Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Chelsea, Everton, Spurs and Man City in the first 7 games along with CL qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

egghead. wrote: »
    Chelsea, Everton, Spurs and Man City in the first 7 games along with CL qualifiers.

Cant be leaving business until August 31st this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I like that. Best to play them early on if at all possible.
    I doubt it will be the same next year, but last season both Chelsea and City were piss poor starting off. Repeat of the same hopefully and we can catch them while they are cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Watching South Korea last night, I still don't understand how Park never played for us. I've seen a whole lot worse play for us over the years and the whole thing just seems totally bizarre. He still looks handy enough, not amazing or anything but we could have used him in a few games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

farna_boy wrote: »
    Watching South Korea last night, I still don't understand how Park never played for us. I've seen a whole lot worse play for us over the years and the whole thing just seems totally bizarre. He still looks handy enough, not amazing or anything but we could have used him in a few games this year.

my feeling is he was bought for jersey sales in Asia 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Everton (A), City(H), Spurs(H) and Chelsea(A) in the first 7 games is a very tough run IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

farna_boy wrote: »

Didn't we rob him from under Lille's noses? i reckon it was revenge for not selling Hazzard to us, back fired though obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Didn't we rob him from under Lille's noses? i reckon it was revenge for not selling Hazzard to us, back fired though obviously.

Could have been revenge for selling us Gervinho too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Everton (A), City(H), Spurs(H) and Chelsea(A) in the first 7 games is a very tough run IMO.

Better to have it towards the start rather than later on in the season when the injuries pile up at least.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Could have been revenge for selling us Gervinho too :pac:

Haha, i must be the only one who actually liked Gervinho. Looks like he had a decent season this year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Haha, i must be the only one who actually liked Gervinho. Looks like he had a decent season this year as well.

ah i didnt mind him either, he had good stats this year but saw him a few nights ago and although he got a goal, he has to be one of the most awkward footballers ever :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Do you guys actually welcome the Balotelli talk?? I mean i know he has moments of quality but i just think his personality is the opposite of what an Arsenal player should be, i like to think we have hard working, home grown/cheap honest players who simply play the game the way it was meant to be played, as a team. Balotelli, is not hard working, he will no doubt be expensive and he's far from honest, or a team player, i just don't think he would suit, also getting sent off and doing stupid **** all the time isn't going to help our chances of winning a major title.

To be fair tho, i don't think Wenger will sign him, definitively not his type, someone like Sanchez or Higuain would be a much better choice in my opinion. Also why does there also seem to be talk of Wenger buying a CM? like seriously of all the positions we need cover for, CM is not one of them. So frustrating.

Didn't we sign park way before hazard left?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Do you guys actually welcome the Balotelli talk?? I mean i know he has moments of quality but i just think his personality is the opposite of what an Arsenal player should be, i like to think we have hard working, home grown/cheap honest players who simply play the game the way it was meant to be played, as a team. Balotelli, is not hard working, he will no doubt be expensive and he's far from honest, or a team player, i just don't think he would suit, also getting sent off and doing stupid **** all the time isn't going to help our chances of winning a major title.

To be fair tho, i don't think Wenger will sign him, definitively not his type, someone like Sanchez or Higuain would be a much better choice in my opinion. Also why does there also seem to be talk of Wenger buying a CM? like seriously of all the positions we need cover for, CM is not one of them. So frustrating.

It hasnt exactly brought us success though, so maybe someone like Balotelli is just what we need.

Didn't we sign park way before hazard left?

Was it not the same window? could be wrong but, regardless, disastrous signing.

• Advertisement

Was it not the same window? could be wrong but, regardless, disastrous signing.

Nah he signed in 2011, hazard was 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is all great if you want to play airyfairy football and not compete at the highest level. Wenger needs to sign winners. Petit/Veira/Keown/Bergkamp etc all had there moments of madness but we had a lot more trophies for it

To put it bluntly I think he has sorted his life out.

He seems a lot more subdued. It's easy to forget he's only 23, at the height of his idiocy he was 20/21 and it's both reasonable and fair to say he has matured since then.

This year he made 30 appearances and got one red card. The year before, he made 13 without getting sent off. That's 2 years at Milan with one sending off. Of course we could do better in that regard but we need a bit of flair as well - I think Higuain is out for sure but Sanchez would be alright. Either I would gladly take.

keano_afc wrote: »
    It hasnt exactly brought us success though, so maybe someone like Balotelli is just what we need.

Well, it hasn't brought us success in the trophy cabinet, but we have one of the best reputations in the world, for playing FOOTBALL and we are always up there challenging. I for one would rather watch my team play fantastic football, grab a top four spot, beat a Barcelona or a Munich with far inferior players and with an unbelievably low spend aswell rather than have wenger go buy a team and win everything. But i do agree with your point, we need more up front, i just don't don't think Balloteli is the right one.
    Soups123 wrote: »
    This is all great if you want to play airyfairy football and not compete at the highest level. Wenger needs to sign winners. Petit/Veira/Keown/Bergkamp etc all had there moments of madness but we had a lot more trophies for it
    I have no problem with tough mother f***ers infact i agree that we need them! it's something we have lacked for years, however their is a fine line between tough and idiotic, and i think Balloteli is the latter.
    To put it bluntly I think he has sorted his life out.

He seems a lot more subdued. It's easy to forget he's only 23, at the height of his idiocy he was 20/21 and it's both reasonable and fair to say he has matured since then.

This year he made 30 appearances and got one red card. The year before, he made 13 without getting sent off. That's 2 years at Milan with one sending off. Of course we could do better in that regard but we need a bit of flair as well - I think Higuain is out for sure but Sanchez would be alright. Either I would gladly take.

Yeah it would seem he has come a long way from his city days, but the serie a and the pl are very different, i just think he's a ticking time bomb, his fuse is too short and i personally would not like him at Arsenal, however if he comes and proves me wrong i wouldn't exactly be upset!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Being linked with Lavezzi now today. Another name for the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

At home we can take City and Spurs. It's the Away games to Everton and Chelsea that worry me.

I for one would rather watch my team play fantastic football, grab a top four spot, beat a Barcelona or a Munich with far inferior players and with an unbelievably low spend aswell rather than have wenger go buy a team and win everything.

I don't mean this in a condescending way but this is the kind of attitude that most of the regulars here are pretty much tired of. We seem to always settle for mediocrity as long as it pays the bills. We should be (and could have been/would be if we had kept all of our star players) competing with the likes of Bayern and Barcelona, not be seen as underdogs with far inferior players trying desperately to turn them over. We're the 5th richest club in the world, and we should act like it. What we certainly are not is mid-table fodder hoping to "cause an upset" against the big boys. Broadly speaking we have everything we need to compete with those teams at the moment except for a top class striker, and maybe a DM and right back. We shouldn't be settling for 4th year in year out, that isn't ambitious for a club like this, just stagnation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Being linked with Lavezzi now today. Another name for the list

I wouldn't really be too happy if we signed him, yes of course he's a good player but he's 29. We need to get a forward who is 26 max and will serve us for a good few years.

I don't mean this in a condescending way but this is the kind of attitude that most of the regulars here are pretty much tired of. We seem to always settle for mediocrity as long as it pays the bills. We should be (and could have been if we had kept all of our star players) competing with the likes of Bayern and Barcelona, not be seen as underdogs with far inferior players trying desperately to turn them over. We're the 5th richest club in the world, and we should act like it. What we certainly are not is mid-table fodder hoping to "cause an upset" against the big boys. Broadly speaking we have everything we need to compete with those teams at the moment except for a top class striker, and maybe a DM and right back. We shouldn't be settling for 4th year in year out, that isn't ambitious for a club like this, just stagnation.

No I completely understand, and i would have been much like the regulars on here for the past few years, however i gave up on Wenger, and i gave up on being a top team, so i'm happy to watch Arsenal play good football and i'm excited when we play big teams without worrying too much about the cost of losing.

Wenger has had so many chances to sign massive players and he has signed some of the worst "top flight" players i've ever seen, he makes scandalous calls with his starting 11 and he always has some pussy excuse when we lose, his time is up. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him being that i was such a huge fan through 98-06 but i can't defend him anymore. Until Wenger goes i will settle for 4th because i know it's too unrealistic to expect any better with him in charge.

No I completely understand, and i would have been much like the regulars on here for the past few years, however i gave up on Wenger, and i gave up on being a top team, so i'm happy to watch Arsenal play good football and i'm excited when we play big teams without worrying too much about the cost of losing.

Wenger has had so many chances to sign massive players and he has signed some of the worst "top flight" players i've ever seen, he makes scandalous calls with his starting 11 and he always has some pussy excuse when we lose, his time is up. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him being that i was such a huge fan through 98-06 but i can't defend him anymore. Until Wenger goes i will settle for 4th because i know it's too unrealistic to expect any better with him in charge.

I see where you're coming from but with this attitude in mind would you not be all for Wenger taking a few chances in the transfer market? I'd certainly rather 25m be thrown at Balotelli and have him flop than that money be kept "safe" so it can line the boards pockets. If it works out great, if not Wenger is out on his ass, win win surely? For me personally, I would have agreed with you up until last summer. In fairness to him he did come through with Ozil so I'm hoping for more of the same. The January window was a right cock up alright but if he makes amends now he deserves another shot.

I will be seriously pissed if we're starting with Remy or Giroud in August. **** that. We need a big name striker to get the fans riled up. I am 100% sure that if Balotelli gets the attention he wants from the fans he'll be as loyal as a dog to his bone. Obviously that's debatable but it's just what I think.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Balotelli to score the winner at Old Trafford in the penultimate game to win us the league. 1-1 going in to injury time, Greizmann gets clear down the left, sends in a cross which is headed back by Draxler for Balo to score. He rips off his skin tight Puma jersey to reveal a t-shirt with "yes me again" written on it. RvP is seen off camera mouthing "I want to go back".

I'm off for a lie down.

What i want to know is, who is tall enough to jump over Balotelli when he gets the winner akin to what Kanu done to Wiltord all those years ago? :)

Giroud?

I see where you're coming from but with this attitude in mind would you not be all for Wenger taking a few chances in the transfer market? I'd certainly rather 25m be thrown at Balotelli and have him flop than that money be kept "safe" so it can line the boards pockets. If it works out great, if not Wenger is out on his ass, win win surely? For me personally, I would have agreed with you up until last summer. In fairness to him he did come through with Ozil so I'm hoping for more of the same. The January window was a right cock up alright but if he makes amends now he deserves another shot.

I will be seriously pissed if we're starting with Remy or Giroud in August. **** that. We need a big name striker to get the fans riled up. I am 100% sure that if Balotelli gets the attention he wants from the fans he'll be as loyal as a dog to his bone. Obviously that's debatable but it's just what I think.

I dont. I think the posts are all over the place.

What i want to know is, who is tall enough to jump over Balotelli when he gets the winner akin to what Kanu done to Wiltord all those years ago? :)

Giroud?

BFG of course :D

ronjo wrote: »
    BFG of course :D

And the sheer delight on the face of Tim the Gooner Sherwood in the stand :D

I'm all for Wenger taking chances in the transfer market i just don't believe that he will. "rather 25m be thrown at Balotelli " Yes i rather 25 mill on Balloteli then be kept safe but i also rather 25mill be thrown at a dozen other strikers instead. Like you said we should be one of the top clubs in the world, all we need is a top striker, but why has Wenger denied us of this for so long? Yes Van Persie was word class, WHEN he was fit, but were overdue a world class striker and i just don't think Balloteli is enough, i hope i'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Giroud?

per_mertesacker___the_big_f_cking_german_by_albertgfx-d731246.jpg

I'd be happy enough with Balotelli, unlikely to lose money selling him on if he wasn't happy or settling. We haven't had that kind of player in a while.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd be happy enough with Balotelli, unlikely to lose money selling him on if he wasn't happy or settling. We haven't had that kind of player in a while.

Yea there's a god chance he'll get better too imo. Plus I kind of like the cockiness/arrogance of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea there's a god chance he'll get better too imo. Plus I kind of like the cockiness/arrogance of him.

Yep you need that in a forward along with the skill obviously. Unfortunately NickyB had only one of those attributes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Balotelli would be great for us I think. Hes not as much of an idiot as he was and he certainly has the talent. He ticks all the boxes really tbh. Only question mark is his attitude and id trust Wenger to make that decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

jonny666 wrote: »
    Balotelli would be great for us I think. Hes not as much of an idiot as he was and he certainly has the talent. He ticks all the boxes really tbh. Only question mark is his attitude and id trust Wenger to make that decision

Not to mention his incredible feat of scoring 26 consecutive penalties. I cringe when I see Ozil taking one because it reminded me of the home game against Bayern, where we dominated them for the first 10 - 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Apart from him being the other type of forward to the one we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I can't understand why Wenger didn't sign Fabregas and just sell Cazorla.

Fabregas would have been an upgrade on Cazorla as he is younger and has better stats over the past three seasons.

I know people are saying there was no point in signing Fabregas because we already had enough AMC's but what would have been wrong with selling one player to make room for another???

Whereas once we were in a situation where we were more or less forced to sell players, now we have the luxury of choosing to sell players and as much as I love Cazorla, selling him in order to get Fabregas would have been ideal and makes much more sense.

Either way, that's in the past.
    As for Balotelli, well I can see what he would bring to us, but surely he isn't what we need in terms of striking attributes?

Dapics wrote: »
    Either way, that's in the past.
    As for Balotelli, well I can see what he would bring to us, but surely he isn't what we need in terms of striking attributes?

You don't think we need a striker that's quick and skilful and can score from individual moments of magic?

• Advertisement

You don't think we need a striker that's quick and skilful and can score from individual moments of magic?

How exactly am I supposed to answer that question?

The total benefit to the team will be the difference between how much Balotelli outperforms Giroud.

We still have no one with real pace, that can run at defenders and that can play off a big front man.

Our formation is 4-2-3-1 with Balotelli or Giroud up front and there's no possible variation.

Add to all this the fact that he's only ever looked good in Italy or playing for Italy.

gosplan wrote: »
    How exactly am I supposed to answer that question?

The total benefit to the team will be the difference between how much Balotelli outperforms Giroud.

We still have no one with real pace, that can run at defenders and that can play off a big front man.

Our formation is 4-2-3-1 with Balotelli or Giroud up front and there's no possible variation.

Add to all this the fact that he's only ever looked good in Italy or playing for Italy.

I didn't ask you the question :confused:

It was in reference to him not being the right style of striker, whereas I think he is.

[edit] Whether or not he'd be a significant improvement for us is a different question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Throw Sanogo on, 442, be grand like (worked before) :pac:

Everyone crying\turning their noses up a remy, there's your pace there + walcott, ox. Ramsey breaking into the box.
    Plus isn't that what people think will help özil more too?
    They'll be few better value players transferred between English clubs than remy

And balotelli isn't that slow, who is compared to olly g

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He looked good for Man City too imo. Was always dangerous when he played, just his attitude that made him look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Balotelli's quick. Had no issues playing on the wing in his earlier days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Balotelli isn't as quick as Theo, but not many are. He isn't a slouch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If button's happy, then I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If button's happy, then I'm happy!

Buttons never happy.. He's just mildly content :pac:

I didn't ask you the question :confused:

It was in reference to him not being the right style of striker, whereas I think he is.

[edit] Whether or not he'd be a significant improvement for us is a different question

Sorry, it was in reference to the 'you don't think ...' question.

Of course we need skilful players. Maybe it was just a rhetorical question and I didn't pick it up.

My main point though is if we're in the market for a striker should we be looking to spend 30 million just to replace Giroud?

It doesn't matter what we think though. Wenger has said he's looking for the striker that can play 'with or without Giroud'.

That's not Balotelli, it's not Benzema, despite the fact that both of these may have been an improvement.

gosplan wrote: »
    Sorry, it was in reference to the 'you don't think ...' question.

Of course we need skilful players. Maybe it was just a rhetorical question and I didn't pick it up.

My main point though is if we're in the market for a striker should we be looking to spend 30 million just to replace Giroud?

It doesn't matter what we think though. Wenger has said he's looking for the striker that can play 'with or without Giroud'.

That's not Balotelli, it's not Benzema, despite the fact that both of these may have been an improvement.

Well I'm not sure who you'd be looking to sign that can play with Giroud. In any case, I doubt we'll be changing formation to accommodate two up top all that often.

I wouldn't read too much into what Arsene said either, he's hardly going to say 'I want a striker to replace Giroud'. And besides, Benzema has already played in the same team with Giroud before.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Would anyone take Gary Medel as a CDM?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement