Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    I don't believe for one moment they sat on their hands. There were all sorts of rumours flying around of players we were trying to get in January.

It's going to happen because it has to happen. there is a momentum behind the team at at the moment and it just needs the right players to come in to make us serious contenders again. Wenger is aware of that more than you or me.

It HAD to happen in January and didnt. We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe the January window and the window last summer were embarrassingly mismanaged by the club, and Wenger in particular. I am genuinely fearful of that happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

keano_afc wrote: »
    It HAD to happen in January and didnt. We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe the January window and the window last summer were embarrassingly mismanaged by the club, and Wenger in particular. I am genuinely fearful of that happening again.

January is a tough time to get the right player and Wenger is loath to bring in stop gaps. did any genuine World Class players move in January? Last Summer was a mess but it wasn't all Arsenal's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I want one of those Aston Martins ;)

Hot model or the Aston......

Simple choice really, Aston. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hot model or the Aston......

Simple choice really, Aston. :D

You can always get another hot model when you have an Aston ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

Wenger better make the right signings, if every one of us can see where we need new additions I'm sure he can. I finally got to post :D . But that fabregas picture, it hurts. But I'll get over it. We have all endured a lot more pain than this in previous years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Balotelli, Bender/Schneiderlinn, Aurier.

Shouldn't cost more than 60m pounds for the three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

rumours are that we've seriously cooled our interest in Aurier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

bad2dabone wrote: »
    rumours are that we've seriously cooled our interest in Aurier.

In Arsenal speak that means he is looking more likely to arrive. :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have to wonder if Aurier wasn't just all agent talk. If any of our transfers should have been wrapped up within a matter of days of first hearing about it it should have been that one.

I have a feeling that Griezmann is a target and Vela will be used as the crowbar to prise him from Sociedad. Then again if he has a good world cup with France we could be fecked!

Aurier was never going to happen once he said he wanted to play for us, the kiss of death for any potential signings :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

Once again we get mugged off and are a laughing stock. Sagna to City and Fabregas to Chelsea on the same day, Wengers out done himself once again. The sooner he ****s off the better, we'll never challenge for the Champions League or Premier League again under him. And yet he finds new ways to mug the fans off every year. Wenger would sell Wilshere/Ramsey to Chelsea if they put in enough money and his fanboys would praise the transfer and abuse the players.

Wengers on very thin ice with the fans that much is clear most on Twitter and forums want him out. Scraping an FA Cup over Hull and Wigan was enjoyable but seeing as he blatantly mocked the competition for several years as did his fans calling it worthless a bit hypocritical to think it changes much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

This place is going to be cruel until they put in the restrictions again

Sagna is a sad one to see go. I wish we kept him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Once again we get mugged off and are a laughing stock. Sagna to City and Fabregas to Chelsea on the same day, Wengers out done himself once again. The sooner he ****s off the better, we'll never challenge for the Champions League or Premier League again under him. And yet he finds new ways to mug the fans off every year. Wenger would sell Wilshere/Ramsey to Chelsea if they put in enough money and his fanboys would praise the transfer and abuse the players.

Wengers on very thin ice with the fans that much is clear most on Twitter and forums want him out. Scraping an FA Cup over Hull and Wigan was enjoyable but seeing as he blatantly mocked the competition for several years as did his fans calling it worthless a bit hypocritical to think it changes much.

So much fail. I think we would all be happier if you just f*cked off to be honest.

farna_boy wrote: »
    So much fail. I think we would all be happier if you just f*cked off to be honest.

Yeah nice, from reading your posts worshipping Wenger its you who needs to do that. The club is called Arsenal FC not Arsene FC. The likes of you need to realise. And nice manners pal. But go ahead continue your circle jerk over Wenger, its never his fault.

TBH Sagna is the one I am angrier about if the rumours are true that only a small amount more on wages would have kept him at Arsenal. Then again we don't know if that's the gospel truth.

Cesc is only hurting us because he went to a rival. Had he signed for PSG or Monaco we'd be wishing him well. I would have loved to sign him back and thought that we might have done it but I also know that if we went down that route it would have probably been at the cost of one of the positions we do need to strengthen in.

I think Wenger knows that we need to do some good business this pre-season, the Board certainly know we have to. I'll hold my fire until the transfer window closes and if we haven't added a class forward, good DMF and Sagna replacement then I will be disgusted.

I disagree with you totally on this. I don't feel anywhere near the majority want to see Wenger leave. What we do want him to do is to relax his transfer policy a bit and be more pragmatic. I certainly don't want a Moyes situation to happen with us with no proper plan B for handover to another Manager.

I have to actually question whether someone is a real Arsenal fan when this display an attitude like this.

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH Sagna is the one I am angrier about if the rumours are true that only a small amount more on wages would have kept him at Arsenal. Then again we don't know if that's the gospel truth.

Cesc is only hurting us because he went to a rival. Had he signed for PSG or Monaco we'd be wishing him well. I would have loved to sign him back and thought that we might have done it but I also know that if we went down that route it would have probably been at the cost of one of the positions we do need to strengthen in.

I think Wenger knows that we need to do some good business this pre-season, the Board certainly know we have to. I'll hold my fire until the transfer window closes and if we haven't added a class forward, good DMF and Sagna replacement then I will be disgusted.

I disagree with you totally on this. I don't feel anywhere near the majority want to see Wenger leave. What we do want him to do is to relax his transfer policy a bit and be more pragmatic. I certainly don't want a Moyes situation to happen with us with no proper plan B for handover to another Manager.

I have to actually question whether someone is a real Arsenal fan when this display an attitude like this.

Yes I'm real and theres plenty out there like me who've long been fed up of Wenger. Wengerout was trending worldwide yesterday, you dont have to look far for people fed up of the club being a a laughing stock.

Sagna only hurts too because its yet another player to a direct rival. Hes pretty much finished at the top, look at the amount of goals he cost us from not tracking back. I highly doubt we will get any improvement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

People thinking we might get griezman or someone recognised haven't learned anything from seasons gone by!

Wenger never goes with who we all think, it's always a relatively unknown or unsuspecting player, which isn't always a bad thing because they usually turn out to be very good!

Yes I'm real and theres plenty out there like me who've long been fed up of Wenger. Wengerout was trending worldwide yesterday, you dont have to look far for people fed up of the club being a a laughing stock.

Sagna only hurts too because its yet another player to a direct rival. Hes pretty much finished at the top, look at the amount of goals he cost us from not tracking back. I highly doubt we will get any improvement though.

I agree that a lot of people are frustrated with Wenger and I get that but this is rubbish. He was our most consistent player last year, defending a wing on his own because nobody in front of him tracked back. What more can he do? Didn't get injured either which is huge for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

This place is going to be cruel until they put in the restrictions again

Just posted about it in Feedback. Please add your thoughts as well guys because one day in and its obvious to me that this forum may have to be avoided until the WC ends.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057229650

Just because lots of people want it doesn't make it right. Look what happened to United when they got rid. Look what happens to Spurs when they change managers every season, (or more).

He makes mistakes and I wish he'd spent more in the last season or 2, but he's done fantastically well to keep us competitive for so long with a limited budget and he deserves his final 3 years in the chair.

I agree that a lot of people are frustrated with Wenger and I get that but this is rubbish. He was our most consistent player last year, defending a wing on his own because nobody in front of him tracked back. What more can he do? Didn't get injured either which is huge for Arsenal.

Sagna's heading ability last season was a major reason why we conceded so few from set pieces. It's going to be very tough to find anyone close to his level.

So you're basing this on one days Twitter trends. Cesc was always going to hurt. But why should we buy a player (admittedly a World Class one) when we have an abundance of talent already vying for the position he plays in? I would much rather we pay the cash to improve our potency up front or get a World Class DMF player or improve on the leaving Sagna.

Fabregas at Chelsea is a MASSIVE kick in the face for the fans. Even if you didnt think we needed him, the club that beat us 6-0 recently with Mourinho in charge and our rivals, is going to be parading around Cesc Fabregas next time we play them.

Our reputation is that of a weak club in the transfer market and to be mocked. Fans have every right to be angry and upset, and since Wenger pretty much signed off on that transfer the brunt of the blame lies with him. I would take Fabregas over Ozil in a heartbeat even if Fabregas has regressed.

Its not fair to expect people to accept it. As soon as we win the FA Cup its more and more bad news. Its very hard to stomach. Fabregas I dont blame him that much, thats football in 2014. I've no doubt if we were in the Europa League a few years Wilshere or Ramsey would have no hesitation playing for United, Chelsea or City. And vice versa, thats football these days. Footballers arent like fans, millions outweigh misplaced sense of loyalty. The sad thing is Fabregas now like many others great times here will be erased from history and he will get plenty of abuse. He better hope he isnt another Torres.

So you're basing this on one days Twitter trends. Cesc was always going to hurt. But why should we buy a player (admittedly a World Class one) when we have an abundance of talent already vying for the position he plays in? I would much rather we pay the cash to improve our potency up front or get a World Class DMF player or improve on the leaving Sagna.

If we get 3 quality players for RB, DMF and up front then that should settle the discontent for a while. We all know there is zero hope of us signing 3 starting players though.

Balotelli, a back up GK, a fast DMF and a decent RB are truely the bare minimum.

I suspect we will get Carlos Vela, a GK, some average RB and a few young players. I suspect Wenger will be happy enough keeping Arteta and Flamini as DMF, even though Artetas legs have gone and is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

In other news. On this day we signed Steve bould . And David Bentley has announced his retirement ........ Yea..... Just trying to break up what will be another long stressful transfer window ...

Oh I missed this place...

No point saying cool the jets and see what happens in the summer and focus on our players in the WC?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No point saying cool the jets and see what happens in the summer and focus on our players in the WC?

I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the Cesc move yesterday the thread would be dead. Is there any chance Cazorla will play tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just posted about it in Feedback. Please add your thoughts as well guys because one day in and its obvious to me that this forum may have to be avoided until the WC ends.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057229650

Fair play gandalf.
    Actually I plan to (generally) avoid this thread until the end of August.
    All this thing about "who are we going to sign? who have our opponents signed? we are screwed. . . etc". . . well, I don't find it very productive. I am an Arsenal fan alright, but I can't spend the rest of my summer worrying on a daily basis about the transfer window. I followed the thread last summer and it was nice and contributed (just a little bit), but my feeling is that this will be a repetition of last summer: people being frustrated all summer on the luck of transfers - hopefully this will change, but I will wait until the beginning of September to make a judgement. And then again, the transfers are only a part (albeit an important one) of a successful team.

The new people coming in are just a top-up. Some of them might stick around and add to the conversation, I'd expect most of them to disappear.

Anyway, enjoy the WC - and the rest of the summer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I can only see the place getting worse until the restrictions are put back in place.

I'm not sure I will be able to deal with all these twitter experts wading in and telling us how the team should be run considering most of them were also calling for Ramsey's head two years ago and whinging how we wouldn't finish in the top 4 before a ball was kicked last year because Sp*rs had signed so many great players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

As much as I'd like a left winger signed id love too see the ox start there next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Forget about fab going to Chelsea. Özil will put him to shame next year.

The more I think about it the happier I am with the decision. It makes no sense from a football or financial point of view for barca to sell him. So why did they?

I suspect this isn't a Jose signing and Cesc will be in the bench a lot next year. He just doesn't have the high energy game that Jose likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Cazorla is seemingly a 20 euro pound target for Atletico Madrid. Snap this up, bring back Carlos Vela for 3.5 million, and slap in a 50 million move for Cavani.....Sweet dreams, I know. But that is net of what Cesc would have cost....

Nothing wrong with the new guys IMO as long as they don't talk too much shite!

Cazorla is seemingly a 20 euro pound target for Atletico Madrid. Snap this up, bring back Carlos Vela for 3.5 million, and slap in a 50 million move for Cavani.....Sweet dreams, I know. But that is net of what Cesc would have cost....

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

what is 20 euro pound? this some new Football manager currency

He's only after signing a new contract, no way they'd have turned down Cesc if Cazorla was leaving.

Soups123 wrote: »
    what is 20 euro pound? this some new Football manager currency

I'm half asleep here...I thought I would be ridiculed more for the Cavani part...

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's only after signing a new contract, no way they'd have turned down Cesc if Cazorla was leaving.

I think 20 million for Cazorla would be hard to turn down. Nearly 30 years of age. His best days are behind him..
    And Vela would be a ready made replacement...

I think 20 million for Cazorla would be hard to turn down. Nearly 30 years of age. His best days are behind him..

Not at all, he's at his peak right now and should be able to perform at the highest level for another 2 seasons at least. he's perfect cover for Ozil imo.He's the kind of strength in depth we need.

Edit: Regarding Vela, I think there's plenty room in the team for himself (or Griezman) and Cazorla. Also lets not forget Joel Campbell is still on his way back for now too, could very well prove to be a handy squad player too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

And Vela would be a ready made replacement...

Bananas

thorbarry wrote: »
    Bananas

Not really that bananas if you look at the stats. The stats tell me that Cazorla has peaked and is on his way down. He was at his peak between 2007-2013. Last season was pretty average in comparison to these years. Vela always had the talent. I always rated him but he never got that run in the Arsenal team. His stats for Real Sociedad over the last two years are impressive from the right side of midfield....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We need to keep players at this age not keep replacing them, he is still in his prime and the type of player he is will be for another 2/3 years

I see Cesc is really on a charm offensive with the Chelsea fans. First he basically tells them there were second best. Now he has posted "Once a gunner, always a gunner. Have a good day guys." on his Twitter page....

Thanks Lostman1990 you've just reminded me to drop him from my Twitterfeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

20 years ago a 30 year old would be pushing on but not In this day and age. Getting rid of santi would be mental

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If we get 3 quality players for RB, DMF and up front then that should settle the discontent for a while. We all know there is zero hope of us signing 3 starting players though.

Balotelli, a back up GK, a fast DMF and a decent RB are truely the bare minimum.

So first you are crying because we didn't spend 30m on Cesc then you cite 4 positions that you feel we need to fill to become competitive and none of them are suited to Cesc!

Do you want us to just spend money for the sake of it.

You'd think 30m was pocket change the way people just spend it for Arsenal.

We were linked with a 21 year old brazilian centre back called Bressan yesterday, anyone know anything about him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Sagna is gone to City, Sky Sports just confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Selling player in their prime is what lower teams do to make money, a club with title ambitions buys players in or coming in to their prime. Selling Santi, which I don't believe for a minute we will do, would be like admitting we are happy to be also rans. Passing up on Cesc only makes sense if we sign 3 or 4 good players who will make our squad stronger than last year. Its all about squad strength and depth in the league, we had a starting XI last season that was as good as anyone else's unfortunately the depth wasn't there a few injuries and we really struggled. So with Sagna gone as well as Fabianski we need a really good RB and a decent reserve GK just to stay were we were. Then the squad needs depth along with one or two players to improve the starting XI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement