Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mickeroo wrote: »
    One of which kept Kosc out of the starting line up for a season :D

unreal?
    what was he doing there, Djourou? We have got rid of him, right?

I like what I see from Benzema, despite the missed penalty. Wouldn't mind him in.
    My only concern (and not just for him, but for any striker that Wenger brings in) is how he would cope with all these tight defenses we will be dealing for the better part of the year.

I can understand the need for a striker for the big games but it will be to no good if we start losing points against the middle teams (like Chelsea last year). The fact that it didn't happen last year shouldn't put us at ease.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wut

When Kosc first came many felt Djourou was the better player, didn't last for long of course. I remember plenty of debates at the time though.

I thought he kept Djourou out of the team but looking at the stats they had a similar amount of appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

So who was slagging Giroud?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    When Kosc first came many felt Djourou was the better player, didn't last for long of course. I remember plenty of debates at the time though.

I thought he kept Djourou out of the team but looking at the stats they had a similar amount of appearances.

If it's the season I'm thinking of Vermaelen was out most of the season and Squillachi played plenty. At one stage the Djourou/Koscielny pairing conceded 1 goal in 10 matches or we lost 1 game all season with them playing. It was something ludicrous anyway. :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kos and Djourour partnered each other during most of Kos' first season here as Vermaelen was out injured, they conceded something like 3 goals in 17 league games together. Djourou didn't play much again after that.

Kos has been first choice pretty much the entire time he's been at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If it's the season I'm thinking of Vermaelen was out most of the season and Squillachi played plenty. At one stage the Djourou/Koscielny pairing conceded 1 goal in 10 matches or we lost 1 game all season with them playing. It was something ludicrous anyway. :P

Ah that's what I'm thinking of, for some reason I thought it was Kosc that got injured not Verm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

People have been saying that the unveiling of Puma as shirt sponsors may lead to news of signings. Balotelli is with Puma. But here's another one...Falcao is with Puma. Unhappy at Monaco. What are the chances of that happening??

People have been saying that the unveiling of Puma as shirt sponsors may lead to news of signings. Balotelli is with Puma. But here's another one...Falcao is with Puma. Unhappy at Monaco. What are the chances of that happening??

Extremely low. I think the whole puma thing is clutching at straws tbh, the tweets people on reddit were using to back up the idea were clearly refferring to the new kits and not players.

I don't expect us to unveil anyone during the world cup regardless but if anyone was a done deal I honestly think something would have leaked.

I wish I was expecting good things but we've gone from needing 3/4 strong signings to also needing a RB along with at least one CB, maybe 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kos enters the fray

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Kos enters the fray

Should hopefully start the next match if France decide to rest a few.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Up on twitter now:

Commentator "Why this last goal wasn't counted?"

Wenger "Because the referee has a swiss watch"

CatInABox wrote: »
    Up on twitter now:

Commentator "Why this last goal wasn't counted?"

Wenger "Because the referee has a swiss watch"

Wenger tends to be very quick off the tongue from time to time ill say that :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Also from Twitter:

Commentator: "I want you to guess how many matches Senderos & Djourou played together?"

Wenger: "25"

Commentator: "What? Did you check my notes?"

Wenger: "No, but I should play the lottery tonight"

Its the guy in the boots rather than the boots we should be signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    See again you're proving my point..

1st: Balotelli is 6'2 which for his height he can move very fast.

Basically.. you'd have to be crazy to think Balotelli isn't good enough for us.

You boy was his usual self tonight.

If we sign him I will be pissed.

Thankfully there is no chance Arsene will sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Thankfully the club doesn't do its business depending on how you feel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

You get the impression that he would have done better if the game was against Germany or Brazil.

Would be nice all the same - having a big game player. You know, just one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    You get the impression that he would have done better if the game was against Germany or Brazil.

Would be nice all the same - having a big game player. You know, just one of them.
    I really don't know if I could live with the frustration. How many times would he do a no show like he did for the entire second half yesterday ?

How many games a season could we win with a passenger in the team ?

Balotelli for me is far too moody and flimsy. Would be a huge gamble. Undoubted talent but too much of a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

what i think Balotelli will bring to the table...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYps2vozIqI

greendom wrote: »
    I really don't know if I could live with the frustration. How many times would he do a no show like he did for the entire second half yesterday ?

How many games a season could we win with a passenger in the team ?

In fairness you could be talking about Giroud right now and that post would be completely fair.

Balotelli was subpar last night.. But so was nearly every other Italy player.
    And for everyone's complaints about not wanting Balotelli... You's have yet too show us any alternatives?

Also supposedly we're close to agreeing a deal for Aurier.

Going by this guy - https://twitter.com/F8Piraux/status/480316538273415168
    ARSENAL : A deal is close between Toulouse and #Arsenal for Serge #Aurier. The player wants to play for Gunners and refuses Marseille. #AFC

Also ITV are reporting it - http://www.itv.com/worldcup/arsenal-to-sign-ivory-coast-defender-aurier-for-8m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

I'd be happy with

Aurier
    Second gk
    Campbell
    Remy/balotelli
    Another cb
    And dm
    :) but here's hoping . It's arsenal as we all know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

quikcunny wrote: »
    I'd be happy with

Aurier
    Second gk
    Campbell
    Remy/balotelli
    Another cb
    And dm
    :) but here's hoping . It's arsenal as we all know

That's better :P

Really don't get the Remy obsession. He is nowhere near good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That's better :P

Really don't get the Remy obsession. He is nowhere near good enough.

I feel the same about Balotelli. I will be extremely disappointed if we sign him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I feel the same about Balotelli. I will be extremely disappointed if we sign him.

But who else is there?

Quazzie wrote: »

Balotelli is one of the best strikers that is available and is affordable (don't bring up how we could afford anyone as we need more than one player so have a budget) and would go straight into the first 11. Obviously there are better players, but I doubt Ronaldo will be interested. Meanwhile, Remy would be nothing more than an average squad player who wouldn't improve us. He would only be adding numbers when it is quality we need.

Balotelli is one of the best strikers that is available and is affordable (don't bring up how we could afford anyone as we need more than one player so have a budget) and would go straight into the first 11. Obviously there are better players, but I doubt Ronaldo will be interested. Meanwhile, Remy would be nothing more than an average squad player who wouldn't improve us. He would only be adding numbers when it is quality we need.

Exactly!
    Truth is there isn't any other strikers available that we can realistically afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Balotelli is one of the best strikers that is available and is affordable ... and would go straight into the first 11.

Balotelli straight into the starting 11? Really doubt it. Not once in his career has he reached the 20 goals a season mark, Giroud has done it three times.

Balotelli has more natural ability no doubt, but he doesn't have the brain cells to use it. He'd be good competition and cover for Giroud, but unless Balotelli seriously ups his game Giroud would be the starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

Look who balotelli has played for..... I'm thinking if we bring in someone such as remy or Campbell they are the types of players that have the attitude to push themselves for both the team and themselves, with balotelli , I think comes an ego. And if things are not going right i wouldn't be surprised if he tought " I'm too good for this " . This is what we don't want .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Exactly!
    Truth is there isn't any other strikers available that we can realistically afford.

How do you know that?
    There could be plenty after the WC and maybe Wenger knows that and is waiting.
    Anyway I don't want a spoiled brat who throws hissy fits when things are not going his way. I don't believe he is all that good anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The way a lot of people talk about Balotelli reminds me a lot of the same kind of comments you hear about Ibrahimovic.

We're Balotelli brought in he would instantly be our best CF

I'm a fan of Giroud, but Balotelli is better.

I'm a fan of Giroud, but Balotelli is better.

better how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He scores against top teams, Giroud doesn't.

AdamD wrote: »
    He scores against top teams, Giroud doesn't.

i can almost guarantee that Balo would become our new Arshavin. Bags of talent but just not bothered the majority of the time. Cant see it working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    i can almost guarantee that Balo would become our new Arshavin. Bags of talent but just not bothered the majority of the time. Cant see it working

How can you almost guarantee?

Bags of talent he has and put him into a side where he is the main man and he could be excellent. We need someone who is clinical in those big games and he has proven he can do it.

Wenger will sniff out his temperament if he is even interested and make a decision either way. I think he would be an excellent signing.

HazDanz wrote: »
    How can you almost guarantee?

Bags of talent he has and put him into a side where he is the main man and he could be excellent. We need someone who is clinical in those big games and he has proven he can do it.

Wenger will sniff out his temperament if he is even interested and make a decision either way. I think he would be an excellent signing.

cause he's lazy and petulant. Only players who become world class work on their talent. I dont think he will even if he has bags of potential. He's overrated imo and we could do without him. Final call is with Wenger anyway, would be disappointed in him if he went for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'd prefer benzema, but I'd be intrigued by Balotelli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Great match there, Ozil was brilliant for 80 mins but burned out, per not great. I find it hilarious though that there is a poster or two in the match day threads whose only contribution is (Insert certain Arsenal players name) is terrible, past it, or having a stinker :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Raf32 wrote: »
    Great match there, Ozil was brilliant for 80 mins but burned out, per not great. I find it hilarious though that there is a poster or two in the match day threads whose only contribution is (Insert certain Arsenal players name) is terrible, past it, or having a stinker :pac:

Saw that and responded. Probably shouldn't have.
    The Ghosts of '89 still haunt them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I thought Ozil was man of the match. It is great he plays for arsenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Aside from the fact that I think there are other more pressing concerns, I think there are enough question marks around Balotelli to put us off.

We can afford big players now but you don't want to get it wrong.

We're not Chelsea or City, we can't just write off the costs of a Torres.

We could get them but we need to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Pudders wrote: »
    I thought Ozil was man of the match. It is great he plays for arsenal!

Different player when he's surrounded with quality, created so many chances, needs to start putting some away though to put himself up a level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ozil's fitness baffles me. He is a young man but he was clearly fcuked for the last 20 minutes at least. He's not exactly the best at tracking back so how does he wear himself out so much? It seems to happens in most games, whats that site where you can track a players distance covered in a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Saw that and responded. Probably shouldn't have.

I pity him at this stage. He reeks of bitterness and obsession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Giroud > Ballotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Saw this on Twitter:

"Everybody would agree Ozil had a good game if he still played for Real Madrid."

Nail on head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Meanwhile, Remy would be nothing more than an average squad player who wouldn't improve us. He would only be adding numbers when it is quality we need.

you're being too harsh on remy, scored 1/2 since being in england.
    he's better than average & would improve the squad. arsenal aren't going to have 22 world class players anytime soon, need to remember/realise that, for his price he'd be a good addition.
    he'd be a good option to have on the right instead of walcott, better than chamberlain or gnabry playing there i think & he's versatile as well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement