Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    This 100%.
    I respect Dortmund for not letting lewandowski go to Bayern and making him see out his contract. Ok, it cost them in lost transfer money but it was good to see a club show some balls for a change

Don't agree - it's not very financially astute and that's something you could never level at the the Arsenal board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think thats overly harsh on Verm, he is a lot better than this suggests.

Maybe i'm being too harsh but I cringe when I think of the mistakes he makes, and his poor decisions. He's a very good professional and hasn't whinged about being dropped - i respect him for that. But with an adequate replacement I don't think we'll miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its not good to be regarded as a pushover in the market either, I agree regarding the finances but sometimes you have to make a stand.
    When was the last time we bullied a club in the market or stole a player from under the noses of another club, just to send out a message that we mean business. Other clubs do it on a regular basis*

*prepares for lecture on our financial capabilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

This 100%.
    I respect Dortmund for not letting lewandowski go to Bayern and making him see out his contract. Ok, it cost them in lost transfer money but it was good to see a club show some balls for a change

Look what Liverpool done with Suarez too. He only had a couple of years left on his deal. But they slapped him in the reserves and asked for an apology for his public outburst. Didn't work out too bad for them...It could have possibly cost them 10-20 million for doing that.But the manager and the board recognised that it was a price worth paying to keep the reputation of the club intact and not to be look on as a selling club with a weak recruitment policy with no ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Its not good to be regarded as a pushover in the market either, I agree regarding the finances but sometimes you have to make a stand.
    When was the last time we bullied a club in the market or stole a player from under the noses of another club, just to send out a message that we mean business. Other clubs do it on a regular basis*

*prepares for lecture on our financial capabilities

We only buy players if no one else is in for them at the time - Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla, Ozil on final day of the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I know its not in the makeup of the current board to be as adventurous in the market as id like them to be, but look at Utd, taking RVP off us and Mata off Chelsea, you have to admit they were ballsy moves.
    ffs we couldnt even pry Ba away from Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

When was the last time United sold a sub to a rival? Tevez? I'd happily take Smalling, Hernandez or Kagawa, yet they certainly wouldn't sell them to us for a quick buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

When was the last time United sold a sub to a rival? Tevez? I'd happily take Smalling, Hernandez or Kagawa, yet they certainly wouldn't sell them to us for a quick buck.

Id gladly take Hernandez. He makes great runs I could see him and Ozil striking up a great partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

We just need to get Dick Law on the case this summer. Hopefully he can step up to the plate much like the last time he spent two weeks tracking down and getting Joel Campbell to sign. We can then expect that key signing to play sometime in the next 5years.

Honestly think we're gonna be in for Ballotelli. Hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement

Campbell is 22 next week and just spent a year playing for Olympiacos. Are people really pinning hope on him to counteract the triple whammy that's being reported elsewhere. That's not being "positive", it's being completely and utterly mental.

Bear in mind that replacing Vermaelen (if there's a third choice CB around at the same level) doesn't leave things just as the were, United, who are a major threat for next season will have strengthened.

But hey, maybe next season will be the injury-free season we've all been waiting for.

Thread approaching 100 on the negativity scale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm usually first one on the meltdown, but lads, Vermaelen leaving shouldn't spark off a meltdown of this intensity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'm usually first one on the meltdown, but lads, Vermaelen leaving shouldn't spark off a meltdown of this intensity!

Exactly. The real talking point should be that Utd are buying a player who can't get into our team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Campbell is 22 next week and just spent a year playing for Olympiacos. Are people really pinning hope on him to counteract the triple whammy that's being reported elsewhere. That's not being "positive", it's being completely and utterly mental.

Jebus I hope not, I'd imagine most would see him as a decent squad player for now who has the potential to develop into something more down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

No problem selling him but I do when it is to a direct rival.
    dvemail wrote: »
    Exactly. The real talking point should be that Utd are buying a player who can't get into our team.

To be fair to the lad there is not many centre backs in world football that would get in ahead of Mertesacker and Koscielney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The way we handle our contractual agreements with our players has essentially turned us into a convenience shop for other Premiership clubs. We need to start tying down our players with contracts until they're are about 32, instead of 29/30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah no he is a third/fourth choice forward along with Sanogo.

We still need a forward who is better and faster than Giroud.
    Bear in mind that replacing Vermaelen (if there's a third choice CB around at the same level) doesn't leave things just as the were, United, who are a major threat for next season will have strengthened.

But hey, maybe next season will be the injury-free season we've all been waiting for.

FFS we have to agree to sell him first. I can't believe that people can't see this story for what it is, which is a column filler probably prompt by VM agent trying to get a payday.

gandalf wrote: »
    Ah no he is a third/fourth choice forward along with Sanogo.

We still need a forward who is better and faster than Giroud.
    Exactly, talk of a 3rd choice forward who should be 4th choice if we ever get the finger out and sign someone else being pointed to as potential positive is really looking for any positive to pretend things are going well.
    FFS we have to agree to sell him first. I can't believe that people can't see this story for what it is, which is a column filler probably prompt by VM agent trying to get a payday.
    You think this is a 3rd choice CB already on high pay pushing for a payrise? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

No meltdown in my corner on it just opinion. I agree its not the biggest loss in the world but its selling another player to a rival that I want to see not happen.

Its a mindset the club needs to change

Outside of that I worry how far Arsene would allow himself go to replace sagna & Verm and still bring in the players we initially needed a DM, CF and cover CB. I would worry he wont do all that and we will sell up short somewhere.

Keeping Verm kills to birds with one stone

Exactly, talk of a 3rd choice forward who should be 4th choice if we ever get the finger out and sign someone else being pointed to as potential positive is really looking for any positive to pretend things are going well.

From what I have seen of him in last seasons Champions League and the WC so far he is miles ahead of what we had last season in those positions. So yes that is a positive.
    You think this is a 3rd choice CB already on high pay pushing for a payrise? Really?

Partially yes, along with the fact he wants more playing time. But at the end of the day Arsenal have to agree to sell him. Until we have its a bit premature to be jumping off buildings eh ;)

• Advertisement

From what I have seen of him in last seasons Champions League and the WC so far he is miles ahead of what we had last season in those positions. So yes that is a positive.
    Sorry, you think he should be 4th choice next year yet it's a positive worth talking about?

Partially yes, along with the fact he wants more playing time. But at the end of the day Arsenal have to agree to sell him. Until we have its a bit premature to be jumping off buildings eh ;)
    Jumping off buildings?
    Fabregas to Chelsea is bad for us. "Stop being negative, wait and see." We've waited and we've seen.
    Sagna to City is bad for us. "Stop being negative, wait and see." We've waited and we've seen.
    Vermaelen to United isn't great for us. "Stop being negative, wait and see. Look how well our hopefully 4th choice striker played in a match!".

Sorry, you think he should be 4th choice next year yet it's a positive worth talking about?

Err yes it is an upgrade on Nasty Nic!!

Fabregas to Chelsea is bad for us. "Stop being negative, wait and see." We've waited and we've seen.

I would have preferred if we signed Cesc but his position isn't a priority for us.
    Sagna to City is bad for us. "Stop being negative, wait and see." We've waited and we've seen.

That move has been flagged all season. How is it a surprise. The guy wanted a pay day.
    Vermaelen to United isn't great for us. "Stop being negative, wait and see. Look how well our hopefully 4th choice striker played in a match!".

Again VM leaving has been flagged for a lot of the season. Admittedly not to United and I would certainly prefer if we didn't let him go there. Again it is not a surprise.

Looks like the Vermaelen story is vapourware. Untwist your knickers lads :)

http://www.givemesport.com/476325-thomas-vermaelens-agent-quickly-denies-manchester-united-agreement

I remember the time when Heinze wanted to move from Old Trafford to Liverpool. There was absolutely no hope that United would ever leave that happen. Last year, we wanted Ba from Chelsea on loan. When Ozil came in, the door was shut. Mourinho would not allow a bit-part player strengthen us any more. Our three former captains(if Vermaelen leaves) will be lining up for our direct rivals next year. The reason for all the negativity is due to...well the negativity of this...

Looks like the Vermaelen story is vapourware. Untwist your knickers lads :)

http://www.givemesport.com/476325-thomas-vermaelens-agent-quickly-denies-manchester-united-agreement

Exactly, and whoever first posted that unsubstantiated tabloid nonsense should be shot...

Err yes it is an upgrade on Nasty Nic!!
    All those times last season it would've come in handy!
    I would have preferred if we signed Cesc but his position isn't a priority for us.
    It's still a negative when another team signs a player like him.
    That move has been flagged all season. How is it a surprise. The guy wanted a pay day.
    Again, how does that stop it from having a detrimental affect on the side?
    Again VM leaving has been flagged for a lot of the season. Admittedly not to United and I would certainly prefer if we didn't let him go there. Again it is not a surprise.
    At least your next post clears that up. :P

Just because something was known doesn't make it a good thing. In fact mentioning those things last season was being a big negative bastard.

Jaysus Buttonftw I think you are in desperate need of a hug :p

Go that a look at the World Cup hotties thread it will cheer you up (unless you get the page with the topless Wayne Rooney pic, that might send you over the edge!!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

FFS what is it with all the negative waves!!!

There is no deal unless Arsenal agree a fee with United.

I think you are missing the bigger picture, if the player agrees to the move (which Id say he has in principal, only the fee needs to be sorted) you have lost him already more or less. Whats the alternative keep him and have him moping around the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

We've waited and we've seen.

:confused:

Fabregas move happened what, 4 days ago?

Sagna 3 days ago.

The transfer window isn't even open yet - you haven't waited, and you've seen f*ck all :pac:

greendom wrote: »
    Exactly, and whoever first posted that unsubstantiated tabloid nonsense should be shot...

I'll be amazed if Vermaelen doesn't line up for United next season. The Independent and ESPN are not exactly what I would call "unsubstantiated tabloid nonsense." I would be more inclined to think that Arsenal have got in touch with the agent and asked him to put out a statement of this sort. They done the same with Van Persie. When his European Championships were over, it wasn't long before he went public due to dithering by Arsenal. I suspect this will take the same course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

*See's thread* ..... Nope!

Abandon_thread.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    *See's thread* ..... Nope!

<snip>

I'll see your gif, and raise you another.

eAue1xB.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

If anybody is looking for transfers to happen. Don't bother until July when Puma officially become our shirt sponsors.
    New players are hardly going to pose with an unreleased jersey or the old Nike one.

dvemail wrote: »
    If anybody is looking for transfers to happen. Don't bother until July when Puma officially become our shirt sponsors.
    New players are hardly going to pose with an unreleased jersey or the old Nike one.

This.

Makes no sense whatsoever to do it beforehand.

I'd say they have something prepared for the official unveiling of the puma gear.

maximoose wrote: »
    :confused:

Fabregas move happened what, 4 days ago?

Sagna 3 days ago.

The transfer window isn't even open yet - you haven't waited, and you've seen f*ck all :pac:
    Read the feckin thing. I'm referring to the moves being flagged ages ago and dismissed as not happening. Saying that they would happen was being negative. Then they do happen and it's "Sure we knew it was going to happen.".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

This.

Makes no sense whatsoever to do it beforehand.

I'd say they have something prepared for the official unveiling of the puma gear.

All this negative publicity would give them more impact too when they announce a number of signings together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

To be fair to all the people throwing the toys out of the pram, of which I am often a member. It is quite funny how everyone Wenger seems to be building a team around ends up leaving for direct rivals.

Main problem I have now is I don't think Ozil is better than Cesc. I sat in the emirates staring at Ozil all season and he is so weak sometimes. He needs so much time on the ball to do the right thing and he needs to be facing the right way. With a bit more time and more options he would be super but we really need to build around him. Cesc is more readymade for me.

I think the other issue is there may be a chance that Wenger has totally lost the plot. Like we all know its not totally beyond possibility. This would be 2 captains at United in 2 years, another captain at Chelsea! Mad enough really. He also seems to be getting more stubborn as time goes on, tactically and all that.

Credit to him for being such a man of his word and sticking to his guns when many would crumble but is it actually going to yield any big rewards.

I'm not too worried about TV anyway, when our main men are fit he won't be playing and he is a bit wishy washy for a CB. A poor man's Luiz. I think he will go to United, he is great mates with RVP and he won't be staying with us unless Kos or BFG break their leg and I certainly hope that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We only buy players if no one else is in for them at the time - Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla, Ozil on final day of the transfer window.

How do we know no one else was in for them? Also if true what bearing does that have? For example If we believe the papers Chelsea sold Mata to United and no one else wanted Mata does that mean Mata is a sub standard player?
    I remember the time when Heinze wanted to move from Old Trafford to Liverpool. There was absolutely no hope that United would ever leave that happen. Last year, we wanted Ba from Chelsea on loan. When Ozil came in, the door was shut. Mourinho would not allow a bit-part player strengthen us any more. Our three former captains(if Vermaelen leaves) will be lining up for our direct rivals next year. The reason for all the negativity is due to...well the negativity of this...

Chelsea sold Mata to United in January strengthening a rival, only in Arsenal would the possibility of a player who sits on our bench going to a rival be worthy of a melt down.

Most clubs including United would laugh it off as us taking there cast offs.

I agree it wouldn't be ideal letting Verm go not because of the chance he may end up at United it would just leave us needing to bring in more players and Verm is a decent option on the bench but it's not worthy of a meltdown either. It's not like were selling Kos to a rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ozil playing false no 9 today interesting.

Probably not the best idea imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

See Sunderland are being linked with Ashley Williams that could be a decent signing for us, in fact I think we were linked with him last summer, anyone be keen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ramsey for captain next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

L'prof wrote: »
    Ramsey for captain next season?

BFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mertesacker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Does ozil look more beefed up or is it my imagination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Has to be Mert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Would love Muller. Pity he just ruled out moving anywhere.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pod is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's not like were selling Kos to a rival.

Still too early to be sure :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If people can't see the difference between RVP going to Utd and the movements of Fab and Verm this year, then you have gone full retard.

FFS it's a player we don't want and somekne else who can't get into our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Also lets not forget Chelsea did recently sell mata to manu too, so this sort of thing isn't exactly exclusive to us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement