourinho and everything he encompasses within professional soccer. His constant bull**** and rhetoric make him unsavoury to anybody that isn't cheering on his current team.

/rant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement