Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

gosplan wrote: »
    Attempt, singular I think. Don't recall having a pop at people before.

Arseblog had a good point this morning that signings at this point of the season are like little trophies and he's right.

There's no objectivity or rationale here. People just want any player above a particular level in pretty much any position (bar maybe LB) signed ASAP. The Daniel Levy approach.

At best people are looking to replace like with like blissfully ignorant to the fact that improving the squad means signing better players than the ones we've had or have had over the last few years.

It's silly and it's childish.

Point 1: we're not selling our best players
    Point 2: we're clearly in the market for proper additions

But no, we want some form of average enough player signed NOW.

You've been saying all week that Wenger isn't signing "average" players because he's hunting out some world-class ones. We don't just need first-team players, we also need another full-back and centre-back since we've only got 3 of each. I'm happy enough with the current CB pairing but one injury means we won't even have one on the bench.

Looking at things in a vacuum is retarded. If other teams improve then we need to improve just to stand still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You've been saying all week that Wenger isn't signing "average" players because he's hunting out some world-class ones. We don't just need first-team players, we also need another full-back and centre-back since we've only got 3 of each. I'm happy enough with the current CB pairing but one injury means we won't even have one on the bench.

Looking at things in a vacuum is retarded. If other teams improve then we need to improve just to stand still.

Why would you be in a hurry to sign squad players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

We don't just need first-team players, we also need another full-back and centre-back since we've only got 3 of each.

We have 4 CBs in the squad at the moment... CB is Jenkinson's preferred position and Wenger has dropped hints that that is where he sees him playing in the long term.

It's also anticipated that Bellerin (RB) will be promoted to the first team this season. After all he was recalled from his loan at Watford to provide cover in February, so Wenger must have some regard for him.

Again, we do have the numbers in these positions, it's more important to find quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I guess people in here are just seeing other teams spend money and it's getting tetchy because we've made such a mess of the last 3 windows. It's natural to be a bit frustrated but let's keep it together until the WC is over.

When August starts and we're still sitting on our hands listening to AW tell us " we are active but not close to anyone" then it's ok to vent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm not worried.. We'll sign a few.

I agree that Arsenal need to sign specific quality but come August 31st we cant have a bare-bones squad due to not signing anyone. Sadly that scenario playing out wouldn't surprise me. Next season there is the strong possibility that Bellerin and Jenks could be fighting for that right back berth which we have to be realistic about after the circus of the last few years.

That said its early yet. I think the real activity with all clubs will only begin when the World cup is over. And im certainly not looking to old trafford or anfield with any sort of envy so far. Yes all good players but nothing we should wake up in a sweat over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If we signed Sanchez we would win the league , amazing talent I find it hard to believe Barca are willing to let him go. He is ten times the player Ballotelli is.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If we signed Sanchez we would win the league , amazing talent I find it hardto believe Barca are willing tolet him go. He is ten times the player Ballotelli is.

He possesses everything we lack - energy, aggression, determination, urgency, pace, tenacity.

He possesses everything we lack - energy, aggression, determination, urgency, pace, tenacity.

He can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and turn it in on its head, what a player.

gosplan wrote: »
    Why would you be in a hurry to sign squad players?
    25th of August, new signing made and thrown straight into the defence. Wouldn't exactly be ideal and wouldn't take a whole load of injuries to happen.
    We have 4 CBs in the squad at the moment... CB is Jenkinson's preferred position and Wenger has dropped hints that that is where he sees him playing in the long term.

It's also anticipated that Bellerin (RB) will be promoted to the first team this season. After all he was recalled from his loan at Watford to provide cover in February, so Wenger must have some regard for him.

Again, we do have the numbers in these positions, it's more important to find quality.
    It's been anticipated that dozens upon dozens of players would step up over the last decade, most aren't in a top-flight team anywhere now.

• Advertisement

Eh, he's no Remy.

25th of August, new signing made and thrown straight into the defence. Wouldn't exactly be ideal and wouldn't take a whole load of injuries to happen.

It's been anticipated that dozens upon dozens of players would step up over the last decade, most aren't in a top-flight team anywhere now.

Ah yeah but it's not like we should sign someone now, while no-ones even training for fear of picking up a preseason injury.

Chances are anyway Wenger would go with a backup player he knows rather than throw a new guy in.

Plus we still have Verm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How much would Vidal and Sanchez cost? Look very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sanchez would solve so many of our problems. He needs his head read if he's even considering the bin dippers. If he's on the market we should be breaking our balls to sign him.

About 70M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    About 70M

Thats our midfield and Strike force sorted. hand them the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Some French journo on twitter reckons that Sanchez and Scheiderlin are Arsenal bound.

dvemail wrote: »
    Some French journo on twitter reckons that Sanchez and Scheiderlin are Arsenal bound.

Yep saw the myself.
    That official tick on his account is giving me mixed emotions :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Yep saw the myself.

I'm also now more inclined to believe a journo that doesn't speak English as his first language :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dairygold1990

Who is everyone following for arsenal news on twitter? Just made a twitter account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yep saw the myself.

Not on twitter what do you mean by official tick? Jesus don't think I could handle another source of rumor Id be a wreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Think it's time to unsubscribe from this thread until after the World Cup. Based on some posts, you'd sign Heskey just to make a signing.
    Who is everyone following for arsenal news on twitter? Just made a twitter account
    You're better off deleting it. 99.999999% is worse than what you read in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Think it's time to unsubscribe from this thread until after the World Cup. Based on some posts, you'd sign Heskey just to make a signing.

You're better off deleting it. 99.999999% is worse than what you read in the papers.

I don't think anyone has suggested just buying anyone

Button, if Wenger had managed with that attitude from day one there'd have been no Vieira, no Henry, no Cole, no Fabregas, no van Persie, no Ramsey, no Wilshere, no Gibbs.

Do you really want us to end up like the Spuds, buying in ****loads of average players every window and never making any progress? Because that's exactly what you're proposing we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has suggested just buying anyone

With some of the players suggested and the complaints about who Liverpool are signing, people may as well be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As long as you keep a pinch of salt handy, and take the speculation and rumour as just that Twitter is just fine. It also gives you links to some great articles you might otherwise miss.

In terms of who to follow you will develop your own likes over time. Personally I steer well clear of the ones who spout nothing but bile towards Arsene, but each to his/her own.

Here is a decent guide to get you started....

http://fonkychris.com/2013/06/17/50-must-follow-arsenal-twitter-accounts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why would Juventus let Vidal go is my only question. He's holding their midfield together, can't play that 3-5-2 without him.

He'd cost a minimum of £35m and Sanchez £25m and then there's wages. I'd be shocked if we signed the former and pleasantly surprised with Sanchez.

Button, if Wenger had managed with that attitude from day one there'd have been no Vieira, no Henry, no Cole, no Fabregas, no van Persie, no Ramsey, no Wilshere, no Gibbs.
    Vieira, Henry, van Persie came through the academy?
    Do you really want us to end up like the Spuds, buying in ****loads of average players every window and never making any progress? Because that's exactly what you're proposing we do.
    No it ****ing isn't.

Vieira, Henry, van Persie came through the academy?

Nor did Jenkinson or Bellerin. But, like all of the above, they are young only went into the Arsenal first team on the basis of their potential. Something you seem reluctant to repeat?
    No it ****ing isn't.

So what are you actually proposing we do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Has there actually been moaning or has most of it been moaning in advance of anticipated moaning? I think some are jumping the gun and just presuming there's been a meltdown when, as far as I've read, there has not.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

AdamD wrote: »
    Has there actually been moaning or has most of it been moaning in advance of anticipated moaning? I think some are jumping the gun and just presuming there's been a meltdown when, as far as I've read, there has not.

Yeah, I'm a little perplexed tbh. The thread's been fairly standard transfer discussion with a few random posts giving out about supposed meltdowns that I haven't noticed at all.

If I got that worked up about transfer speculation I don't think I would read a team thread after the last game of the season.

Thats not what he is stating.
    He is saying that there is very few coming through.
    The conveyor belt needs repairing it seems.

Schneiderlin was pretty coy when asked about his commitment.
    “Listen, I’m aware of Southampton’s situation.

“On a personal level, the club know my position and know what I want to do. I had a good conversation with all the directors.

“I’ve been there for a long time now. We’ll see how things go, but the directors know my position and what my intentions are.

“Everyone has ambitions, everyone has his own future in his hands, so we’ll see. Every player wants to play on big occasions.”

Nor did Jenkinson or Bellerin. But, like all of the above, they are young only went into the Arsenal first team on the basis of their potential. Something you seem reluctant to repeat?
    But wait, I thought Wenger was waiting to only buy proven quality? So why would he sign potential?
    So what are you actually proposing we do?
    3 players straight into the matchday squad for the start of the season. Cover elsewhere if those players aren't signed for the positions they should be.

But wait, I thought Wenger was waiting to only buy proven quality? So why would he sign potential?

Huh? I don't understand what you are getting at? We have players of potential, who at the very least can act as the understudies. That's what I was referring to. I'm not saying we should buy more...
    3 players straight into the matchday squad for the start of the season. Cover elsewhere if those players aren't signed for the positions they should be.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. And no, this is wrong. Three players going straight into the starting elevent is too destabilizing, particularly given the style of play we have, the time it takes to get used to it and the level of responsibility each player receives in our system. Putting three new faces, with no experience of our style of play straight into the team come August? It'd be a total backward step.

3 signings in total is fine, but expecting them all to start is a huge gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Sanchez would be the absolute dream signing this summer. He just has everything we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So, that Rodriguez lad..

3 signings in total is fine, but expecting them all to start is a huge gamble.[/QUOTE]

We need 3 starters. They can gel into the side during friendlies and the Emirates Cup. A RB, DM and a good striker.
    No problems there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

So, that Rodriguez lad..

He's not bad..

So, that Rodriguez lad..

Signed for Monaco last year for 45M.. So yeah :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He's like a Colombian Ramsey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Sanchez really looks a viable target now. Be a little nervous if United are in there too. We cannot underestimate the attraction of United, Champions League or no Champions League. You can see already the positive spin around them again with new signings and Van Gaal.

The best thing about Sanchez is that he can play with Giroud and without.

Havent posted in a while but Giroud has beem really impressive too. We underate him greatly.
    Paully D wrote: »
    He can say goodbye to playing in the FA Cup final now, most likely his first and only chance to play in one. What an idiotic thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

where do Porto find these lads? Rodriguez, Moutinho, Hulk, Falcao... They discover some talent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

padraig.od wrote: »
    where do Porto find these lads? Rodriguez, Moutinho, Hulk, Falcao... They discover some talent

For greater insight into portos discoveries :
    http://www.postmatch.org/5/explaining-the-falcao-move-to-monaco/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Strong rumours Sanchez prefers us to pool and United.

Makes perfect sense!

:pac:

Huh? I don't understand what you are getting at? We have players of potential, who at the very least can act as the understudies. That's what I was referring to. I'm not saying we should buy more...
    There should be no chance of young players who have never played for the first team sitting on the bench at the start of the season.
    Ok, now we're getting somewhere. And no, this is wrong. Three players going straight into the starting elevent is too destabilizing, particularly given the style of play we have, the time it takes to get used to it and the level of responsibility each player receives in our system. Putting three new faces, with no experience of our style of play straight into the team come August? It'd be a total backward step.

3 signings in total is fine, but expecting them all to start is a huge gamble.
    Squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Gringo180 wrote: »
    :pac:

Well they sold him for 40 million bucks, so a profitable discovery

Squad.

Christ. I'm on form today...

• Advertisement

Well they sold him for 40 million bucks, so a profitable discovery