Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If it was this summer or last and we had a choice between Cesc and Ozil I would have went Ozil and still would. Be great to have them both but Ox and Ramsey are on the edge of being pure quality, we have Wilshire and Cazorla in behind that and with the addition of a DM we are just so covered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Have to admire Chelsea for getting their business done nice and early. They can slot all the players into mid-summer games and be prepared for the start of the league.
    I can see us sitting biting our nails as usual during the last half-hour of the window hoping for news of a signing. Why break old habits. Its in our DNA.

There's that negativity again from old man Tayto :pac:

I'm worried about how long we will have to wait for Transfers too and will they live up what people on here want. That's my big worry.

I fully expect Wenger to buy, he can't be that blind and leave it to the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Kirby wrote: »
    That remains to be seen. But if they don't win the league then it is purely Mourinho's fault. They have the best squad, he's had time. There cant be any excuses.

He didn't really. Signings like Eto'o are stop gaps. It was his first season back in charge. In the same way that Rodgers needed a year, I think the same of any Manager. Any instant impact wont last. It takes a while to train players and it takes a while to get in the personel you need.

Not a chance. 0%. A mate of mine was convinced Hazard would be moving on because of that little nothing spat between him and Mourinho at the end of last season.....but there is zero chance of Chelsea letting him go. It would akin to Liverpool selling Suarez or Spurs selling Bale. Suicide. He's their most talented player and they will say he's going nowhere.

True it will be Mourinhos fault but there are no forgone conclusions in football they have a fantastic squad but so do many and don't win the league people should never concede so easily :).

Yea Eto was a stop gap but hate the idea lots have of Mourinho spending fcuk all regardless of what he sold he brought in players to the tune of 110 million last season that's a lot of expenditure.

Not saying Hazard will but PSG do seem to be sniffing around and in football you can never say never, who would have though we would have signed Ozil last summer :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Soups123 wrote: »
    If it was this summer or last and we had a choice between Cesc and Ozil I would have went Ozil and still would. Be great to have them both but Ox and Ramsey are on the edge of being pure quality, we have Wilshire and Cazorla in behind that and with the addition of a DM we are just so covered there.

We also need a striker, RB and someone to play CB if we have injuries. Would like a LW too. We will not get them all though. Sorry to see Cesc at Chelsea but if we cover what we need then i'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I really sick with that tbh. My favourite player of the last few years, of course I hated when he left but the fact he went overseas meant he wouldnt be playing against us which softened the blow. But he obviously wanted back to London and he made it clear that Arsenal didnt want him back so for that I can understand going to Chelsea (in a way)

Even though a good few disagree I still think we should have bought him back and I hope it doesnt come back to bite us. Yes we may have Ozil, Ramsey, ox etc but I still maintain that we're a wreck when it comes to crucial players getting injured at crucial times. We have little or no squad dept and a couple of players on their last legs, another top quality midfielder wouldnt go amiss and for the fee involved, i think its a very reasonable price.

I hope, I sincerly hope that Wenger has seen the error of his ways when it comes to transfer dealing, he cant avoid the obvious problems in our squad any longer, a new striker is desperately needed as is a dm and rb.
    Thats the only thing consoling me tbh, if Wenger has passed on taking back Fab then he must have something much better up his sleeve, on past evidence I doubt it but sure fcuk it, we live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

So Mister DNA goes to play for Chelsea and Mourinho the sworn enemy of Barcelona :pac:, says it all about modern day football.

Bit of a kick in the gut to see him in a Chelsea jersey but meh really about the whole thing said all along didn't need him and it would be a silly transfer for Arsenal to make glad to see Wenger didn't let sentimental value cloud his judgement and turned him down.

The only thing it will do in the eyes of the fans and media is ramp up the pressure on Arsenal to make the signings we need in the areas we need.

But you also get the feeling no matter who we sign some sections won't be satisfied.
    Maybe he's just trying to promote the fact that there's no need for hatred and bitterness in football :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I can't see us signing a dm.

Flamini signed a 3 year contract, diaby, Wenger shows unbelievable faith in and arteta is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

I started a new job today, felt so good about everything, saw this news on the bus home and it undid everything :(

Think I'll be listening to this on repeat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZRCIrTgQc

'Cos everybody huuuuuurrrrrtttttssss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm very disappointed with this. I don't get the shock of some people here, it's been in reputable papers for over a week. Personally, I'd have taken him. I think he is better than what we have, has done it in the PL and as usual we will get injuries and need quality players. I despise everything about them, but Chelsea have gone out and signed two quality players before a ball has been kicked in Brazil. All the goodwill towards AW will evaporate if significant investment isn't made. And I don't mean Carlos ****ing Vela for 4m.. I really hope we don't have a scramble come August with saloman kalou as our star striker

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't see us signing a dm.

Flamini signed a 3 year contract, diaby, Wenger shows unbelievable faith in and arteta is staying.

Has Diaby ever played as a DM when fit? He's more a box to box/AM in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We also need a striker, RB and someone to play CB if we have injuries. Would like a LW too. We will not get them all though. Sorry to see Cesc at Chelsea but if we cover what we need then i'm happy.

Yep I agree I was just concentrating on the middle, I'm trying to keep the melt down at bay........

I'm very disappointed with this. I don't get the shock of some people here, it's been in reputable papers for over a week. Personally, I'd have taken him. I think he is better than what we have, has done it in the PL and as usual we will get injuries and need quality players. I despise everything about them, but Chelsea have gone out and signed two quality players before a ball has been kicked in Brazil. All the goodwill towards AW will evaporate if significant investment isn't made. And I don't mean Carlos ****ing Vela for 4m.. I really hope we don't have a scramble come August with saloman kalou as our star striker

You have some faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well Cesc you're just another Chelsea W***er now.

Gonna be hard listening to them singing our Cesc songs.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Well Cesc you're just another Chelsea W***er now.

Gonna be hard listening to them singing our Cesc songs.

Who gives a damn. He's been gone 3 years already, it's not like he's left us to join them. Yeah it sucks but life goes on.

Ramsey is still the best midfielder in the league
    That's nice.
    Whether or not he stays fit this season will dictate that(hope he does)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Looper007 wrote: »
    Who gives a damn. He's been gone 3 years already, it's not like he's left us to join them. Yeah it sucks but life goes on.

this^

You think he work under Jose's style? I certainly don't. That's why I'm nowhere near as upset as a lot of my fellow fan's are. Jose record with any skilful and creative players isn't great.
    Deco, Robben, J.Cole, Sneijder, Ozil all did extremely well in National and/or European competition
    Still think that Fab will flop though.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Deco, Robben, J.Cole, Sneijder, Ozil all did extremely well in National and/or European competition
    Still think that Fab will flop though.

He didn't buy Cole or Sneijder. Did he buy Ozil?
    He has a strange distaste for skilful players does the chosen one. I think Cesc will suffer under Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

The meltdown in here is ridiculous. We weren't in for Cesc so we can have no complaints about him signing for Chelsea. It would have been different if he rejected us for Chelsea which he didn't.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    My Chelsea prediction

Costa to get more yellow cards than goals

Fabregas dropped in October and sold to United in January for not tracking back enough

You heard it here first ;)
    Juuuust keep telling yourself that as you rock back and forth on the those long sleepless nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bugger :(

shano_88 wrote: »
    The meltdown in here is ridiculous. We weren't in for Cesc so we can have no complaints about him signing for Chelsea. It would have been different if he rejected us for Chelsea which he didn't.

To be fair it's a small tiny group, a lot of common sense has been written.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Whatever about Fabregas being an old Arsenal player, this seems to me simply bad business.

The difference between ourselves and the likes of Chelsea and Man City was seen time and time again in games this season - injuries having us look at the bench and worry if things need a shake-up. I have the greatest of faith in the Ox, and think Gnabry looks a massive prospect, but to play (and win) at this level the backups need to be on-par with the First XI.

Yes our Midfield is crowded, but then do what the other teams do and replace those who are putting in deteoriating performances. Arteta for Fabregas? Diaby for Fabregas? Flamini for Fabregas? They all have different qualities, but when that opportunity presents itself, for a very good price (see David Luiz at 50m!) we should be snatching it. Why aren't we in for players who Chelsea consider good enough? We should be believing that if we had offloaded one of our more "defensive minded" midfielders for Fab, there would have been follow up business to fill the DM place (which we are all hoping for anyway).

The sting here is in Arsene's own words that has been trotted out by many since this was confirmed: "If a player of good quality is available at a good price.." etc, we would be in. This is a great player. A decent price. I think this is what has most fans perplexed at the decision.

The early business by Chelsea also adds weight to the injury, Costa in as well for the reported 30m region, although it seemed that had been secured sometime late in the season. But therein lies another point - Lewandowski, Costa; Players snapped up before the season's even over. How can our business be so much more convoluted than everyone else's? What sort of hieroglyphics are we writing our bids in that it takes so long to decipher?!

I think I still trust Arsene... I have for so long now that I want to make sense of his decisions. If we are making space for the youngin's to flourish fine.. if we are saving money for a Right-Defensive-Mid-Scoresalot mutant that Arsene has under wraps then fantastic. But I was on the fence until Ozil last year, I dont think I can take another late window splurge.

Sorry for the rant, first time poster and long time lurker. Definitely the best percentage of level-headed fans per capita on an Arsenal forum Ive read! I await the complete destruction of my argument.

Up the Arse!

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Whatever about Fabregas being an old Arsenal player, this seems to me simply bad business.

The difference between ourselves and the likes of Chelsea and Man City was seen time and time again in games this season - injuries having us look at the bench and worry if things need a shake-up. I have the greatest of faith in the Ox, and think Gnabry looks a massive prospect, but to play (and win) at this level the backups need to be on-par with the First XI.

Yes our Midfield is crowded, but then do what the other teams do and replace those who are putting in deteoriating performances. Arteta for Fabregas? Diaby for Fabregas? Flamini for Fabregas?

Problem is you can't replace Fabregas with defensive mids. The only players Fabregas would replace are Ozil and Cazorla.. Which imo don't need replacing.

The club passing on Cesc was the right move IF they've other players in mind.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Problem is you can't replace Fabregas with defensive mids. The only players Fabregas would replace are Ozil and Cazorla.. Which imo don't need replacing.

But people are calling for santi to be replaced by wanting a winger. He won't be playing central, that's ozil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Exactly the only two players Fabregas can replace in our starting 11 are Ozil or Ramsey, and for me those two are undroppable.
    While he may not have had the greatest of seasons just gone, Ozil can and probably will be the star of the show for us next year.

And as long as they are intent on competing to win the EPL and not just happy with fourth place.

And as long as they are intent on competing to win the EPL and not just happy with fourth place.

That's a noodle scratcher!
    If we are intent on only competing for fourth place then not signing him would make sense!

But I get what you're saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He has a strange distaste for skilful players does the chosen one.

He really doesn't. He has a problem with lazy players.

Or perhaps, lazy is the wrong word. He wants his skilful players to work as hard off the ball as everyone else. In a lot of teams, the skilful ones are allowed to do what they want. They don't have to track back. It's a common attitude. The Berba/totti attitude.

There is nothing unskilful about Willian. Mata was sold because Willian works damned hard and Mourinho thinks the team is better with him in it.

I agree with not dropping Ozil and Ramsey, and exactly - that passing on Cesc HAS to mean something in waiting - but Id love to once again be the team with some world beaters on the bench as well as on the pitch. Do we think Cesc is going to get his game every week at Chelsea? He must know he has a tonne of competition based on whichever style they decide to play on their given day. They have some great attacking midfielders and some great holding midfielders - I see Cesc as pretty good at both, but where does that leave him at Chelsea?

• Advertisement

But people are calling for santi to be replaced by wanting a winger. He won't be playing central, that's ozil.

Exactly dropping Cazorla to the bench as back up for Ozil and bringing in a LW gives is strength in depth and makes more sense.

That's a noodle scratcher!
    If we are intent on only competing for fourth place then not signing him would make sense!

But I get what you're saying!

Yes. Like not signing a striker in January.

Yes. Like not signing a striker in January.

Ah no it's just the wording that confused me, understood what you were saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would be nice to be proactive in the market but that's just not us I guess. Kudos to Chelsea for moving quick and signing the world class players that according to some posters in here simply aren't available.

Make £5m on Cesc, spend £4m on Vela and we're still in profit. Its how we do it.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Would be nice to be proactive in the market but that's just not us I guess. Kudos to Chelsea for moving quick and signing the world class players that according to some posters in here simply aren't available.

Make £5m on Cesc, spend £4m on Vela and we're still in profit. Its how we do it.

If Vela wasn't an ex player with a cheap buy back clause.

I guarantee a lot of people would be creaming themselves at the possibility of him arriving given his stats and the season he just had.

keano_afc wrote: »

Apparently we don't need world class players because Wenger will buy what is needed for the team.

Just pop into the Chelsea thread and see their expressions to understand what signing a world class player means.

If Vela wasn't an ex player with a cheap buy back clause.

I guarantee a lot of people would be creaming themselves at the possibility of him arriving given his stats and the season he just had.

Very true.
    He got more Goals and had the same amount of assists as Bale.

Very true.

Sign him up!

Apparently we don't need world class players because Wenger will buy what is needed for the team.

Just pop into the Chelsea thread and see their expressions to understand what signing a world class player means.

Sure we've enough players in that position...
    Oh how our attitude has changed in a few short months

Very true.

Vela for Bendtner? Any Day - simple as! It obviously cannot be our "signing of the summer" but at the reported 4m, its better than Rickie Lambert.

• Advertisement

Speaking of vela, why doesn't he want to play for Mexico in the world cup?

Fallen out with the Mexican fa or something along those lines

Had a falling out with the whole coaches and managers and FA.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Fallen out with the Mexican fa or something along those lines

I see, cheers.

Was looking forward to watching him ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I couldn't give a toss Fabregas as an ex-Arsenal player went to Chelsea. What I do give a toss about is the quality Chelsea are signing up with seemingly relative ease and for money that is within our range. Wenger and co. better know what they are at and not mess up this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I really don't see the need for our fans don't give him a hard time. Wenger had to opportunity to sign him but didn't, thats out of cescs control. Ide imagine the only reason he accepted Chelsea's transfer offer over other teams is because of his family in London. I don't look at him as a traitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I really don't see the need for our fans don't give him a hard time. Wenger had to opportunity to sign him but didn't, thats out of cescs control. Ide imagine the only reason he accepted Chelsea's transfer offer over other teams is because of his family in London. I don't look at him as a traitor.

Apart from him doing EVERYTHING in his power to leave us to go to Barcelona including going on strike. I couldn't give a toss that it was to his home club, showed complete disrespect to Arsenal - even van Persie and Nasri had the decency to finish the season, and in Nasri's case start the next one for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

c4a25109904ad4b0720b66fdb21ced860df82f1c7c5b7687cf1fe9c32088eeba_large

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is Sagna gone to City?

• Advertisement

Is Sagna gone to City?

Ah ffs, could they not wait until tomorrow, cesc is enough for one day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement