Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would folks be happy with Vela and Morata as our reinforcements up top? I think the Vela deal is too good to turn down, plus the fact it's so cheap I can't see it not happening. Morata though, he seems pretty unproven to me.

If we sign both I don't think we'll be seeing a striker or winger in the 30m price range coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would folks be happy with Vela and Morata as our reinforcements up top? I think the Vela deal is too good to turn down, plus the fact it's so cheap I can't see it not happening. Morata though, he seems pretty unproven to me.

If we sign both I don't think we'll be seeing a striker or winger in the 30m price range coming in.

No I would like to see atleast one striker more proven than Giroud but I would be content with those two, especially Vela would love to see him succeed always rated him. Vela is a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Vela 4 million
    Balotelli 25 million
    Bender/Schneiderlin/Khedira 20 million
    Aurier 8 million
    Pantilimon Free
    All comes to under 60 million and would significantly improve us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd be happy with either (or both) as long as there was a bigger name in the making too. Just them, I'd be very unhappy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    No I would like to see atleast one striker more proven than Giroud but I would be content with those two, especially Vela would love to see him succeed always rated him. Vela is a no brainer

Yeah I agree Vela is a no brainer, if we weren't so familiar with him we'd probably all be jizzing ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They both make a lot of sense. Morata isn't what we need at all but at 21, he stands to get a whole lot better. Basically he'd just take Sanogo's place but if he's a good finisher, then I'd have no problem with that.

Vela to take Gnabry and Miyachi's spots and maybe prove to be a lot better and move himself up the pecking order.

If we got them two then I'd be fairly let down if we didn't have plans to make a move for a very expensive DMF.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Vela 4 million
    Balotelli 25 million
    Aurier 8 million
    Pantilimon Free

Bender would be about another 10m more I imagine but still good business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    They both make a lot of sense. Morata isn't what we need at all but at 21, he stands to get a whole lot better. Basically he'd just take Sanogo's place but if he's a good finisher, then I'd have no problem with that.

Vela to take Gnabry and Miyachi's spots and maybe prove to be a lot better and move himself up the pecking order.

If we got them two then I'd be fairly let down if we didn't have plans to make a move for a very expensive DMF.

I think you're underrating Gnabry and Vela there.

Can really see Gnabry making a career for himself at Arsenal and pushing Walcott for the a starting place on the team, he has the pace and technique to be a top player just needs a bit more experience.

Vela I could see slotting staight in on the LW Podoslki and Cazorla whilst both players I like don't really set the world on fir out there Vela could be much more of a threat than both of them.

Miyachi is done imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Vela 4 million
    Balotelli 25 million
    Aurier 8 million
    Pantilimon Free

All makes perfect sense, which is why I'd be incredibly surprised of any off it happened. No chance of us signing Balotelli, Pantilimon, Bender or Khedira. Vela and Aurier I'd say will happen. We'll be bargain basement shopping for our DMF.

keano_afc wrote: »
    All makes perfect sense, which is why I'd be incredibly surprised of any off it happened. No chance of us signing Balotelli, Pantilimon, Bender or Khedira. Vela and Aurier I'd say will happen. We'll be bargain basement shopping for our DMF.

Always the optimist :P

• Advertisement

I would see Vela as our first choice on the left too if he doesn't flop. Vela and Pod for the left, Walcott and Gnabry for the right. Vela, Pod & Walcott are also options up front if we need to try something different or have play someone alongside Giroud/Morata(or whoever ends up being bought).

Cazorla and Pod are squad players from here on imo, if we start the season with them as nailed on starters it will mean we've under performed in the transfer window again.

Always the optimist :P

Long memory Marty. Burned far too often when a sensible signing was there for the taking.

I'm more a realist. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Long memory Marty. Burned far too often when a sensible signing was there for the taking.

Perhaps - your posts are generally of a pessimistic nature though. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Good to have a range of opinions on here or it would get pretty boring.

Them were different days the signing of Ozil the chase for Suarez and Higuain signalled the dawn of a new era for me :).

Balotelli is very doable he will want Champions League football and Milan are meant to be short of a few quid. Khedira is also rumored to be available at a knock down price despite being a key player not so long ago he no longer features in Madrids plans :).

greendom wrote: »
    Perhaps - your posts are generally of a pessimistic nature though. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Good to have a range of opinions on here or it would get pretty boring.

I used to be an optimist. When we plugged gaps in the side. Then we stopped doing that and Wenger's stubbornness took over. The fact we had the stadium move didnt impact on our ability to spend money.

But anyway, thats an issue for another day. I just think the club has shown in the past 3 windows that they dont have a plan when it comes to recruiting. And thats the worrying part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    No we haven't..
    He was never a regular for us and mostly played in cup matches or came on as a sub.

He can play anywhere across the front 3. He's mostly played LW & RW with him and Griezmann swapping.

He'd be perfect for us, with the amount of injuries we get.
    Walcott gets injured? Vela can play there!
    Cazorla gets injured? Vela can play there!
    Podolski gets injured? Vela can play there!

For me he's our version of Pogba for Utd or Sturridge for Chelsea. Let go too early and when he was given first team football he flourished.. Only difference is we have a chance to bring Vela back.. At a stupidly low fee.

Its a no brainer.

Thats not really true, he had his chance at West Brom and was awful, he might do a job for ous upfront in 4-4-2 of sorts with Giroud, but cant see him doing it on the wing, takes way more power and fitness to make an impact on the wings than in Spain imo.

If Wenger plays in Theo's position he is going to struggle, he's only deceptively quick imo, Gnarby and Ox are much quicker than him and they struggle at times there to make space and beat there men.

Wenger is buying him to sell him on imo, he will be behind Giroud, New striker upfront and behind Ox, Theo, Ozil, Cazorla in the attacking midfield positions.

We messed him around before, If I were Vela I would tell Wenger to take a hike, he's doing great in Spain

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Thats not really true, he had his chance at West Brom and was awful, he might do a job for ous upfront in 4-4-2 of sorts with Giroud, but cant see him doing it on the wing, takes way more power and fitness to make an impact on the wings than in Spain imo.

If Wenger plays in Theo's position he is going to struggle, he's only deceptively quick imo, Gnarby and Ox are much quicker than him and they struggle at times there to make space and beat there men.

Wenger is buying him to sell him on imo, he will be behind Giroud, New striker upfront and behind Ox, Theo, Ozil, Cazorla in the attacking midfield positions.

We messed him around before, If I were Vela I would tell Wenger to take a hike, he's doing great in Spain

Big time, sure he's in his 60s at this stage. :P

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

There a big difference from playing as a technically gifted player with a technically minded team than playing with West Brom. He was also alot younger. Anytime I have seen him since he left he has been very good the potential was always there and he is at the right age for us to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Vela 4 million
    Balotelli 25 million
    Aurier 8 million
    Pantilimon Free

www.google.ie/search?q=pie+in+the+sky+picture&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=sXIKIADtdVXP6M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Vela 4 million
    Balotelli 25 million
    Aurier 8 million
    Pantilimon Free

And we could still afford Cesc :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

http://www.football-italia.net/50385/puma-help-arsenal-balotelli?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If theres any truth in these rumours then Arsenal need to act quick and get the signing done, otherwise if he has a good wc his price will only go up

wonga77 wrote: »
    http://www.football-italia.net/50385/puma-help-arsenal-balotelli?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If theres any truth in these rumours then Arsenal need to act quick and get the signing done, otherwise if he has a good wc his price will only go up

That rumours been around since xmas. Wouldn't get too excited.

wonga77 wrote: »

Too late to sign a player now. Will have to wait till early/mid July i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Cesc close to joining Chelsea.

I really really hope we know what we're doing, we need to get it right, otherwise we will look like we have been butt****ed yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I really really hope we know what we're doing, we need to get it right, otherwise we will look like we have been butt****ed yet again.

Am resigned to it too and really hope we have something special in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Did he tell you that himself or do you have a different source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We just don't need him though.

Yeah he would have gotten games last year but that's because we were routinely playing 4/5 CMF/AMF players.

The solution isn't to strengthen there but provided genuine options for the wings and the DMF positions.

With just a top level DMF and Wally fit, you'd be looking at 2 of Rambo/Arteta/Ozil/Wilshire/Rosicky/Ox to play. That's even leaving Caz/Pod on the left.

Also it's interesting that if they had never been at Arsenal before, there's only one of Vela/Fabregas we'd be interested in signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Did he tell you that himself or do you have a different source?

I think Sparrow is some kind of mind reader cause I can't see it anywhere on any football sites.

Who cares now really who he moves too? we don't need him, we have a great midfield that needs a top left winger and top Defensive midfielder, get them are midfield will be one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Looking like Kos may not get a starters spot in the French team. May be behind Varane and Sahko, that's some kick in the teeth after the season he has just had.
    Hopefully he will get the nod though.

dvemail wrote: »
    Looking like Kos may not get a starters spot in the French team. May be behind Varane and Sahko, that's some kick in the teeth after the season he has just had.

I think he's delighted to be there. When he got sent off in the 2nd leg of the play-off against Uruguay he couldn't have complained if he'd got a lengthy ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He should definitely be ahead of Sakho.

Him and Varane would be a class CB partnership.

Is he not banned for the first two games? Edit I see not was only one game.

Having Sakho in there ahead of him is the most bizare thing I've seen in a while but that French set up is always strange.

Same with Nasri not being there

Soups123 wrote: »
    Is he not banned for the first two games?

I've no idea.

I've no idea.

I answered myself, its a habit

Nasri not being there is a good thing for France. I fancy them more with him not in the side. Disruptive little git. The only reason his mot was so fuming at him not being picked was because it meant she had to look at his face all summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Less chance of him coming back to Arsenal crocked or tired out though and that is good for us.

Telegraph reporting that Chelsea have to give us 5 million for the Fabregas deal. Surely use that on Vela and if he doesnt work out sell him on for a profit.

Telegraph reporting that Chelsea have to give us 5 million for the Fabregas deal. Surely use that on Vela and if he doesnt work out sell him on for a profit.

So they're buying him for £10m? I understood we were to get half of any deal?

We get half of the amount above a certain amount, think over 25-30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nearly every source is saying its 50% of any profit made by Barca.

So if they sell him for say a 10million profit, you guys get 5million, not 50% of the total sale.

Although I've no idea about the deal and I'd say neither does some media sources.

I thought it was 50% of any transfer but 50% of any profit makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sigh.

I could be wrong, just going on what I've seen.

It makes more sense in a deal that Arsenal would get 50% of any profit because if Barca said 50% of any transfer it would be madness, unless Barca thought theyed never sell Cesc.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I could be wrong, just going on what I've seen.

It makes more sense in a deal that Arsenal would get 50% of any profit because if Barca said 50% of any transfer it would be madness, unless Barca thought theyed never sell Cesc.

Certainly a deal that Arsenal would have no problem agreeing to, considering how we had our pants pulled down on the transfer in the first place.

Certainly a deal that Arsenal would have no problem agreeing to, considering how we had our pants pulled down on the transfer in the first place.

From the outside looking at that transfer it was disguisting, especially the way the cringey, putting the Barca jersey on him at the World Cup celebrations went on.

It was horrible to watch from a non-Arsenal fans view so I can only imagine how ye felt about it, it summed up all I dont like about Barca in one incident really.

It's an annual butt****ing when you're an arsenal fan.

Hopefully this is the last one if the deal goes through that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's an annual butt****ing when you're an arsenal fan.

Hopefully this is the last one if the deal goes through that is.

It's annoying, but hardly a butt-f**ing this time. From what we know he had to be offered to Arsenal first and clearly that offer was passed up on, for reasons we can all see.

It will be sickening if it happens but selling him in the first place was the problem, we can't have any complaints now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@cesc4official: I firmly believe that Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies...

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think Sparrow is some kind of mind reader cause I can't see it anywhere on any football sites.

Who cares now really who he moves too? we don't need him, we have a great midfield that needs a top left winger and top Defensive midfielder, get them are midfield will be one of the best in the world.

Yes you were right I am a mind reader.

Yup, done deal.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    @cesc4official: I firmly believe that Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies...

Glad that is over with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement