Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Most of us agree that we didn't need him.

The issue is Chelsea getting all their business done before the WC while we're just sitting idly by. This is the story every.single.year with us. Have we ever actually signed someone before July? Chelsea will have 2 months to prepare their team in the off season while we're scrambling around for scraps.

I don't know what I'll do if we're looking at Giroud as our lone striker come the end of August.

Also now Chelsea have Oscar, Hazard, Fabregas which is the best attacking midfield line in the league right now. There goes our trump card in one foul swoop.

That's the word "most" have, too many are not thinking straight.

Oscar isn't a world beater for me. Cesc is coming back of a average time at Barcelona, how do we know he come back the same player?. Hazard is great.

I'm worried will the transfers be up to what some on here want, a 50 million signing here and a top world class signing there. I think some of you are up for a disappointing summer if you are expecting Wenger to go out and buy world class talent from big clubs. Apart from Ozil has he ever done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Cesc at Chelsea way worse. Only sickened about RVP cause he was unreal. I love Cesc.

I think it might end in tears for him, he looks to be struggling a bit and he is the type of player that will only work well if he is playing 100% of games. The team needs to be built around him, which it won't be at Chelsea. I'm jst sour though.

Anyone saying we don't need him. History with Arsenal, always always always repeats itself. Naming out players like Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere...what do they all have in common? I wouldn't even bet on all of them being fit for one game ever. Arteta is pushing on, rosicky is gonna be a cup and impact player. We signed Kim Kallstrom half way through season with the excact same midfield. We could have done with him, if that isn't clear now, I gurantee it will be at some stage proably when chelsea are beating us 6 0
    Exactly signing kall last season was because we had injuries, what's to say it won't happen again, every season it happens.

Ah well at least Diaby will be back to plug Tim gap !

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Anyone who says we don't need one of the best midfielders in the world needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Most of us agree that we didn't need him.

The issue is Chelsea getting all their business done before the WC while we're just sitting idly by. This is the story every.single.year with us. Have we ever actually signed someone before July? Chelsea will have 2 months to prepare their team in the off season while we're scrambling around for scraps.

I don't know what I'll do if we're looking at Giroud as our lone striker come the end of August.

Also now Chelsea have Oscar, Hazard, Fabregas which is the best attacking midfield line in the league right now. There goes our trump card in one foul swoop.

Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla all spring to mind ;). It's a world cup year transfer can be a bit slow yea fair play to Chelsea getting business done early but in general things have been quiet.

Have United signed anyone yet? They need a bucket load of players Have City? Have Liverpool? etc...

Lets not go into meltdown because Chelsea have signed players and we haven't.

Don't want another repeat of last summer when everytime Spurs signed a player there was outrage :pac:, it's early days lets see what Arsenal do before we start surrendering the league to Chelsea and having meltdowns.

Lets focus on Arsenal fcuk what other clubs do to be honest.

Best attacking mids in the league ?

Maybe for a couple of games until they all get injured.

Doesn't take away we have the best attacking midfield. Not their fault they get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

For the people questioning why we didn't buy Cesc.. Its quite simple.
    We have other positions that actually need upgrading.

If we spent 30M on Cesc then i guarantee we wouldn't get a new Striker or DM.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So how do seasons work around the equator again? Do they have an actual summer and winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla all spring to mind ;). It's a world cup year transfer can be a bit slow yea fair play to Chelsea getting business done early but in general things have been quiet.

Have United signed anyone yet? They need a bucket load of players Have City? Have Liverpool? etc...

Lets not go into meltdown because Chelsea have signed players and we haven't.

Don't want another repeat of last summer when everytime Spurs signed a player there was outrage :pac:, it's early days lets see what Arsenal do before we start surrendering the league to Chelsea and having meltdowns.

Was Santi not signed during our pre season friendlies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So how do seasons work around the equator again? Do they have an actual summer and winter?

King Canute springs to mind :D

• Advertisement

Well said, let the other teams sign who they want, I have trust in Wenger that he will sign what's needed. Why do we give a damn who they sign, Cesc and Costa going to them don't mean they are unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ramsey is still the best midfielder in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Looper007 wrote: »
    Doesn't take away we have the best attacking midfield. Not their fault they get injured.

Ya but it does start to take away away from it when they can't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

kellso81 wrote: »
    Anyone who says we don't need one of the best midfielders in the world needs their head examined.

We could definitely do with him in the squad, but we don't need him

kellso81 wrote: »

If he was one of the best midfielders in the world why the **** did Barcelona let him go? He wasn't exactly give world class performances for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I get your disapointed but Cesc left the clubs years ago not today.

We are heading in the right direction and would have loved him back but I trust Arsene and the club if they decided against it, it makes sense why.

I would be more annoyed if we didnt strenghen but I am very confident we will and we will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ramsey is still the best midfielder in the league

Better than YaYa Toure?

Was Santi not signed during our pre season friendlies ?

Hmm wasn't sure about that one so could be wrong on Santi but Giroud and Podolski were wrapped up quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Liverpool signed Rickie Lambert and Emre Can.

Kirby wrote: »

I'd rather wait

Better than YaYa Toure?

Yep

• Advertisement

Just get over the fact Cesc ain't coming, you are hurt but he left us years ago. Get behind our team and look at who we have Ramsey probably one of the best midfielders in Europe last season, Ozil who's world class, Wilshire, Carzola and Ox who are great on their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Soups123 wrote: »
    I get your disapointed but Cesc left the clubs years ago not today.

We are heading in the right direction and would have loved him back but I trust Arsene and the club if they decided against it, it makes sense why.

I would be more annoyed if we didnt strenghen but I am very confident we will and we will be happy.

Nice words, I hope you're right. I'm off to wallow :(

Yep

Can you post me some of that stuff you're smoking please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Would people rather us to have bought Fabregas for 30 million and spend 200 grand a week wages on him when we have Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Oxlade Chamberlain, Rosicky, Wilshere. If that happened there is no way on earth we could fill in the other positions that needs to be strengthened, so basically if we had of signed him it would of been instead of a striker or defensive midfielder. We need to strengthen our team where it needs to be strengthened not go out and buy players for sentimental reasons :rolleyes:

Not exactly world beaters Kirby, but adds depth to Pool's squad.

In fairness they don't really count ;), there squad players and aren't going to scare teams.

I'm looking at Arsenal to sign players that will strengthen our first 11 not our bench.

I want signings that will push Arteta, Podolski, Cazorla and even possibly Giroud to the bench.

Better than YaYa Toure?

Not yet but he's getting there, plus he's younger. Ramsey will get better. I think this be YaYa's peak year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If he was one of the best midfielders in the world why the **** did Barcelona let him go? He wasn't exactly give world class performances for them.

Ok.. just so i can clear this bit up here and now.

Cesc was very good for Barca, his starts prove that.
    He was let go because it became clear early on that he wasn't that type of player that could replace Xavi.

As good as he was (Cesc) he just didn't suit the Barca tiki Taka system. Ask any Barca fan and they'll tell you that.

This will also be Barca's last transfer window before they're banned, so there trying to make as much money as possible to upgrade their team.

Better than YaYa Toure?
    Yep
    Can you post me some of that stuff you're smoking please.

Better is a subjective term. They are different. I think anybody who states conclusively one way or the other is being silly.

Ramsey impressed me no end last season. I had written him off at Arsenal. He went through a rather long awful spell and I was sure he wouldn't ever be good enough. But he showed how good he can be and if he had stayed fit, would have rivalled Suarez imo for player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

He had 42 goals and 48 assists in 151 games. He is world class and anyone who says otherwise doesn't watch a lot of spanish football. He was scapegoated by the nou camp crowd because they didn't win the league, when messi was injured he was outstanding playing in the no.10 role

• Advertisement

I want signings that will push Arteta, Podolski, Cazorla and even possibly Giroud to the bench.

I think for Giroud, Podolski and Arteta are a must we sign first team quality players. I want those three been in our back up squad.

Fabregas is an excellent player. Who seriously thinks he isn't? He had a few stinkers for Barca, that's true. But every player does and he was largely excellent.

I don't think they wanted to sell him and would have been happy to keep him. But he wanted out. He wanted to start every game and that wont happen at Barca atm.

You don't need him desperately as you have a good midfield but he would improve it, no doubt. The fact that you need other areas strengthened doesn't change that.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Ok.. just so i can clear this bit up here and now.

Cesc was very good for Barca, his starts prove that.
    He was let go because it became clear early on that he wasn't that type of player that could replace Xavi.

As good as he was (Cesc) he just didn't suit the Barca tiki Taka system. Ask any Barca fan and they'll tell you that.

This will also be Barca's last transfer window before they're banned, so there trying to make as much money as possible to upgrade their team.

You think he work under Jose's style? I certainly don't. That's why I'm nowhere near as upset as a lot of my fellow fan's are. Jose record with any skilful and creative players isn't great.

Better is a subjective term. They are different. I think anybody who states conclusively one way or the other is being silly.

Ramsey impressed me no end last season. I had written him off at Arsenal. He went through a rather long awful spell and I was sure he wouldn't ever be good enough. But he showed how good he can be and if he had stayed fit, would have rivalled Suarez imo for player of the year.

Ramsey is a very good player but YaYa is world class and could walk into any team he chooses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I will give Wenger the benefit of the doubt for now when he says we didn't need Cesc. If he fails to fill the gaps needed with actual quality then it is open season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I am in complete shock, I didnt see it coming just thought it wasnt even possible two extremely well balanced, well put and completely accurate posts and he is a Liverpool poster in and Arsenal thread :)

Ramsey is a very good player but YaYa is world class and could walk into any team he chooses.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Any pressing team wouldn't 100% be happy with him. He's brilliant, yes but hes lazy. He's overweight and defensively suspect.

No player is without their flaws. That is one of Toure's.
    Soups123 wrote: »
    I am in complete shock, I didnt see it coming just thought it wasnt even possible two extremely well balanced, well put and completely accurate posts and he is a Liverpool poster in and Arsenal thread :)

I argue more in there than I do anywhere else. They hate me in there. :p

Fabregas is an excellent player. Who seriously thinks he isn't? He had a few stinkers for Barca, that's true. But every player does and he was largely excellent.

I don't think they wanted to sell him and would have been happy to keep him. But he wanted out. He wanted to start every game and that wont happen at Barca atm.

You don't need him desperately as you have a good midfield but he would improve it, no doubt. The fact that you need other areas strengthened doesn't change that.

I won't deny he's a excellent player but I still don't buy into this myth that if we didn't sign him and Chelsea did we be screwed. We have Ozil, the fact's many of you like to throw out about Fabregas. Ozil's world class. Yet when it comes to Ozil you lot kie to take a knock, Ozil was one of the top assists for us last season. Just cause he had a few stinkers, many on here will slag him off.

For me we have excellent young talent in the midfield that are shaping up to be world class, Fabregas yes would have been nice but our money needs spending elsewhere.

I will give Wenger the benefit of the doubt for now when he says we didn't need Cesc. If he fails to fill the gaps needed with actual quality then it is open season.

wait Tayto not been negative :eek: that's a good sign.

• Advertisement

I think you under rating Ramsey to be honest. Not going to argue over who is better.

But Ramsey was world class last season had he not got injured was a shoe in for player of the season, can he sustain that from time will tell.

But on recent form he is world class and would easily get his game in any team in the EPL.

I won't deny he's a excellent player but I still don't buy into this myth that if we didn't sign him and Chelsea did we be screwed. We have Ozil, the fact's many of you like to throw out about Fabregas. Ozil's world class. Yet when it comes to Ozil you lot kie to take a knock, Ozil was one of the top assists for us last season. Just cause he had a few stinkers, many on here will slag him off.

For me we have excellent young talent in the midfield that are shaping up to be world class, Fabregas yes would have been nice but our money needs spending elsewhere.
    I think its more the fact that he's a former gooner. People assumed if he ever came back to the EPL, it would be with Arsenal. United and Chelsea both wanted him.....and he improves them a lot more than he would you. That's the issue.

Chelsea getting him and Costa is going to be a real turning point for them. They already had great defenders and wingers. Now they have it everywhere.

I think its more the fact that he's a former gooner. People assumed if he ever came back to the EPL, it would be with Arsenal. United and Chelsea both wanted him.....and he improves them a lot more than he would you. That's the issue.

Chelsea getting him and Costa is going to be a real turning point for them. They already had great defenders and wingers. Now they have it everywhere.

That's if they perform ;), Big Signings don't mean everything's going to be fine. I like us to stop worrying about other teams and who they sign and just worry about our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We would want some summer if we are gonna come ahead of Chelsea next year, cant see it.

True but can Jose get the best out of them, can Costa adapt to a new league and system, can Fabregas adapt to Mourinhos style.

He spent a lot last summer for them to finish in the exact same position as the season before.

Will PSG prize Hazard away.

A lot remains to be seen there are no forgone conclusions in football and for people to be saying may as well give Chelsea the league now is silly imo.

Lets see what happens yet a long summer ahead and a lot can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

My Chelsea prediction

Costa to get more yellow cards than goals

Fabregas dropped in October and sold to United in January for not tracking back enough

You heard it here first ;)

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    We would want some summer if we are gonna come ahead of Chelsea next year, cant see it.

Atletico Madrid showed you don't need to splash millions to beat the high spending teams. They won the La Liga and got to the champions league final.

Stop been negative we ain't anywhere near the start of the season and you are writing us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I can see both sides of the argument, both that we don’t need cesc, that other areas are more pressing, and the fact that we’re mad to have turned down a world class player, for Fellaini money.
    But I think the argument that if we’d bought cesc we couldn’t afford to strengthen other areas is not correct.
    We got 90 million from the PL last season. Champs league money is substantial. And new deals with Emirates and Puma filling the coffers.
    We can afford a couple of 30m players.

I’m sad that we’ve let him go to Chelsea, I’m sad he’s chosen to go there – although 200k odd a week is a compelling argument for him.

I’m also sad to say that I will be having an absolute meltdown unless we improve the squad like we need to this summer.

True but can Jose get the best out of them, can Costa adapt to a new league and system, can Fabregas adapt to Mourinhos style..

That remains to be seen. But if they don't win the league then it is purely Mourinho's fault. They have the best squad, he's had time. There cant be any excuses.

He spent a lot last summer for them to finish in the exact same position as the season before..

He didn't really. Signings like Eto'o are stop gaps. It was his first season back in charge. In the same way that Rodgers needed a year, I think the same of any Manager. Any instant impact wont last. It takes a while to train players and it takes a while to get in the personel you need.

Not a chance. 0%. A mate of mine was convinced Hazard would be moving on because of that little nothing spat between him and Mourinho at the end of last season.....but there is zero chance of Chelsea letting him go. It would akin to Liverpool selling Suarez or Spurs selling Bale. Suicide. He's their most talented player and they will say he's going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have to admire Chelsea for getting their business done nice and early. They can slot all the players into mid-summer games and be prepared for the start of the league.
    I can see us sitting biting our nails as usual during the last half-hour of the window hoping for news of a signing. Why break old habits. Its in our DNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

True but can Jose get the best out of them, can Costa adapt to a new league and system, can Fabregas adapt to Mourinhos style.

He spent a lot last summer for them to finish in the exact same position as the season before.

A lot remains to be seen there are no forgone conclusions in football and for people to be saying may as well give Chelsea the league now is silly imo.

Lets see what happens yet a long summer ahead and a lot can happen.

Hazard has said no and new deal is apparently on the table, and hes been handed the number 10 jersey next season. Hes going nowhere right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement