Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

I see Cesc is really on a charm offensive with the Chelsea fans. First he basically tells them there were second best. Now he has posted "Once a gunner, always a gunner. Have a good day guys." on his Twitter page....

Checked his twitter...can't see this anywhere. He said something similar moving to Barca and it seems the Daily Mirror and other rags have got this wrong. I'm not great with the tweet machine though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Whose bright idea was it to open up the soccer forum to anyone and everyone?

Absolutely brilliant idea :rolleyes:.

On Sagna to be honest Sagna going to City I couldn't care less he is past his best is not the same player he was three seasons ago he needed to be replaced anyway imo.

He wanted silly money for a 31 yr old and a 3 year contract so we would have been paying a 34 yr old a large chunk of wages for a position he will no doubt not have been first choice in by then.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    The fact that he's ahead of Firmino is a joke.
    I'm guessing Scolari see's something i don't.

Some players are just great internationals though and in particular alot of Brazilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We were linked with a 21 year old brazilian centre back called Bressan yesterday, anyone know anything about him?

Never heard of him until yesterday. Hope he is more Thiago Silva than Sideshow BoB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Dare I say I think we had cesc for his best years too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Over to you Arsene - you better be pulling a very large rabbit out of your hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think 20 million for Cazorla would be hard to turn down. Nearly 30 years of age. His best days are behind him..
    And Vela would be a ready made replacement...

Jaysus he must have improved no end since i last saw him.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

irish son wrote: »
    Sagna is gone to City, Sky Sports just confirmed.

bbbbbbboooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm

The second grenade has just gone off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I see Cesc is really on a charm offensive with the Chelsea fans. First he basically tells them there were second best. Now he has posted "Once a gunner, always a gunner. Have a good day guys." on his Twitter page....

Was posted 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Dare I say I think we had cesc for his best years too

I heard this sad story about a poor Spanish Kid who was abandoned, left to fend for himself. A Kindly old man gave him a home and raised him in London, loved him and treated him like a son. But his birth family made contact with him and asked him to come home, they screwed over the old man and took the lad. Turns out they didn’t want him after all and three years later they’ve dumped him – again – on a Bridge. Now this weird megalomaniac, and a sinister dodgy Russian are in charge of the him. One of his housemates is John Terry. Poor lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

On Cazorla, he is a mighty player but, and its a big but, he goes missing too often on the big stage. Yes I know, the fa cup final he didnt and dragged us back into it with that goal. He is an exceptional talent when a game is balanced or things are going right for us, Ozil is also that type of player. When the sh1t hits the fan Id much rather a Rosicky/Flamini/dare I say it Cesc type attitude in a player.
    Thats the only gripe id have about Santi, i wish he had a bit more bite

On Sagna, it was inevitable that he was going to end up at city, he wanted one last payday which i guess is his own business. It doesnt hurt because his best days were probably behind him and the money he wanted was too steep. I think City are nuts to pay that much for a player that will most likely be sitting on his hole every week.
    Good luck to him, a great servant who owes us nothing, and im glad he left with a medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I heard this sad story about a poor Spanish Kid who was abandoned, left to fend for himself. A Kindly old man gave him a home and raised him in London, loved him and treated him like a son. But his birth family made contact with him and asked him to come home, they screwed over the old man and took the lad. Turns out they didn’t want him after all and three years later they’ve dumped him – again – on a Bridge. Now this weird megalomaniac, and a sinister dodgy Russian are in charge of the him. One of his housemates is John Terry. Poor lad.

I heard that story too loved the songs often spend my days singing 'you've got to pick a pocket or two'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Checked his twitter...can't see this anywhere. He said something similar moving to Barca and it seems the Daily Mirror and other rags have got this wrong. I'm not great with the tweet machine though..

He posted that back in 2010 and people are resurfacing it, it's not recent.

#traitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I honestly don't think Arsene has ever forgave Cesc for wanting out of Arsenal, and it probably hurts Cesc more that it just didn't work for him at Barca and now his second home from home Arsenal don't want him. Must be a knock to his ego. Now he has to work under Jose and his negative football, I can't see it working well for Cesc. I agree with whoever said we got his best years, he wasn't the same player at Barca and he certainly won't be at Chelsea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just to put Cesc in some perspective, here's what Arsene said about resigning Flamini.
    I admit I hesitated. I don't usually let that happen. With me, once they leave, they leave.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Arsene has ever forgave Cesc for wanting out of Arsenal, and it probably hurts Cesc more that it just didn't work for him at Barca and now his second home from home Arsenal don't want him. Must be a knock to his ego. Now he has to work under Jose and his negative football, I can't see it working well for Cesc. I agree with whoever said we got his best years, he wasn't the same player at Barca and he certainly won't be at Chelsea.

I really dont by into all that player loves the club sh*t, players love success, attention and money. His ego might be dented if we didnt want him but that is all in real life the couldnt give too fcuks about Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

Sagna to city, fabregas to Chelsea , it's going to be like a nuke hit us when song joins man united :D . No but seriously, players that are gone , are gone. There's nothing we can do except hope and pray wenger does the business and brings in the players we need. Anybody mind lukaku as the main striker? Cause I think we should seriously go for him, yes I know Mourinho would be reluctant to sell to us. But anybody think we can realistically get him?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

quikcunny wrote: »
    Sagna to city, fabregas to Chelsea , it's going to be like a nuke hit us when song joins man united :D . No but seriously, players that are gone , are gone. There's nothing we can do except hope and pray wenger does the business and brings in the players we need. Anybody mind lukaku as the main striker? Cause I think we should seriously go for him, yes I know Mourinho would be reluctant to sell to us. But anybody think we can realistically get him?

I don't think we can get him but I would love if we did. Beast of a striker and will only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

id say he would but the money to get him would prob be north of £20m

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just to put Cesc in some perspective, here's what Arsene said about resigning Flamini.

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
    I admit I hesitated. I don't usually let that happen. With me, once they leave, they leave.

Strange one considering he brought back in Lehmann, Henry and Campbell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He didnt want to loan you guys Ba, I'd be 99.99% certain he wouldnt sell you Lukaku.

So how would anyone feel if Wenger -

1. Does not buy a RB and leaves Jenks there with Bellarin covering.
    2. Starts the season with Vermaillon as the only experienced cover for CB.
    3. Does not buy a DM.
    4. Only gets Vela in as back-up striker/winger?

Would you feel that we are being fobbed off or do you think we would cope adequately with the same amount of injuries as last season?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

3. Does not buy a DM.

Would you feel that we are being fobbed off or do you think we would cope adequately with the same amount of injuries as last season?

I think we'd still manage 4th but I'd have lost all faith in Wenger. I honestly think there's no way in hell what you describe will happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

3. Does not buy a DM.

is the question rhetorical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sagna to city, fabregas to Chelsea , it's going to be like a nuke hit us when song joins man united :D

Unless Song has suddenly become world class the only place it will go nuclear if he signs for United will be the United thread.
    Anybody mind lukaku as the main striker? Cause I think we should seriously go for him, yes I know Mourinho would be reluctant to sell to us. But anybody think we can realistically get him?

As a third or fourth striker not as the main one. I doubt Mourinho would sell him to us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

3. Does not buy a DM.

Nervous at first, then optimism will come in , then anger . Rinse and repeat . He has to go into the market.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He didnt want to loan you guys Ba, I'd be 99.99% certain he wouldnt sell you Lukaku.

Maybe Jose said give us Cesc and we will sell you Lukaku and ps Im sorry about all the ****ty digs during the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

3. Does not buy a DM.

That won't happen.

I don't get the negativity around here. It is only the 13th of June.

I remember last August and people were saying how good the Spurs signings were and we were nowhere. Look how the season worked out.

The same people who were criticising Wenger for not signing Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho and Capoue are the same people criticising the club for not re-signing Fabregas.

Godge wrote: »
    That won't happen.

I don't get the negativity around here. It is only the 13th of June.

I remember last August and people were saying how good the Spurs signings were and we were nowhere. Look how the season worked out.

The same people who were criticising Wenger for not signing Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho and Capoue are the same people criticising the club for not re-signing Fabregas.

In fairness the negativity is understandable. I understand why many posters are concerned.
    Our signing history has a lot to do with it.
    Will we be glued to our t.v.'s in the last hours of the window just waiting for news or will we have our business done? History would suggest the former. Spurs signings have really nothing to do with us except that they were active when we weren't.

• Advertisement

3. Does not buy a DM.

1. Does not buy a RB and leaves Jenks there with Bellarin covering - I won't freak out completely, Bellerin is quite a prospect and I think Jenks could do well with some more game time. I think he will buy a RB though.
    2>Starts the season with Vermaillon as the only experienced cover for CB - this is an issue. We were lucky with CB fitness last season and mert played over 50 games.
    3> I will be annoyed - Arteta is on his last legs at this level.
    4> I'll be annoyed - we need proper top level striker. Vela is ok, as is Remi, provided we got a Balotelli or the like too.

1. Does not buy a RB and leaves Jenks there with Bellarin covering - I won't freak out completely, Bellerin is quite a prospect and I think Jenks could do well with some more game time. I think he will buy a RB though.
    2>Starts the season with Vermaillon as the only experienced cover for CB - this is an issue. We were lucky with CB fitness last season and mert played over 50 games.
    3> I will be annoyed - Arteta is on his last legs at this level.
    4> I'll be annoyed - we need proper top level striker. Vela is ok, as is Remi, provided we got a Balotelli or the like too.

2 could be as big an issue as not getting a DM for me. We really lack cover now that Sagna is gone. It was easy to fill the gap while he was there as they could just bring Jenks in and swap Sagna to CB. That option is now gone. I read a post that said Jenks could play CB but to be honest anytime I saw him anywhere near the heart of our defence we conceded or nearly did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That wouldn't piss me off majorly. I would prefer us to buy someone though.
    This is definitely a weak spot that needs addressing.
    3. Does not buy a DM.
    This is one of the must buys. Arteta is only good as a sub now, he doesn't have 90 minutes in his tank any more and Flamini can be erratic.

This will be a toys out of the pram moment for me. We have to bring in someone who is at a higher level than Giroud who can play with him or instead of him. Vela or Lukaku as a third/fourth choice would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I said months ago we could potentially need 6 players and some people disagreed.

Rb, cb, gk, mid, striker, winger.

We Will probably get 3.

Let's hope Verms doesn't decide to leave too.

gandalf wrote: »
    That wouldn't piss me off majorly. I would prefer us to buy someone though.

This is definitely a weak spot that needs addressing.

This is one of the must buys. Arteta is only good as a sub now, he doesn't have 90 minutes in his tank any more and Flamini can be erratic.

This will be a toys out of the pram moment for me. We have to bring in someone who is at a higher level than Giroud who can play with him or instead of him. Vela or Lukaku as a third/fourth choice would be fine.

So for you its a CB, DM and quality striker. Much the same here but i would prefer a good experienced RB and as for a GK I think we will pick up one cheap to back up Czsz.

In fairness the negativity is understandable. I understand why many posters are concerned.
    Our signing history has a lot to do with it.
    Will we be glued to our t.v.'s in the last hours of the window just waiting for news or will we have our business done? History would suggest the former. Spurs signings have really nothing to do with us except that they were active when we weren't.

Yes, but loads of people was saying on here as late as the middle of August that Lamela or Soldado would have been great signings for us - it was relevant to those wanting to criticise the club. It is only because in the end Spurs finished sixth that people are now saying that they have really nothing to do with us. We can go back and look at the old threads if you want.

Maybe people might be better waiting to make definitive statements until the end of the window.

• Advertisement

Yes, but loads of people was saying on here as late as the middle of August that Lamela or Soldado would have been great signings for us - it was relevant to those wanting to criticise the club. It is only because in the end Spurs finished sixth that people are now saying that they have really nothing to do with us. We can go back and look at the old threads if you want.

Maybe people might be better waiting to make definitive statements until the end of the window.

Those were valid criticisms at the time though, Spurs were trying to strengthen their team and many of the players the brought in were pretty highly rated. It's only because of hindsight those criticisms don't stand up now, we still made a mess of the transfer window as a whole and the less said about January the better. Just because the players Spurs signed didn't work out doesn't make our shortcomings less of an issue, at least Spurs went into the market and tried to address the weaknesses in the team, I'd rather the club were decisive and for it to not work out than do nothing and scrape 4th again.

It's early days yet though, I fully expect Wenger to sign a few players this season.

Spurs were not the only team to strengthen though.
    I notice you didn't mention Chelsea or Liverpool. Posters were talking about them too.
    I think its the fact that we operate very late that has many flustered.

Those were valid criticisms at the time though, Spurs were trying to strengthen their team and many of the players the brought in were pretty highly rated. It's only because of hindsight those criticisms don't stand up now, we still made a mess of the transfer window as a whole and the less said about January the better. Just because the players Spurs signed didn't work out doesn't make our shortcomings less of an issue, at least Spurs went into the market and tried to address the weaknesses in the team, I'd rather the club were decisive and for it to not work out than do nothing and scrape 4th again.

It's early days yet though, I fully expect Wenger to sign a few players this season.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86097498&postcount=6455

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86098006&postcount=6473

Some of us have correctly rubbished Spurs signings without needing hindsight.

Spurs were not the only team to strengthen though.
    I notice you didn't mention Chelsea or Liverpool. Posters were talking about them too.
    I think its the fact that we operate very late that has many flustered.

Spurs was the team everybody fixated on last summer. The narrative was seven quality signings turned them into contenders even though they lost Bale. It was rubbish then but that doesn't stop people repeating the same criticism this summer.

I didn't mention Liverpool?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/lfc-transfers-summer-2013/

Toure, Aspas, Alberto, Mignolet, Cissokho, Sakho, Ilori and Moses for a combined value of £44.8m!!!! And big signing-on fees for the free transfers. Which of them was a clear unambiguous success?

You're missing my point, the fact that their signings didn't work out is irrelevant to how poorly Arsenal performed in the transfer window at the time (apart from Ozil) and it's irrelevant to people wanting us to go out and address the weakness in the squad this summer. Spurs screwing the pooch with their transfers doesn't justify 2 poor transfer windows for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Spurs was the team everybody fixated on last summer. The narrative was seven quality signings turned them into contenders even though they lost Bale. It was rubbish then but that doesn't stop people repeating the same criticism this summer.

I didn't mention Liverpool?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/lfc-transfers-summer-2013/

Toure, Aspas, Alberto, Mignolet, Cissokho, Sakho, Ilori and Moses for a combined value of £44.8m!!!! And big signing-on fees for the free transfers. Which of them was a clear unambiguous success?

Shure you could say that for many of the players Wenger signed over the years i.e. Cygan, Santos, Stepanovs, Park Chu-young Jeffers etc etc.
    It's not about that as you can sign flops late as well as early.

You're missing my point, the fact that their signings didn't work out is irrelevant to how poorly Arsenal performed in the transfer window at the time (apart from Ozil) and it's irrelevant to people wanting us to go out and address the weakness in the squad this summer. Spurs screwing the pooch with their transfers doesn't justify 2 poor transfer windows for Arsenal.

No it's not. Spurs got worse after significant transfer activity. Liverpool improved despite poor transfers. We won a trophy despite your description of the last 2 transfer windows as poorly performing.

What is the lesson from that?

1. Transfers are not the be all and end all of building a team.
    2. It is only June so let us wait and see.
    3. Next May will tell a lot more than 1 September.
    Shure you could say that for many of the players Wenger signed over the years i.e. Cygan, Santos, Stepanovs, Park Chu-young Jeffers etc etc.
    It's not about that as you can sign flops late as well as early.

Hang on, you were the one who implied Liverpool had a great transfer window last summer. In fact, it was probably worse than Spurs (for players coming in) but they improved nonetheless.

No it's not. Spurs got worse after significant transfer activity. Liverpool improved despite poor transfers. We won a trophy despite your description of the last 2 transfer windows as poorly performing.

What is the lesson from that?

1. Transfers are not the be all and end all of building a team.
    2. It is only June so let us wait and see.
    3. Next May will tell a lot more than 1 September.

Hang on, you were the one who implied Liverpool had a great transfer window last summer. In fact, it was probably worse than Spurs (for players coming in) but they improved nonetheless.

No I implied that Liverpool and Chelsea etc got their business done early which is the crux of the issue and not the quality of the signings.

We won't sign more than three players, it's Wenger's belief that more than that can damage the teams technical consistency. He reiterated this in a presser last season when questioned on how spurs were getting on with their seven signings.

Briefly on spurs I must say I never expected lamella to be as big a flop as he has been. 30m. Crazy when you tthink of the ozil criticism, especially the nicking a living article, when lamella has been a disastrous signing for them. 30m is a massive investment for most clubs and to have the return that they've got so far from him it's really been horrible. For the player too, if he'd stayed at roma perhaps he'd have avoided "injury" and been at the world cup with Argentina now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

No I implied that Liverpool and Chelsea etc got their business done early which is the crux of the issue and not the quality of the signings.

Is it just impatience on your behalf maybe to know what is going on behind the scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

back from holiday. went to lisbon and visited Benfica's stadium. wow just wow what a stadium. vey similar to emirates due to the same company who built it.

Their museum was amazing too. so much much history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

edit: i will post pictures later. right now i have not slept since wednesday due to the whole city turning into one big fat festival lasting all day all night..

i even watched the brazil macth with a load of brazilian fans in lisbon...

I now like Benfica. very good club and history.

I aslo bought a jersey and wore it to the festival. everyone was hugging me and kissing the badge.

Basically Benfica fans are A LOT MORE PASSIONATE and hardcore than us arsenal fans located in london.

symbolic wrote: »
    Is it just impatience on your behalf maybe to know what is going on behind the scenes?

I was referring to other posters actually.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

In a sense Spurs kind of bought alright last year, the players were all good in their own right but they simply bought too many at once.
    You can blend 2 or 3 players in at a time, its impossible to get 8? new signings to fit in straight away. They never needed to buy that many players anyway, they were like a child wanting to spend every last penny of their budget.
    Of course with hindsight we can plainly see that alot of them were flops but at the time there were a good few worried faces here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm with Godge here.

Basically people are so impatient that while we haven't signed anyone, pretty much every player signed by Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea or whoever becomes someone people are furious we missed out on. People just want a few signings and a tonne of hope and they suspend rational judgement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement