Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I thought we moved to the Emirates so we could compete with the big boys and bring world class players to the club?

We can't compete with city and Chelsea simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I thought we moved to the Emirates so we could compete with the big boys and bring world class players to the club?

I would have like Cesc but he really isn't what we need. Before we can get pissed we need to see who Wenger signs he has to have something because this would have been an easy crowd pleaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

We can't compete with city and Chelsea simple as that

It just seems like the same old story.

Can only buy certain players because of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I don't I have him blocked - only getting his tweets via RTs of others. Anyway, my point is he uses every available opportunity to have a go at Wenger, surely this is a big one to go after him with if he wanted too?

This is the same man who tapped up phones, lied and cheated his way where he is today, he's courts controversy, he gets involved in needless pointless twitter spats all the time just to put himself out there.
    Its embarrassing that he is a "supporter" of our great club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Fabregas going to Chelsea is like that girl you really liked that got with another guy. Chelsea's a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It just seems like the same old story.

Can only buy certain players because of money.

But it's real, it's true we don't have a sugar daddy we can sign players but we are not bank rolled like City and Chelsea that's just a fact. We can sign some of the players not all of the players like they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Soups123 wrote: »
    True but who the fcuk would listen he's a grade A bell end and the world knows it

Normally I would dismiss him but maybe there is something to it?

Did Fabregas make any noises at all about coming back to Arsenal? Did he try and really push for it? Or, did he have mad wage demands knowing Wenger and co would never go for it so he wouldn't have to come back to Arsenal because he seems since he left he doesn't give 2 sh1ts about the club?

Don't know why everyone thinks Fabregas is this lovely little boy whose DNA was at him and now that DNA A didn't work he'll come back to DNA B? He could have massively hinted he didn't really want back at Arsenal.

He's a fantastic player but I don't get the love in with him. He walked out on us, why would anyone think he'd come back and try 100% for us?

Did Fabregas make any noises at all about coming back to Arsenal? Did he try and really push for it? Or, did he have mad wage demands knowing Wenger and co would never go for it so he wouldn't have to come back to Arsenal because he seems since he left he doesn't give 2 sh1ts about the club?

Don't know why everyone thinks Fabregas is this lovely little boy whose DNA was at him and now that DNA A didn't work he'll come back to DNA B? He could have massively hinted he didn't really want back at Arsenal.

He's a fantastic player but I don't get the love in with him. He walked out on us, why would anyone think he'd come back and try 100% for us?

I think he wanted to come back but wenger just didnt want him. His partner and child apparently live in London so its logical he wanted to go there. He said that Arsenal didnt activate his buyback clause, Why would he say that unless it was something he had thought about or looked into?
    I dunno, you seem to know more about it than I do

All I know is it would take me a while to warm to
    him if I was a Chelsea fan after basically saying they were second best:)

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think he wanted to come back but wenger just didnt want him. His partner and child apparently live in London so its logical he wanted to go there. He said that Arsenal didnt activate his buyback clause, Why would he say that unless it was something he had thought about?
    I dunno, you seem to know more about it than I do

I'm only speculating - honestly haven't a clue.

I'll hardly shock anyone here with this statement but I've not had time for him ever since he didn't even show up to support his Arsenal teammates because he was "injured" and he went to a Grand Prix instead. He pushed so hard to leave Arsenal and I didn't see a whole load of effort to get back in to be honest.

Maybe I'm a bitter old woman at 28 :mad: :o

Mate of mine is a Chelsea fan and he just told me that he is not the most popular of signings as a person but they do realize they have bought a hell of a player so there won't be any of that Rafa treatment for him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm only speculating - honestly haven't a clue.

I'll hardly shock anyone here with this statement but I've not had time for him ever since he didn't even show up to support his Arsenal teammates because he was "injured" and he went to a Grand Prix instead. He pushed so hard to leave Arsenal and I didn't see a whole load of effort to get back in to be honest.

Maybe I'm a bitter old woman at 28 :mad: :o

Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned for Barca :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned for Barca :pac:

I used to write for Bleacher Report a few years back - this was my profile picture Cesc-Instagram.jpg

The prick!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

AdamD wrote: »
    Cesc at Arsenal or Cesc at Chelsea, that's what we're arguing about. Even as a squad player here hes more use than helping Chelsea win the league.

Its alright to have a strong squad you know.

The fact of the matter is if we bought Fabregas we would be sacrificing strengthening a part of our team that is weak. Were not run by a sugar daddy where money is no object the way it is at Chelsea. We cant afford to pay wages the way they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

all gonna come down to who we sign. if the positions arent addressed with fabregas like talent, its a joke but hopefully they get it done.

• Advertisement

Ozil is going to shine next season, just ye all wait and see.

You men lack my female intuition and my ovaries are all over Ozil shining next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is if we bought Fabregas we would be sacrificing strengthening a part of our team that is weak. Were not run by a sugar daddy where money is no object the way it is at Chelsea. We cant afford to pay wages the way they can.

That's if you're of the belief money will actually be spent elsewhere, past experiences lead me to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

AdamD wrote: »
    That's if you're of the belief money will actually be spent elsewhere, past experiences lead me to believe otherwise.

It has to be spent. There is no way on earth that we wont bring in at least 2-3 real quality players who can not only strengthen the squad but strengthen our starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Fabregas said today Arsenal didn't want him back.

Gazidis pretty much said a couple of weeks ago we couldn't afford Fabreagas plus our other targets.

Fabregas said today Arsenal didn't want him back.

Gazidis pretty much said a couple of weeks ago we couldn't afford Fabreagas plus our other targets.

As long as we get top quality targets from Gazidis and co it'll be grand. But they better come before the last hour of the transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its like this car advert from Aston Martin, even if it is a fake

1a.jpg

:P

Ive enough said on Cesc so this will be my last post on it.

When all is said and done, I forgive him for going back to Barca, and by christ do I hate them, but my take on it is that he wanted to go back to his childhood club, didnt handle the departure very well but thats life.
    I firmly believe, rightly or wrongly that he would have came back to us now if Wenger had agreed to it and Arsenal were his first choice, but if he wanted to be in London to be with his family then so be it, even if I also dislike Chelsea and Mourinho

Lets hope Wenger proves the doubters wrong and pulls off a masterclass in the transfer window and we dont regret leaving Fab go to a direct rival

Lastly, any guy who throws a slice of pizza at Alex Ferguson's big stupid head will always be a firm favourite of mine (I also dislike Fergie incase ye didnt realise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wenger needs something big now. Weather or not we needed Fabregas is unimportant. At the end of the day we handed a title rival a world class player who will improve them big time. All we had to do was say yes and he was ours.

Chelsea and City are pulling even further away now, we will be left well behind next season.

Cesc will be class under Mourinho and Costa will be a huge improvement over what they have now, City will improve alot too.

Going to be a battle for 4th again, let's not forget Chelsea hammered us 6-0 only a while back.

I find the confidence some of ye have in the team commendable Arteta, Rosicky, Cazorla, Diaby, and Flamini are hardly in the prime of their youth, all are well past there best.

Wilshire is incredibly average player as well, wouldn't mind seeing him gone in a year or two if he doesn't prove himself.

That leaves us Ozil and Ramsey.

Wenger has missed a trick with Cesc.

Barca and arsenal both passed on cesc

That's good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Barca and arsenal both passed on cesc

That's good enough for me

Maybe we can get Kallstrom on a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gutted he's gone to Chelsea tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Chelsea and City are pulling even further away now, we will be left well behind next season.

Cesc will be class under Mourinho and Costa will be a huge improvement over what they have now, City will improve alot too.

Going to be a battle for 4th again, let's not forget Chelsea hammered us 6-0 only a while back.

I find the confidence some of ye have in the team commendable Arteta, Rosicky, Cazorla, Diaby, and Flamini are hardly in the prime of their youth, all are well past there best.

Wilshire is incredibly average player as well, wouldn't mind seeing him gone in a year or two if he doesn't prove himself.

That leaves us Ozil and Ramsey.

Wenger has missed a trick with Cesc.

It's not hard to pull away when your wallet is the size of Mary Poppins handbag. Seriously, even if we had wanted Cesc, Chelsea are just going to double any wages we offer him and I'm positive his blue DNA would suddenly kick in.

What most people in here are saying isn't all that different from you, despite how you portray it. One of our weakest positions i.e. Arteta/Flamini, needs to be addressed. However, the reality of the situation is if we sign Cesc for 30M, we then have less to spend in another area. At the very least we need a top quality striker and DMF. Subtracting 30M will either mean we get either only one of those top players or two players of reduced quality.

As for Wishere, give him an extended injury free run in the team and I would expect him to improve again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

farna_boy wrote: »
    As for Wishere, give him an extended injury free run in the team and I would expect him to improve again next year.

where though?
    heard it brought up on a podcast some months back, what is wilsheres' role at arsenal now, is he going to oust ramsey or ozil? unlikely i think, he's also susceptible to injury.
    he might improve but i don't know if he'll every become the player some think he will, though i said ramsey should be put down before so what do i know (in my defence he was unbelievably bad then :pac:)

on cesc, meh. would've been worse if the club wanted to sign him & he rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

batistuta9 wrote: »
    where though?
    heard it brought up on a podcast some months back, what is wilsheres' role at arsenal now, is he going to oust ramsey or ozil? unlikely i think, he's also susceptible to injury.
    he might improve but i don't know if he'll every become the player some think he will, though i said ramsey should be put down before so what do i know (in my defence he was unbelievably bad then :pac:)
    We play roughly 50 games a season (sometimes close to 60). You really dont think he can fit in ANYWHERE in all those games?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 sillyrules

Yis can have him back on loan when he is crap.

#WengerIn

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We play roughly 50 games a season (sometimes close to 60). You really dont think he can fit in ANYWHERE in all those games?

i didn't say that at all.

farna_boy said wilshere would improve with "an extended injury free run in the team", which he most likely would. Though I'm asking what position is he going to get that run in + his injury record, for being able to sustain a lengthy run

i don't think he'd get it if ozil and ramsey are fit. Do you?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i didn't say that at all.

farna_boy said wilshere would improve with "an extended injury free run in the team", which he most likely would. Though I'm asking what position is he going to get that run in + his injury record, for being able to sustain a lengthy run

i don't think he'd get it if ozil and ramsey are fit. Do you?

I think we will eventually play Ramsey/wilshere

None playing an out and out DM they will cover the role between them

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ive enough said on Cesc so this will be my last post on it.

When all is said and done, I forgive him for going back to Barca, and by christ do I hate them, but my take on it is that he wanted to go back to his childhood club, didnt handle the departure very well but thats life.
    I firmly believe, rightly or wrongly that he would have came back to us now if Wenger had agreed to it and Arsenal were his first choice, but if he wanted to be in London to be with his family then so be it, even if I also dislike Chelsea and Mourinho

Lets hope Wenger proves the doubters wrong and pulls off a masterclass in the transfer window and we dont regret leaving Fab go to a direct rival

Lastly, any guy who throws a slice of pizza at Alex Ferguson's big stupid head will always be a firm favourite of mine (I also dislike Fergie incase ye didnt realise)

+1

We desperately need a good striker and an quality energetic DMF. those are our priorities. After that we need a couple of pacy wingers. We need pace in our team not cesc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Ozil is going to shine next season, just ye all wait and see.

You men lack my female intuition and my ovaries are all over Ozil shining next season.

Maire - fully agree with you (with or without ovarial intuition!).

I firmly believe that our MO-OZIL will have the season of his career next year - he will be that Bergkampian revolutionary that we all salivated over, when his signing was announced last year. He WILL prove all you doubters wrong. I am confident that there will be a Giant Eye statue outside the Emirates in 10 to 15 years.

Just watch him in this world cup. I have a massive amount of faith in him. With the right forward signing he will shine for us!

With Ramsey continuing his remarkable development, we will have the best midfield in the league and one of the best in Europe.

Who disagrees?

Yes, it's sad to see Cesc going to Chel$$ki but like others have said on here - would you not have done the same? I'm sure he wanted to come to Arsenal but was left with no choice after we didn't activate our buy-back clause. A man needs to be with his girl and kid - that's the end of it.

Frankly, I don't think he'll do very well there.

Lastly, (some may find this amusing), but I think if Diaby can stay fit next season, I suspect we'll see a good deal of him - Wenger loves him. We all know that when he's fully fit, he's a stunning player. Come on Abou - you owe it to yourself!

COYG and happy Friday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

After a good night's sleep I'm more relaxed about the transfer window, time to enjoy the world cup and check out some of our potential targets.

Ah sure it's done now time to move on.

But I can't help but laugh at how Jose wouldn't even let Demba ****en ba join us!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I want one of those Aston Martins ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's this simple.

Suarez has a 70 million release clause.

I can't see the problem.

In terms of improving our team he's alongside Ronaldo and Messi only.

Just do it

gosplan wrote: »
    It's this simple.

I can't see the problem.

Just do it

the problem is arsenal won't/can't spend that.
    the sooner you realise & come to terms with it the better :pac:

expect them to spend about about 60mil net max

edit: they probably could do it if they really wanted but that'd be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

When you think about the players who bringing in Cesc would hamper it think it was the smart move as long as we buy elsewhere.
    Ozil, Ramsey and Chamberlain (Will play down the middle in the future) and hopefully Wilshere (injury free) are all only going to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its only a smart move to pass on him IF we strengthen in the necessary areas. Having seen how the last 3 windows went (and money was not an issue, we had plenty of it) is anyone genuinely confident of us doing the needful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its only a smart move to pass on him IF we strengthen in the necessary areas. Having seen how the last 3 windows went (and money was not an issue, we had plenty of it) is anyone genuinely confident of us doing the needful?

I think we will buy one 30+ million player.
    I'm guessing we will also buy another German or Real Madrid player or both. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

it's important he goes out and buy the right players and buy that one big signing that makes everyone happy. once that happens the cesc thing will be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Looper007 wrote: »
    it's important he goes out and buy the right players and buy that one big signing that makes everyone happy. once that happens the cesc thing will be forgotten.

every club needs at least one of those a season, mark of intent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes !! It's going to happen this season - the 42 million spent on Ozil was a statement of intent and I imagine they'll be at least one if not more big purchase this Summer.

With Fabregas, at least we're not selling one of our best players to a rival. He's not our player anymore and Barca can sell him to who they want to. People mentioning Kallstrom need to get a grip too. He didn't cost 30 million nor 160k + a week in wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    Yes !! It's going to happen this season - the 42 million spent on Ozil was a statement of intent and I imagine they'll be at least one if not more big purchase this Summer.

With Fabregas, at least we're not selling one of our best players to a rival. He's not our player anymore and Barca can sell him to who they want to. People mentioning Kallstrom need to get a grip too. He didn't cost 30 million nor 160k + a week in wages.

What do you put down as the reason for such a botched window in January then? Business was desperately required and they sat on their hands. Money was there then just as it is now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gosplan wrote: »
    It's this simple.

I can't see the problem.

Just do it

Thought the release clause was 120m for clubs in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What do you put down as the reason for such a botched window in January then? Business was desperately required and they sat on their hands. Money was there then just as it is now.

I don't believe for one moment they sat on their hands. There were all sorts of rumours flying around of players we were trying to get in January.

It's going to happen because it has to happen. there is a momentum behind the team at at the moment and it just needs the right players to come in to make us serious contenders again. Wenger is aware of that more than you or me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

sillyrules wrote: »
    Yis can have him back on loan when he is crap.

#WengerIn

How was your first post in the Soccer forum? Thought you needed 50 + approval?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How was your first post in the Soccer forum? Thought you needed 50 + approval?!

They've lifted that restriction for the world cup...Trolls are coming

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement