Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gosplan wrote: »
    What station that on?

Challenge great channel its 157 on UPC cracking old shows Bullseye, 321, 15 to 1 its brilliant
    actually 321 is pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

shano_88 wrote: »
    United have signed Shaw and Herrara, Chelsea have signed Fabregas, Liverpool have signed Can, Lambert and closing in on Lallana, City have signed Sagna and Fernando........Arsenals manager is playing beach football in Rio.

Not being one of Arsene's biggest fans over the last few years, but I am beginning to admire him again.
    Sittign back in London or hanging out on the beach with some lovely ladies, hmmm let me think. :D

10421210_516329228512614_1383817547262715078_n.png

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone think Liverpool are doing a Tottenham on it? Replacing their star player with average ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Raf32 wrote: »
    Anyone think Liverpool are doing a Tottenham on it? Replacing their star player with average ones.

I hope so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

From Facebook:

Arsenal Transfer Speculations and News
    3 mins ·

Official: Barcelona announce that Sanchez with leave this summer. Arsenal preferred, LFC & Juventus interested.

- Guillem Balague

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

There is Arsenal scouts in Cork tonight watching Cork Citys 19 year old right back Brian Lenihan. There has been scouts from EPL and Championship clubs watching this guy since March. He's a phenomonal player. Roy Keane is there watching him aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Raf32 wrote: »

It is possible. Certainly Lambert is no great shakes.

Will wait and see whether Suarez goes and who else signs.

The biggest problem Liverpool have is Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

From Facebook:

Arsenal Transfer Speculations and News
    3 mins ·

Official: Barcelona announce that Sanchez with leave this summer. Arsenal preferred, LFC & Juventus interested.

- Guillem Balague
    That was posted by a fake account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Some rags are suggesting Vidal for £44 million...Exactly what we need but is £44 million too much??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Some rags are suggesting Vidal for £44 million...Exactly what we need but is £44 million too much??

It is, but £40 mill today is £20 mill a few years ago, its sink or swim now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Having won the FA cup, hopefully it will act as some bit of an incentive for players to associated Arsenal with wining ways. This would also act as a counter-balancing to those players who'd offer an excuse on leaving; a lack of silverware.

frimpong wrote: »
    There is Arsenal scouts in Cork tonight watching Cork Citys 19 year old right back Brian Lenihan.

The transfer fee for him should be interesting.

As for "panicking", I'm not panicking. I am however noticing the same pattern again this summer. Only difference is that the dismissals and it'll-be-grands are coming even earlier this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not at all.

I think part of the reason our transfers might take a bit longer is the quality we need.

For example the CMF/DMF needs to be a good improvement on Arteta/Flamini.

The LWF needs to be a good improvement on Pod/Caz.

The striker needs to be a good improvement on Giroud.

Note the 'good' improvement. There's no point in spending 30 million on a guy who's going to be a tiny bit better than what we have.

For me that means that in a lot of positions, we're looking at bringing in world class players - like top 5 in their position.

I'm delighted. The next few years are gonna be great.

With due respect to other clubs, I think that some of the ones mentioned here have a more pressing need for players of any decent quality in a few positions so it's much easier to fill the gap - e.g. Lambert or Shaw.

I keep saying it but no-ones listening. Wenger is now out for world class talent. He's not changing his approach on the pitch now and he knows that to succeed, he needs another cluster of invincibles quality players. This is clear when you look at the players we've actually been in for over the last year - Suarez, Bender, Ozil, Higuain.

This is why I'm kind of surprised when people suggest Schneiderlin or Remy. Yeah they could do a job for us but it's so not the type of quality we're after. Wenger wouldn't even push the boat out for Higuain but did for Ozil - I think that says a lot.

So 44m for Vidal - that's about right tbh. I mean fcuk off Schneiderlin - is he going to be the player to take on Chelsea's midfield?

We are absolutely getting a LWF/CF though so in a way I'd love this Vidal deal because it'd mean TWO top notch players were coming in plus we'd be a bit more attractive to the second.

It's probably all bullsh1t but this is the kind of rumour and signing I expect and I'm 100% sure it's the level of player we're actually in for.

I mean why the fcuk would we have gone through years of pain just to chase players from Newcastle or Southampton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

As for "panicking", I'm not panicking. I am however noticing the same pattern again this summer. Only difference is that the dismissals and it'll-be-grands are coming even earlier this time.
    Surely people not panicking earlier isn't exactly a change? The difference is cause not by those saying it'll be grand, but by the panicky ones who feel we should have all our business done in June. Last year they waited till July at least to lose their minds over it.

• Advertisement

In short, while I have a huge amount of respect for Liverpool and what Rodgers is doing, Remy and Schneiderlin are the kind of players they should be looking to sign.

The advantage we have over them is finances and we should be making that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

In short, while I have a huge amount of respect for Liverpool and what Rodgers is doing, Remy and Schneiderlin are the kind of players they should be looking to sign.

The advantage we have over them is finances and we should be making that count.

Schneiderlin is going to get better and better still only 24

Obivoulsy Vidal would be better but to be dismissing him as not good enough for arsenal is a bit premature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's because the "sign somebody" posts have started even earlier this time.

The Vidal thing seems to have come from the metro this morning. They quote Wenger talking about him but I imagine that was as part of his punditry job.

That David Ornstimein guy on twitter said we'd bid 44m yesterday.

BS then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So are we going to sign everybody Wenger mentions then?
    As I said often "paper never refuses ink" so don't get carried away lads.
    It is not the Arsenal or Wenger way to splash out 100 million on anything near that. We will be sitting twiddling our thumbs in the last hour of the market .....waiting as usual. I am positively resigned to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So are we going to sign everybody Wenger mentions then?
    As I said often "paper never refuses ink" so don't get carried away lads.
    It is not the Arsenal or Wenger way to splash out 100 million on anything near that. We will be sitting twiddling our thumbs in the last hour of the market .....waiting as usual. I am positively resigned to that.

Not negatively resigned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not at all.

I think part of the reason our transfers might take a bit longer is the quality we need.

For example the CMF/DMF needs to be a good improvement on Arteta/Flamini.

The LWF needs to be a good improvement on Pod/Caz.

The striker needs to be a good improvement on Giroud.

Note the 'good' improvement. There's no point in spending 30 million on a guy who's going to be a tiny bit better than what we have.

For me that means that in a lot of positions, we're looking at bringing in world class players - like top 5 in their position.

I'm delighted. The next few years are gonna be great.

With due respect to other clubs, I think that some of the ones mentioned here have a more pressing need for players of any decent quality in a few positions so it's much easier to fill the gap - e.g. Lambert or Shaw.

I keep saying it but no-ones listening. Wenger is now out for world class talent. He's not changing his approach on the pitch now and he knows that to succeed, he needs another cluster of invincibles quality players. This is clear when you look at the players we've actually been in for over the last year - Suarez, Bender, Ozil, Higuain.

This is why I'm kind of surprised when people suggest Schneiderlin or Remy. Yeah they could do a job for us but it's so not the type of quality we're after. Wenger wouldn't even push the boat out for Higuain but did for Ozil - I think that says a lot.

So 44m for Vidal - that's about right tbh. I mean fcuk off Schneiderlin - is he going to be the player to take on Chelsea's midfield?

We are absolutely getting a LWF/CF though so in a way I'd love this Vidal deal because it'd mean TWO top notch players were coming in plus we'd be a bit more attractive to the second.

It's probably all bullsh1t but this is the kind of rumour and signing I expect and I'm 100% sure it's the level of player we're actually in for.

I mean why the fcuk would we have gone through years of pain just to chase players from Newcastle or Southampton?

That's all great if true but let's be honest this is all just hope. You have no idea if this is the reason your are hoping we sign players in the top 5 of there position and hoping the attention has switched to WC players but let's be honest like the rest of us we have no idea.

Wenger could just as likely be thinking my team is young, strong and just won a trophy I need just one or two players in the right area.

Agree it's no were near panic time but there is also no were near convincing that things are happening differently because for now they are following patterns of previous seasons!

Schneiderlin is going to get better and better still only 24

Obivoulsy Vidal would be better but to be dismissing him as not good enough for arsenal is a bit premature

Not saying he's not good enough. And he may well be amazing in the future but with Wilshire, Ox, Rambo we've got the developing midfield players. We need someone who will go into first team now and make a serious impact.

Soups123 wrote: »
    That's all great if true but let's be honest this is all just hope. You have no idea if this is the reason your are hoping we sign players in the top 5 of there position and hoping the attention has switched to WC players but let's be honest like the rest of us we have no idea.

Wenger could just as likely be thinking my team is young, strong and just won a trophy I need just one or two players in the right area.

Agree it's no were near panic time but there is also no were near convincing that things are happening differently because for now they are following patterns of previous seasons!

Not just hope. Name a player we've really been in for in the last 12 months.

I get Draxler, Suarez, Bender, Higuain, Ozil.

I mean that's the evidence. He's looking at top notch players while people here are talking about Remy.

Trust me, I'm right about this.

I'm sure it's just one or max two players inc RB for the starting 11 but they'll be serious quality.

greendom wrote: »
    Not negatively resigned ?

Optimistically pessimistic i.e. realistic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

People saying we dont need an out and out defensive midfielder should give there head a shake, most important position in the team that needs sorting out this summer imo, our back 4 get no protection whatsoever from the likes of Arteta his legs are gone and we are badly found out in this area of the pitch against the top 3 premier league teams. Would love somebody just sitting in front of the back 4 breaking up everything and letting Ramsey and Ozil do there business without any defensive responsibilities resting on there shoulders.

I have said this before on many occasions but the day we let Giberto Silva go and didnt replace him was the start of our downfall. Would love the likes of Sandro or De Jong in our team, big powerful players who wont shy away from a tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    People saying we dont need an out and out defensive midfielder should give there head a shake, most important position in the team that needs sorting out this summer imo, our back 4 get no protection whatsoever from the likes of Arteta his legs are gone and we are badly found out in this area of the pitch against the top 3 premier league teams. Would love somebody just sitting in front of the back 4 breaking up everything and letting Ramsey and Ozil do there business without any defensive responsibilities resting on there shoulders.

I have said this before on many occasions but the day we let Giberto Silva go and didnt replace him was the start of our downfall. Would love the likes of Sandro or De Jong in our team, big powerful players who wont shy away from a tackle.

We let gilberto flamini and diarra go in that window and put denilson in, one of the few Wenger decisions that I could never make any sense of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not just hope. Name a player we've really been in for in the last 12 months.

I get Draxler, Suarez, Bender, Higuain, Ozil.

I mean that's the evidence. He's looking at top notch players while people here are talking about Remy.

Trust me, I'm right about this.

I'm sure it's just one or max two players inc RB for the starting 11 but they'll be serious quality.

I hear ya but of that list all of Bender, Higuain & Draxler have been gettable but we haven't got.

I'm hopeful but not expectant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah but you'd have classed Ozil as ungetable and we got him :D

greendom wrote: »
    That's because the "sign somebody" posts have started even earlier this time.
    When should they start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Did Southampton win the league last year? They appear to have assembled a squad worth billions and are now selling them off for amazing prices. If I was a fan I would be disgusted they have had a decent season and now will have to start all over again albeit with millions to spend or do they owe out a ridiculous amount to someone?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the whole out and out DM thing being the solution to our problem is a red herring, we weren't schooled away from home because we didn't have a good DM it was because of naive tactics and a complete mental collapse from the entire team.

salmocab wrote: »
    Did Southampton win the league last year? They appear to have assembled a squad worth billions and are now selling them off for amazing prices. If I was a fan I would be disgusted they have had a decent season and now will have to start all over again albeit with millions to spend or do they owe out a ridiculous amount to someone?

We did that too :D but didn't spend all our profits.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I hear ya but of that list all of Bender, Higuain & Draxler have been gettable but we haven't got.

I'm hopeful but not expectant

True but of we're getting one a year, that'll be pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dairygold1990

Aurier, Vidal, Sanchez and keeping verm would be an immense summer for us. And that's only 3 signings which I'm sure most people can see happening. Then maybe get a GK in on loan and we are sorted. 3 quality players that wenger is looking for

Add to that cambell who wenger said will be back after the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Eh... same pattern? You simply cannot know this. There's a world cup on with 16 teams still in it. We could have deals already done and dusted but for the medical. Or not. Who knows.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    People saying we dont need an out and out defensive midfielder should give there head a shake

There are much better ways to protect the back four than having a tough tackler, in many respects if you are continually relying on a tough tackler to protect your back four then you've failed already at defending as a team.

A dynamic midfield capable of closing down space quickly as opposition play transitions from defence to attack is much more useful to our style of play given our tendency to attack in numbers. Stats wise it's interceptions you should be looking at, not tackles when looking at a players suitability for Arsenal.

Eh... same pattern? You simply cannot know this. There's a world cup on with 16 teams still in it. We could have deals already done and dusted but for the medical. Or not. Who knows.

From the outside it's the same pattern. Based on what we can actually know it's the same pattern.

From the outside it's the same pattern. Based on what we can actually know it's the same pattern.

We simply don't know anything other than the fact most of the players we've been linked with are yet to return from the World Cup.

Besides, this time last year we were preparing bids for Bender and Suarez. It wasn't like we twiddled our thumbs until the 31st of August.

Heh, "preparing bids". We do that a lot.

• Advertisement

Heh, "preparing bids". We do that a lot.

And so does every other football club at this time of year. You're point?

And so does every other football club at this time of year. You're point?

Some of them actually make their signings before August. And no, I'm not point.

And no, I'm not point.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Xavi Torres: "Alexis has three offers from EPL and is willing to accept one of them. Whether it's Liverpool or not, good news for Barca anyway (fresh money)."

He's very reliable for Barca news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's very reliable for Barca news.

Is he a journalist?

I'd guess based on the noises I've seen, if this was true, it would be Liverpool, United and us, with him preferring us?

This is getting more annoying by the day.

No-one of any note has gone anywhere and people in here are getting pissed off.

People don't give a crap about meaningful or important signings, they just want a signing they can cling to as some kind if success.

No-one would be making any comments about Wenger being on holidays if he had taken Vela but he wants something better.

Ask yourself why you want signings to happen. Is it really about strengthening the team?

• Advertisement

Ask yourself why you want signings to happen. Is it really about strengthening the team?

Yes, and your attempts to say otherwise are getting quite tiresome.

Yes, and your attempts to say otherwise are getting quite tiresome.

Attempt, singular I think. Don't recall having a pop at people before.

Arseblog had a good point this morning that signings at this point of the season are like little trophies and he's right.

There's no objectivity or rationale here. People just want any player above a particular level in pretty much any position (bar maybe LB) signed ASAP. The Daniel Levy approach.

At best people are looking to replace like with like blissfully ignorant to the fact that improving the squad means signing better players than the ones we've had or have had over the last few years.

It's silly and it's childish.

Point 1: we're not selling our best players
    Point 2: we're clearly in the market for proper additions

But no, we want some form of average enough player signed NOW.

Attempt, singular I think. Don't recall having a pop at people before.

Arseblog had a good point this morning that signings at this point of the season are like little trophies and he's right.

There's no objectivity or rationale here. People just want any player above a particular level in pretty much any position (bar maybe LB) signed ASAP. The Daniel Levy approach.

At best people are looking to replace like with like blissfully ignorant to the fact that improving the squad means signing better players than the ones we've had or have had over the last few years.

It's silly and it's childish.

Point 1: we're not selling our best players
    Point 2: we're clearly in the market for proper additions

But no, we want some form of average enough player signed NOW.

What about signing an excellent player NOW? One we need. Anything wrong with that?

What about signing an excellent player NOW? One we need. Anything wrong with that?

Nothing but none of them are going anywhere till after the WC.

Ironically Sagna is the only player to move who would make our first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I'd really love to get Sanchez, he has a fantastic attitude and energy. His value must have gone way up over the last few weeks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement