Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looper007 wrote: »
    lads we need to wait until the World cup is over before talk heats up on Transfer's, don't be so downbeat about the transfer talk it's always quiet during this time.

Just speculating sure, it's not like there's loads going on with the club to be talking about. Every superthread is focused on transfers at the moment, though I'm pretty sure the Liverpool thread were talking about ice lollies or a few pages the other day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If we went into next season with 2 CBs and the only cover being a DM I'd be pretty disappointed tbh.

Id be very worried.
    If we cannot find a suitable backup cb the club should be strong and hold verm to his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just speculating sure, it's not like there's loads going on with the club to be talking about. Every superthread is focused on transfers at the moment, though I'm pretty sure the Liverpool thread were talking about ice lollies or a few pages the other day :P

:pac: I know, I just don't want any of you guys having nervous breakdowns about these things right now after July 13th that's the time to get nervous. I haven't heard any news anyone at the moment, look at Arsenal TV transfer daily on youtube every day. But I'm sure we make the signings we need.

Wanted to ask do you expect any of the Arsenal youths to step up to the first team next season? who would be your favourite to make that big step?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd like to think we'll be seeing more of Zelalem in the carling cup and that. I have a feeling we might see Bellerin coming into the fringes of the squad too.

Would hope to see Gnabry continue his development too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Wanted to ask do you expect any of the Arsenal youths to step up to the first team next season? who would be your favourite to make that big step?

Gnabry is the only player i'd trust in the first team.

As zelalem matures physically we'll see more of him. I've high hopes for bellerin.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Gnabry is the only player i'd trust in the first team.

hearing great things on Dan Crowley, wonder if we see him get a few run outs. Gnarby is the one I want to really see step it up next season.

I'd like to think we'll be seeing more of Zelalem in the carling cup and that. I have a feeling we might see Bellerin coming into the fringes of the squad too.

Would hope to see Gnabry continue his development too.

I hope Zelalem is doing the weights this summer, he needs to build himself up but like the look of hm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I appreciate the stats, different players different leagues different teams, it would be interesting to see how many games those players played as oppose to Giroud who hardly missed any, i would welcome Sanchez or Benzema with open arms, Sanchez has players like Messi and neymar banging in what 50+ goals between so 19 is quite impressive and could easily go way up at a team like Arsenal.

You're fully right here but you also need to look at the other teams.

Were those other forwards constantly dropping deep to collect the ball and try lots of flicks and short passes to bring in a midfield that was just too far away.

I guess I just feel Giroud did OK for a big CF that had no-one bar Sagna attempting crosses and a number of balls cut back from the byline over the year that you could count on one hand.

There are better strikers than Giroud for that position, sure. But they won't do a whole lot better unless we're getting the ball to them in the right areas.

Wally's fitness should help this bit if he's still out and we have no other actual wingers bar Gnabry and Campell, I'll be fairly pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

There's Kalou on now for Ivory Coast, aren't we signing him this summer? ;-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

AdamD wrote: »
    Aurier looks great for Ivory Coast

If we do get him, maybe we shouldn't let him take the corners....

Hah good man Gerv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The Gerv like Messi there

Wonder if we have a buy back like Vela

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Aurier has been immense. Really impressed with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

shano_88 wrote: »

He looks a very good full back hopefully we are in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That Aurier fella is quality. Were going to have big competition for his signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    imagine being a Leeds United fan right now...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27902486

Dave Hockaday is their new manager, only ever managed Forest Green in the Conference!!

Ah what about Nagoya Grampus Eight managed by Arsene who?

Arsene has a track record with Monaco and was a respected coach Tayto.

Many posters seem to be raving about balotelli.
    I don't know much about him other than when he played for City.
    He seems to be very skillful and a good goal-scorer but he also struck me as a bit lazy, very temperamental and always on the verge of a hissy fit.
    Don't think he's Wenger's type of player at all.
    Maybe he's changed.

• Advertisement

Many posters seem to be raving about balotelli.
    I don't know much about him other than when he played for City.
    He seems to be very skillful and a good goal-scorer but he also struck me as a bit lazy, very temperamental and always on the verge of a hissy fit.
    Don't think he's Wenger's type of player at all.
    Maybe he's changed.

When he's at it he's one of the best around, think he needs a coach like Wenger around him plus players like Ramsey and Ozil will make him even greater. He has the potential at been one of the world's best. And at 25 million with Premiership experience behind him that's a great deal.

yeah but he had already managed Monaco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Despite my protestations, I still actually wouldn't mind Balotelli.

I just have a real fear that for our early run of tough games we'll have a big centre forward and five central midfielders trying to score a Wilshire-esque goal of the season against tough midfields and well organised defences. They'll suck everyone forward, break the move down and pick us off.

We did so much well last year but we made it insanely difficult for ourselves by having zero width and pace. The time to go for Grizemann or Sanchez was Jan and defo this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I'm really worried about Auriers defensive ability.

From both matches i have watched he has been uninspiring at defending however his attacking play is very interesting and intelligent.

A much much better player than Gibbs.
    Well shiet, a feckin league 2 player would be better than 'I'm afraid to run with the ball and go near an attacker' Gibbs.

I would welcom Aurier but would rather someone more in the vein of Coleman.

That little Uruguayan lad who got the goal looks good. We should go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah but he could cost just over 40,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This might have been mentioned but those puma Uruguay jerseys leave little room for the man with the fuller figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That little Uruguayan lad who got the goal looks good. We should go for him.

get the long-haired guy who crossed the ball and we'd be laughing

greendom wrote: »
    get the long-haired guy who crossed the ball and we'd be laughing

overrated

Does anyone feel like they watch enough of the youths to make any judgement on potential? I know I certainly don't. What I do know is in the past too many players came through with great stats and the like and are in and around League 1 now. Aneke and Afobe wasn't it?

• Advertisement

Does anyone feel like they watch enough of the youths to make any judgement on potential? I know I certainly don't. What I do know is in the past too many players came through with great stats and the like and are in and around League 1 now. Aneke and Afobe wasn't it?

Absolutely not, purely talking out of my ass tbh. Based entirely on reputation, what I read online and what I see in carling cup matches :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Fair play to Suarez they will be dancing on the streets in Liverpool tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That number nine for Uruguay looks decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Suarez looked hungry for it tonight.....

Absolutely not, purely talking out of my ass tbh. Based entirely on reputation, what I read online and what I see in carling cup matches :D

I'm in the same boat

Fair enough, wasn't meant to be a dig. It's just that I'm used to hearing bits and pieces and then seeing them on Sky on a Friday night a few years later. :P

Fair enough, wasn't meant to be a dig. It's just that I'm used to hearing bits and pieces and then seeing them on Sky on a Friday night a few years later. :P

Didn't take it as a dig at all man, was just being honest. I'm also still hurting that Quincy Owusu-Abeyie was sold :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

At least the Ox and Jack will be rested for the new season :D

gandalf wrote: »
    At least the Ox and Jack will be rested for the new season :D

True, though it's still mathematically possible for them to get through, think I'd prefer Campbell to keep shining on into the knock outs though. I do feel bad for the Ox, hope he's fit enough to get a run out in the last group game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

shano_88 wrote: »

be a very good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cant believe they play Henderson over Wilshere. Gerrard was muck too but at least hes the captain.

Cant believe they play Henderson over Wilshere. Gerrard was muck too but at least hes the captain.

Can't understand it myself, Wilshire would have been more productive in the midfield. Henderson is a Grafter and Gerrard is playing the same role, why need two of them.

I see Ox and Wilshire playing the next game if Italy draw or lose agaisn't Costa Rica. He will pick the same side agaisn't Costa Rica if Italy win tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Wilshere and Gerrard can't both play side by side. Wilshere needs to be given the freedom to go forward without having to worry about leaving a huge gap in the middle. He can't do that with England since Gerrard can't defend for ****.

England shouldn't even be playing 4-2-3-1 since they don't have either a holding mid or creative holding player e.g Pirlo/Arteta

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Wilshere and Gerrard can't both play side by side. Wilshere needs to be given the freedom to go forward without having to worry about leaving a huge gap in the middle. He can't do that with England since Gerrard can't defend for ****.

England shouldn't even be playing 4-2-3-1 since they don't have either a holding mid or creative holding player e.g Pirlo/Arteta

Then time for manager to show some steel and drop Gerrard, what has he actually done in the last two games. Play Henderson there, let Wilshire do his stuff. But they won't have the balls to do it, that's the problem. I agree England are playing it way to safe. As Dunphy called Hodgson a Civil Servant, afraid to step out of line and try something new.

Id have thrown Chambo in too if he was available. Him and Theo proved a huge loss to England. Thats two fast direct players gone out of the equation.

• Advertisement

Id have thrown Chambo in too if he was available. Him and Theo proved a huge loss to England. Thats two fast direct players gone out of the equation.

He be back agaisn't Costa Rica could be a little too late then to make a impression but I doubt he will play him, he will go for Barkley or Lalana. Walcott is a big miss, he's got pace and isn't afraid to shoot.

He be back agaisn't Costa Rica could be a little too late then to make a impression but I doubt he will play him, he will go for Barkley or Lalana. Walcott is a big miss, he's got pace and isn't afraid to shoot.

Perhaps at this stage its better for us if our England players dont play at this stage and that goes for anyone else on the brink of elimination.

Perhaps at this stage its better for us if our England players dont play at this stage and that goes for anyone else on the brink of elimination.

Well Carzola is coming home early, Wilshire and Ox are more then likely joining him. Kos isn't even in France's top 11 which is shocking, Giroud will play here and there. Mert and Ozil are the only ones likely to play for their country on a full time basis, Pod will be like Giroud. So we should be okay on that front that are players will come back fit.

Well Carzola is coming home early, Wilshire and Ox are more then likely joining him. Kos isn't even in France's top 11 which is shocking, Giroud will play here and there. Mert and Ozil are the only ones likely to play for their country on a full time basis, Pod will be like Giroud. So we should be okay on that front that are players will come back fit.

Amazing, back in 2006 we had an unreal amount of players at the World Cup in Germany and most were getting their game with their countries at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Amazing, back in 2006 we had an unreal amount of players at the World Cup in Germany and most were getting their game with their countries at the time

I'd rather this. Really reduces the chances of injury and allows our players a bit of a summer break.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement