Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭josh101st

I wish Walcott got a chance to play in the world cup, he would of at least made a small impact

And the ox should of got more game time

And santi, but per us playing well and ozil looks tired but hes playing some good football, podolski should start for germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He'd also cost about 15M more than Aurier.

Really? Everton believe they can get that much for Coleman? I'd have thought 15 at most would get him, no other club seems to be in for him and he's getting to the age where he needs to make the CL step up before it's too late.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really? Everton believe they can get that much for Coleman? I'd have thought 15 at most would get him, no other club seems to be in for him and he's getting to the age where he needs to make the CL step up before it's too late.

Sure they wanted 25m for Baines last season. Coleman is as good if not better and is only 25. I don't think he's worth 30m either but i'd be surprised if Everton would let him go for less than 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sure they wanted 25m for Baines last season. Coleman is as good if not better and is only 25. I don't think he's worth 30m either but i'd be surprised if Everton would let him go for less than 25.

Yah, but Baines is a hollywood player because a) he's english and b) he takes free kicks so scores the odd goal. That generally tends to inflate price by £10m at least. I reckon we could get Coleman for a lot less than £25m if we wanted.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yah, but Baines is a hollywood player because a) he's english and b) he takes free kicks so scores the odd goal. That generally tends to inflate price by £10m at least. I reckon we could get Coleman for a lot less than £25m if we wanted.

Coleman got more goals than Baines last season and has been pretty good for assists the last two seasons. He essentially is a younger version of Baines in that he's known as an attacking threat rather than just a good defender. He's not English fair enough but I think Everton would want a bomb for him regardless. Would love to have him though.

Can definitely see Puma sponsored Balotelli being unveiled on July 1st.

Be awesome if Aurier was there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can definitely see Puma sponsored Balotelli being unveiled on July 1st.

Be awesome if Aurier was there too

kit launch is on the 10th, still 2 weeks away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

josh101st wrote: »
    And the ox should of got more game time

well he would have if he wasn't injured.

At least Santi, Ox, Wilshire can now go off for their holidays and get rested up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wenger on whether he's interested in Balotelli (from Arseblog):

“No. No, that’s pure invention. We cannot believe absolutely everything that is on internet or is in newspapers.
    “Sometimes it’s created by agents or by press who needs news. But in that case, it’s not true.”

Sounds like a categorical no and have to say I'm relieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Youre relieved he denied interest in a top quality player? :confused:

gnfnrhead wrote: »

No, I'm relieved he's denied interest in a petulant child. Even his team-mates are sick of him http://www.football-italia.net/51068/de-rossi-we-dont-need-panini-stickers Don't want his bull**** anywhere near our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looper007 wrote: »
    is Shaw really worth that money and is he even that great?

No way is he worth that type of dosh...he has the potential to be excellent but so does every player until they actually achieve it. Cant blame Southampton for getting as much as they can for their players as they have an excellent youth setup and are gonna constantly get raped for their best talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gnfnrhead wrote: »

I think his argument would be that Balotelli is not top quality.

And given his record has been fairly underwhelming bar at Milan where he scored what, 14 league goals in his best season?

Added to that there's the attitude, the antics, the disclipine.

I'm bit sure where people are getting this world class notion of Balotelli.

It seems to me that the minute he emerged in Italy, he was billed as a future star. I don't see that he's done much on the pitch to merit it though.

Would I be right in saying Giroud has a better record across his career.

Now there's no way I'm saying that Giroud is top class so where's the basis for Balotelli?

I think it's hype, a different player who takes different penalties and has a world class attitude and great FIFA stats. He's never backed it up IMO.

Lads that quote means we definitely are in for him surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Have we signed Aurier yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Wenger on whether he's interested in Balotelli (from Arseblog):

“No. No, that’s pure invention. We cannot believe absolutely everything that is on internet or is in newspapers.
    “Sometimes it’s created by agents or by press who needs news. But in that case, it’s not true.”

Love the man and trust him but I dont believe a word out of his mouth when it comes to transfers whether hes admitting or denying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Love the man and trust him but I dont believe a word out of his mouth when it comes to transfers whether hes admitting or denying

Wouldn't want it any other way either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, he'd be some poker player.

"I've got two pair Arsene, let's see your cards"

"What cards? I have no cards, and if I did, I would not be interested in showing my cards"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, he'd be some poker player.

"I've got two pair Arsene, let's see your cards"

"What cards? I have no cards, and if I did, I would not be interested in showing my cards"

"At the moment I have nothing but if I do something you will be the first to know"

Looper007 wrote: »
    well he would have if he wasn't injured.

At least Santi, Ox, Wilshire can now go off for their holidays and get rested up.

true very true indeed sir, yeah all rested up for some pre season action later in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

If we put in an offer for Saurez now would Liverpool bite our hand off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

dinorebel wrote: »
    If we put in an offer for Saurez now would Liverpool bite our hand off?

i wouldnt want him at arsenal

My view on Balotelli had been that if he'd really changed and matured over the last year, then maybe he was worth taking a risk on. But yesterday, he proved again that he's a liability and can't be relied upon. On the biggest stage, he let his country and team-mates down with an embarrassing display. Do we really want a player who has to be taken off at half time in a big match in case he gets himself sent off? At least with Giroud, we know that despite his limitations he'll do his best for the team.

• Advertisement

My view on Balotelli had been that if he'd really changed and matured over the last year, then maybe he was worth taking a risk on. But yesterday, he proved again that he's a liability and can't be relied upon. On the biggest stage, he let his country and team-mates down with an embarrassing display. Do we really want a player who has to be taken off at half time in a big match in case he gets himself sent off? At least with Giroud, we know that despite his limitations he'll do his best for the team.

I agree but don't pay too much attention to the WC.

Otherwise Tim Cahill would be top of our shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

This post isn't just directed at you but I thought I'd post it here cause yous are heavily linked with him (even though I probably sound like a broken record at this stage defending Balotelli :D ) but I have faith he'll prove me right in the long run.

He was poor yesterday but why did he let his team-mates down with an embarrassing display? He played up front in a new formation with Immobile which the two never done before and then he picked up a silly yellow card but his display was hardly embarrassing. Immobile was poor as well and Marchisio arguably cost Italy the game but there's next to no talk of these things.

In April Milan played Roma an were outplayed and lost 2-0. The whole team had a poor game, including Balotelli, yet he was lambasted by the media afterwards and was, as usual, singled out for heavy and unfair criticism. His quotes afterwards summed it perfectly:

‘You always talk about me. When Milan win Mario’s great, but when Milan lose it’s all Mario’s fault. I don’t need your criticism, I criticize myself."

"I never said I’m a top player. I am a perfectly normal player, it’s you that say I am an exceptional player, you always expect me to score five goals a game. You always talk and talk, but there’s no point to saying any of these things. No point at all.’"

He couldn't have said it better. You can't say that Balotelli is not a top player and then constantly criticize him for not playing like a top player. The media-frenzy that surrounds him is unbelievable. He had a good season in a struggling Milan side that changed coach half-way through which didn't help things.

And the talk of his antics is very overplayed as well. He's temperamental on the pitch yes but many players are and not near as bad as other top players. You want see him biting players like Suarez, picking up red cards like they're going out of fashion like Sergio Ramos or Pepe, being a money=grabbing whóre like Rooney or Yaya Toure (Balo took a hefty enough pay-cut to join Milan) so I can't understand the constant witch-hunt against him.

He's 23 years old and is better than Ibrahimovic (my favourite ever player) was at that age. If he goes on to be 70% of the player Ibrahimovic is then he'll be a an absolute gem. I wouldn't believe what Wenger said about not being in for him but we'll know in the next couple of weeks. I'll be absolutely gutted if he leaves but if he goes anywhere then I hope it's to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

"I never said I’m a top player. I am a perfectly normal player, it’s you that say I am an exceptional player

He couldn't have said it better. You can't say that Balotelli is not a top player and then constantly criticize him for not playing like a top player

You honestly believe that? I'm sorry but he has a massive ego.

"Only Messi Is Better Than Me". One of Mr Balotelli's many quotes about himself.

If I was a naval commander in a blockbuster movie from the 80's, I'd claim his ego was writing cheques his body can't cash.

You honestly believe that? I'm sorry but he has a massive ego.

"Only Messi Is Better Than Me". One of Mr Balotelli's many quotes about himself.

If I was a naval commander in a blockbuster movie from the 80's, I'd claim his ego was writing cheques his body can't cash.

Yeah but every player talks themselves up. He's cocky yes but that is hardly enough reason for him to be unfairly criticized after avery sub-par performance.

His performances are constantly compared to Messi and Ronaldo in the media and how he pales in comparison to them but they are unrealistic comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

If you claim you are only a little behind Messi, if you claim you are better than Ronaldo, if you claim these things and then don't perform, then you get what you deserve in the media.

There are plenty of average strikers out there. It's not a crime. It wouldn't be a big issue if he didn't talk himself up so much. If he showed a bit of humility and cut out the Zlatan/Bentdner style nonsense people might cut him some slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

The media in general are sh*tebags though to be fair.

Yeah but every player talks themselves up. He's cocky yes but that is hardly enough reason for him to be unfairly criticized after avery sub-par performance.

His performances are constantly compared to Messi and Ronaldo in the media and how he pales in comparison to them but they are unrealistic comparisons.

I don't think anyone here is using that comparison.

People in this thread are posting that we should buy him because he's top/world class.

Others are disputing that.

Anyone basing their opinion on the World Cup or on conparisons with Messi probably hasn't thought about it too much.

If you claim you are only a little behind Messi, if you claim you are better than Ronaldo, if you claim these things and then don't perform, then you get what you deserve in the media.

There are plenty of average strikers out there. It's not a crime. It wouldn't be a big issue if he didn't talk himself up so much. If he showed a bit of humility and cut out the Zlatan/Bentdner style nonsense people might cut him some slack.
    I'm after posting a quote of his saying that he doesn't think he's a top player though? He has talked himself up in the past but it'd be naive to think that players don't do this. He's certainly matured in the last 18 months as well. The fact is that he was a hero after they bet England and then he was the villain after they lost to Costa Rica and now he's the scapegoat because they're out.

This is the reason why I think Wenger won't go for him though, not because he's not good enough but because Arsenal are probably the top English club that is most shielded from press interference and huge credit has to be given to Wenger for that. Hard to see him inviting in the media circus when he could go for other targets but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

How did Kalou play last night? Was Wenger watching :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »

Better than Balotelli did yesterday :pac:

gosplan wrote: »

People in this thread are posting that we should buy him because he's top/world class.

Anyone basing their opinion on the World Cup or on conparisons with Messi probably hasn't thought about it too much.
    Well put it this way. I don't think he's one of the top 10 strikers in the world at the minute, but I think that he will be one of the best 5 strikers in the world within 3 years and could become one of the best players in the world within 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But a lot of people in this thread are doing exactly that judging him on this world cup and on his reputation alone. A loose cannon he has been called yet he has has very little disciplinary issues at Milan he gets a yellow yesterday and gets lambasted and not much mention of the actual red card that cost Italy the game.

Also remember we took RVP who at the time came with a lot of promise but a really bad reputation so much so we got him at a knock down price. Wenger is not afraid to take on players some deem troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

wonga77 wrote: »

Never gets old that one.

Wait, it actually does....... very old :(

:D:D

But a lot of people in this thread are doing exactly that judging him on this world cup and on his reputation alone. A loose cannon he has been called yet he has has very little disciplinary issues at Milan he gets a yellow yesterday and gets lambasted and not much mention of the actual red card that cost Italy the game.

Also remember we took RVP who at the time came with a lot of promise but a really bad reputation so much so we got him at a knock down price. Wenger is not afraid to take on players some deem troublesome.

Whatever you judge him on we shouldn't sign him.

Strike rate, mentality, application - none of it is there.

As Smithwicks Man said, the main thing is potential.

I just think that the vast vast majority of the time, we'd be spending more to replace/upgrade him in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Whatever you judge him on we shouldn't sign him.

Strike rate, mentality, application - none of it is there.

As Smithwicks Man said, the main thing is potential.

I just think that the vast vast majority of the time, we'd be spending more to replace/upgrade him in 2 years.

And to add to that if his development is successful and he does become a world class player, I'm sure he'll kick up a fit to why he isn't playing for Real Madrid

Speaking of world class players, Bendtner is now a free agent, how much does that free up in terms of wages??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

byrneg28 wrote: »
    And to add to that if his development is successful and he does become a world class player, I'm sure he'll kick up a fit to why he isn't playing for Real Madrid

Speaking of world class players, Bendtner is now a free agent, how much does that free up in terms of wages??

The greatest striker in the world was reported to be on £52k per week.

byrneg28 wrote: »

And I'd also say that a huge amount of the time he wouldn't get Giroud out of the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

If we hold on to Vermaelen, would people be happy with Sanchez, Schneiderlin, Aurier and a back-up keeper?
    Would represent a good summer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Rocket_Man wrote: »
    If we hold on to Vermaelen, would people be happy with Sanchez, Schneiderlin, Aurier and a back-up keeper?

We still need another striker.
    Add Remy to that list and we'd be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

While that would be ideal no way are we gonna sign 5 players. I hope im wrong but 3 will be the max, if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Would love to put Remy in as well and I hope we will, but just thinking we might be OK not signing a second striker with Giroud, Walcott, Podolski and Sanchez all capable of playing up top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

A very realistic objective which I like

With the addition that the back up keeper ACTUALLY challenges Szczesny. Szczesny is a hero of mine but I think he can lose focus very easily when he's not in competition with a decent keeper

Debuchy hinting he wants to play Champions League football could see Wenger being interested but could also see Pardew wanting close to a Gareth Bale valuation for him living in the clouds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Campbell could fill the role of the extra striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Godge wrote: »
    Campbell could fill the role of the extra striker.

If we get Sanchez i'd say thats what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Campbell would be a far better investment. Remy would be a major step backwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement