Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Its just another player we will have to replace. As well as Wenger thinking 3 is the most a team should bring in, all we will be doing is replacing who we lose which will be bitterly disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

10453350_921215501223100_2832118438738145250_n.jpg

He's a gas man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jaafa wrote: »
    Also lets not forget Chelsea did recently sell mata to manu too, so this sort of thing isn't exactly exclusive to us.

...and they sold Sturridge to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And luiz to PSG.
    Got in Matic Cesc and one or two others so tis great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Everyone is saying that the puma deal takes effect from July 1st, is this the day of the shirt unveiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Everyone is saying that the puma deal takes effect from July 1st, is this the day of the shirt unveiling?

yep pretty much. There are rumours that we are keeping some signings back until then. Could be rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Vermaelen to United???! WTF!?

I think those writing him off are a bit delusional and trying to soften the blow and justify him leaving. He's a quality defender and allowing him to leave to a direct rival is inexplicable. And just because something was rumoured for a long time doesn't mean we can't express how many of us are not happy about this. Weakening ourselves and strengthening rivals is the bottom line here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Vermaelen to United???! WTF!?

Why would he want to play for seventh placed team?

Why would he want to play for seventh placed team?

United are only going move upwards after last seasons disaster.. An extended run in the team and he would cement his place in the team ahead of Jones, Evans, Smalling any day of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

United are only going move upwards after last seasons disaster.. An extended run in the team and he would cement his place in the team ahead of Jones, Evans, Smalling any day of the week

In fairness that's not hard there all Shiite

• Advertisement

In fairness that's not hard there all Shiite

We all know they're ****e.. He asked why he would join united.. Because he is better than those lads and Rio/Vids need to be replaced.. I'll be sickened if this goes through..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We all know they're ****e.. He asked why he would join united.. Because he is better than those lads and Rio/Vids need to be replaced.. I'll be sickened if this goes through..

Relax the cax :) it probably won't happen and if it does there taking a player who can't get near our starting eleven, he may strengthen there defence but it would still be weaker than ours.

Really can't get people having a meltdown over Verm possibly going.

Save the meltdowns for August 31st if it's justified no point yet, long summer left. A lot in here will end up having strokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Relax the cax :) it probably won't happen and if it does there taking a player who can't get near our starting eleven, he may strengthen there defence but it would still be weaker than ours.

Really can't get people having a meltdown over Verm possibly going.

Save the meltdowns for August 31st if it's justified no point yet, long summer left. A lot in here will end up having strokes.

The issue isn't really that he is leaving, more that's it's to a rival and is now yet another player that will need replacing. We needed 3 or 4 new signings before we lost anyone. We'll need easily 6 at this rate, something I don't think anybody can see Wenger doing.

Is it just me that actually finds it satisfying that United could be considering making a player who's not good enough for our starting 11 one of their first choice players? Those saying that Bac going to City and Vermaelen going to United is just a continuation of us selling players to rivals seem to be missing the most important point - now we are only selling players to our rivals that are either past their best or not good enough for us. I'm confident there will be no more Nasris or RVPs and our best players will have no need to go to rivals to win trophies because they will have the chance to do this at the Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is it just me that actually finds it satisfying that United could be considering making a player who's not good enough for our starting 11 one of their first choice players? Those saying that Bac going to City and Vermaelen going to United is just a continuation of us selling players to rivals seem to be missing the most important point - now we are only selling players to our rivals that are either past their best or not good enough for us. I'm confident there will be no more Nasris or RVPs and our best players will have no need to go to rivals to win trophies because they will have the chance to do this at the Arsenal.

That's not the point at all.
    The fact is that we already need about 5 players inc a CB even with Vermaillen.
    If he goes then we need two CB's as well. Sagna was covering two positions RB and CB if and when needed.
    Posters suggesting an untried 17 year old as cover for experienced CB's are totally delusional in my opinion.
    Anyway I sincerely doubt Verm is going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Really dont share your thoughts there tbh....

In my opinion, It is becoming glaringly clear that top clubs are getting increasingly emboldened in their attempts to poach players from Arsenal just because there is an understanding that the decision makers at Arsenal are most likely to put business above the club future and prospects.

You might find it satisfying that Man U want our current captain but I personally find it despicable. Verm did not play well last season but on the whole I think he is an asset to the club if he can get more playing time and rebuild his self confidence. Two seasons ago, he was a HERO at arsenall...The fact that we have lost two (?) previous captains is a cause for great concern. It shows lack of continuity and character; what example is the club showing to the current players?

You claim that we sell players that are past their prime to rivals- really? I dont think RVP, Nasri or even Sagna are past their prime years at all. The current methodology adopted by Arsene and the board will only lead to the exodus of the few talents we have at the moment. If this trend continues, we will be having this same discussion about Ramsey/ Walcotts exit in a years time and to be frank, I will not blame them at all. Why would a player stay in a club unnecessarily and consistently remodelling itself with no end purpose in sight?

Sorry for the long post but if Verm leaves, it means we would need at least 4/5 quality players to compete for 4th place next season. We all know know it wont happen because it will be about business at the end of the day:(

It so easy to shout down at any opposing voice but I think deep down, most fans find Arsenal's transfer/recruitment policy largely shambolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Really dont share your thoughts there tbh....

In my opinion, It is becoming glaringly clear that top clubs are getting increasingly emboldened in their attempts to poach players from Arsenal just because there is an understanding that the decision makers at Arsenal are most likely to put business above the club future and prospects.

You might find it satisfying that Man U want our current captain but I personally find it despicable. Verm did not play well last season but on the whole I think he is an asset to the club if he can get more playing time and rebuild his self confidence. Two seasons ago, he was a HERO at arsenall...The fact that we have lost two (?) previous captains is a cause for great concern. It shows lack of continuity and character; what example is the club showing to the current players?

You claim that we sell players that are past their prime to rivals- really? I dont think RVP, Nasri or even Sagna are past their prime years at all. The current methodology adopted by Arsene and the board will only lead to the exodus of the few talents we have at the moment. If this trend continues, we will be having this same discussion about Ramsey/ Walcotts exit in a years time and to be frank, I will not blame them at all. Why would a player stay in a club unnecessarily and consistently remodelling itself with no end purpose in sight?

Sorry for the long post but if Verm leaves, it means we would need at least 4/5 quality players to compete for 4th place next season. We all know know it wont happen because it will be about business at the end of the day:(

It so easy to shout down at any opposing voice but I think deep down, most fans find Arsenal's transfer/recruitment policy largely shambolic.

I didn't include Nasri and RVP in that list. I believe Sagna is past his best and Vermaelen isn't good enough for our starting 11. The bottom line is that we can't keep players that want to leave. You can blame the club for letting Sagna go but would you have been happy with us paying him the wages City are going to pay him? I wouldn't as I think that money could be better invested in his replacement. It's alright saying "just pay them what they want" but we're not Chelsea or City that can have back up defenders on 150k a week. For all we know, Vermaelen could be looking for guarantees of game time and/or better wages to stay. We can't and shouldn't guarantee him either. I'll agree that if he goes and isn't replaced then it's not good enough but if we can get 10m for him and reinvest it then I wouldn't have a problem with where he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Don't rate Vermaelen to be honest, been a liability in most games for a couple of seasons. Wouldn't bother me if he went to United, think he'll be found out there too. He's not going to be miraculously better at United. Just going for games imo.

watching the USA games here, what do people think of Michael Bradley? Apparently he nearly signed for us in January...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Id be fairly disappointed if we sell Vermaelen, especially to United. Hes a good centre back and a great back up option aswell. Cant go replacing half our defence in one summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

KINGVictor wrote: »

Yup, 100%. It is and has been for some time.

Maybe it'll change this season, maybe it won't. If not then I think hitting meltdown button circa early August is pretty justified. 31/8/14 is about 4 games into the season ffs.

So who'd be our 3rd and 4th choice CBs if Vermaelen left? Sagna? :pac:

cson wrote: »

Maybe it'll change this season, maybe it won't. If not then I think hitting meltdown button circa early August is pretty justified. 31/8/14 is about 4 games into the season ffs.
    1/8 is the time I'll start off properly :P

1/7 is the time being touted now by others as the cut-off point because of sponsorship, hopefully they're right and the usual backing down doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

How did our german contingent play today?

Ozil was pretty poor for an attacking player on a side who won easily.
    Mertesacker had little to do.
    Podolski wasn't exactly sent on to be a game-changer. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

The Mirror are reporting that we are trying to bring Cleverly in!

Its been a right trolling summer so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

ronjo wrote: »
    The Mirror are reporting that we are trying to bring Cleverly in!

Its been a right trolling summer so far :D

First in.......

That's it I'm fcuking sick of Wenger, Cleverly fcuking Cleverley ' Wenger Out'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Ozil was pretty poor for an attacking player on a side who won easily.
    Mertesacker had little to do.
    Podolski wasn't exactly sent on to be a game-changer. :P

Thought ozil had a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Can't wait to see Buttonftw's reaction to that Cleverley story, I predict a full melt down scenario ;)

(LOL Cleverley jaysus I'd expect even the Mirror to make more of an effort!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cson wrote: »

Proper order. The season starts in the middle of August, not Sep 1st. The window opens on July 1st. Plenty of time to do business, if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Santi saying he will deal with club situation after world cup.

Could be a possibly of him leaving reading these quotes.

Can't leave the link because I'm new here boards won't let me.

One of the quotes:

"I don’t want to be thinking about it right now and I’ve told my agents not to tell me anything if an offer comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

It shouldn't even be up for debate. He signed a new contract in March. He's not for sale.

Don't sign a new contract if you want to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

shano_88 wrote: »
    It shouldn't even be up for debate. He signed a new contract in March. He's not for sale.

He's not going anywhere - Santi that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

On this day in 1997, we signed Marc Overmars, Emmanuel Petit and Gilles Grimandi

Who said we dont do business early :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yep, media in overdrive say we looking at Smalling & Cleverly for Verm. Verm is twice the player Smalling is even without confindence, and Cleverly is a trainwreck TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

shano_88 wrote: »

Wouldn't be up for debate either if he gave a more committed response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is it ever about trophies? My guess it is all about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

greendom wrote: »
    He's not going anywhere - Santi that is.

hope not, but i don't like his wishy-washy response.
    If I was Wenger i'd be demanding 100% commitment in everything, including in comments to the media.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    hope not, but i don't like his wishy-washy response.
    If I was Wenger i'd be demanding 100% commitment in everything, including in comments to the media.

Who is reporting these "quotes" though. We are right in the middle of silly season and tbh we already know quite a few of the rags make up storys to fill blank space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

see we're linked with Cleverley.

Fantastic news.

Silly season is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Nani now as well, as part of a deal for Vermaelen. I'd rather a kick in the nuts than take any of them united rejects.

Can't wait for the Moyes for Wenger stories :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Rio Ferdi is doing nothing lets get him in.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

If Cazorla does leave, I hope we replace him with Draxler, though, I wouldn't argue with having him, Draxler and Griezmann in the squad, or maybe I'm just being greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Speaking of Draxler, he confirmed to Ornstein that we did make a bid for him in January but he decided to stay and play with Shalke a while longer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Glad to see the Balotelli rumours gathering pace :)

As for he Cleverly/Smalling in part exchange for Vermaelan stories. These player exchange rumour stories hardly ever happen, but I guess I would be ok with Smalling as a squad player. Cleverly though, no thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Feck off, you're not getting Mario!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seaneh wrote: »
    Feck off, you're not getting Mario!

Seaneh, you're probably the one to ask about Mario in fairness (sorry). Obviously by that post you don't want him to go, but what is your overall opinion of him? Do you think his temperament has improved at all? Is his poor conversion % due to him taking ridiculous shots all the time rather than being a poor finisher in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Seaneh, you're probably the one to ask about Mario in fairness (sorry). Obviously by that post you don't want him to go, but what is your overall opinion of him? Do you think his temperament has improved at all? Is his poor conversion % due to him taking ridiculous shots all the time rather than being a poor finisher in general?

Taking ridiculous shots all the time is not exactly a plus though. That would result in plenty of lost possession when the team was in a decent attacking position.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Glad to see the Balotelli rumours gathering pace :)
    They are?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement