Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Spanish press reporting it too.

Why would these papers pick him to make up a story like this.

Some people denied the cesc rumours and wouldn't even entertain the notion that maybe they might not know as much as other sources.

Cesc didn't sign a new contract with us in march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Cesc didn't sign a new contract with us in march.

Quite common nowadays for a player to sign a contract then leave soon after.

I give you Thierry Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Looper007 wrote: »
    My spiderman senses are telling me Messi and Ronaldo are on the way to Arsenal. You heard it here first.

Just a bit of conversation, is speculating on possible signings considered bad etiquette? Im hardly confirming it, just asking a few questions about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Spanish press reporting it too.

Why would these papers pick him to make up a story like this.

Some people denied the cesc rumours and wouldn't even entertain the notion that maybe they might not know as much as other sources.

The fact is yes the papers sometimes get it right but 9 times out of 10 they are talking out there arse.

I much prefer to wait until things are official before reacting.

On Balotelli I'd snap him up if he was avaialable, his antics weren't as bad as the English media made them out to be.

Plus I don't know were the notion of Wenger being afraid to take on players with a reputation comes from, step forward RVP who we got dirt cheap because of his at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

TUBBY wrote: »
    Metro has it that cazorla told family he wants to move to atletico. Saw in this thread two pages back how he would be loyal compared to Cesc.
    If he leaves and cesc gone to Chelsea, that is terrible bit of business.

No way. Athletico are broke. Since they bought Falcao 4 years ago, their biggest transfer was 4 million on Villa.

No way they take the majority of the Costa money and spend it on someone with no resale value, not a chance that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

As well as the buy back Clause we also have a 50% sell on clause on vela

Wee negotiating taking out all the clauses so he is fully there player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The fact is yes the papers sometimes get it right but 9 times out of 10 they are talking out there arse.

I much prefer to wait until things are official before reacting.

On Balotelli I'd snap him up if he was avaialable, his antics weren't as bad as the English media made them out to be.

Plus I don't know were the notion of Wenger being afraid to take on players with a reputation comes from, step forward RVP who we got dirt cheap because of his at the time.

I'd say its more that 9 out of 10 times papers end up looking as if they're talking out of their arse. Generally there is a grain of truth in them, but for one reason or another they end up not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Just saw an interesting post on the Arsenal reddit sub. They're speculating that we may have some transfer business done but won't be announcing it or unveiling any player until July 1st since that's when the Puma deal starts.

It makes sense really, I don't think Puma would be happy if they missed out on the initial revenue/exposure associated with unveiling a big signing. It's all speculation obviously but it definitely makes some sense.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Just saw an interesting post on the Arsenal reddit sub. They're speculating that we may have some transfer business done but won't be announcing it or unveiling any player until July 1st since that's when the Puma deal starts.

It makes sense really, I don't think Puma would be happy if they missed out on the initial revenue/exposure associated with unveiling a big signing. It's all speculation obviously but if definitely make some sense.
    Balotelli is Puma sponsored isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

It makes sense really, I don't think Puma would be happy if they missed out on the initial revenue/exposure associated with unveiling a big signing. It's all speculation obviously but if definitely make some sense.

Defo believe that, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this summer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If I was Puma I would be insisting no signings until the new deal is in place and I could maximise my media exposure.

Makes complete sense

Soups123 wrote: »
    If I was Puma I would be insisting no signings until the new deal is in place and I could maximise my media exposure.

Makes complete sense

It does but I think it's impossible in this day and age to keep things quiet.

If we had signed someone big then a group of officials from each club, two sets of agents, a few players and some friends would know.

No way would it be kept under wraps.

I've heard the suggestion of timing unveilings to coincide with new sponsor deals but never heard it actually happen before.

We will go big in for someone.

Giving up Fab and Vela means that's what we're doing.

Come 1st Sept we will have another world class player at the club and it will be in a position we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

greendom wrote: »
    Balotelli is Puma sponsored isn't he?

Yeah but so is Cesc.....And Griezmann.....

gosplan wrote: »

If we had signed someone big then a group of officials from each club, two sets of agents, a few players and some friends would know.

I've heard the suggestion of timing unveilings to coincide with new sponsor deals but never heard it actually happen before.

Come 1st Sept we will have another world class player at the club and it will be in a position we need.

Yep agree

I was more thinking not that we had deals done but rather holding off transfer dealing until after July 1 which suits also with the WC being on

I'm very confident this summer

Yep agree

I was more thinking not that we had deals done but rather holding off transfer dealing until after July 1 which suits also with the WC being on

I'm very confident this summer

Me too.

I wouldn't have minded Vela but I think passing up on him is a very good sign that there are a lot of plans as regards transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

enda bradyVerified account
    @SkyEnda
    Arsene Wenger very keen on Seamus Coleman, I'm told. Expect a bid.
    Sky correspondent. Would love an Irishman here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Godge wrote: »
    I disagree, the quality of the signings is much more important than the timing. Take last summer. Would you swap Ozil on the last day for Soldado and Lamela early on. Same money, different outcome.

Can work both ways, good or bad.

You posted that before the Spain/Holland match, care to update?

That was posted again not about the players themselves but about getting business done early. I stated that several times already but you continue to ignore. Why?

Giroud and Podolski were done early enough.

The exception to the rule and that's what I like. Early business before others try to get involved and spoil it for us.

I am glad we waited for Ozil rather than spend our money early on duds.

Can work both ways. We often waited and got bad players.

Of course I will be critical if 1 September comes around and the squad hasn't been improved. But it is the 13th of June for god's sake. If we are looking at two full-backs and Wenger is waiting to see which performs better under the pressure of the World Cup, what is wrong with that?

Nothing but again we are certain to have more competition later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Who was the last Irishman to play regularly for us, Eddie Mc Goldrick?

salmocab wrote: »

What a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I doubt we ever see a legend like that again :pac:

I doubt we ever see a legend like that again :pac:

I remember he had a great game when we beat Standard Liege in the cup winners cup around 93 7-0 he scored one and set up a couple more. Thats the heights we need now.

Here's a list of the Irishmen and women who played for Arsenal -

http://www.worldeasy.com/arsenal/irish.htm

Wonder would Emma Byrne marry me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Wonder would Emma Byrne marry me?

She married another professional footballer. She's also 6' 0" and he's a 5' 9"-nobody. Certainly a odd couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Utd move for verm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Liam "shiny head" brady?

Utd move for verm

I keep saying it but it could turn out we need 5 or 6 players by the end of the summer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I keep saying it but it could turn out we need 5 or 6 players by the end of the summer.

I can't see them letting Verm go, it was pure luck in terms of injuries last year that he never got an extended run in the team.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I can't see them letting Verm go, it was pure luck in terms of injuries last year that he never got an extended run in the team.

He wants to go though, he wants to play regular football.

He wants to go though, he wants to play regular football.

How long left on his contract ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How long left on his contract ?

Only a year, it would make sense to cash in in many ways but honestly I'd rather keep him on for the final season rather than having to spend a chunk of this years budget on replacing him.

The rumour mill is saying we'll accept an 8million bid if ones comes in this year though.

Only a year, it would make sense to cash in in many ways but honestly I'd rather keep him on for the final season rather than having to spend a chunk of this years budget on replacing him.

The rumour mill is saying we'll accept an 8million bid if ones comes in this year though.

We'll be needing a new back up centre back so. With Sagna gone 2 even.

We'll be needing a new back up centre back so. With Sagna gone 2 even.

Exactly, we already need another CB in the squad even with Verm imo. Either sopmeone young that's not quite the finished article or someone around the 30 mark that would be happy to be back up.

Exactly, we already need another CB in the squad even with Verm imo.

So that's
    gk
    2 cb
    rb
    dm
    Winger
    Striker.
    Hmmm not good.

Reckon we will get rb who can cover cb.

Striker.

Back up keeper.

So that's
    gk
    2 cb
    rb
    dm
    Winger
    Striker.

Hmmmm. Not good.

Yeah, would be very surprised if all those positions are addressed. Only compromise is someone who can play both RB and CB, would be relying on a bit of luck with injuries like last season to get away with that though and could very well end up with us giving game time to the likes of Bellerin.

Yeah, would be very surprised if all those positions are addressed. Only compromise is someone who can play both RB and CB, would be relying on a bit of luck with injuries like last season to get away with that though and could very well end up with us giving game time to the likes of Bellerin.

I very much doubt we will get a winger, it will be bottom of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Coleman would be a fantastic addition but the money Everton will look for means it really is a no go. One report suggested 12 million plus Arteta. I still don't think that will be enough.

What a negative bunch you lot are. Jesus already moaning and groaning, some of you are wanna be Jose's, he should buy this and that . Wenger knows what he needs, put trust in our manager.

What a negative bunch you lot are. Jesus already moaning and groaning, some of you are wanna be Jose's, he should buy this and that . Wenger knows what he needs, put trust in our manager.

I'm his eyes we need the bare minimum. Let's hope he has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Right you have been annoying me lately, for the simple reason that you have changed your tune so much. Here you are last summer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86056248&postcount=5673

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86056615&postcount=5681

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86061334&postcount=5804

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86061439&postcount=5808

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86061780&postcount=5814

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86066157&postcount=5914

I could go on but I think ive made my point

You described yourself as "anti-Wenger" and him as a "club cancer", now its all about showing faith and trust in the manager,
    Where has the big turnaround come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

I wouldn't agree at all. Tight confidentiality clauses drafted by lawyers charging £800 per hour are, if included in a player purchase agreement, are not to be d*cked around with. Rest assured that the money-men at the club would make it very clear to any incoming player, that their lips are to be sealed until a certain date. If breached, the financial reprecussions would be dire for both the player and the agent, leaving the reputation of the latter in tatters.

That post makes lots of sense - I think we'll hear a wave of news in early July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

wonga77 wrote: »
    Right you have been annoying me lately, for the simple reason that you have changed your tune so much. Here you are last summer

You described yourself as "anti-Wenger" and him as a "club cancer", now its all about showing faith and trust in the manager,

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

I wouldn't agree at all. Tight confidentiality clauses drafted by lawyers charging £800 per hour are, if included in a player purchase agreement, are not to be d*cked around with. Rest assured that the money-men at the club would make it very clear to any incoming player, that their lips are to be sealed until a certain date. If breached, the financial reprecussions would be dire for both the player and the agent, leaving the reputation of the latter in tatters.

That post makes lots of sense - I think we'll hear a wave of news in early July.

Paul on the road to Damascus Wembley perhaps.

I'm that important to you that you had to check up my past. He won me around that was last summer.

I'm that important to you that you had to check up my past. He won me around that was last summer.

Well you were negative then, now you come in here abusing us of been moans and negative just because you seen the light.

It's quite funny actually.

In fairness I had been thinking myself you were a negative aul **** last year, but you've changed a lot but that's football.

What changed the FA Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think Cabin Fever has rightly set in on this thread lads....Relax enjoy the World Cup then we'll panic about Arsenal for the remaining weeks leading to the new season

In fairness I had been thinking myself you were a negative aul **** last year, but you've changed a lot but that's football.

What changed the FA Cup?

I liked the way the team has played recently, apart from injuries to key players it was a very good season. The FA Cup was great but I like how the team is looking. I was very negative cause I really thought we would struggle and I wasn't the only one to be fair, there was a lot on here doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You bored?

Go outside and enjoy the summer and watch the world cup instead of digging through someones posts. jeeze

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement