Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ozil's fitness baffles me. He is a young man but he was clearly fcuked for the last 20 minutes at least. He's not exactly the best at tracking back so how does he wear himself out so much? It seems to happens in most games, whats that site where you can track a players distance covered in a game?

Maybe he still smokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Maybe he still smokes

he's always pictured getting a take away (pizza or kebab usually)

If people want to use application as a reason to not get Balotelli then they'd best not be here defending Ozil. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Some positive news doing the rounds this morning.

The eternally inaccurate Daily Star have claimed that French reports insist that Serge Aurier has agreed a 5 year deal worth 60,000 a week, to sign for Arsenal in a deal worth 8 million. Do remember it is the Daily Star though.

Other obscure reports claim that Real Sociedad may be prepared to offer Arsenal 10 million to waive off Arsenal's buy-back right. Hence, keep their player for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Some positive news doing the rounds this morning.

The eternally inaccurate Daily Star have claimed that French reports insist that Serge Aurier has agreed a 5 year deal worth 60,000 a week, to sign for Arsenal in a deal worth 8 million. Do remember it is the Daily Star though.

Other obscure reports claim that Real Sociedad may be prepared to offer Arsenal 10 million to waive off Arsenal's buy-back right. Hence, keep their player for sure.

Here's the source - http://www.squawka.com/news/ivory-coast-right-back-serge-aurier-agrees-personal-terms-with-arsenal-according-to-french-reports/128378

Also I think i read that the Vela deal was all but done and we sold our rights for 11M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

So that's £5m from the Fabregas deal and £11m from the Vela deal.

+16m so far on the summer, there should be at least £50m spent this summer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well that caps TV's season

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

greendom wrote: »

I wasn't really paying attention, was he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

greendom wrote: »

And puts under threat any chance of cashing in on him this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

May staying with us afterall, which is a good thing I think.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wasn't really paying attention, was he injured?

Seemed to get injured in the warm-up. Started the game but came off soon after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I see Suarez looks like he is off, prob be similar story if we had got him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He'll be a big loss to the PL if he does go.

Only reason I watched Liverpool was because of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He'll be a big loss to the PL if he does go.

Only reason I watched Liverpool was because of him.

Yes, Liverpool could be a mid-table team again without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shreddeez

Is it true arsenal have a man out in Brazil negotiating a contract with Balo? And also why is his asking price getting higher and higher every time a new story about him comes up?

• Advertisement

Shreddeez wrote: »
    Is it true arsenal have a man out in Brazil negotiating a contract with Balo? And also why is his asking price getting higher and higher every time a new story about him comes up?

Because no one actually knows if he's available so the papers are just making up prices to keep things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yes, Liverpool could be a mid-table team again without him.

Are you trying to draw them here Tayto? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Because no one actually knows if he's available so the papers are just making up prices to keep things interesting.

hold the boat, newspapers make up stories to increase sales of their paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shreddeez

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    hold the boat, newspapers make up stories to increase sales of their paper?

What is the world coming to?!

Ox defo out. Feel for the guy. Hopefully he recovers well and gets a preseason under his belt.

When is Walcott due back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Shreddeez wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, City get 20% of the sale price of Balotelli so Arsenal would probably have to pay £25-£28m to get him so Milan reclaim the fee they paid.

Also, the newspapers seem absolutely clueless. They claim Arsenal will offer him £180k-per-week, a £30k increase, which is laughable. Balotelli is on €4.5m per year which is only £70k per week. He actually took a pay cut to join Milan.

Unless I'm missing something and the wages stated in the Premiership are the gross wages before tax which I don't think is the case?

English wages are reported gross afaik.
    So they'd want to offer him at least 130k to match what he's on now

barbara berlusconi said no one is irreplaceable, we'll see what happens when asked about him

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/serie-a/milan/2014/06/22/news/barbara_berlusconi_su_balotelli_mercato-89717249/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds like the Vela stuff is done with, though I could have sworn this story came out a couple of weeks ago: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4127165.ece

Not sure I would call it a classy move from the club, we clearly didn't want him, just decided to squeeze some cash out of Sociedad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sounds like the Vela stuff is done with, though I could have sworn this story came out a couple of weeks ago: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4127165.ece

Not sure I would call it a classy move from the club, we clearly didn't want him, just decided to squeeze some cash out of Sociedad imo.

indeed. but of course if we'd let Sociedad sell him on for 20m + and didn't realise any return on the buy back claus it would basically mean that Ivan and Co hadn't done their jobs.
    It was just smart business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

bad2dabone wrote: »
    indeed. but of course if we'd let Sociedad sell him on for 20m + and didn't realise any return on the buy back claus it would basically mean that Ivan and Co hadn't done their jobs.
    It was just smart business.

100% about time the club showed a bit of rootlessness we have been bent over for years maybe this is another sign of the change.

You can be guaranteed if there was a 'refund if **** clause' they would have sent him back if it didnt work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All this money and nothing to do with it.....lol.

Soups123 wrote: »
    100% about time the club showed a bit of rootlessness we have been bent over for years maybe this is another sign of the change.

You can be guaranteed if there was a 'refund if **** clause' they would have sent him back if it didnt work out

Gazidis gets some stick but he's very good at his job.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Gazidis gets some stick but he's very good at his job.

In some ways yes, others no. His bragging about all of our money had us bent over a barrel by every club we wanted to do business with last summer.

He's good behind the scenes but needs to stay quiet. Better to be thought a fool and all that.

In some ways yes, others no. His bragging about all of our money had us bent over a barrel by every club we wanted to do business with last summer.

He's good behind the scenes but needs to stay quiet. Better to be thought a fool and all that.

I thought that strange last year but I think that was more for the ears of the players we had and wanting them to sign new contracts, he did follow up his talk with the signing of Ozil. I think were he falls a little short is that he doesnt seem to be hard enough on Arsene. He should say tell me what you want and then go negotiate with Arsene out of the loop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 french_bloke

So as everyone says long time lurker, first time poster!
    The doors of the soccer forum have been opened to the peasants,
    Big Arsenal fan, first memories of Arsenal were the cup winners cup final match against Parma in '94

It's been a tough few years, frustrating transfer windows but I'm hopeful of a turn around in this window.
    Ozil signified the start of that last season. Following Geoffarsenal on twitter and there was some brief talk of Reus being touted.
    Would love see him at Arsenal, yes it's optimistic but not impossible! would defo make the difference on the left and increase the German contingent!

I'd say that's down to Arsene being more involved with the board than he should more than anything else. I would love it if he had a piece of paper with 5 names and told Gazidis "I want these guys, figure it out". I'm quite sure Gazidis has the noose to get most if not all of them. But since Wenger was involved in this rebuilding process from the ground up he'll always have the financial constraints at the back of his mind to some extent, so he will find it hard to justify demanding £100m worth of players when he was so heavily involved in saving money in the first place.

Yeah good point.
    HHe's been far more circumspect at this season's fan day.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Balotelli v Giroud stats from last season

Bqz_VpNCYAACCtF.png

85 minutes, 0-0.

Point me out one instance all season where Giroud has pulled three points out of his arse for us. Two moments of magic from January onwards and we wold have won the league. Fine margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

to be fair, it is Serie A

85 minutes, 0-0.

Point me out one instance all season where Giroud has pulled three points out of his arse for us. Two moments of magic from January onwards and we wold have won the league. Fine margins.

Without putting any research into it, there was the very last goal we scored last season. (not 3 points admittedly but it did bring a trophy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

He was also an inch away from winning the 3points in the Everton match when he hit the crossbar in the 93rd minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Was Tony Adams on the sauce in Autumn 1993?

I'm trying to figure out if Graham Taylor is having a dig at him or Alan Shearer for missing that San Marino game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27975727

Zico wrote: »
    Was Tony Adams on the sauce in Autumn 1993?

I'm trying to figure out if Graham Taylor is having a dig at him or Alan Shearer for missing that San Marino game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27975727
    Yep he was still putting them away in 93

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Soups123 wrote: »
    Yep he was still putting them away in 93

Taylor must be having a go at Shearer then, he had no excuse!:)

You have to take into account who they have creating chances for them.

Giroud: Cazorla - Ozil - Wilshere - Ramsey

Balotelli: Robinho - Honda - Kaka - Tarbt

Its actually quite sad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You have to take into account who they have creating chances for them.

Giroud: Cazorla - Ozil - Wilshere - Ramsey

Balotelli: Robinho - Honda - Kaka - Tarbt

Its actually quite sad..

What a sad collection of has-beens and never-weres (sorry Kaka but, well you know...). Can't actually remember the last time Milan actually paid money for a player, rather than endless loans and free transfers. Last year they brought in 7 players - £0 in total - and this summer they've brought in Alex and Menez for free too.

If we want Balotelli, it won't be a problem. As long as Napoli don't get involved, it might not take too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Kaka was another lazy so n so.....he just could not be arsed that lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

There was and has been a lot of talk that Gazidis was doing all this talking not to big himself up or the club put to apply pressure on Wenger to spend money. That has to be taken into account there were rumblings of the board being unhappy with Wenger's unwillingness to spend.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Kaka was another lazy so n so.....he just could not be arsed that lad.

Wuttt???????

Kaka for years was an outstanding player who would have walked into any team in the world. Unfortunately for him his move to Real conincided with a bad injury after which he was never the same player but to imply he was lazy is crazy.

Now he is in the twilight of his career at 32 and no longer able to produce the magic he once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mossey79

Kaka was the best player in the world for a few years. This was when Zidane was around. He wasn't bad in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Kaka pre-Real was immense. Then he ****ed up his knee, they bought Özil, Kaka came back, ****ed up his knee AGAIN, and when he finally came back from injury again Özil had made himself undroppable and Kaka was out of favour.

Dunno how he did last season in Milan but he's getting on now and his best years are behind him. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

any word on a right back? what about Aurier would you folks be happy eith him?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Been impressed with him watching the world cup, can also play as a DM as well, which is good for us, i'd say its more or less done deal, would be very happy with him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement