Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/25/jack-wilshere-england-arsenal-time-running-out

Good article on Wilshire and words from the man himself. He showed in England's last game that he can be a special player, I think this season will be his make or break season, either he be a force in our midfield or he be a Ray Parlour type that come on a do a job here and there when he's needed. Would love for him to come out next season not been injured and having a major impact for us. Another stop starter for him and I think he be a squad player rather then the special player he once promised to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Reports this morning not sure how reliable that scanhez fancys a move to us

Now there is a quailty signing

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Phil Thompson saying Sanchez to Liverpool is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Reports this morning not sure how reliable that scanhez fancys a move to us

Now there is a quailty signing

Good few Liverpool fans claiming he was definitely joining them. All because of Phil Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Unless you actually mean Scanhez, another unknown Wenger signing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Unless you actually mean Scanhez, another unknown Wenger signing?

Phil Thompson said he heard it from a journalist. Even fans on rawk are saying he hasn't a breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Phil Thompson :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If Liverpool are close to signing Shaqiri then i'd make little sense for them to blow more cash on Sanchez who plays the same position.

This is how I see this playing out.

Sanchez - Arsenal
    Barcelona use Sanchez money for Suarez
    Liverpool then sign some players
    Shaqiri - Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arsenal squad currently:

Goalkeeper: Wojciech Szczęsny

Right back: Carl Jenkinson

Left back: Kieran Gibbs, Nacho Monreal, Thomas Vermaelen

Centre backs: Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertasacker, Thomas Vermaelen

Centre midfield: Mikel Arteta, Mathieu Flamini, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey.

Attacking midfielders: Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Lukas Podolski, Santi Cazorla, Serge Gnabry, Joel Campbell, Mesut Ozil, Tomas Rosicky.

Strikers: Oliver Giroud, Yaya Sanago.

Stiker, Goalkeeper and Right back have to be the prioritys looking at that. I cant see us signing a Griezmann or Draxler looking at the option we have for attacking midfield.

If we only sign 3 players, It has to be a right back, goalkeeper and Striker. Hopefully a Central midfielder aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

You'll be getting a much better player in Alexis Sanchez than Shaqiri

The defence is looking awfully threadbare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is the Djourou deal defo done? I know he is useless but wouldnt mind him as fourth choice for a year.

Aurier can play RB,CB and Defensive mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Aurier can play RB,CB and Defensive mid.

Shite, dont tell Wenger. He'll try him out at CF as well.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is the Djourou deal defo done? I know he is useless but wouldnt mind him as fourth choice for a year.

Hes beyond bad imo and afaik its a done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

We need at least 2 more center halves imo, Prem league, champs league, fa cup defence, captial one, the inevitable injuries, we need cover, squad depth has been such a factor for us the last few years, i say sign an experienced center halve and a decent young one. i.e. Shawcross and Umtiti or something.

We need at least 2 more center halves imo, Prem league, champs league, fa cup defence, captial one, the inevitable injuries, we need cover, squad depth has been such a factor for us the last few years, i say sign an experienced center halve and a decent young one. i.e. Shawcross and Umtiti or something.

NO! :mad:

NO! :mad:

Haha sorry i know him and Ramsey won't enjoy each others company, was just an example of an experienced CB :D

A back up GK ( a must)
    A Right Back ( a must)
    Two centre backs (at least one)
    A defensive midfielder ( big importance)
    a left winger with pace ( it's not important but we need a bit of pace out the wings)
    A top quality centre forward and a back up striker ( Top quality forward is a must for sure)

That's what we need imo.

Just a question, everyone on here seems to think we need a DM but i personally think wilshere,ramsey,ozil is fine, wilshere holding and ramsey helping out defensively...i don't see a massive problem with that, i mean if we buy a DM who are we gonna leave out? Wilshere is what most will say i think, and what does that mean for him? a few starts and a lot of substitute appearences? that's not what he needs, he needs as much football as possible, there is no way your leaving Ramsey out so what the option? DM wilshere and Ramsey attacking with Ozil on the bench? I don't like that either :/

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    A back up GK ( a must)
    A Right Back ( a must)
    Two centre backs (at least one)
    A defensive midfielder ( big importance)
    a left winger with pace ( it's not important but we need a bit of pace out the wings)
    A top quality centre forward and a back up striker ( Top quality forward is a must for sure)

That's what we need imo.

I tell ya now, we will not be signing 7 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

"Arsenal can confirm that 11 players will be leaving the club when their contracts officially expire on June 30.
    Nicklas Bendtner and Ju Young Park come to the end of their contracts, while Kim Kallstrom and Emiliano Viviano’s loan spells are set to conclude.
    As already communicated, Bacary Sagna, Lukasz Fabianski and Zak Ansah have completed permanent moves to Manchester City, Swansea City and Charlton Athletic respectively.
    Meanwhile, academy players Chuks Aneke, Daniel Boateng, Zach Fagan and Leander Siemann also depart having reached the end of their current agreements.
    Everyone at Arsenal would like to take this opportunity to thank all of these players for their contribution to the club, and to wish them well for the future.
    "
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140626/club-announces-11-player-departures

Just a question, everyone on here seems to think we need a DM but i personally think wilshere,ramsey,ozil is fine, wilshere holding and ramsey helping out defensively...i don't see a massive problem with that, i mean if we buy a DM who are we gonna leave out? Wilshere is what most will say i think, and what does that mean for him? a few starts and a lot of substitute appearences? that's not what he needs, he needs as much football as possible, there is no way your leaving Ramsey out so what the option? DM wilshere and Ramsey attacking with Ozil on the bench? I don't like that either :/

Wilshere simple isn't good enough defensively to play the holding role.
    He also isn't disciplined enough.

"Arsenal can confirm that 11 players will be leaving the club when their contracts officially expire on June 30.
    Nicklas Bendtner and Ju Young Park come to the end of their contracts, while Kim Kallstrom and Emiliano Viviano’s loan spells are set to conclude.
    As already communicated, Bacary Sagna, Lukasz Fabianski and Zak Ansah have completed permanent moves to Manchester City, Swansea City and Charlton Athletic respectively.
    Meanwhile, academy players Chuks Aneke, Daniel Boateng, Zach Fagan and Leander Siemann also depart having reached the end of their current agreements.
    Everyone at Arsenal would like to take this opportunity to thank all of these players for their contribution to the club, and to wish them well for the future.
    "

No surprises there, pretty much what i did at the start of Career mode in FIFA 14 with the exception of Sagna :L

Wilshere simple isn't good enough defensively to play the holding role.
    He also isn't disciplined enough.

So what do we do with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

A lot of people here want a new DM.

Understandable but does anyone believe that AW will even consider buying anyone for that position?

He has Arteta and Flamini, that's two players that he seems happy to play in that position.

If you ask me, forget any notion of a DM for this season at least

So what do we do with him?

Well there's plenty of players he can replace. Cazorla,Pod or even Ozil and Ramsey when they're injured/need a rest.

He'll get game time..

Well there's plenty of players he can replace. Cazorla,Pod or even Ozil and Ramsey when they're injured/need a rest.

He'll get game time..

I don't think replacing Podolski or Ozil is a good thing, he's poor on the wing, he needs to be in the middle bossing the game like he used to, look at how poor Ramsey was playing on the left for 2012/2013 season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Lucky number for the summer - 40,000,002

I tell ya now, we will not be signing 7 players.

:pac: of course we won't but if I was manager that's what I think is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

rock whore wrote: »
    A lot of people here want a new DM.

Understandable but does anyone believe that AW will even consider buying anyone for that position?

He has Arteta and Flamini, that's two players that he seems happy to play in that position.

If you ask me, forget any notion of a DM for this season at least

It's actually probably the most crucial area imo that we make a signing. everyone goes on about a striker but there's enough in Ozil/Walcott/Giroud/Cazorla et al to manage. Where we got absolutely mullered last year in the heavy defeats was teams just cutting through us. I love me Mikel but the guy is 33 and his legs are going if not gone.

Squadwise I'm not sure we're in a great place tbh. You are talking circa 7 players to considerably improve us, and as has been said, that ain't gonna happen.

Realistically were not signing 7 players. 5 at a an absolute maximum imo.

I can see us signing a goalkeeper, right back and a striker. Hopefully a central midfielder.

I can see us getting a defender in on loan maybe.

Will still be very surprised with more than 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I wonder how the Suarez ban (if it stays as is) will affect the whole strikers' moving around.
    Supposing of course, that any of the rumours are true and we are in for a big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Should really take Song back for the DM at a reduced price of course.....Ocoha (Mexican Keeper) on a free should be a priority TBH. That way we have 2 key areas filled for little or nothing. Arteta cant run to save his life anymore and is not a great tackler even if he could run.

Flamini is not flashy in the least but he does exactly what it says on the tin....a really good squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't want Song anywhere near Arsenal was never good enough in the first place.

It's a non starter anyway because there's no chance of Wenger taking him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Looper007 wrote: »
    :pac: of course we won't but if I was manager that's what I think is needed.

And that's why you're not a manager, look what signing in excess of 100million did to Tottenham

byrneg28 wrote: »
    And that's why you're not a manager, look what signing in excess of 100million did to Tottenham

Nothing wrong with spending £100m if done correctly. Look at Real last season.

well if you buy correctly and smartly then you don't have to be excessive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Definitely wouldn't want Song back. I have a feeling we won't be signing 5 players. Maybe a couple of loans for 2nd choice Keeper and the 4th CB.

7 players doesnt mean 100Mil Striker 1 20-30 Striker 2 15-20 cdm 10 rb 10 cb 10 cb loan gk free transfer...80 Max. Just 1 example.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with spending £100m if done correctly. Look at Real last season.

Sorry I didn't explain myself well enough, and you're probably going to argue with this as well but I just don't think bringing 7 players instantly into a line up works great.

You instantly have to start experimenting with your squad

You could get some of the transfers wrong by spending unwisely (which has happened to Arsenal on countless occasions)

Yes Arsenal are shallow in places but I don't think it justifies bringing in 7 players. It would disrupt the squad too much.

They definitely aren't shallow in midfield for starts , so I'm not going to argue in that sense and sometimes forget players like Gnabry who are coming up through the system too and even the recently returned Diaby, there are SO many options in midfield. So for this I would propose one Defensive Midfielder, with Flamini being a back up for whoever that is.

Only one right back is required and preferably one who is versatile enough to play central defense and for added bonus is competent on the left. Jenkinson will compete with this player as I think people highly underrate Jenkinson, he is young, shows some nerves and has been in Sagna's shadow, I think he will develop into a fantastic player. His crossing and speed down the flanks is particularly impressive (vs Montpellier in Champions League 2012 and vs. Sunderland Premier League 2013/14 two examples), he needs to develop his defensive attributes a little more as he is sometimes raw.

A back-up goalkeeper and by back-up a keeper who will challenge Szczesny and continue to develop Szczesny as a goalkeeper.

And ONE striker, ONE. Yes you can argue we need a world class striker etc. but how many are available and for a decent price. Cavani was 60 million and in my opinion he's fairly poor in comparison to his price, he scuffs real opportunities and if Arsenal spent money like this on a striker like that after keeping money for so long it would be an unwise decision. There is too many teams like Real, Chelsea and PSG gazumping players and prospects just to eliminate competition. Arsenal will have Giroud, Joel Campbell, Walcott and Sanogo as strike options (Campbell and Walcott for midfield options too). Giroud should play as a linking target man centre forward to feed a real goal scorer up front.

And if Vermaelen leaves a Centre Back. but that's like for like.

That's 4 players. I don't think signing 7 players is wise. It would create issues with the squad that's already blended so well together. As many people have stated already priorities

GK, RB, DM and ST. It doesn't even mean spending 100m, the GK option - Ochoa (Free Agent), Right Back - Aurier (10m), Defensive Midfielder - Schneiderlin (10-15m unsure of evaluation) and one striker who can SCORE GOALS (30m+)

That's around 50m.

Sorry I didn't explain myself well enough, and you're probably going to argue with this as well but I just don't think bringing 7 players instantly into a line up works great.

You instantly have to start experimenting with your squad

You could get some of the transfers wrong by spending unwisely (which has happened to Arsenal on countless occasions)

Yes Arsenal are shallow in places but I don't think it justifies bringing in 7 players. It would disrupt the squad too much.

They definitely aren't shallow in midfield for starts , so I'm not going to argue in that sense and sometimes forget players like Gnabry who are coming up through the system too and even the recently returned Diaby, there are SO many options in midfield. So for this I would propose one Defensive Midfielder, with Flamini being a back up for whoever that is.

Only one right back is required and preferably one who is versatile enough to play central defense and for added bonus is competent on the left. Jenkinson will compete with this player as I think people highly underrate Jenkinson, he is young, shows some nerves and has been in Sagna's shadow, I think he will develop into a fantastic player. His crossing and speed down the flanks is particularly impressive (vs Montpellier in Champions League 2012 and vs. Sunderland Premier League 2013/14 two examples), he needs to develop his defensive attributes a little more as he is sometimes raw.

A back-up goalkeeper and by back-up a keeper who will challenge Szczesny and continue to develop Szczesny as a goalkeeper.

And ONE striker, ONE. Yes you can argue we need a world class striker etc. but how many are available and for a decent price. Cavani was 60 million and in my opinion he's fairly poor in comparison to his price, he scuffs real opportunities and if Arsenal spent money like this on a striker like that after keeping money for so long it would be an unwise decision. There is too many teams like Real, Chelsea and PSG gazumping players and prospects just to eliminate competition. Arsenal will have Giroud, Joel Campbell, Walcott and Sanogo as strike options (Campbell and Walcott for midfield options too). Giroud should play as a linking target man centre forward to feed a real goal scorer up front.

And if Vermaelen leaves a Centre Back. but that's like for like.

That's 4 players. I don't think signing 7 players is wise. It would create issues with the squad that's already blended so well together. As many people have stated already priorities

GK, RB, DM and ST. It doesn't even mean spending 100m, the GK option - Ochoa (Free Agent), Right Back - Aurier (10m), Defensive Midfielder - Schneiderlin (10-15m unsure of evaluation) and one striker who can SCORE GOALS (30m+)

That's around 50m.

I wasnt referring to number of players though. We could spend £100m on 4 top top quality players \Arsene accent.

We need 4-5 players. Thats a fact.

@byrneg28 Your priorities are perfect except for the need for at LEAST 1 good center halve, so that's at least 5 players, not too far off 7, and were talking about bringing in 7 players to the squad not the starting 11 so there will be very little disruption?

keano_afc wrote: »
    I wasnt referring to number of players though. We could spend £100m on 4 top top quality players \Arsene accent.

We need 4-5 players. Thats a fact.

Sorry few tangled wires, I was replying to the person who said we need to sign 7 players, and my Tottenham example involved money! Then you replied to that example etc. etc.

Crossed wires my bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness, why would we want a load of 10 million players?

Think big Arsne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

10 mill on a fullback seems fair to me but not a penny more,

Have no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

City, Chelsea, United and Liverpool all doing business now. Not gonna complain yet but would like to see a bit of a move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

With Suarez out for a large chunk of next season can a club activate his Champions League release clause? He won't be in Rodgers squad he has to submit to UEFA in September (although may be back in the new year after the group stages).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

DenMan wrote: »
    With Suarez out for a large chunk of next season can a club activate his Champions League release clause? He won't be in Rodgers squad he has to submit to UEFA in September (although may be back in the new year after the group stages).

he can be transferred but there's no CL release clause, just a release clause apparently

& he's only going to miss 3 CL games, no reason they won't included him in their squad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement