Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

So assuming we sign nobody (quite likely) would love to see us finally line out with.

Arteta--Ramsey

Ozil
    Wally
    Chambo
    Giroud

We are in dire need of pace and power and we already have that player in The Ox.
    We just need him to steer clear of injury along with Walcott. Will see the best from Ozil and
    Giroud with balls in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm 100% sure that we'll sign 2 players.
    Who they'll be on not so sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bpcy0jOCYAA30XQ.jpg
    Ozil supposedly had a bad year and was setting up Giroud and Podolski. His first year in England too.
    Fabregas setting up some of the best players in the world.
    Ozil is a vastly superior player if that wasnt known already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

So a rb and a keeper?

We need at least 4 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

A Top class striker and top class Defensive midfielder. Without them two we won't win the league. Throw in a right back and a reserve keeper for the cheap. That be our lot for the summer. I like a left sided winger with pace too but doubt he splash out for 5 players this summer.

I expect 80 million spent this summer. Don't there be any star names really.

• Advertisement

So a rb and a keeper?

We need at least 4 players.

Heh.. I never said they'd be positive signings :pac:

Anyone expecting big names, I think will be disappointed to be honest. Maybe the Striker will be well known, I expect Remy to be our main striker. But I see Wenger going for up and comers instead of World class talent.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Anyone expecting big names, I think will be disappointed to be honest. Maybe the Striker will be well known, I expect Remy to be our main striker. But I see Wenger going for up and comers instead of World class talent.

agreed, i think we will go for Rabiot too if he wants a DM.

We need to concentrate on our team and make what improvements we need and not be worrying about other teams

Atletico Madrid have shown that you don't have to splash hundreds of millions into you're team to win titles. I think Wenger will buy what he needs, they might not please anyone who's wanting world class names or the 70 million pound signings. Wengers always made sure he's spent the money well and doesn't throw it here and there like the City's and Chelsea's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Atletico Madrid have shown that you don't have to splash hundreds of millions into you're team to win titles. I think Wenger will buy what he needs, they might not please anyone who's wanting world class names or the 70 million pound signings. Wengers always made sure he's spent the money well and doesn't throw it here and there like the City's and Chelsea's.

But he hasn't always bought what we needed has he?

Time after time we have been left short in vital positions.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ozil supposedly had a bad year and was setting up Giroud and Podolski. His first year in England too.
    Fabregas setting up some of the best players in the world.
    Ozil is a vastly superior player if that wasnt known already.
    What the...

But he hasn't always bought what we needed has he?

Time after time we have been left short in vital positions.

I mean this summer he will buy what he needs. If he doesn't it be crazy.

I agree in the past we have been let down by Wenger's stubbornness not to spend. I always hate Transfer windows with Wenger and some of out fans. Wenger sheer stubbornness to not go out and buy what the side really needs, bargin buys (unless they are some of the buys of the season, with wenger isn't always the case) and free transfers are all good when you are mid table not when you want to win titles. some of Our Fan's can be just as dangerous demanding we buy players we don't need instead of positions where we need important signings that screwed us over during the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wouldn't mind Insigne.

Speedy forward that can run at a gap rather than cut back and shield the ball.

He can play either left or right.

I'd want serious investment in other parts of the squad if this was our attacking spend for the summer though.

greendom wrote: »
    No I said somewhere else that we should have spent more than we did but the figures quoted were wild exaggerations.

How were they exaggerated? Taking out the amount that has to be left in because of the stupid debt still left over £80 million as I recall. That's before the increased TV money, Puma money or Emirates money.

dvemail wrote: »

Sounds like the agent replying to himself tbh.

Guess you never know though.

gosplan wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind Insigne.

Speedy forward that can run at a gap rather than cut back and shield the ball.

He can play either left or right.

I'd want serious investment in other parts of the squad if this was our attacking spend for the summer though.

Career total (including Serie B) is 170 apps and 57 goals since 2009?
    8 goals in 37 appearances last year?

I'll pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Because people were equating cash reserve to transfer fund. That was never going to be the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'll pass.
    He's not a striker, more an inside forward. Think Hazard(ish)

We signed someone!

Albeit a very talented 17 year old who's name I can't pronounce. Just waiting to hear if he's constantly crocked and then it'll be 3 out of 3 checks!

Ladies and Gentlemen... Elias Chatzitheodoridis*...

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/jamie.spencer/991070/arsenal-complete-first-signing-of-the-summer-with-17-year-old-elias-chatzitheodoridis?ref=facebook&team=Arsenal&utm_campaign=Arsenal&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=facebook.com

*Does Wenger do this on purpose so he can have a giggle at English commentators?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'll pass.

He's more of a winger isn't he?

But yeah, just seems like agent talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would love us to get Paul Pogba, he is well within our grasp if we chase hard enough. I would rather have got David Villa on a free then sign Remy TBH. And go again next year for a quality striker (worst case scenario this is loike)......Villa would have been a lovely catch. Yes he is early 30's but forget about getting 4-5 yrs from him, take it year by year and it would have been a sweet deal. A bit like Rickie Lambert at pool, they will easy get 1-2 yrs from him with 10+ goals a season for pocket change.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would love us to get Paul Pogba, he is well within our grasp if we chase hard enough.

We've absolutely no chance of getting Pogba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would rather have got David Villa on a free then sign Remy TBH.

That's crazy talk. Villa has been brilliant but hes approaching the end of his career and he wants one more payday. He isn't going to get that at Arsenal. I wasn't surprised he ended up in the MLS.

Maybe I'm alone but I really rate Remy. If he ends up at Arsenal (which rumours strongly indicate will happen) I think he would be incredible for you. He will thrive with the sort of football you play. I think he'll score buckets of goals.

Remy at his age is at his peak.

At his peak and playing for QPR and Newcastle.

Not saying he wouldn't do a job for us but I'd find it hard to get excited about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont give a sh1t which striker we sign as long as he does his job and scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The latest rumour is that we're in for Pedro. Imagine him on the left, Ozil in the middle and Walcott on the right. Put a good pacy striker in front of them 3 and we could be devastating.

Kirby wrote: »
    That's crazy talk. Villa has been brilliant but hes approaching the end of his career and he wants one more payday. He isn't going to get that at Arsenal. I wasn't surprised he ended up in the MLS.

Maybe I'm alone but I really rate Remy. If he ends up at Arsenal (which rumours strongly indicate will happen) I think he would be incredible for you. He will thrive with the sort of football you play. I think he'll score buckets of goals.

Crazy talk...how so? :rolleyes:

Even if we got him contracted for one season it would have been a great bit of business. Villa always was and still is a quality player, far better then Eto and he managed to score 10 or so in the EPL.

Remy is average in my opinion no better the Podolski so why buy him....I was saying (if you read the post) as a last resort Villa instead of no striker or an average striker would have been great.

• Advertisement

Crazy talk...how so? :rolleyes:

Remy is average in my opinion no better the Podolski so why buy him....I was saying (if you read the post) as a last resort Villa instead of no striker or an average striker would have been great.

I'd hardly call 14 Goals and 3 assists "average"... When you consider he done that while playing for Newcastle, its very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we got a Pedro or Griezmann ie. quick wingers who finish chances, I'd be able to deal with Giroud + Remy or somebody similar.

Giroud
    Pedro Ozil Walcott
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Gibbs Kosc Mert Aurier
    Woj

I like the look of that team. Obviously Jack and Rambo are gonna need work but they have all of the necessary strengths to become a top class double pivot, at some point it needs to happen for the benefit of the club long term. Add Ox/Cazorla/Arteta/Rosicky in there and we're looking pretty strong.

I'd hardly call 14 Goals and 3 assists "average"... When you consider he done that while playing for Newcastle, its very impressive.

On that logic we should have stolen the march on Liverpool an got Rickie Lambert, he scored 13 and had 10 assists and that was for Southampton :eek: or take Adebayor back......he had 11 goals and 5 assists.

We are bigger and better then that. We need to be aiming higher for better players.

On that logic we should have stolen the march on Liverpool an got Rickie Lambert, he scored 13 and had 10 assists and that was for Southampton :eek: or take Adebayor back......he had 11 goals and 5 assists.

We are bigger and better then that. We need to be aiming higher for better players.

Southampton finished 7pst ahead of Newcastle and they had a team with lots of creative players to set up Lambert.

Also Remy was played on the wing for a number of games, and pretty much had zero creative players behind him.
    Par Balotelli there isn't any Strikers that we can get.. So imo we could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

stats dont mean much (at times) and can always be tailored to suit an arguement, I think Bergkamp scored something like 4 or 5 goals at Inter the year before he joined us. Likewise Henry (who I know was deployed as a winger) wasnt known as a goalscoring threat before he came to Arsenal.
    Chamakh had a great season before joining us and reportedly turned down an £18 million bid a year before he came to Arsenal and look how he turned out.
    My point being that nobody knows how a certain player will react/fit in/thrive or crumble when he joins a team.
    We may need to aim for a bigger name than Remy but at the same time I do think he could fit in nicely and do a job, he'd certainly be a better option than Sanogo and has much more mobility than Pod

Podolski is on fire tonight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Raf32 wrote: »
    Podolski is on fire tonight!!

I love the pod.

What's it this evening one goal and three assists, and ozil with another assist and hit the post.

Ozil played pretty well also despite the commentator trying to tell us how poor a form he is in with every second breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ozil played pretty well also despite the commentator trying to tell us how poor a form he is in with every second breath.

Let everyone else just agree that ozil is rubbish, the German Tom cleverly. We can just get on with enjoying him next season. Ja gunners, Ja.

On the subject of remy, at his asking price he makes sense. Proven goalscorer and settled in the country. He might not be the marquee signing folks want, but I'd take him to improve the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Anybody who would be disappointed with us signing Remy should give there head a shake. He is a player that would fit right into our style of play and system. He would score a hat full of goals with the likes of Ozil and Santi supplying him. I would rather us splash the big bucks on a world class defensive midfielder.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody who would be disappointed with us signing Remy should give there head a shake. He is a player that would fit right into our style of play and system. He would score a hat full of goals with the likes of Ozil and Santi supplying him. I would rather us splash the big bucks on a world class defensive midfielder.

Happy as a second striker but as our only purchase up front i would be pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Happy as a second striker but as our only purchase up front i would be pissed.

Remy and Giroud would be good enough especially with the return of Walcott and the arrival of another winger, add in Ramsey, Santi and Ozil and there is plenty of fire power there. Some fans have this idea that we need to splash 30-40+ million for a striker when the likes of Remy who is a proven goalscorer in the Prem Lge would just do as good of a job than most strikers around.

Look at the success the likes of Dortmund and Athleico have had without buying any super stars, its all about bringing in decent quality players that will fit into your system and having a good team spirit.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Remy and Giroud would be good enough especially with the return of Walcott and the arrival of another winger, add in Ramsey, Santi and Ozil and there is plenty of fire power there. Some fans have this idea that we need to splash 30-40+ million for a striker when the likes of Remy who is a proven goalscorer in the Prem Lge would just do as good of a job than most strikers around.

Look at the success the likes of Dortmund and Athleico have had without buying any super stars, its all about bringing in decent quality players that will fit into your system and having a good team spirit.

Who do we drop from midfield to allow Remy to play alongside Giroud?
    Don't think he is good enough to play up there by himself.

Who do we drop from midfield to allow Remy to play alongside Giroud?
    Don't think he is good enough to play up there by himself.

:confused:
    If he can do it for Newcastle he can do it for us

Giround and Remy leading the line in the champions league does not fill me with confidence TBH. And as was said who do we drop for him...we need alot better then him to play a 4-4-2. We dont have the pace or the organization to even dream of playing 3-5-2.

:confused:
    If he can do it for Newcastle he can do it for us

If that is the standard of player your happy with then all the more power to ya.
    Will be a lot less stressful transfer window for you than it will be for me.

Just think we should be setting our sights a bit higher for a position which needs strengthening most out of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If that is the standard of player your happy with then all the more power to ya.

Just think we should be setting our sights a bit higher for a position which needs strengthening most out of all.
    If we get Remy we will have 3 players capable of 20 goals a season Remy Giroud and Walcott add 15 from Ramsey and that's a pretty potent attack.

Well what realistic standard are you looking for?
    Par Balotelli and maybe Lukaku there's no other strikers available.

Remy,Giroud and Walcott would easily get enough goals between them. We'd also have plenty of cash left over for the other positions that need strengthening.

dinorebel wrote: »
    If we get Remy we will have 3 players capable of 20 goals a season Remy Giroud and Walcott add 15 from Ramsey and that's a pretty potent attack.

No denying that but we have the money to go get a player who could score 30 goals for us with our creativity in midfield.

Well what realistic standard are you looking for?
    Par Balotelli and maybe Lukaku there's no other strikers available.

Remy,Giroud and Walcott would easily get enough goals between them. We'd also have plenty of cash left over for the other positions that need strengthening.

Can we trust Walcott not to get injured again next season?
    Just imagine what we could do if we just lumped some money towards PSG for Cavani or Monaco for Falcao.
    I know it may never happen, but shag it, we are never gonna compete with just above average up spearheading our attack.

No denying that but we have the money to go get a player who could score 30 goals for us with our creativity in midfield.

Who? What player?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement