Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

Raf32 wrote: »
    City, Chelsea, United and Liverpool all doing business now. Not gonna complain yet but would like to see a bit of a move on.

\bangs head off desk...

1St.
    July.
    Puma.
    Deal.
    Nothing.
    NOTHING.
    Will.
    Be.
    Announced.
    Til.
    Then.

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its also my birthday so I'm expecting Neymar, Messi, Muller and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

\bangs head off desk...

1St.
    July.
    Puma.
    Deal.
    Nothing.
    NOTHING.
    Will.
    Be.
    Announced.
    Til.
    Then.

Jesus.

Just feels the same last year with the "audacious stunt" spectacle tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Raf32 wrote: »
    City, Chelsea, United and Liverpool all doing business now. Not gonna complain yet but would like to see a bit of a move on.

Don't worry, Arsene's on it!

BrFLM6fCYAA9Vpa.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Relax he turned down cesc

He has something planned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

\bangs head off desk...

1St.
    July.
    Puma.
    Deal.
    Nothing.
    NOTHING.
    Will.
    Be.
    Announced.
    Til.
    Then.

Jesus.

\bangs head off desk...

10th.
    July.
    Puma.
    Deal.
    told.
    you.
    that.
    the.
    other.
    day.

+.
    waiting.
    until.
    then.
    is.
    actually.
    clutching.
    at.
    straws.
    you.
    don't.
    have.
    to.
    unveil.
    the.
    player.
    when.
    you.
    agree.
    a.
    deal.
    it.
    could.
    be.
    announced.
    and.
    probably.
    would.
    because.
    of.
    clubs.
    being.
    publicly.
    listed.

Deity with no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

It is winter in wenger land. Hibernation until mid august. Let the man sleep in peace. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Coleman signs a new contract with Everton. Was unlikely anyway but one to strike off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I really don't think there is any great plan to announce players when new Puma deal starts. I do think deals want happen until after it but there be lots of disappointed folk if they think it's all going to come together on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Wenger always waits until near the end, so he doesn't alert other teams to who he is looking at
    signing.

Let's be honest a lot of clubs like to see who he is looking at and would love to swoop in.

He could be spurs, man city, barca and Chelseas scout all in one when he retires !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

egghead. wrote: »
    Wenger always waits until near the end, so he doesn't alert other teams to who he is looking at
    signing.

Let's be honest a lot of clubs like to see who he is looking at and would love to swoop in.

He could be spurs, man city, barca and Chelseas scout all in one when he retires !

There are pros and cons to signing late though.
    The good players are nearly all gone and those left can demand better terms as they know its late and the club has to act. Players signed late also have less time to settle into the team too. Shopping early is the way to go in my view.

There are pros and cons to signing late though.
    The good players are nearly all gone and those left can demand better terms as they know its late and the club has to act. Players signed late also have less time to settle into the team too. Shopping early is the way to go in my view.

I agree, just trying to understand Wengers thinking.

\bangs head off desk...

1St.
    July.
    Puma.
    Deal.
    Nothing.
    NOTHING.
    Will.
    Be.
    Announced.
    Til.
    Then.

Jesus.

You on the 1st of July:

arrested-development-fishing.png?w=650&h=430

egghead. wrote: »
    signing.

I don't think that's the reason, I think he is just indecisive and too economical in the market today.

Clubs have scouts everywhere and it's near on impossible to find an unknown gem.

If he got about his business early we would have players settling in during pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't think that's the reason, I think he is just indecisive and too economical in the market today.

That's part of it. But everyone is forgetting Arsenal have a really settled playing style for the few seasons. Finally the club is in the place where we're not forced to change up the team just because someone wants to leave. Wenger wants to take advantage of that, so he is as much prioritizing bringing in players who will complement the existing playing style, rather than disrupt it by forcing him to change shape to accomodate new faces.

Unfortunately for us, Barcelona and Bayern are the only big clubs who also adhere to this kind of stability (the bulk of the rest are just happy to waste resources), but while they have allure to combine with the bottomless pockets of their local governments and domestic industry who fund them, we're still paying off debt thanks to being shafted by the Borough of Islington and other local government in London over the Emirates. And that just conspires to put further restrictions on the set of players available to us.

Were not as stuck for cash as you make out.

I agree with your point on a settled team, the difference between us and Bayern/Barca is that they are settled with a world class team we are consistent at 4th. It needs investment in the right areas to compete.

I am fearful more this summer because if Wenger is going to go for it then it has to be this summer if he doesn't I fear 3 more years of the same.

I am catiously optimistic though

Were not as stuck for cash as you make out.

No we're not, that's true. But Bayern have the security in the sense that if they **** up on the finances front, Adidas or Audi or one of the other big German Industrial Heavyweights will step in to bail them out, as has happened in the past. Madrid and Barca have the same security, where local government and Santander have bailed them out in the past.

We don't have that security, in the sense we get cash balances wrong for one season and that potentially means the taxman goes to the courts to appoint a receiver. We've less margin of error and thus have to be more cautious with our investments.
    I am fearful more this summer because if Wenger is going to go for it then it has to be this summer if he doesn't I fear 3 more years of the same.

Again, I think the focus on transfers is a bit misplaced. We're moving in the right direction, and they key players are tied down to long term contracts. Everyone talks about needing 5-7 players, but we already have a squad who've shown they capable of challenging for the league (assuming they stay fit of course :rolleyes:). This season is more about getting more out of those already on the books than anything else. Walcott for example, only got 6 goals last season, hopefully we can get him back to scoring double digits again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I approve of Wengers newest signing!

mG0uy6R.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Had we made early signings last summer, we wouldnt have Özil right now. Quality is worth waiting for. No point is accepting an average player just to get someone in early when someone better could become available. I doubt Wenger turned Fabregas down without knowing someone else is likely to become available in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Had we made early signings last summer, we wouldnt have Özil right now. Quality is worth waiting for. No point is accepting an average player just to get someone in early when someone better could become available. I doubt Wenger turned Fabregas down without knowing someone else is likely to become available in the coming weeks.

Fair enough with the Striker and a DM ( if we are in for) but surely we could have added a right back and a backup gk by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Can't believe United just blew £30 million on a less impressive fullback than Gibbs. He's a few years younger, admittedly, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can't believe United just blew £30 million on a less impressive fullback than Gibbs. He's a few years younger, admittedly, but still.

28mil on Herrera too, though they're waiting until their new sponsorship deal (like arsenal) with Chevrolet kicks in to announce him

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=zcivKKp_kh1bgM&tbnid=6DjYqye_wY_XoM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.record.xl.pt%2F891415&ei=9PusU-DaAael0wW044DwCA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNGNVqYGXxXCOQCcw1TanLazTmOUoA&ust=1403931341694630ng33933A47-6B4F-4DAC-825F-7F8893C436A0.jpg?type=big

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

This should help out things in perspective last season we waited people panicked and we got Ozil or we could do a United and spunk over 60 million on potential of two players. I'm certaainly not envious of the business United have done find it funny more so that there desperation has led them to being taken to the cleaners.

Just like Spurs last season getting your business done early doesn't always equate to a good transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The United fans are very happy and excited with their new signings. I can't help but feel that they've spent 60m for two 15m players, but I don't begrudge their happiness and excitement.
    Meanwhile we play the usual transfer window game of Remain Calm, there's a plan.
    Even though I'm not convinced that there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wenger will get the best player he can to go into the first team.

An Ozil signing for CF or LWF.

Then we'll get a right back and a couple of squad players.

Mark my words though - only one of the signings will be anything to get excited about. But it'll be really good. Sanchez, Grizemann or better.

Bender, Suarez, Higuain, Draxler - these are the players he's been chasing since Arsenal 2.0 began.

That's the quality he wants.

• Advertisement

Coleman signs a new 5 year contract with Everton so wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

Bah... I was still harbouring slim hopes that we would try to tempt him away. :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I approve of Wengers newest signing!

mG0uy6R.jpg

I saw that pic in the "hotties" thread but I didn't even see Wenger until you pointed him out there. :o

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I saw that pic in the "hotties" thread but I didn't even see Wenger until you pointed him out there. :o

You saying Wenger isn't one of the hotties! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

shano_88 wrote: »
    Coleman signs a new contract with Everton. Was unlikely anyway but one to strike off the list.

Contracts mean nothing in football. Rooney signed a new deal with them just before he signed for United

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Express saying we're going to move for Bender again, also Metro saying we've changed our mind about Aurier and are going for Debuchy instead. (no links because it's just the gossip column on F365 I saw it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I hate the transfer window so much, just stop with the rumors and crap and just let everyone know when someone is 100% signed.
    My poor mind can't deal with it all.

Express saying we're going to move for Bender again, also Metro saying we've changed our mind about Aurier and are going for Debuchy instead. (no links because it's just the gossip column on F365 I saw it)

The Sun is running with the Debuchy story as well not a bad player and keeping Sagna out of the French side

I hate the transfer window so much, just stop with the rumors and crap and just let everyone know when someone is 100% signed.
    My poor mind can't deal with it all.

Youve just got to learn to speculate and discuss with really believing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Youve just got to learn to speculate and discuss with really believing it

This along with avoiding Twitter helps massively Twitter at this time the year could drive any fan round the bend it's just speculation over load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

This along with avoiding Twitter helps massively Twitter at this time the year could drive any fan round the bend it's just speculation over load.

This x1000 I actually don't have a facebook/twitter etc however in work which is where i am mon-fri 9-530 i have a company twitter open all day and i may have accidentally followed like all the Arsenal pages :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Wait until end of July then start worrying and then if we get into the first game of the season with no new signings then we can all go crazy :D

I personally think Wenger has who he wants probably waiting until his TV work is over and the world cup to announce them.

The Sun is running with the Debuchy story as well not a bad player and keeping Sagna out of the French side

Sagna is a much better fullback than Debuchy. Cant believe he keeps him out of the French side to be honest.

The "wait until the Puma deal is signed" line as an excuse for waiting for signings is hilarious in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sagna is a much better fullback than Debuchy. Cant believe he keeps him out of the French side to be honest.

The "wait until the Puma deal is signed" line as an excuse for waiting for signings is hilarious in the extreme.

I think it's plausible to an extent that they'd want any announcements after the launch, just not something I'd pin my hopes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

To be honest the negativity on here bothers me more than anything I read on Twitter. Then again it's easier to pick and choose who you read on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

To be honest the negativity on here bothers me more than anything I read on Twitter. Then again it's easier to pick and choose who you read on Twitter

• Advertisement

I think it's plausible to an extent that they'd want any announcements after the launch, just not something I'd pin my hopes on.

Definitely plausible, but its a little naive to think that we have signings locked in a warehouse in a shiny new Puma home shirt champing at the bit waiting to be unveiled on July 1st. The kit launch will come and go without any impact on transfer activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

44m for this bloke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Vidal

a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

a joke?

Who , where you getting that from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

keano_afc wrote: »

Anytime I've seen Debuchy and Sagna for France, it's always Debuchy who looks better.

Sagna looks better for Arsenal but I think it helps that he has far better players around him. I think Debuchy would be an excellent replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

a joke?

Wenger: "Vidal is one of the best midfielders in the world, he has an incredible stamina, a perfect timing"

He's a superb player, would be over the moon if we got him.

Vidal would make no sense, he's a central midfielder ain't he? And not a defensive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Vidal would make no sense, he's a central midfielder ain't he? And not a defensive one.
    He's actually very good defensively. Would be a total waste of his attacking talent mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where did this Vidal rumor come from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We don't need a defensive midfielder that's only there to defend. I'd say moreso a box to box midfielder that's more defensively capable than Ramsey/Wilshere.

• Advertisement

We don't need a defensive midfielder that's only there to defend. I'd say moreso a box to box midfielder that's more defensively capable than Ramsey/Wilshere.

True, Flamini/Arteta aren't out and out DMs maybe Wenger just wants an upgrade on them. I've changed my mind, break the bank for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement