Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Also Aurier starts for Ivory Coast in the next few minutes if anyone wants to get a look.

Hasnt he been pretty much ruled out now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Saw on twitter lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Two assists for Aurier??!

Like the look of that Gervinho lad. Could be a good player. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I tried to stay awake for the whole of the Ivory Coast game but failed.

The guy below is exactly what we need against the Man Uniteds and Jose Mourinhos of this world.

10478546_727446733979659_4468704326951378807_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The amount of hate Wilshere gets is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone always seems to be chomping at the bit to proclaim him over rated when he doesn't have a good game.

And as we all know, 15 minutes against an Italian team defending a lead is always the best chance to judge a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The amount of hate Wilshere gets is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone always seems to be chomping at the bit to proclaim him over rated when he doesn't have a good game.

And as we all know, 15 minutes against an Italian team defending a lead is always the best chance to judge a player.

Agreed. However I think many would also agree he hasn't progressed to the level we thought he would. In fairness the lad could do with an injury free season. Personally I also thought he'd be the player Ramsey was last season by now but I still firmly think he'll get there soon enough. Easily one of my favourite players at arsenal and love his attitude towards the club. Obviously you never know how loyal players are these days but I'd be shocked if jack doesn't play his prime years at the club. My 6 year old son thinks he's the business too and wants an England Jersey with his name on it! I think we'll settle for an arsenal one though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am not Wilshere biggest fan, but I would love to see him develop into a stunning player and serve us well. IMHO sometimes he forgets the basics and ops to do things he cant do and gets caught in possession an awful lot.

But only Wenger can pull him up on it.....didnt have the time to impact the game either last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think we're going to get a DMF.

Arsne hasn't looked for one in a while and it's telling that we have no young players in that position since Coq.

So how would people feel about a great RB, backup GK, Campbell joining and a centre forward like Balotelli or better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

is johan djourou still on loan from Us or is he sold off? he's still rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

gone and never coming back. I think we got 2 or 3 million for him or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Excited by Joel Campbell. He strikes me as the type of guy who would actually score against the big teams. Something about his attitude and the way he plays.

Lookin forward to seeing Griezmann here now. No Kos or Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wonder is there any truth in the rumours going around that we are actually in for Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Griezmann is a super player with lots of qualities. Has very little pace though and I wonder do we really need another clever tricky player? I really think we need our new forward acquisitions to have pace above other qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

greendom wrote: »
    Griezmann is a super player with lots of qualities. Has very little pace though and I wonder do we really need another clever tricky player? I really think we need our new forward acquisitions to have pace above other qualities.

Griezmann is very fast!
    Not Walcott fast but he can definitely move.. Just never got to show it.

Would love him on LW though.

Griezmann is very fast!
    Not Walcott fast but he can definitely move.. Just never got to show it.

Would love him on LW though.

Fair enough he didn't show it at all tonight - and there was one moment there in the second half when he had a chance to put on the after burners and he just dawdled. If he has pace as well, then he is a must-buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Wonder is there any truth in the rumours going around that we are actually in for Balotelli

I would say it's 99% certain we are not going to get Balotelli.

Milan won't sell him and Balotelli loves it there, childhood club etc.

He's not what we need anyway, he doesn't have much pace, fouls too much and doesn't work hard enough, doesn't score enough either.

36 year old Luca Toni got 20 goals vs Balotelli 14 goals in the Seria A this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Baffling to think Kos doesnt start for France. Not being biased or anything but in my opinion he is the best centre half in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Milan are broke and they were not his childhood club.
    He's not what we need anyway, he doesn't have much pace, fouls too much and doesn't work hard enough, doesn't score enough either.

He's very fast and his goal-scoring record the season gone is nearly 1 in every 2 games.

The only parts you got right is his work rate and discipline but, remember, Patrick Vieira was no angel either.

• Advertisement

He's very fast

No he's not.

Any examples to prove this?

Very fast is Theo, Bale etc

Balotelli has no where near that pace.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanogo was quicker, he's not what I would class as very fast

I would say it's 99% certain we are not going to get Balotelli.

36 year old Luca Toni got 20 goals vs Balotelli 14 goals in the Seria A this season.

Do you actually watch the players you criticize? Because most of the stuff you say is wrong.

Milan are absolutely broke!! They have no Champions league this year and without that money they'll be looking to recoup there losses.

He (Balotelli) also has bags of pace!
    and with 14 goals and 6 assists in that Milan team is hardly bad.. He shows up in big games which is something we badly need.

Also using your logic Giroud is better than Van Persie because is got more goals.. and Luca Toni played 9 more games than Balo.

I'm not saying we are getting Balotelli, but there's no reason to believe we can't.

He (Balotelli) also has bags of pace!

I have watched enough of him to know pace is not his strong point.He very rarely runs at players and when he does score it's mostly got nothing to do with pace.

We need a guy up top with pace, Balotelli is not that quick.

He's way over-hyped on this forum.

I don't if it's because we are desperate or what.

Alot of Vela's/ Campbell's goals/plays are based on pace and movement, Balotelli's is almost a supporting striker at times, always dropping too deep.

Also Balotelli takes nearly 11 shots per goal he scores and he's their pen taker with 3 penalty goals. To put that in perspective Giroud who's a terrible finisher takes 7 shots per goal.

I have watched enough of him to know pace is not his strong point.He very rarely runs at players and when he does score it's mostly got nothing to do with pace.

We need a guy up top with pace, Balotelli is not that quick.

He's way over-hyped on this forum.

I don't if it's because we are desperate or what.

Alot of Vela's/ Campbell's goals/plays are based on pace and movement, Balotelli's is almost a supporting striker at times, always dropping too deep.

Also Balotelli takes nearly 11 shots per goal he scores and he's their pen taker with 3 penalty goals. To put that in perspective Giroud who's a terrible finisher takes 7 shots per goal.

See again you're proving my point..

1st: Balotelli is 6'2 which for his height he can move very fast.

2nd: You're using Vela and Campbell as comparisons when both are Wingers thats will occasionally play up front. Its like calling Walcott a striker because he's played a few games there.

3rd: So what if he drops deep? Giroud does it all the time to interchange with our midfield. Also just watching him against England to see him play as a lone striker.

4th: If you actually watched Balotelli you'd know he takes a crazy amount of long shots. Because if you're trying to tell me Giroud is a better finisher than Balo you're mad.

Basically.. you'd have to be crazy to think Balotelli isn't good enough for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness to Y2K, he's right about a lot.

Not fast is not fast regardless of height. When people say that we need to add pace to the attack, that is not Balotelli.

Also his scoring record isn't earth shattering and never has been.

I think people are overrating him because we think he might be a possibility and at the moment he'd be welcome because we only have one striker.

I'd kind of like to see him come but with that said, even if we signed Balotelli, we'd still need another Striker/WF so I'd much rather we signed that type of player first.

Despite our hopes Balotelli and Giroud would not fit well together.

Despite our hopes, he's very unlikely to want to return to England.

Despite our hopes, he is mad and I just don't get this whole 'if anyone can tame him...' line trotted out - Ade, Diarra?

I'm not saying Balotelli isn't better than Giroud but do we want to make our big signing a 1 goal in 2 player just so we can bench our only 1 goal in 2 player.

One thing that's beyond doubt is that there's no way in hell they play together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Let's hope he's as prone to defensive clangers as ever. Not upset about him leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Wasn't a bad 3rd choice, stepped in and done a job when needed.

No more departures after this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm fine with it as long as he's replaced.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm fine with it as long as he's replaced.

exactly.

• Advertisement

It'll be a joke if we sold him to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think of Phil jones and verm centre back partnership........

Think of Phil jones and verm centre back partnership........

calamity central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If he is going would much prefer to send him overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Wenger should just become head of recruitment for the top teams at this stage.

Wenger should just become head of recruitment for the top teams at this stage.

The guy is not a 1st choice player and has been suspect. Once we replace him with someone of the same or better quality I won't have a problem with it. Like I said in the United thread I look forward to seeing his partnership with Phil Jones in action :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We already had enough positions to buy for and knew Wenger wouldn't replace them all, now we've even more. We need 2 cb signings now just to get back where we were last year with Sagna and Verm gone.

Could be us returning the favour for Silvestre

Now how can we get Van Gaal to notice Ryo Miyaichi as well ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    Now how can we get Van Gaal to notice Ryo Miyaichi as well ;)

or diaby. he's fine! honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

The problem of Vermaelen going to Man United is the perception that any of our players can be bought. If teams flash enough money at us, we will sell. We also have a huge problem leaving players run down contracts to their final year. Our last three captains will line out for Chelsea and Man United next year. So I know some people will say we have to stop being negative...but I see nothing positive in this...

The problem of Vermaelen going to Man United is the perception that any of our players can be bought. If teams flash enough money at us, we will sell. We also have a huge problem leaving players run down contracts to their final year. Our last three captains will line out for Chelsea and Man United next year. So I know some people will say we have to stop being negative...but I see nothing positive in this...

Tne main problem is lettting the contract dwindle to the last year. But if a player won't sign, what can you do ?

Should Wenger have given him more playing time to convince him to stay? And disrupt and excellent centre-back pairing? Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

No problems with Verm going as long as hes replaced. Prone to serious defensive errors but still a decent option to have. Id much rather see him go overseas though.
    Something wrong with our selling policy though, we're selling our captain to Utd, we seem to sell alot to our direct rivals.
    When was the last time we secured a top player from a big English club? Sol I wonder? and he was free

greendom wrote: »
    Tne main problem is lettting the contract dwindle to the last year. But if a player won't sign, what can you do ?

Should Wenger have given him more playing time to convince him to stay? And disrupt and excellent centre-back pairing? Not for me.

The people working on the player contract side of things have to wake up. Nasri was close to signing a deal and in the end didn't. What happened? Ashley Cole wanted to sign a new deal for 60,000 a week. It was all but done and they tried to bring it down to 55000 a week. He walked. Why wasn't Sagna offered a new extended contract a couple of years ago?
    It wasn't that long ago Arsenal could keep four central defenders happy. Remember Bould, Adams, Keown and Grimandi. Or in 2001, Adams, Keown, Campbell and Grimandi and Upson.
    Why can we not keep what people say is a 3rd choice now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Vermaelen is a top defender. The problem for him is that he hasn't had a run of games. As a starting player for Utd he could do a very good job for them.

it wasnt long ago that we were singing his praises and welcoming the decision to make him captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think its a disaster selling Verm. to UTD. Van Gaal will get the best from him and I think he is a very good player. He will be one of their best players next season with regular playing time and confidence from a dutch manager. On his last year aswell we will only get about 6-7mil for him. I would deffo rather keep him he is no where near as bad as people make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Anyone worried about Vermahlen going just remember the goal he gifted Van Persie in his first game for united against us. United can have him. Hasnt been much use in over two years.

Gazidis did say he was deep in discussions in relation to transfers...And its only the middle of June...Will we have anyone left??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

jonny666 wrote: »
    Anyone worried about Vermahlen going just remember the goal he gifted Van Persie in his first game for united against us. United can have him. Hasnt been much use in over two years.
    I can't look past that mistake, I remember very little of him playing for us at all other than that game. Completely ruined any confidence I had in him and now I can't even remember him before that. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

The way I see it is that I dont think we are likely to get a better backup Centre half than Vermaelen.
    He also did ok and left back the few times we played him there last season.

Hope he stays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement