Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

3 or 4m for vela is superb business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bad2dabone wrote: »
    3 or 4m for vela is superb business.

Twist or stick ? If we could use Vela to get Griezmann I'd be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I reckon with the Puma deal that they will push for a marquee signing of sorts - i.e. bigger than Remy/Vela - to sell shirts. And he will wear Puma. So list Puma players :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is Balo a big enough signing? I have really warmed to the idea in recent days.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is Balo a big enough signing? I have really warmed to the idea in recent days.

He would be on the face of it. He's a very good player, just all the baggage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Maire2009 wrote: »
    He would be on the face of it. He's a very good player, just all the baggage!!

A65QW1a.jpg

He just got engaged...maybe she'll be the one that finally tames him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Is Balo a big enough signing?

Wikipedia saying he's 6ft 2". Seems big enough to me :pac:

A65QW1a.jpg

He just got engaged...maybe she'll be the one that finally tames him!

He has a child too now, doesn't he?

Christ, will the World Cup start so we can speculate on who we'd like to buy from Honduras instead of talking about how marriage might quieten the mad Italian :P:o:(:eek::cool::D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It would be great if some of you experts could post the countries that our players represent, the dates & times of their games and maybe the teams containing players who would suit or strengthen our squad.

I'm not great at computer stuff and don't know any of the foreign players.

Something like France v USA - we have Kos, Giroud etc playing and watch out for ?????? as he plays RB, DM etc and would suit Arsenal's style.
    It would make the World Cup extra interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Giving up our buy back clause on Vela might be a great make weight for Greizman as LW is one of the areas we are probably in need of a quality signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Personally I think we should take the cash in the bank and just bid 80/90 million for Suarez.

It'd be comical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

It would be great if some of you experts could post the countries that our players represent, the dates & times of their games and maybe the teams containing players who would suit or strengthen our squad.

Something like France v USA - we have Kos, Giroud etc playing and watch out for ?????? as he plays RB, DM etc and would suit Arsenal's style.

we have 12 players at the world cup representing 7 nations

Belgium -Thomas Vermaelen

Costa Rica - Joel Campbell

England - Ox, Wilshere,

France - Kos, Giroud, Sagna who is still ours for a while

Germany - Per, Ozil and Pod

South Korea - Park Chu-young

Spain - Santi Cazorla

wonga77 wrote: »
    we have 12 players at the world cup representing 7 nations

Belgium -Thomas Vermaelen

Costa Rica - Joel Campbell

England - Ox, Wilshere,

France - Kos, Giroud, Sagna who is still ours for a while

Germany - Per, Ozil and Pod

South Korea - Park Chu-young

Spain - Santi Cazorla

Thanks.

Sociedad president: "Arsenal have told us they are interested in Vela and we have to think on that. The player wants to continue here.";

Vela with Mexico...

greendom wrote: »
    Sociedad president: "Arsenal have told us they are interested in Vela and we have to think on that. The player wants to continue here.";

Vela with Mexico...

He doesn't play for Mexico anymore - had a falling out with the coach and said he'd never play for them again (not sure if ever or while that coach is there)

Edit: It was the Mexican Football Federation and he won't play for "personal reasons" now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

A team i'm looking forward to watching is Columbia, even without Falcao they have some quality attacking players

A team i'm looking forward to watching is Columbia, even without Falcao they have some quality attacking players

Have three strikers that would all be top signings for us.

Have three strikers that would all be top signings for us.

My young lad says that Chile have a good team and are dark horses.

Definitely are but I fear they are too undisciplined and will collect too many yellows and lose some key players for the knock out stages

Chile, Columbia, Belgium and Bosnia are my darkhorses, dont think any will win it though. Cant see past Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That will be an interesting group with Spain and Netherlands, have a feeling they could pip the Dutch to second place. Their defence isn't great so they'll have to play to their offensive strengths, should make for some good games.

Going to put 50 euro on Argentina tomorrow at 4/1 for an interest.

I was thinking more like a tenner :pac:

€5 on Argentina/Higuain double at 40/1

Balo 40/1 for top goalscorer if anyone really believes in him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Panthro wrote: »
    So you'd like someone in the Arsenal team that is capable of causing serious injury to players you deem "unlikable?"

That's a disgusting opinion to hold IMO, I do hope (Morse I would think) it's such an opinion is not the general consensus in here TBH.

It's only a joke. Relax the cax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Chile, Columbia, Belgium and Bosnia are my darkhorses, dont think any will win it though. Cant see past Argentina.

I like Chile and Bosnia myself. Don't think Belgium can be counted as dark horses based on them being almost everybody's dark horse :pac:

Chile for an each way bet but I reckon Brazil will win the World Cup on home soil for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Got bored.. Decided to watch this -

At 4M we have to sign him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

thorbarry wrote: »
    It's only a joke. Relax the cax

It was a poor post IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Panthro wrote: »
    It was a poor post IMO.

Jaysis, nobody cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm warming to the idea of Vela, assuming we also sign someone like Balotelli. A top striker. If it's Vela and no-one else alone, get the boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jaysis, nobody cares.

That's not true.
    I care..
    Sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Mr Blobby wrote: »

At 4M we have to sign him!!

Do we?

He's found his sweet spot at Sociedad.He settled in well there, has a good system that gets the best out of him and is doing well.We should leave him there and get as much as we can for him

We've seen first hand what he's capable of here.

Vela won't play in the lone CF role for us, where is he going to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Do we?

He's found his sweet spot at Sociedad.He settled in well there, has a good system that gets the best out of him and is doing well.We should leave him there and get as much as we can for him

We won't get anything from them if we leave him there, he is there player we just have a buy back clause.

I would take him back as Bendty boots replacement and a huge improvement there.

He would add really good cover for the front 3 places

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Do we?

No we haven't..
    He was never a regular for us and mostly played in cup matches or came on as a sub.

He can play anywhere across the front 3. He's mostly played LW & RW with him and Griezmann swapping.

He'd be perfect for us, with the amount of injuries we get.
    Walcott gets injured? Vela can play there!
    Cazorla gets injured? Vela can play there!
    Podolski gets injured? Vela can play there!

For me he's our version of Pogba for Utd or Sturridge for Chelsea. Let go too early and when he was given first team football he flourished.. Only difference is we have a chance to bring Vela back.. At a stupidly low fee.

Its a no brainer.

The Guardian are running with the Vela transfer as well.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/10/arsenal-sign-carlos-vela-real-sociedad

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Used to love his little chipped goals he seemed to only score , for us.

I like Chile and Bosnia myself. Don't think Belgium can be counted as dark horses based on them being almost everybody's dark horse :pac:

I can't look beyond Spain tbh.

I get the whole thing about it being in South America but I think with the heat and humidity there, harrying them and closing them down as they jog around for 90 minutes will destroy teams.

Then there's the fact that they're really good anyway and when it comes to the pressure of the business end of the conpetition, they're the most likely to just take it in their stride.

I like the idea of it too. Overall while they've pissed people off at times and the whole 75% possession thing is beginning to bore some and even become outdated, Spain and Barca over the last 4-6 years have been a really positive force in football.

I dunno how you'd pick the best international team of all time but they'd have to be up there and as much as anyone, a midfield of Busquets, Alonso, Xavi and Iniesta deserve a last success.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Orbinho ‏@Orbinho 2h
    Only eight players were involved in more goals (scored & assisted) than Carlos Vela in the top five leagues - 28.

Orbinho ‏@Orbinho 2h
    Those eight players Suarez (43) Ronaldo (40) Messi (39) Zlatan (37) Diego Costa (30) Reus, Alexis Sanchez & Yaya (29)
    Hopefully we're signing him to play him rather than just to flog him on. Who knows what state Theo will be in next season and neither Cazorla nor Podolski have the left wing position locked down. I'd like to see us have the option of Chamberlain left and Vela right; lots of pace and goals there.

Hopefully we're signing him to play him rather than just to flog him on. Who knows what state Theo will be in next season and neither Cazorla nor Podolski have the left wing position locked down. I'd like to see us have the option of Chamberlain left and Vela right; lots of pace and goals there.

Aye, it seems like a no brainer alright.

I'd be worried about his desire to play in England again but at that price, he's practically free and we could use him.

I mean even if it doesn't work out, what do we lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

The Sociedad president, Jokin Aperribay, “Arsenal have informed us that Vela would be with them next season.”

I suppose it depends who else is in the mix. The deal certainly looks a no-brainer financially speaking and that usually counts for a lot at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ronan14 wrote: »
    The Sociedad president, Jokin Aperribay, “Arsenal have informed us that Vela would be with them next season.”

Twitter or from something worthwhile?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Twitter or from something worthwhile?

Twitter can be worthwhile. It's just a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff. There is a lot of chaff mind

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Morata linked now. Quite a few saying Real are willing to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Morata linked now. Quite a few saying Real are willing to sell.

Ancellotti was quoted as saying he wants to leave and the club will allow him to leave. That was the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Soups123 wrote: »
    Ancellotti was quoted as saying he wants to leave and the club will allow him to leave. That was the weekend

What I've heard is that he will cost circa 15 million pounds or 24 million without the buy back clause in his contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement