Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Ice cool pen under massive pressure too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Was so relieved for him when he scored the penalty. Can't wait to see him in action against the Dutch.

The maturity and pride Campbell played with tonight was a thrill to behold. Ram himself ragged. Delighted we have that calibre next season. All too often we've died at opponents feet too quickly. Heroic from the 22 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Next seasons kit!

BrU7giBCcAIISJb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lovely if true, socks are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Fare play to campbell there was a few times he got the ball there in the 2nd half of extra time and looked absolutely shattered , But still stood up and rolled his penalty in cool as you like top class delighted for Costa Rica reminded me of Ireland-Romania all those years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why are people still talking about Remy? He is nowhere near good enough.

ffs of course he's good enough.
    1 in 2 since being in england, versatile, has pace, relatively cheap.
    do you not remember arsenal being as slow as pensioners at times last season? do you not understand the concept of strengthening/adding depth to the squad?

is he good enough to be the marquee signing/player? no, he's not not but arsenal aren't going to add 4/5 players of that quality. That's what i think they should be looking to do as well, same as you & others no doubt, but they won't and you need a good squad & arsenal have never or will never have a squad of 22-25 superstars.

were/are flamini or sanogo or monreal that type either/good enough? no, but they've been useful.

don't understand the negative reaction to him at all, baffling really considering the injuries arsenal pick up + walcott is probably going to have stop/start season coming back from that injury, picking up strains, etc.
    though poor gosplan will go into a coma when schneiderlin & remy rock up for the team photo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Remy would be savage to have its a player like him we were sorely lacking last season we'd no one pacey to get onto ozzies through balls after Walcott and rambo got injured

In a week where both the greatest player in the world and Park has left us it is a relief to see Campbell showing his worth :D Could the Campbell introduction be good for Sanogo does anyone think? It could give him that extra focus and sharpness perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Remy would be good enough I think if we were to get another world class forward player such as sanchez too.

I'd like to think that Campbell will be bendtners replacement in the squad. What a difference in attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

I'd like to see Sanogo out on loan with another Premiership club, blood him properly. Aston Villa or somewhere along those lines - somewhere he can work his Mickey off and build some responsibility for his play. Young player as well so it'd benefit him big time methinks; once he doesn't become another Miyaichi. I had high hopes for him.

pandaboy wrote: »
    I'd like to see Sanogo out on loan with another Premiership club, blood him properly. Aston Villa or somewhere along those lines - somewhere he can work his Mickey off and build some responsibility for his play. Young player as well so it'd benefit him big time methinks; once he doesn't become another Miyaichi. I had high hopes for him.

Due to the nature of the English league i think funnily enough that Sanogo has all the raw materials to carve himself out a decent career whereas Miyachi was perhaps too lightweight. That said, miyachi had minders at Bolton whereas no one at Arsenal had the bottle to protect him except maybe Mert or Flamster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Scheiderlin will be a great signing and Sanchez will be a great top signing. Get Campbell into the squad. Sign Aurier and back up goalkeeper.
    That be a perfect additions to the squad. As log as we don't lose anyone else then that be a strong squad going into the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Reasonable question!
    Vermaelen has one year left on his contract and is 3rd choice CB, 3rd choice LB also. How much would you want to be getting to sell him? Would you sell to United for 10million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Remy would be savage to have its a player like him we were sorely lacking last season we'd no one pacey to get onto ozzies through balls after Walcott and rambo got injured

We should have bought him last January when Walcott was out. He was available and why Wenger didn't go for him puzzles me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We should have bought him last January when Walcott was out. He was available and why Wenger didn't go for him puzzles me.

Was he available ? Can teams break off loan agreements just like that ? If so that was definitely a lost opportunity when the seriousness of Walcott's injury became apparent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ffs of course he's good enough.
    1 in 2 since being in england, versatile, has pace, relatively cheap.
    do you not remember arsenal being as slow as pensioners at times last season? do you not understand the concept of strengthening/adding depth to the squad?

is he good enough to be the marquee signing/player? no, he's not not but arsenal aren't going to add 4/5 players of that quality. That's what i think they should be looking to do as well, same as you & others no doubt, but they won't and you need a good squad & arsenal have never or will never have a squad of 22-25 superstars.

were/are flamini or sanogo or monreal that type either/good enough? no, but they've been useful.

don't understand the negative reaction to him at all, baffling really considering the injuries arsenal pick up + walcott is probably going to have stop/start season coming back from that injury, picking up strains, etc.
    though poor gosplan will go into a coma when schneiderlin & remy rock up for the team photo :pac:

You are in dreamland if you think we'll sign Remy and another "top striker". If you are content with Giroud+Remy to spearhead our attack then there is obviously a huge conflict of interest. If there's one thing we can learn from Liverpool last year/RVP + United it's that you can be as crap as you like all across the park but if you have class up front you can make up for it. I would fancy Campbell/Sanogo to cover Remy's role between the two of them, and they're both younger.

Also love the "relatively cheap" comment. It's back to square one with us it seems, the fans looking out for the board and making sure they don't overspend. I assure you that won't be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Was he available ? Can teams break off loan agreements just like that ? If so that was definitely a lost opportunity when the seriousness of Walcott's injury became apparent

I read that he was available and was in favour of a move too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I read that he was available and was in favour of a move too.

In fairness though, "I read that he was available" ≠ "he was available".

Jaafa wrote: »
    In fairness though, "I read that he was available" ≠ "he was available".

I suppose it depends where he read it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think that Wenger's extremly principled in terms of the players he signs and how they fit into his overall vision of where the club is going.

I've no doubt that this isn't always the most pragmatic of approaches but I kind of like it nonetheless.

Remy for example would have done a job for us but we would have him on a 4 year contract and still be looking for a better striker.

Year long stopgaps don't really happen unless they're older players like Eto or Silvestre and usually then they're not that successful.

I just think that the idea of signing a player he doesn't really want for a short term fix is just so un-Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Good peice my arseblog here in Campbell

I tend to agree that it will be hard for him to fit in

I think we will cash in on him

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/arsenal/359/blog/post/1923034/arsenals-difficult-situation-with-joel-campbell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good peice my arseblog here in Campbell

I tend to agree that it will be hard for him to fit in

I think we will cash in on him

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/arsenal/359/blog/post/1923034/arsenals-difficult-situation-with-joel-campbell

Agree with a lot but when he talks of being well stocked in wide positions he mentions Walcott, Ox, Santi, Gnabry and Pod.

If Walcott and Ox are injured, which they are currently, that pushes Ozil wide right, Santi central and leaves us with Pod who can't play 90 and Gnabry as the only backup.

There's still room for him IMO but not if we sign someone like Sanchez.

Even then there might be an occasional spot but you'd like to think that Wenger would know he's not doing the player any favours by keeping him around for Carling cup games at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Gonna wrap this up nice at quick
    Signings I would pick
    Julio ceaser
    Remy or a worldie
    Kehdiera
    Richards
    A right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Rumours Debuchy is done. would be a top signing imo

According to (supposedly reliable) French tv channel infosportplus, Mathieu Debuchy is on the verge of agreeing a move to Arsenal.

If thats true then thats amazing news!
    I always wanted Debucy over Aurier. We've always looked a lot better when we've had an attacking fullback.

Debuchy for the next 3 or 4 years with Jenkinson or Bellerin as possible long term successor. Would be very happy with this.

Debuchy
    Schneiderlin
    Sanchez
    Remy
    Backup Gk

Dream Summer.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Debuchy
    Schneiderlin
    Sanchez
    Remy
    Backup Gk

Dream Summer.

:cool:

• Advertisement

Poor Aurier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'd be happy with Debuchy. Prob the safer option over Aurier

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Id be happy with either.

Didn't realise Debuchy was nearly 29. Still, seems like a decent choice if true.

Didn't realise Debuchy was nearly 29. Still, seems like a decent choice if true.

What will his wages be like? Id imagine nowhere near even what Sagna was on before he left?

What will his wages be like? Id imagine nowhere near even what Sagna was on before he left?

Don't really know but I'd assume it'd be around the 60k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Debuchy
    Schneiderlin
    Sanchez
    Remy
    Backup Gk

Dream Summer.

We need at least 1 centre halve, can nobody see the the need for this?? :confused:

For a 29 year old French international - 70 - 80k at a guess ?

greendom wrote: »
    For a 29 year old French international - 70 - 80k at a guess ?

Can we take the fact that Wenger is signing a 29 year old full back as an indication that perhaps Wenger sees either Bellerin or Jenkinson making that right back spot their own in the not to distant future.

• Advertisement

We need at least 1 centre halve, can nobody see the the need for this?? :confused:

Schneiderlin could be fourth choice

Bit weird to be signing him on a one-year contract. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Meh. Not an upgrade on Sagna but better than nothing

Poor Aurier :pac:

Maybe not:

Get French Football@GFN_France
    Serge Aurier has told @jplusun that his dream club is Real Madrid. #ToulouseFC #RMCF

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

keano_afc wrote: »
    Meh. Not an upgrade on Sagna but better than nothing

Not a huge of players are to be fair.
    A proven premiership player with International experience.

It will do me for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Could have used the fee to keep Sagna who is probably better. Debuchy is no spring chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Is this an improvement on sagna?

Doesn't inspire me like people said sagna moving on would.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

i'm looking forward to seeing how Gnabry will develop this season, have a feeling he will prove himself a very valuable squad member. pacey players are always exciting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Schneiderlin could be fourth choice

Has he ever played CB? I agree all those signings would be great but i'll be very disappointed if Wenger doesn't bring in sufficient cover yet again.

For me Debuchy is an upgrade on Sagna. While he probably isn't as solid defensively, he's much better going forward. We had very little attack on the right wing whenever Walcott was out since Sagna could never beat his man.

Having a fullback that an actually get forward (like Gibbs) will be a huge boost.

Has he ever played CB? I agree all those signings would be great but i'll be very disappointed if Wenger doesn't bring in sufficient cover yet again.

Id love a fourth choice cb but know we wont bring in that many. Think he started off originally as a centre back so would be fine with him/Pleg as fourth choice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement