Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Wilshere and Gerrard can't both play side by side. Wilshere needs to be given the freedom to go forward without having to worry about leaving a huge gap in the middle. He can't do that with England since Gerrard can't defend for ****.

England shouldn't even be playing 4-2-3-1 since they don't have either a holding mid or creative holding player e.g Pirlo/Arteta

First time i ever saw pirlo and arteta mentioned in the same league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's Twitter so I'd usually ignore it, but the person is question is a good friend of Alexis Sanchez and he says Sanchez has an offer from us.

Pinch of salt etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd rather this. Really reduces the chances of injury and allows our players a bit of a summer break.

Yeah but it also says a lot about the deterioration of the quality of players in our squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looper007 wrote: »
    Then time for manager to show some steel and drop Gerrard, what has he actually done in the last two games. Play Henderson there, let Wilshire do his stuff. But they won't have the balls to do it, that's the problem. I agree England are playing it way to safe. As Dunphy called Hodgson a Civil Servant, afraid to step out of line and try something new.

Even nothing to do with Gerrard being at fault along with Cahill (which I feel sorry for coz the lad is a quality defender) Gerrard offers nothing to England. He is all hollywood side passes. No leadership at all, the odd clap and rally. No pace, you can count the amount of slide tackles he did against Uruguay on one finger never mind one hand. Very few forward passes and no creativity what so ever.....never should have played. He cant even track players, no running at all. Back up at best, Lampard would have been a better bet.

I really like the lad but he is just not up to it anymore, same for club. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's Twitter so I'd usually ignore it, but the person is question is a good friend of Alexis Sanchez and he says Sanchez has an offer from us.

Pinch of salt etc etc.

I'm telling ya.

Wenger thinks like me - pace and creativity needed on the left.

Arteta/Flamini - Ramsey/Wilshire
    Walcott/Chambo - Ozil/Cazorla - Sanchez/Pod
    Giroud/Sanogo

Other players that might make an impact but can't be relied on Rosicky/Diaby/Gnabry/Campbell

The clear weak links are still our second striker and DMF but the above team gives a lot of options and different ways to play depending on the opposition. I think if we really went for the best RB we could find, I'd be happy starting the season with the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

What a coup it would be to pick up Electric Sanchez.
    Could play on the left, right, up top. Would also be the perfect partner for Giroud if we went 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Are we allowed to dream of Sanchez and Balotelli?

50 million should be close enough for the two of them, 10 million for Aurier and a few more million for a DM one can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

50 million should be close enough for the two of them, 10 million for Aurier and a few more million for a DM one can dream.

Perfect outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

give liverpool 100m for Suarez please. he will single handedly win us the dam league!

I doubt we'll get that much but it would be amazing.

I mean i know Wenger's always a bit iffy about adding too many players but the RB could be the only person straight into the starting 11.

You could go

Wally - Ozil - Caz
    Balo

or if Wally's still injured

Ozil - Caz - Sanchez
    ----Giroud

*sigh* why do we do this to ourselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm telling ya.

Wenger thinks like me - pace and creativity needed on the left.

Arteta/Flamini - Ramsey/Wilshire
    Walcott/Chambo - Ozil/Cazorla - Sanchez/Pod
    Giroud/Sanogo

Other players that might make an impact but can't be relied on Rosicky/Diaby/Gnabry/Campbell

The clear weak links are still our second striker and DMF but the above team gives a lot of options and different ways to play depending on the opposition. I think if we really went for the best RB we could find, I'd be happy starting the season with the above.

Sanogo is a donkey. He shouldn't be near the squad let alone the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

makes perfect sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pudders wrote: »

Jury still out for me - he could become decent, time will tell. Could do with a loan spell at a Championship club perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Rumour at the moment is Suarez is off to Barca for 52M so it could free up a player to move away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

farna_boy wrote: »
    Rumour at the moment is Suarez is off to Barca for 52M so it could free up a player to move away..

If he's moving for £52m it will mean Liverpool are getting Sanchez as part of the deal.

€52 million is quite low, I would have thought at least 20m more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

greendom wrote: »
    €52 million is quite low, I would have thought at least 20m more.

Could be a special Real Madrid/Barca break clause £52,000,001 :P

farna_boy wrote: »

You shouldn't even entertain this rubbish.

If he's moving for £52m it will mean Liverpool are getting Sanchez as part of the deal.

Rumoured to be a clause in his contract for a 53m release for barca or real. However from a friend of mine who's an expert on all things Barcelona and is a real font of knowledge on Spanish Football:
    “There are 2 main football rags in BCN… Sport and MundoDeportivo.
    Yesterday, there was a poll in Sport showing how unhappy everyone was with the current running of the club / shaping of the squad.
    Last night, Suarez was the main name in world football conversations.

This morning, MD (puppets for the board) have a story saying the Suarez-to-Barca deal is well advanced, and could include Alexis.
    Coincidence ?

Suarez is not what FCB need at all. That doesn’t mean they won’t go for him, but I’m pretty sure RM are going to push the boat out for him, and that’s where he’ll end up.
    I don’t think FCB have the money to compete, and I’m sure Perez has done the groundwork on the deal already“

I’d trust him on it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shtap it, if we got Aurier, Balo and Sanchez plus a CB I wouldn't even be mad if we missed out on a DM. Also Stephane Mbia is a free agent btw, mark my words :P

Pudders wrote: »

Harsh, he may not have scored yet but he's played well everytime he's been called upon, which has mostly been in big games, his mentality is very impressive for someone with so little experience at that level. Made a big difference when he came on in Wembley and even though he's a big lad he offers something different to Giroud.

He's nowhere near good enough to be 2nd choice striker but I'd be delighted to have our choices up front next season to be Balo/Giroud/Campbell/Sanogo (with Sanchez and Theo and Pod able to a job there too if needed obviously :p).

Regarding sanogo:
    Pro:
    He’s a physical presence
    Con:
    He seems to have no relationship with the ball
    Pro:
    He’s got a great attitude (judging from his Social Media interractions)
    Con:
    He’s taken air shots
    Pro:
    He’s still very young, could develop into a beast, not everyone is the finished article at 21
    Con:
    He actually had an Air Header in the FA Cup final
    Pro:
    He can score goals – check youtube for some special ones
    Con:
    He just hasn’t scored yet for arsenal
    Pro:
    He seems to be able to play well with Giroud in a 442
    Con:
    He’s been over a year out injured at his age, and it shows in his development.

While a loan might do him good he needs games, he needs to be loaned to a team who’ll play him regularly.
    Otherwise he’s better staying with us and learning off the first team, taking his sub opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If Sanogo makes it at Arsenal I will eat my hat. He has to be technically the most unpolished player I have ever seen wear the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.. :(

Including the transfer fee,wages and Agent fee we'd be paying a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.. :(

Including the transfer fee,wages and Agent fee we'd be paying a lot more.

It's still affordable for Arsenal ;) money is not the issue really we have it but will we spend it, will Wenger bring in that many players will he do what to everyone makes senses as its the holes in the squad we need to fill.

The heart hopes yes and it is very doable but being Arsenal the likelihood of it actually happening are very slim. The Ozil signing of last summer gives me a slight glimmer of hope.

Ivanovic would be a solid replacement for Sagna....

latest rumour doing the rounds but I very much doubt Mourinho would sell to us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Ivanovic would be a solid replacement for Sagna....

latest rumour doing the rounds but I very much doubt Mourinho would sell to us

He's 30 do ide rather get someone who will do us for a good few years.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    He's 30 do ide rather get someone who will do us for a good few years.

He'd be ideal as it would give Jenkinson more time to mature.

Keep an eye out for the Italian right back Ignazio Abate, terrific player would love to see him at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Joel Campbell is looking very good, should have had a pen there. Looks like he could be an option anywhere in our front 3

AdamD wrote: »
    Joel Campbell is looking very good, should have had a pen there. Looks like he could be an option anywhere in our front 3

He looks twice the player Ballotelli does. It seems when its not going Marios way he doesnt want to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Campbell could be the left winger we're crying out for

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He looks twice the player Ballotelli does. It seems when its not going Marios way he doesnt want to know.

Balotelli's done ok so far.
    Yeah, he missed one chance but he's been a constant threat running behind Costa Rica.

Balotelli's done ok so far.
    Yeah, he missed one chance but he's been a constant threat running behind Costa Rica.

He is but he seems disinterested when things arent going right for him.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He is but he seems disinterested when things arent going right for him.

And disinterest turns to petulance. TBH I'd want a more reliable character for such a huge wedge. He just can't be relied upon

And disinterest turns to petulance. TBH I'd want a more reliable character for such a huge wedge. He just can't be relied upon

The reason why I would rather the likes of Sanchez. If things arent going his way he will drop deep and put himself about and try and make things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many posters seem to be raving about balotelli.
    I don't know much about him other than when he played for City.
    He seems to be very skillful and a good goal-scorer but he also struck me as a bit lazy, very temperamental and always on the verge of a hissy fit.
    Don't think he's Wenger's type of player at all.
    Maybe he's changed.

Well after looking at the Italian game against Costa Rica it is clear to me that Balotelli is still the same petulant and moody player. He did nothing much in this game except squander chances and roll about on the floor. When his team needed him he was not up to it.
    I don't think he is the type of player we want at all. He doesn't put his body on the line and as they say" when the going gets tough, the tough get going" and Balotelli is not that kind of player so i don't want him. I want a do or die kind of player.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ollie is starting for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I agree with Tayto, stay well clear. Id sign him only as a very last resort, he just does not work for the team and does not want to know when he needs to work. Be different if we were getting him on the cheap but he is gonna cost us the earth in both transfer fee and wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

oh, the donkey scored for France!!!! :rolleyes:

Irish Aris wrote: »
    oh, the donkey scored for France!!!! :rolleyes:

And a player on loan from Fulham scored earlier for Costa Rica, your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

And a player on loan from Fulham scored earlier for Costa Rica, your point?

no point, just stating a fact.
    Giroud, who certain people in here call him a donkey, scored a goal for France.

no point

Thought that.

no point, just stating a fact.
    Giroud, who certain people in here call him a donkey, scored a goal for France.

Na, Giroud is far from a Donkey.

Now to two CBs for Switzerland.. :o

Na, Giroud is far from a Donkey.

Now to two CBs for Switzerland.. :o

One of which kept Kosc out of the starting line up for a season :D

Djourou is officially gone isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Pretty much, 1st July

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mickeroo wrote: »
    One of which kept Kosc out of the starting line up for a season :D
    wut

3m transfer to Hamburg in April.

I've been told that if I buy a France jersey with *Giroud 9* on the back, my attractiveness will go up by 65%

• Advertisement

So if Vermaelen goes have we got any other CB options at all? Seems like a pretty gaping hole tbh.

Just looking at the fixtures there, opening 7 matches includes City, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea along with a League Cup match and CL qualifiers. A strong start is massive and if we're still done nothing of note by this time next month it's hard to see it happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement