Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Vidal is the best out and out CM in the world.

Absolutely no chance in hell we are getting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Vidal would be such a good signing even if we don't strictly need him. I think the likes of Javi Martinez would be a better buy though - more defensively minded, can pass the ball around handy, and can fill in at centre half. Not that there's a hope in hell of us getting him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We don't need a defensive midfielder that's only there to defend. I'd say MORESO a box to box midfielder that's more defensively capable than Ramsey/Wilshere.

I was wondering who Moreso was when I read that first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

We don't need a defensive midfielder that's only there to defend. I'd say moreso a box to box midfielder that's more defensively capable than Ramsey/Wilshere.

This is spot on I think. I don't think Wenger wants a purely defensive mid. Someone like Vidal with Ramsey in a so called double pivot could be very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

44m for this bloke? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Vidal

a joke?

Vidal is fantastic and an instant upgrade on Arteta, Flamini, Wilshere, Diaby and Rosicky.

Would be over the moon if we signed him, he's one of the best midfielders in Europe. Vidal and Ramsey in behind Ozil would be a cracking midfield against all but the top teams where we'd need to put in someone who offers a little more protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

salmocab wrote: »
    I was wondering who Moreso was when I read that first

He's class in Fifa :P

He's class in Fifa :P

Oh yeah I remember him now great player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Vidal would make no sense, he's a central midfielder ain't he? And not a defensive one.

Would be a great signing him and Ramsey would def be able to play a 2 in midfield

And see it happening though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Who knows maybe it was Vidals agent he met and not Alexis's

Oh it's just the Metro linking us.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's been linked very strongly with united haven't heard any links with us at all, though now I google it I see where jonny got the 44m figure from: http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/27/arsenal-to-make-44million-transfer-offer-for-juventus-dynamo-arturo-vidal-4777506/

I refuse to believe United would be a more attractive destination than us at this moment in time.

It is metro though, they probably made the whole thing up after Wenger said something nice during a match commentary.

That article also says Arteta is linked with Bilbao.

We'll certainly be going for Remy and having Campbell as our new signing for the wings if they spend that much on Vidal.

I'd be happy with Vidal, Remy Cambell and Aurier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd say Wenger went to Vidal Sassoon for a haircut and the tabloids got their wires crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I hope you realise the Metro is the same paper that claimed we have signed Alvaro Morata and Julian Draxler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It's really, really unlikely that Vidal would be going anywhere this Summer. Juve would be likely to cash in on Pogba if they get an offer big enough, but Vidal is their best player at the moment, and, more importantly, the only reason Pirlo is still able to play because of the protection and space Vidal provides due to the face he can do the running and presssing of two men. If Juve were to sell Vidal they'd actually risk Conte walking out on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

United have signed Shaw and Herrara, Chelsea have signed Fabregas, Liverpool have signed Can, Lambert and closing in on Lallana, City have signed Sagna and Fernando........Arsenals manager is playing beach football in Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

shano_88 wrote: »
    United have signed Shaw and Herrara, Chelsea have signed Fabregas, Liverpool have signed Can, Lambert and closing in on Lallana, City have signed Sagna and Fernando........Arsenals manager is playing beach football in Rio.

Of all those players, the only ones I'd have the slightest interest in are Fabregas, Fernando and Sagna.

I'd much prefer we sign nobody till August than have our summer business done early but only consist of the likes of Lambert, Lallana, Herrera and Can.

Of all those players, the only ones I'd have the slightest interest in are Fabregas, Fernando and Sagna.

I'd much prefer we sign nobody till August than have our summer business done early but only consist of the likes of Lambert, Lallana, Herrera and Can.

Thats not really the point. They have different targets in different positions but there getting it done currently.

Who knows whats going on in the background? But it looks far from promising considering lasts summers disastrous window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

A midfield trio of Vidal, Ramsey and Ozil would be the best in the world for me !

Would be shocked if it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Jaysus, are people seriously moaning that we havn't signed anyone yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What's Van Gaal doing?
    Do you know what Mourinho and Rodgers are going in their spare time?

You'll be sure that if there's Arsenal work to be done by AW while he's in Brazil, he'll be doing it.

Jesus Christ the people moaning about Wenger being seen on a beach are embarrassing.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    What's Van Gaal doing?
    Do you know what Mourinho and Rodgers are going in their spare time?

You'll be sure that if there's Arsenal work to be done by AW while he's in Brazil, he'll be doing it.

I dont know but targets seem to be getting signed.

Every other team has strengthens except Arsenal and i fear that we will be signing most of our players in late August again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arsenals manager is playing beach football in Rio.

Ah yes but have you not seen who he is playing beach volley ball with :D

I wouldn't blame him.

As an optimist I am more than comfortable waiting to see who we sign.

United have just been done on their two signing so far.

Chelsea have a player who probably doesn't suit Joses mantra and are probably signing another in Costa who has been very disappointing at the WC.

Liverpool have made a couple of good signings but the uncertainty about Suarez is now unhinged them totally and probably thrown their plans into disarray.

If we hit August and no one has been signed then we can all start panicking but it is totally premature to throw your toys out of the pram at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Thats not really the point. They have different targets in different positions but there getting it done currently.

Who knows whats going on in the background? But it looks far from promising considering lasts summers disastrous window.
    It's the quality rather than the players specifically I mean. Blowing what I'd imagine is our entire budget on a teenager with one good season behind him and an uncapped player from Bilbao nobody else seems to have ever wanted wouldn't please me at all. And Lallana, Lambert, and Can are just a level or two below where I'd hope we'd be shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

article-0-1F2B333B00000578-312_306x470.jpg

article-0-1F2B333B00000578-312_306x470.jpg

Is that a spoiler from new Bond movie?

Where did this Vidal rumor come from

from a forum which is as good twitter lol

Is that a spoiler from new Bond movie?

yup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Apart from Sagna(free agent) and Fabegas(told to pack his bags by Barca), I don't see any good players moving anywhere yet.

They're all kind of busy.

LOL's at people getting worked up about Can, Lambert etc.

Is this going to be another Soldado/Osvaldo summer? Remamber last year when suddenly Roma had the greatest strike force ever - Osvaldo and Lamela. Everyone NEEDED them in their team, didn't they :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone please put that pic in the hotties thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gosplan wrote: »
    Apart from Sagna(free agent) and Fabegas(told to pack his bags by Barca), I don't see any good players moving anywhere yet.

They're all kind of busy.

LOL's at people getting worked up about Can, Lambert etc.

Is this going to be another Soldado/Osvaldo summer? Remamber last year when suddenly Roma had the greatest strike force ever - Osvaldo and Lamela. Everyone NEEDED them in their team, didn't they :rolleyes:

I get your point and to be honest I wouldnt be near panicking yet but I also dont buy into to brush offs like this.

Some teams have started to make the moves, whether you like them or not Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea are all active.

I also dont buy into the we dont need a lot. We finished 4th again last year and the clubs above us have already made there moves to strengten, there is no reason why we couldnt have made some moves by now also.

But as I said its still early days

Listen, Im not criticizing Wenger because hes having a bit of fun at all, Im just worried that we are going to do the same thing this summer as last summer.

Other clubs(our rivals) seem to have identified targets and made it happen. Nothing has happened yet for Arsenal and there are some glaring holes in the squad. While i agree that it is still too early to go into full blown panic mode, Im really not optimistic about signing a player in the next month. Tbh, even at this early stage, I wouldnt be suprised if we dont see a signing till August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Someone please put that pic in the hotties thread.

He's got bigger bewbs than my bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Listen, Im not criticizing Wenger because hes having a bit of fun at all, Im just worried that we are going to do the same thing this summer as last summer.

Other clubs(our rivals) seem to have identified targets and made it happen. Nothing has happened yet for Arsenal and there are some glaring holes in the squad. While i agree that it is still too early to go into full blown panic mode, Im really not optimistic about signing a player in the next month. Tbh, even at this early stage, I wouldnt be suprised if we dont see a signing till August.

Maybe the players we are targeting/talking to are all in the world cup, maybe we're in negotiations right now, maybe we really are waiting until this puma kit is revealed, who knows? Actually, Arsene knows, but it doesnt really matter, get off twitter and start worrying in August, too early for this sh*t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sky sports are saying were close to signing Dejan Lovren now everybody can relax :pac:

Sky sports are saying were close to signing Dejan Lovren now everybody can relax :pac:

Jaysus are Southampton planning on selling their whole team?

Maybe the players we are targeting/talking to are all in the world cup, maybe we're in negotiations right now, maybe we really are waiting until this puma kit is revealed, who knows? Actually, Arsene knows, but it doesnt really matter, get off twitter and start worrying in August, too early for this sh*t!

Who mentioned twitter?

Thats alot of maybes, but hopefully your right, I have my doubts.

I like him, good player.

I like him, good player.

Yea not bad if true could signify the end of Verms time maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sagna wasn't worth the money or length of contract he wanted.

Fabregas would have cost us £35.6m (Chelsea's £30m plus the £5.6m we got from the deal), he wouldn't have got into the team ahead of Ozil or Ramsey so would be displacing Wilshere on the bench - a lot of money which could be spent elsewhere.

Liverpool's signings remind me of Spurs last season.

Utd. have overpaid.

Not a lot there for us to complain about. What happened Kroos, Robben and Cavani to Utd? Where is Diego Costa in a Chelsea shirt? Either the big deals are not being done or they have yet to happen.

I dont know but targets seem to be getting signed.

Every other team has strengthens except Arsenal and i fear that we will be signing most of our players in late August again.

Utd. have lost Giggs, Ferdinand and Vidic with more to leave. Are they really stronger?
    If Lambert, 31-year old donkey strengthens Liverpool, they were not worth second place?

A lot of hype and worry around here when the transfer window has yet to open.

I cannot see us announcing anybody until after the Puma deal (unless it leaks from the selling club). Do you think Puma would want a new signing unveiled in a Nike shirt?

• Advertisement

where did ya see the Lovern story ?

Don't see it anywhere either. He'd be a good solid signing but my god poor old Southampton are being gutted. If this continues they are odds on to go down!

Jaysus are Southampton planning on selling their whole team?

No wonder Potecchino wanted out during the winter. He knew what was coming.

In fairness anywhere near 30m for a teenage full back is savage money but too many wholesale changes could greatly offset any money they make should they be relegated.

Some sky sports news journalist, probably more bullshiit but figured it might stop people throwing the toys out the pram :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Godge wrote: »

I cannot see us announcing anybody until after the Puma deal (unless it leaks from the selling club). Do you think Puma would want a new signing unveiled in a Nike shirt?

Sorry, I must have missed the part where it was set in stone that a new signing absolutely had to be paraded in the new shirt. Its laughable to suggest the club are holding off on transfers for this reason.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sorry, I must have missed the part where it was set in stone that a new signing absolutely had to be paraded in the new shirt. Its laughable to suggest the club are holding off on transfers for this reason.

TBH for the money Puma are paying us if they required our new signings to wear nothing but pink puma tongs when they were being paraded to the press I would go "fair enough" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH for the money Puma are paying us if they required our new signings to wear nothing but pink puma tongs when they were being paraded to the press I would go "fair enough" :D

Especially as its no loss to the club or player with training not due to commence until July. And World Cup participants won't join training until the end of July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I have a headache from reading the Suarez thread.
    Im not overly worried about early signings, think Utd have overpaid for their 2 newest guys so I cant say im jealous or anything. Id like something concrete though to discuss, you get sick of talking about tabloid/twitter rumours all the time

The Lovern story is on 365. I still can't see us signing anyone for a week or two. Players are only starting to come back from the WC now so things will start to move now. The puma thing is irrelevant they probably wouldn't unveil players before the deal starts but its very easy to nail a player down and not show him with the old kit especially as he is likely on another continent, more likely to me is we are in early talks with a handful of players with the probability of landing a couple for sure and picking up a couple more as time pushes on. The more I think about it the more I think that we won't land the big name striker we all want but are more likely to pick up a decent player in the Remy mould who will be good cover for Giroud, not sure we really struggled for goals last year, if we had a better anchor in midfield and maybe a bit more pace wide I think we could be brilliant this season. We have goals from lots of places I think with Girioud Ramsey Ozil Podolski Cazorla Walcott and Ox if we just add in two more attacking players one of serious quality and another solid player we will be okay going forward its defending that we lost it this season and that was only on a handful of really bad occasions. I reckon DM and RB we really need to buy the quality that can push us on this season. Beyond that a reserve GK and another CH. I know thats 6 signings and Im sure one of two won't be signed till january but I think thats where AW is heading. Sorry if this is a bit rambling but I'm being distracted by a rerun of the crystal maze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The Lovern story is on 365. I still can't see us signing anyone for a week or two. Players are only starting to come back from the WC now so things will start to move now. The puma thing is irrelevant they probably wouldn't unveil players before the deal starts but its very easy to nail a player down and not show him with the old kit especially as he is likely on another continent, more likely to me is we are in early talks with a handful of players with the probability of landing a couple for sure and picking up a couple more as time pushes on. The more I think about it the more I think that we won't land the big name striker we all want but are more likely to pick up a decent player in the Remy mould who will be good cover for Giroud, not sure we really struggled for goals last year, if we had a better anchor in midfield and maybe a bit more pace wide I think we could be brilliant this season. We have goals from lots of places I think with Girioud Ramsey Ozil Podolski Cazorla Walcott and Ox if we just add in two more attacking players one of serious quality and another solid player we will be okay going forward its defending that we lost it this season and that was only on a handful of really bad occasions. I reckon DM and RB we really need to buy the quality that can push us on this season. Beyond that a reserve GK and another CH. I know thats 6 signings and Im sure one of two won't be signed till january but I think thats where AW is heading. Sorry if this is a bit rambling but I'm being distracted by a rerun of the crystal maze.

What station that on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement