Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Been impressed with him watching the world cup, can also play as a DM as well, which is good for us, i'd say its more or less done deal, would be very happy with him.

Seems very quick and can cross well. Still like to see more of him defensively though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Been impressed with him watching the world cup, can also play as a DM as well, which is good for us, i'd say its more or less done deal, would be very happy with him.

Out of interest, with all this terrible paper talk going around e.g. Pogba picks himself in FM for Chelsea, is this a hint at his next club?

How are you so certain its more or less a done deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

any word on a right back? what about Aurier would you folks be happy eith him?

Would be very happy with him.
    As well as playing RB he can play CB or DM.

He's also been the fastest player at the World Cup (33.52km/h)

And he seems to really want to play of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

He's also shiit quick as well which is always helpful with the way our full backs play he's been clocked as the fastest player at the world cup so far.

Think most would be happy to satisfied if he is to sign.

He has certainly whored himself enough to Arsenal in recent months.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He'd be direct competition for Jenkinson too. Jenks was never going to get Sagna out of the team so I think having a player to compete directly with will be good for his development

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Out of interest, with all this terrible paper talk going around e.g. Pogba picks himself in FM for Chelsea, is this a hint at his next club?

How are you so certain its more or less a done deal?

As the lads said above he seems keen. He says hes an Arsenal fan, even pictured himself in an Arsenal jersey and is on video saying hes coming to Arsenal. I hate paper talk, ive stopped paying attention to it. But all the signs are pointing towards him being with us next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

i've been impressed with his crossing and pace alright. Sagna is going to be very difficult to replace though, always involved and very solid defensively. we would also (if aurier is to sign) be without him during ANC. strange no word of a new CB too, any news on Vermaelen did he get injured yesterday?

I've always thought that Sagna was one of the best fullbacks when it came to defending.
    But he wasn't much use when going forward.. Especially in his later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

i've been impressed with his crossing and pace alright. Sagna is going to be very difficult to replace though, always involved and very solid defensively. we would also (if aurier is to sign) be without him during ANC. strange no word of a new CB too, any news on Vermaelen did he get injured yesterday?

He squashed the United talk last week, he went off injured yesterday, straight to the tunnel looked like he was close to tears, so it doesn't look good, been a very frustrating year for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You have to take into account who they have creating chances for them.

Giroud: Cazorla - Ozil - Wilshere - Ramsey

Balotelli: Robinho - Honda - Kaka - Tarbt

Its actually quite sad..

We've got a one good season player, a second rate Spanish midfielder, a world class player (at another club) and Wilshire, who Milan fans would be laughing at themselves.

Wilshire vrs Robinho? Only one winner there if you're looking at what they've actually done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gosplan wrote: »
    We've got a one good season player, a second rate Spanish midfielder, a world class player (at another club) and Wilshire, who Milan fans would be laughing at themselves.

Wilshire vrs Robinho? Only one winner there if you're looking at what they've actually done.

Out of the two line ups, I'd pick Arsenals any day of the week to be honest.

What's your point?

I highlighted that we have plenty of great creative players.. Milan do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Milan have Sulley Muntari and Michael Essien. Your argument is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Wuttt???????

Kaka for years was an outstanding player who would have walked into any team in the world. Unfortunately for him his move to Real conincided with a bad injury after which he was never the same player but to imply he was lazy is crazy.

Now he is in the twilight of his career at 32 and no longer able to produce the magic he once had.

Never doubted his quality and flair for a second, but he never ran the arse of himself even when he was a young fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He'd be direct competition for Jenkinson too. Jenks was never going to get Sagna out of the team so I think having a player to compete directly with will be good for his development

I think this Aurier fella is a class above Jenkinson and would go straight into our side ahead of him every day of the week (hopefully). Jenkinson in our defence gives me nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Oh Jesus, the Arsenal midfield dicks on that Milan one, which is pretty evident given Milan came 7th in Serie A.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Got to admit, after buying Ozil last year, it's nice to be wondering who Arsenal are going to buy, rather than who they are going to sell.

Also, for those who think that Ivan should have kept his mouth shut over the amount that we had for transfers, Arsenal is a publicly traded company, meaning that the finances are a matter of public record. Any company willing to sell to us would have done their homework on us, regardless of what the CEO says.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Now as this forum has become open to the great unwashed, I'm free to come out from the undergrowth.
    Feel I should offer something imaginative with my first post, so how about this......

We go after the legend that is Andrea Pirlo, yeah he's 36 and we're not exactly short in midfield but he's such a classy guy who'd care?

My point is that we shouldn't overrate our players and extrapolate some kind of non-truth from that.

The five man midfield gave Giroud a very limited amount of help this year. He ran tirelessly from deep trying to bridge the huge gap between our midfield and himself and dug them out hugely in a number of games.

But here it's reframed at him under performing because they're so amazing. Balotelli would obviously make a disjointed formation like that click straight away, wouldn't he? I mean it's just a huge amount of graft and a lot of neat passing. Oh wait!!

It's just all such a superficial and silly argument. When you look at the truth, it's not about comparing midfields but realising that Robinho would have been far more useful to us last year than Wilshire.

If Balotelli plays with that midfield, there will be the additional option of the ball over the top as he's got the pace for that. But what do you lose?

I don't think he'd put in the work necessary and I don't think he'd link up well enough. Added to that there are questions about his mental resolve.

But don't tell me that he'd just score more ecauae Arsenal's massive collection of AMF's are superior to Milan's midfield.

• Advertisement

Rocket_Man wrote: »
    Now as this forum has become open to the great unwashed, I'm free to come out from the undergrowth.
    Feel I should offer something imaginative with my first post, so how about this......

We go after the legend that is Andrea Pirlo, yeah he's 36 and we're not exactly short in midfield but he's such a classy guy who'd care?

Be pretty hard since he literally signed a new contract less than 2 months ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Be pretty hard since he literally signed a new contract less than 2 months ago :pac:

Ah, there's always something isn't there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

My point is that we shouldn't overrate our players and extrapolate some kind of non-truth from that.

The five man midfield gave Giroud a very limited amount of help this year. He ran tirelessly from deep trying to bridge the huge gap between our midfield and himself and dug them out hugely in a number of games.

But here it's reframed at him under performing because they're so amazing. Balotelli would obviously make a disjointed formation like that click straight away, wouldn't he? I mean it's just a huge amount of graft and a lot of neat passing. Oh wait!!

It's just all such a superficial and silly argument. When you look at the truth, it's not about comparing midfields but realising that Robinho would have been far more useful to us last year than Wilshire.

If Balotelli plays with that midfield, there will be the additional option of the ball over the top as he's got the pace for that. But what do you lose?

I don't think he'd put in the work necessary and I don't think he'd link up well enough. Added to that there are questions about his mental resolve.

But don't tell me that he'd just score more ecauae Arsenal's massive collection of AMF's are superior to Milan's midfield.

Robinho's played 46 league games for Milan in the last two seasons, only starting 26 games and being subbed off in 21 of those. Robinho wouldn't have had a look in at Arsenal, he'd have offered less than Rosicky did.

I've seen every game Balotelli has played for the last 18 months. 26 goals in 43 games in the Serie A is a very good record. Some people argue that many of his goals came from set pieces but he won a lot of those free kicks and penalties himself and set-piece taking is also a skill. He's a very good free-taker and one of the best penalty-takers in the world.

I've also watched an awful lot of Arsenal play. Balotelli is, imo, better than Giroud but they're different players. Giroud has a better work-ethic, is better in the air and is far less temperamental. Balotelli has far more pace,is a much better dribbler, a better set-piece taker, a better finisher (imo) and is generally more skillful.

Basically, Balotelli is a risk, one that paid off for Milan within 4 months as he arrived in January 2013 and dragged us into the top 3 by the scruff of the neck. He's also only 23 years old and could be one of the world's best. Giroud is a good player but he's just the much safer option.

I'll be gutted if Balotelli leaves Milan. Like Ibrahimovic, he's an enigma. He's capable of the unbelievable at any moment and his disciplinary issues have been vastly overstated in the media because he's such a high-profile player.

If Arsenal sign Balotelli for £25m-£30m it will be a great purchase for them on a footballing and marketing basis but the media frenzy that will follow him around may be too much for Wenger. The British media have an obsession with him and it could end up causing problems that Arsenal aren't used to and Wenger doesn't need.

A gamble, but definitely a gamble I'd take if I was Wenger.

Robinho's played 46 league games for Milan in the last two seasons, only starting 26 games and being subbed off in 21 of those. Robinho wouldn't have had a look in at Arsenal, he'd have offered less than Rosicky did.

I've seen every game Balotelli has played for the last 18 months. 26 goals in 43 games in the Serie A is a very good record. Some people argue that many of his goals came from set pieces but he won a lot of those free kicks and penalties himself and set-piece taking is also a skill. He's a very good free-taker and one of the best penalty-takers in the world.

I've also watched an awful lot of Arsenal play. Balotelli is, imo, better than Giroud but they're different players. Giroud has a better work-ethic, is better in the air and is far less temperamental. Balotelli has far more pace,is a much better dribbler, a better set-piece taker, a better finisher (imo) and is generally more skillful.

Basically, Balotelli is a risk, one that paid off for Milan within 4 months as he arrived in January 2012 and dragged us into the top 3 by the scruff of his neck. He's also only 23 years old and could be one of the world's best. Giroud is a good player but he's just the much safer option.

I'll be gutted if Balotelli leaves Milan. Like Ibrahimovic, he's an enigma. He's capable of the unbelievable at any moment and his disciplinary issues have been vastly overstated in the media because he's such a high-profile player.

If Arsenal sign Balotelli for £25m-£30m it will be a great purchase for them on a footballing and marketing basis but the media frenzy that will follow him around may be too much for Wenger. The British media have an obsession with him and it could end up causing problems that Arsenal aren't used to and Wenger doesn't need.

A gamble, but definitely a gamble I'd take if it was Wenger.

Sorry, fair enough about Robinho. El Shaarway then. I mean if he was in the Arsenal squad for the season just gone? He would have been extremely important. Defo more than Wilshire or Cazorla.

My overall point is not whether Balotelli or Giroud is better. I've previously said Balotelli would probably be better for us but it's not massive and given we're not going to throw loads of cash around, we might be better off investing it elsewhere.

I just think it's a bit much that we look at how poor Milan's midfield is and then talk up our own, we're taking a bit of a FIFA player ratings approach to evaluating football. Our midfield had serious problems this season, ones that Balotelli won't fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Sorry, fair enough about Robinho. El Shaarway then. I mean if he was in the Arsenal squad for the season just gone? He would have been extremely important. Defo more than Wilshire or Cazorla.

My overall point is not whether Balotelli or Giroud is better. I've previously said Balotelli would probably be better for us but it's not massive and given we're not going to throw loads of cash around, we might be better off investing it elsewhere.

I just think it's a bit much that we look at how poor Milan's midfield is and then talk up our own, we're taking a bit of a FIFA player ratings approach to evaluating football. Our midfield had serious problems this season, ones that Balotelli won't fix.
    I get what you're saying, I think the 2 most important positions for Arsenal to invest in is a DM and a top striker (plus a RB and sub Keeper). Probably should have went for Luiz Gustavo when he was available. Javi Martinez would be a great signing but I'm unsure of his availability.

Sign Paul Pogba and Balotelli and Arsenal will win the league imo. Pogba is the best signing Arsenal could make at the minute.

El Shaarawy would be a great addition to Arsenal and is a very Wenger-player. The hardest working player in Milan's team and a very good dribbler and finisher. I'm actually more excited about his potential than Balotelli's!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Jaysus lads, the hulk fella looks fairly beefy. Who here would sign him in wingers shoes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Few reports going around that Falcao is joining Real Madrid. Wonder what that could mean for Benzema, still no contract signed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Reports coming out of Brazil suggest that Arsene is not on World Cup duty with French tv as he is meeting agents.

Will be back on the mic for the France game tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Jaysus lads, the hulk fella looks fairly beefy. Who here would sign him in wingers shoes?

have you watched the Brazil games? he's useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That Brazil team will not win this competition. They have a few very poor players.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Looper007 wrote: »

Exactly my point looper...he looks sh1te, although I hadn't seen much of him to be honest.

I'm assuming there's no truth in the rumours that we were interested.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point looper...he looks sh1te, although I hadn't seen much of him to be honest.

I'm assuming there's no truth in the rumours that we were interested.

Wenger should be shot if he even pays a euro for the guy. He's overrated like many Brazilian players are these days.

That Brazil team will not win this competition. They have a few very poor players.

a few :pac: if Neymar gets injured they are screwed. Chile I have a feeling will take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Guardado for Mexico is a far better winger than Hulk can ever hope to be

Guardado for Mexico is a far better winger than Hulk can ever hope to be

Brian you be a better winger then Hulk :pac:

I don't know about that have you seen me :D

Andre Santos would do a better job for Brazil

Now we are taking the piss

This Perisic lad looks decent though

Didn't he emerge the year Dortmund 1st came to prominence even scored against us in the Champions League and then kind of fell off the radar again , Has looked class in patches throughout the 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Did Perisic score against us last season or did I dream that up?

Edit: Just saw brianregan's post

• Advertisement

Brian you be a better winger then Hulk :pac:

Hulk even makes me grateful for Sanogo and thats the truth

:confused:

But no one has said we didn't have problems in midfield.

Would Balotelli improve our forward line yes, is he better than Giroud who I like yes.

Signing Balotelli doesn't mean we can't strengthen our midfield we could still easily afford a LW, DM and a RB no problem.

I myself would like to see Cazorla pushed to the bench he would make a very good squad player and back up to Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would people be happy with Alexis Sanchez and Campbell as our attacking additions? I think i would

Think Campbell is good enough to compete for the LW spot with Lukas and Santi think we're fine there, We do need a DM though as long as we get Balo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Think Campbell is good enough to compete for the LW spot with Lukas and Santi think we're fine there, We do need a DM though as long as we get Balo

Id love Balo but defo take Sanchez over him, lad has it all.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Id love Balo but defo take Sanchez over him, lad has it all.

To be honest I'd be delighted with either.

I think alot of people are forgetting Balotelli is only 23 his best years are still ahead of him imo Milan is a terrible place for him to be , With the managers door having a revolving door and they have really fallen massivley since the likes of Nesta and Maldini retired i think he'd flourish at Arsenal,

No wonder he went mad at City shur Mancini is mental aswell

Hulk even makes me grateful for Sanogo and thats the truth

he's a nothing player and Porto made a mint out of selling him off to the Russian League. The best deal ever.

• Advertisement

**** just got real!! (kinda)

Di Marzio: Arsenal and Juventus in for Alexis Sanchez - http://gianlucadimarzio.com/juventus/juventus-per-sanchez-si-inserisce-larsenal-la-situazione/

Also -
    Arsene Wenger met with the agent of Alexis Sanchez after the match between Spain and Chile
    Source - https://twitter.com/partidodelas12/status/481198300360880128

With Di Marzio reporting it then its probably true!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement