Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Which he also might have matched had he not got injured himself.

The criticism of Ozil has been beyond a joke at times.

Yup.

I totally get that people would expect more but to expect it in season no.1 in a new team and league is ridiculous.

Bit it's more about stupid journo's throwing the word 'flop' around.

I do this that assessing his 'attitude' is a bit silly though. Nothing against the poster above but I think it's just a very superficial and often untrue way to look at it.

For example Wilshire has a great attitude in that he's always making forward runs and looking for the ball - so that's ideal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I’m a huge fan of Ozil but if I was to offer one thing to get the media off his back it’s to change how he carries himself a little bit. He can look lazy and disinterested, which – surprise surprise - makes folks think he’s lazy and disinterested.
    Both Wenger and Joachim Low have urged him to work on his body language. I think it is something he’s going to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why does he need to do anything about his body language. All he needs to do is supply the ammunition and hopefully we sign a player or two who can convert them.

I see the Telegraph are reporting that Chelsea are trying to structure the deal to sign Cesc in a way to ensure we don't get a share of the profits from the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

gandalf wrote: »
    Why does he need to do anything about his body language. All he needs to do is supply the ammunition and hopefully we sign a player or two who can convert them.

I see the Telegraph are reporting that Chelsea are trying to structure the deal to sign Cesc in a way to ensure we don't get a share of the profits from the deal.

That would mean we would have got screwed twice in the deal, first for letting him go for so little and now this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Maire2009 wrote: »
    And Belgium - Vermaelen
    Ryo could be another one for Japan, although doubt he made there squad.

Anything over 30 million and we get half isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think because he (Ozil) was our marque signing we expected him to rip it up.....the honeymoon period is well and truely over for him now all the same. Even with the WC this year he really needs to step it up, I honestly believe it was a bit of a culture shock for him coming to the EPL but with the German lads around him he will do the bizzo season coming.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anything over 30 million and we get half isn't it?

Yep thats the deal.

I would love us to swoop in at the last minute and whip him away from Chelsea Willian style!!!

Why does he need to do anything about his body language.

If he didn’t look like he was moping then the media’s eye wouldn’t be on him so much.
    I mean he’s basically had a similar season as David Silva – who gets zero negative media coverage. He’s near the top of the stats or thereabouts in terms of chances created, yet I’ve seen him described as a flop, a misfit, and “nicking a living”.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If he didn’t look like he was moping then the media’s eye wouldn’t be on him so much.
    I mean he’s basically had a similar season as David Silva – who gets zero negative media coverage. He’s near the top of the stats or thereabouts in terms of chances created, yet I’ve seen him described as a flop, a misfit, and “nicking a living”.

And if he was a Man City or Chelsea player do you reckon the criticism would be as vitriolic? I doubt it, unfortunately with the press in the UK (and in Ireland) being an Arsenal player means that the players are already being viewed in a negative perspective no matter what they do!

And if he was a Man City or Chelsea player do you reckon the criticism would be as vitriolic? I doubt it, unfortunately with the press in the UK (and in Ireland) being an Arsenal player means that the players are already being viewed in a negative perspective no matter what they do!

If he played for City or Chelsea I absolutely don't think That Ozil would get the stick that he does. I’ve no idea why Arsenal get the negative coverage that we do, it’s something that still winds me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If he played for City or Chelsea I absolutely don't think That Ozil would get the stick that he does. I’ve no idea why Arsenal get the negative coverage that we do, it’s something that still winds me up.

Same reason why we get linked to every player under the sun along with United. It gets page views which creates more advertising revenue for the rags online. And we have one of the largest fan bases in the world.
    Nothing better than a derogatory article about one of the best no.10s on the planet saying how he is nicking a living to get people retweeting and posting the article and hence everybody going on to read it. Any publicity is good publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its the fact we have won nothing in a long time and doing poorly relatively speaking in the league that makes it easier for the media to rag on Wenger and Ozil. Its always being like this in the Media especially in the UK. Sure they rip the national team apart at every major tournament before they even kick a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yep thats the deal.

I would love us to swoop in at the last minute and whip him away from Chelsea Willian style!!!

If we wanted to really f*ck them over I would prefer if we swooped in last minute and loaned him to some mid table side for half nothing with an agreement he can't play against us and let him take points off all our rivals.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The sun saying we're after Nigel De Jong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The sun saying we're after Nigel De Jong.

Easily Milan's best player last year and is more than the hatchet man that people make him out to be. Would be a great signing.

Also seen that Athletico are interested in signing Cazorla.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

glued wrote: »
    Easily Milan's best player last year and is more than the hatchet man that people make him out to be. Would be a great signing.

I doubt he would be expensive either, would be a short term solution but with him and Flamini we would be well covered in that department with Arteta being third choice. Obviously it's the Sun so it's probably not true anyway but maybe it's a case of Wenger going for someone like him in the hope Bender will be more willing to move in a season or two?
    dvemail wrote: »
    Also seen that Athletico are interested in signing Cazorla.

I've come to terms with Cesc going somewhere else at this stage but if we sell Cazorla then I'd be very annoyed at us not signing him, having said that didn't Caz just sign a new contract anyway?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've come to terms with Cesc going somewhere else at this stage but if we sell Cazorla then I'd be very annoyed at us not signing him, having said that didn't Caz just sign a new contract anyway?

Yep signed one recently enough. Would be disappointed to see him leave even if he was properly replaced. That FA Cup final goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How old is De Jong? Always felt he was under rated during his time at City and a player I liked, haven't seen much of him in recent times but wouldn't be against it.

How old is De Jong? Always felt he was under rated during his time at City and a player I liked, haven't seen much of him in recent times but wouldn't be against it.

29 according to Wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He would make Flamini seem like an angel in comparison. Not complaining, he'd be an upgrade on the Frenchman for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Would be nice having someone who can do this to John Terry and other unlikable players

Nigel-de-Jong-Xabi-Alonso.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

thorbarry wrote: »
    Would be nice having someone who can do this to John Terry and other unlikable players

Van Bommel being top of that list

Said it on here a good few months back that De Jong would be a great signing and we should of got him before he went to Milan. Would add a bit of steel and nastiness to our team and its needed as we are a very soft team at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭ronjo

Said it on here a good few months back that De Jong would be a great signing and we should of got him before he went to Milan. Would add a bit of steel and nastiness to our team and its needed as we are a very soft team at times.

THe hacks will be out listing the number of red cards under Wenger soon enough

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't see the point in signing de Jong, not enough of an upgrade on what we have already.

I don't see the point in signing de Jong, not enough of an upgrade on what we have already.

He is a huge upgrade on Arteta as a defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Defensively he's a big upgrade imo.

I don't think he is.

He's really not going to improve the squad much if any on what it already is, nor are we short numbers in that area... and he's not going to get any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He is a huge upgrade on Arteta as a defensive midfielder.

Surely if we are to challenge for the league we have to be aiming higher than that though. We need a big strong DM with a great engine and a strong personality, a leader.

He's really not going to improve the squad much if any on what it already is, nor are we short numbers in that area... and he's not going to get any better.

Think he would definitely improve our squad as well as our starting XI. 70 odd caps for the Dutch national team and has played at the highest level all of his career including a World Cup final. A player with that calibre of experience would be a great addition to any squad, besides he won't cost any more than 10 million which is a bargain in todays market.

Surely if we are to challenge for the league we have to be aiming higher than that though. We need a big strong DM with a great engine and a strong personality, a leader.

I think De Jong ticks all of those boxes Tayto.

So De jong..

He's not good enough technically to hold down a starting spot. He'd be a good replacement for Flamini though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

thorbarry wrote: »

So you'd like someone in the Arsenal team that is capable of causing serious injury to players you deem "unlikable?"

That's a disgusting opinion to hold IMO, I do hope (Morse I would think) it's such an opinion is not the general consensus in here TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think De Jong ticks all of those boxes Tayto.

I wasn't overly impressed with him at City and wonder why they let him go if he's so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Forget De Jong, Sami K is who we want.

If De Jong is let go by City and Milan in the space of 2 years or so, we should consider why.

Similarly if Sami K is let go by Madrid, we should take that into account but we should also consider that they're a bit nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

If Wenger wanted De Jong, he would have signed him last season imo. Calling bull**** on this one

gosplan wrote: »
    Forget De Jong, Sami K is who we want.
    Agreed, that's the sort of level we should be aiming for. A proper partner for Ramsey.

He's not good enough technically to hold down a starting spot. He'd be a good replacement for Flamini though.

Arteta is a liability in the DMF role against the top sides. I think De Jong would come into the team in his place and do a good job. Claude Makelele wasn't blessed with great technique but was one of the best def mid in the prem league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Its the Sun, its definitely not true :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Panthro wrote: »
    So you'd like someone in the Arsenal team that is capable of causing serious injury to players you deem "unlikable?"

That's a disgusting opinion to hold IMO, I do hope (Morse I would think) it's such an opinion is not the general consensus in here TBH.

Relax the cax he was only joking no need for the drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Soups123 wrote: »
    Relax the cax he was only joking no need for the drama

In fairness, it was a pretty lame cheap shot post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Apparently, the Real Sociedad president has said that we have activated the buy-back clause for Vela. Not confirmed yet. I was hoping he would be used in a deal to get Griezmann but I'd say he will just be sold on at a profit to someone else.

Apparently, the Real Sociedad president has said that we have activated the buy-back clause for Vela. Not confirmed yet. I was hoping he would be used in a deal to get Griezmann but I'd say he will just be sold on at a profit to someone else.

Its from a very good source.
    Would love to have him back, he can play anywhere across the front 3 and has plenty of pace.

Now bring in Remy,Khedira,RB and a GK and i'll be happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Its from a very good source.
    Would love to have him back, he can play anywhere across the front 3 and has plenty of pace.

Now bring in Remy,Khedira,RB and a GK and i'll be happy :D

Have to say I find that list pretty uninspiring.

Arteta is a liability in the DMF role against the top sides. I think De Jong would come into the team in his place and do a good job. Claude Makelele wasn't blessed with great technique but was one of the best def mid in the prem league.
    de Jong would cost us points in the long run too. Makelele was a superior player all round.

Have to say I find that list pretty uninspiring.

People who are expecting a bunch of 25M players to be brought in are kidding themselves.

Our starting 11 when everyone is fully fit is very good. We need only to strengthen 1 or 2 areas and then fill in the other positions eg: RB & GK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    People who are expecting a bunch of 25M players to be brought in are kidding themselves.

I'm not expecting a bunch. But there better be at least one big name.... otherwise they should've gone ahead and bought Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Always though of De Jong as more of a brute than a footballer, how he didnt see red in the world cup final is a mystery. He'd be a bit of a "meh" signing tbh
    Id agree with whoever said above that it would be strange to see milan sell him after only two years

Then again this story originated in the sun so its most likely horsesh1t

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement