Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gosplan wrote: »

Also his scoring record isn't earth shattering and never has been.

For Man City and Milan, his total record is 60 goals in 134 appearances (according to wiki), which is pretty close to 1 in 2. Maybe not earth shattering in the Messi/Ronaldo realm but a very decent return. (he's got 26 goals in 37 starts for Milan in the league)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gazidis did say he was deep in discussions in relation to transfers...And its only the middle of June...Will we have anyone left??

He is, but he meant the transfers of players OUT of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Rumours floating that Bilbao have bid for Monreal also. We'll have no one left at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All those articles say he's agreed a deal but that the clubs haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's the story with Arsenal and Manchester clubs? Its is just the money they will pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Nooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It’s not a done deal until the clubs agree a fee.

10m pounds would be grand for him. He’s never going to sign a new deal considering he’s third choice, and it would clear 4.1m a year off the wage bill towards a younger and better CB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Will there be major regrets if Utd pip Arsenal to 4th next season having sold Vermaelen to them?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Will there be major regrets if Utd pip Arsenal to 4th next season having sold Vermaelen to them?

If we don't get 4th next year there will be major ructions full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS what is it with all the negative waves!!!

There is no deal unless Arsenal agree a fee with United.

Why don't we look at the positives, Joel Campbell looks like he could be a beast if Wenger decides to give him a chance next season.

Chelsea have more or less shot their load with regard to signings, so I don't see them gazumping any of our targets (god I hope I don't regret this!).

I sincerely believe Wenger will be pulling a few Rabbits out of his hat after the WC.

So lets stop with all the negative **** and enjoy watching the Arsenal players perform in the WC.

It is getting worrying the shear amount of players we have to replace, let alone what we need to add to the squad. Doesn't inspire confidence.

We haven't agreed to sell TV yet in any case at least.

greendom wrote: »
    If we don't get 4th next year there will be major ructions full stop.

4th at the very least should be a target but I think, and maybe I'm wrong, that Wenger's not making the signings that Arsenal need to go the distance. The season gone would be a case in point. Arsenal were something like over a 100 days at the top. I suppose nobody can foresee the injuries that ye had. Liverpool had a similar fault - great 11, poor bench. If Wenger doesn't make some serious signings surely then a repeat of last season is not unlikely?

4th at the very least should be a target but I think, and maybe I'm wrong, that Wenger's not making the signings that Arsenal need to go the distance. The season gone would be a case in point. Arsenal were something like over a 100 days at the top. I suppose nobody can foresee the injuries that ye had. Liverpool had a similar fault - great 11, poor bench. If Wenger doesn't make some serious signings surely then a repeat of last season is not unlikely?

Serious signings will be made. Shame we can't make them before we sell off players for all the negative feeling it generates, but we'll just have to accept it and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think, and maybe I'm wrong, that Wenger's not making the signings that Arsenal need to go the distance.
    Yeah, you're wrong. The transfer window hasn't even opened yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Serious signings will be made. Shame we can't make them before we sell off players for all the negative feeling it generates, but we'll just have to accept it and move on

There will be no announcements of deals until the Puma Sponsorship comes into effect on the 1st of July. If the targets are playing in the WC then I would suspect that nothing will be announced until after the 13th of July.

At this rate by then some here will have already worn through their fingernails and most of their fingers with nerves LOL

Yeah, you're wrong. The transfer window hasn't even opened yet.

That's not what I mean't. Last season Ozil was signed and that was a good signing, I think he'll be very important for Arsenal for a good few seasons. Flamini on a free was very good. Don't know what to think of Sanogo yet. After that it's some loan players like Kallstrom.

Now maybe Wenger is perfectly happy with the squad he has, but I remember reading the stories about Wenger having serious money to spend and that Arsenal were going to embark on a spending blitz. And all he adds is Ozil when Arsenal could really do with another striker?

That's not what I mean't. Last season Ozil was signed and that was a good signing, I think he'll be very important for Arsenal for a good few seasons. Flamini on a free was very good. Don't know what to think of Sanogo yet. After that it's some loan players like Kallstrom.

Now maybe Wenger is perfectly happy with the squad he has, but I remember reading the stories about Wenger having serious money to spend and that Arsenal were going to embark on a spending blitz. And all he adds is Ozil when Arsenal could really do with another striker?

I think you can thank Luis Suarez and his entourage for that. We were very close to signing Higuain when he piped up with his release clause. I don't know the ins and outs but it was clear last Summer that he was very keen to get top rated striker. Nothing has changed in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't mind tommy going but if we can't tie up a good young replacement I would just keep him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He did go for two strikers, obviously both moves failed. He'll definitely sign one this summer.

He'd better :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Tommy leaves I'm really worried about this summer.
    I gaurantee it that Martinez will be our second choice gk, Hayden/Pleg will be our third/fourth choice CB, Arteta/Flamini will be our starting DM and could see as the days pass Jenko/Bellerin as our right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I think Jenko deserves a run at the RB slot. I don't think he's ever really let us down to be honest. He's had a couple of clangers but sure so has TV5.

Bring Campbell back, sign another quality CF and get that DM we so badly need.

I'd like to see Monreal sold as I think he's a liability. Who to replace him with though? In AW's world it would be someone that could play CH and LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Raf32 wrote: »
    If Tommy leaves I'm really worried about this summer.
    I gaurantee it that Martinez will be our second choice gk, Hayden/Pleg will be our third/fourth choice CB, Arteta/Flamini will be our starting DM and could see as the days pass Jenko/Bellerin as our right back.

I wouldn't mind pleg been 4th choice CB been honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

me either would love him to be 4th but Hayden as third will be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Roaster wrote: »
    I think Jenko deserves a run at the RB slot. I don't think he's ever really let us down to be honest. He's had a couple of clangers but sure so has TV5.

Bring Campbell back, sign another quality CF and get that DM we so badly need.

I'd like to see Monreal sold as I think he's a liability. Who to replace him with though? In AW's world it would be someone that could play CH and LB.

Thats mad, he is a very good 2nd choice LB, you wont find many as good who will play second fiddle, he can also do a job left mid when needed.

Selling VM to united it mad, 1 we need more CBs not to be selling one and 2 we need to stop having a players going to the other top clubs in England. The club needs to change its perception

Who the hell is pleg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

No beating around the bush here but if we sell Vermaelan to Utd were an absolute joke of a club. We can butter it up all we like that hes not a starter for us but the fact is he will strengthen the hand of a fierce rival no doubt about it. It also give our haters another stick to beat us with. Were like an academy for the big clubs at this stage.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

gandalf wrote: »
    FFS what is it with all the negative waves!!!

There is no deal unless Arsenal agree a fee with United.

Why don't we look at the positives, Joel Campbell looks like he could be a beast if Wenger decides to give him a chance next season.

Chelsea have more or less shot their load with regard to signings, so I don't see them gazumping any of our targets (god I hope I don't regret this!).

I sincerely believe Wenger will be pulling a few Rabbits out of his hat after the WC.

So lets stop with all the negative **** and enjoy watching the Arsenal players perform in the WC.

Yep lets look at the positive side to another Arsenal captain joining Man United for a cut price fee.

I'm so happy! Cant wait until Ramsey joins Liverpool and we get the 20 million! Fantastic days to be a Gooner!

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Oh right, can't say I ever heard of him. Doubt he'd be called up to the first team yet at only 17.

Yep lets look at the positive side to another Arsenal captain joining Man United for a cut price fee.

I'm so happy! Cant wait until Ramsey joins Liverpool and we get the 20 million! Fantastic days to be a Gooner!

Where has anything been said about a fee for Vermaelen?

Oh right, can't say I ever heard of him. Doubt he'd be called up to the first team yet at only 17.

Hadn't heard of him either, hopefully he turns out to be good, but I can't imagine a 17 year old doing a job at CB in the PL. We've a good record with youngsters from Barca though, so who knows.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    No beating around the bush here but if we sell Vermaelan to Utd were an absolute joke of a club. We can butter it up all we like that hes not a starter for us but the fact is he will strengthen the hand of a fierce rival no doubt about it. It also give our haters another stick to beat us with. Were like an academy for the big clubs at this stage.

When the club were handing out contract renewals last season TV wasn't given one. He either wanted more money or wanted to run-down his contract. Not much the club can do in that regard if they don't value the player as highly as he does himself.

The only question is whether we choose to get one more year out of the player and he then strengthen a direct rival for nothing or we sell him now for a few million. RVP revisited.

Where has anything been said about a fee for Vermaelen?

It will definitely be a cut price fee as he is into the last year of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

It will definitely be a cut price fee as he is into the last year of his contract.

And I think Arsenal will take it quite happily considering he would have let it run down anyway and moved for nothing.

• Advertisement

The club need to stop selling players to rivals end of. If that means refusing 5/6/7 million for Verm and letting him walk for free next year so be it.

But the day of selling players to rivals has to stop

In less than a week Wenger has allowed Sagna to go to Man City, Fabregas to go to Chelsea and now our captain Vermaelen to join United. I wish people would take their head out of the sand.

His team will be spent buying replacement CB, RB and GK. If we're lucky we will get a sub standard striker. The team certainly will not improve unless 5-6 good players come in and we all know that wont happen.

The feel good factor has now be squashed by Wengers deluded transfer policy. Just once I'd like to start a season knowing we have had a good transfer window and improved.

In less than a week Wenger has allowed Sagna to go to Man City, Fabregas to go to Chelsea and now our captain Vermaelen to join United. I wish people would take their head out of the sand.

His team will be spent buying replacement CB, RB and GK. If we're lucky we will get a sub standard striker. The team certainly will not improve unless 5-6 good players come in and we all know that wont happen.

The feel good factor has now be squashed by Wengers deluded transfer policy. Just once I'd like to start a season knowing we have had a good transfer window and improved.

All 100% incorrect

Think you should reserve your anger until at least the middle of August. Still early days yet. No point throwing toys out of the pram just yet.

When the club were handing out contract renewals last season TV wasn't given one. He either wanted more money or wanted to run-down his contract. Not much the club can do in that regard if they don't value the player as highly as he does himself.

The only question is whether we choose to get one more year out of the player and he then strengthen a direct rival for nothing or we sell him now for a few million. RVP revisited.

He should be kept for the season. If we sell him it means we need 2 new defenders brought in instead of the 1 and judging by our transfer history even if he is sold to them we will only bring in the 1 defender and leave ourselves short yet again. Its actually embarassing that we are even considering selling our club CAPTAIN to our fiercest rivals.

• Advertisement

He should be kept for the season. If we sell him it means we need 2 new defenders brought in instead of the 1 and judging by our transfer history even if he is sold to them we will only bring in the 1 defender and leave ourselves short yet again. Its actually embarassing that we are even considering selling our club CAPTAIN to our fiercest rivals.

I see your point - is that worth the 8 - 10 million we will probably get for him?
    The answer to that depends on who is brought in instead. If he's equally good or better then take the money and let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Vermaelen wasn't going to sign a new deal anyway. Do you think we cannot get a better cb for 80k a week? Of course we can. If anything I think it's weird that United are going for him. He's dodgy, he's lost the faith of the manager to be a starter, he's injury prone, error prone and positionally weak. He used to score a couple of headers and that papered over the cracks. We'll replace him and then that'll be that. This one isn't a worrying development. Same if monreal goes. It's not an issue. There are plenty of available and able replacements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

keano_afc wrote: »
    If Wenger stays and we go into the summer needing 6-7 players I'll wear a Spurs shirt and learn Yiddish if he brings that many in. Zero chance if Wenger making that kind of recruitment.

Just seen this post from a few month ago keano:)

Corvo wrote: »
    And I think Arsenal will take it quite happily considering he would have let it run down anyway and moved for nothing.

This is the worrying route our club seems to be taken the past few years in selling (to rivals) when they should be keeping players even if it means losing them for nothing the following season. The hierarchy seem to care more about money than the clubs reputation.

I see your point - is that worth the 8 - 10 million we will probably get for him?
    The answer to that depends on who is brought in instead. If he's equally good or better then take the money and let him go.

Like a lot of things so far this summer, namely Sagna leaving and Cesc going to Chelsea, I will live with them if Wenger deals with the problems in the squad.

I won't be happy if Verm leaves as I think he's pretty underrated and will be a beast for United, but if he is replaced adequately then I can live with it.

There's 2 months for the club to sort it out so I will hold my judgement until August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

It really feels that we are putting all our faith in some big signings.

This place will be fun if 1st July deal passes with nothing.... End of the World Cup passes with nothing... etc etc

I am glad I am on holidays at end of August :D

Does anyone seriously believe we will make 5-6 quality signings? Its never happened before and it wont happen now. The absolute bare minimum we need is 1 sub GK, 1 RB, 1 CB and a striker. Thats discounting the fact we'd still only have 3 CBs. A top club should have 4 thats for sure.

Lets play devils advocate for a second, if Wenger signs a GK, 2 CBs , a RB, a DMF, a striker and brings J.Campbell into the squad, I will run through O Connell St bollock naked. Looking at the list and the fact Flamini/Arteta are staying, we can safely discount any notions of a Defensive Midfielder arriving. And I will not be running anywhere.

Does anyone seriously believe we will make 5-6 quality signings?

I don't believe we will but I'm hoping to be proved wrong. I didn't ever expect to see the club spend 42m on a player either and they did that last summer so hopefully they continue to surprise me this year too.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Vermaelen wasn't going to sign a new deal anyway. Do you think we cannot get a better cb for 80k a week? Of course we can. If anything I think it's weird that United are going for him. He's dodgy, he's lost the faith of the manager to be a starter, he's injury prone, error prone and positionally weak. He used to score a couple of headers and that papered over the cracks. We'll replace him and then that'll be that. This one isn't a worrying development. Same if monreal goes. It's not an issue. There are plenty of available and able replacements.

I think thats overly harsh on Verm, he is a lot better than this suggests. I think the bolded part is the key and he could go on to do a really good job for United with a fresh start.

I agree for his salary we could get someone but with Sagna gone losing Verm is an unwanted problem. My fear is if we let two many go it reduces the impact of new signings. We know Arsene wont buy more than 3/4 players the worry is we could be losing that many too so our issues with the squad size doesnt improve even if the quality of the starting 11 does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Soups123 wrote: »
    The club need to stop selling players to rivals end of. If that means refusing 5/6/7 million for Verm and letting him walk for free next year so be it.

But the day of selling players to rivals has to stop

This 100%.
    I respect Dortmund for not letting lewandowski go to Bayern and making him see out his contract. Ok, it cost them in lost transfer money but it was good to see a club show some balls for a change

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement