Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    For me Debuchy is an upgrade on Sagna. While he probably isn't as solid defensively, he's much better going forward. We had very little attack on the right wing whenever Walcott was out since Sagna could never beat his man.

Having a fullback that an actually get forward (like Gibbs) will be a huge boost.

Having two very attacking fullbacks even emphasises more how we desperately need a top class defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

For me Debuchy is an upgrade on Sagna. While he probably isn't as solid defensively, he's much better going forward. We had very little attack on the right wing whenever Walcott was out since Sagna could never beat his man.

Having a fullback that an actually get forward (like Gibbs) will be a huge boost.

Sure we'll only have him for a couple of seasons. Wenger won't offer him a long enough contract because of his age and City will come in and offer a 4 year deal. Sound familiar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It would be absolutely criminal if we even thought of selling Campbell. Hes's been one of the best players at the World Cup, very talented player and the type of player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

hsbc wrote: »
    Sure we'll only have him for a couple of seasons. Wenger won't offer him a long enough contract because of his age and City will come in and offer a 4 year deal. Sound familiar?

Couple of season is plenty.
    It'll give Jenks/Bellerin time to become the best full backs every :pac:

Gringo180 wrote: »
    It would be absolutely criminal if we even thought of selling Campbell. Hes's been one of the best players at the World Cup, very talented player and the type of player we need.

Exactly he should be at the very least given a chance this year. He has the experience under his belt only to try him out now. If he is not good enough then sell him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Debuchy hinting he wants to play Champions League football could see Wenger being interested but could also see Pardew wanting close to a Gareth Bale valuation for him living in the clouds

Said this a week ago. And I still stand by it, Pardew will want a ridiculous amount for him

Said this a week ago. And I still stand by it, Pardew will want a ridiculous amount for him

Will Ashley listen to him though?
    If he thinks its a decent offer he might sell anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Seems odd, for what Debuchy will cost in wages and we'll probably need to offer him at least a 3-Year contract to tempt him we could have just kept Sagna.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Seems odd, for what Debuchy will cost in wages and we'll probably need to offer him at least a 3-Year contract to tempt him we could have just kept Sagna.

???

Sagna's on a reported 120k a week.

Wasn't a choice of keeping him. His contract was gone and he wanted a last payday.

If this new lad comes in, he'll probably be in the 60-80k market and the rumours are £12m, not to mention we have CL, which is something he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I think Sagna wanted to cash in on his "out of contract" status which he has done with City. He is effectively left a first team place with Arsenal to a backup position with City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Little advantage getting forward if you can't cross the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Debuchy is ahead of him in the French team, I dont think there is much too them but with the bad breaks he has had and the gradual loss of pace I think Sagna is a player who is going to deteriorate over the next year or two.

I think its almost a like for like replacement with Debuchy a little better going forward and Sagna a little more dependable defensively

Good to see Koscielny starting for France, may be slightly biased but I think he is one of the best defenders in world football, brilliant reader of the game.

That Ronnie Whelan fella really is absolutely clueless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

That Ronnie Whelan fella really is absolutely clueless!

His Arsenal hate really goes deep. To say you don't like Kos and don't rate him is really a clear sign of that. Stupid fecker, god I dislike him with a passion. He can't get over 89.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Looper007 wrote: »
    His Arsenal hate really goes deep. To say you don't like Kos and don't rate him is really a clear sign of that. Stupid fecker, god I hate him with a passion.

Cant watch it, is Kenny/Sadlier agreeing disagreeing?

His Arsenal hate really goes deep. To say you don't like Kos and don't rate him is really a clear sign of that. Stupid fecker, god I hate him with a passion.

Cant stand him myself clown he is. Same with Houghton and Townsend, its hard to think I idolised these lads when they played for Ireland back in the day.

Cant stand him myself clown he is. Same with Houghton and Townsend, its hard to think I idolised these lads when they played for Ireland back in the day.

Townsend and Whelan can't hide their hate for Arsenal, which is a fact. Sure Townsend was cheering on Dortmund at the home game agaisn't us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hate Arsenal brigade in full flow with Whelan and Kenny today

• Advertisement

Cant watch it, is Kenny/Sadlier agreeing disagreeing?

Not yet but it will come soon.

I hate Arsenal brigade in full flow with Whelan and Kenny today

You would think as a defender himself Cunningham would of pulled Whelan over that comment on Kos:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah sure Whelan and Houghton are still bitter over 1989 :cool:

You would think as a defender himself Cunningham would of pulled Whelan over that comment on Kos:rolleyes:

ah sure Kenny just as bad for his hate for Arsenal :rolleyes:

Any one with common sense would tell you Kos has had a awesome season this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Koscielny pisses all over any PL defender with the exception of Kompany. His progress over the last few years has been phenomenal, i remember hating the guy and feeling vulnerable anytime he played, now when he doesn't start i feel like were vulnerable.

ah sure Kenny just as bad for his hate for Arsenal :rolleyes:

Any one with common sense would tell you Kos has had a awesome season this year.

He has been immense the past 2 seasons now. Tying him down to a long term contract should be one of the clubs biggest priorities this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Ronnie has the same hate for mert, laid into him the other day calling him the Herman weak link.

He gets paid to say this shire.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Didn't he sign a new deal last season?

Didn't he sign a new deal last season?

Must of missed that :o There was rumours of Bayern and Barca sniffing around for him last year thankfully they have died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Townsend and Whelan can't hide their hate for Arsenal, which is a fact. Sure Townsend was cheering on Dortmund at the home game agaisn't us.

he even said "get in!" when Dortmund scored.

I'm not a fan of him or houghton.

Even Kerr getting in on the act. France possibly the best central defence partnership in world football and hes saying there vulnerable at the back :eek: Baffling :eek:

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »

Even during the Hull game you could hear him loving it when we were behind.

Houghton just a crabby old git, a real life Victor Meldrew on the Mic.

I think he actually said it when a shot hit the side netting.
    Then had to back track quite a bit...... "I em er em though em that was in"

Not one ex-'Pool player who are soccer pundits have any time for Arsenal.
    We stopped them winning medals and they can't get over it. Poor losers :D

Rater than get annoyed with them I just enjoy their pain. It's easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Arsenal v Marseille: Andy Townsend "Get in!": http://youtu.be/OdxMwZ12p4I

ah sure bless them Tayto. Some of them are still convinced they had a better season than us last season ;)

Could you imagine what excuses they would make if we won the treble next season, It was fluke and the other teams were off cause of the World Cup. You can see it happening.

ronjo wrote: »
    ah sure bless them Tayto. Some of them are still convinced they had a better season than us last season ;)

Less of that. We dont want them coming in here again :pac:

Ah well sure we went and burgled their house in '89. :pac:

Could you imagine what excuses they would make if we won the treble next season, It was fluke and the other teams were off cause of the World Cup. You can see it happening.

It seems popular at the minute to hate us. Sure did one of the rags last year have a picture of a bottle with an Arsenal jersey on it :rolleyes:

It seems popular at the minute to hate us. Sure did one of the rags last year have a picture of a bottle with an Arsenal jersey on it :rolleyes:

Nothing surprised me with the Tabloids. They are a horrible bunch. Even a Former Arsenal player is saying that Wilshire and Ramsey be better off leaving Arsenal.

I think it's more they want Wenger to fail seen as he's the elder statesman of English Football. Petty and disgraceful really.

• Advertisement

Ah sure they are a lovely bunch of lads really

Nothing surprised me with the Tabloids. They are a horrible bunch. Even a Former Arsenal player is saying that Wilshire and Ramsey be better off leaving Arsenal.

I think it's more they want Wenger to fail seen as he's the elder statesman of English Football. Petty and disgraceful really.

There scum to be honest, Wenger has been treated very unfairly by the media over the past few years. He should be lauded more than anything he has done a lot for the Premier League and the English game in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

That's a bit of a fallacy. Players go where the money is. The moneymen have done a lot more for the Premier league than any manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Here's hoping on the next football manager they set Girouds and Gibbs dribbling stats to 1.

Just for the added realism.

On topic: There are a surprising amount of journalists who are Arsenal fans. However the anti-arsenal sentiment in the general media has always failed me. No matter what we do, the newspapers put a negative slant on it.

They are all saying we are getting debuchy and tbh, I am not impressed with him at all. I would sooner rather Aurier over him. In saying that, both are not up to the standard we require.

I really really like the prospect of signing Sanchez, I would love him here, he is everything we need in a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ffs of course he's good enough.
    1 in 2 since being in england, versatile, has pace, relatively cheap.
    do you not remember arsenal being as slow as pensioners at times last season? do you not understand the concept of strengthening/adding depth to the squad?

is he good enough to be the marquee signing/player? no, he's not not but arsenal aren't going to add 4/5 players of that quality. That's what i think they should be looking to do as well, same as you & others no doubt, but they won't and you need a good squad & arsenal have never or will never have a squad of 22-25 superstars.

were/are flamini or sanogo or monreal that type either/good enough? no, but they've been useful.

don't understand the negative reaction to him at all, baffling really considering the injuries arsenal pick up + walcott is probably going to have stop/start season coming back from that injury, picking up strains, etc.
    though poor gosplan will go into a coma when schneiderlin & remy rock up for the team photo :pac:

We should be signing players that will push the likes of Cazorla into being squad players. Not players who's only job is to be a squad player. We should be looking to improve on what we have, rather than intentionally buying someone of lesser quality.

The three examples you listed, Flamini was an upgrade over Arteta and Frimpong. Sanogo an upgrade over Park and Bendtner (if we had better strikers he wouldn't have been signed in the first place). Monreal an upgrade over Santos. That is what we should be looking for. Players better than what we currently have. Remy isn't better than any of our first team players so why intentionally buy someone worse than what we currently have?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We should be signing players that will push the likes of Cazorla into being squad players. Not players who's only job is to be a squad player. We should be looking to improve on what we have, rather than intentionally buying someone of lesser quality.

The three examples you listed, Flamini was an upgrade over Arteta and Frimpong. Sanogo an upgrade over Park and Bendtner (if we had better strikers he wouldn't have been signed in the first place). Monreal an upgrade over Santos. That is what we should be looking for. Players better than what we currently have. Remy isn't better than any of our first team players so why intentionally buy someone worse than what we currently have?

This is exactly the argument no-one was putting forward when we had all the carebears saying we shouldn't sign Cesc because we already had Santi.

We should have just brought in Cesc and sold Santi.
    I love Santi but Cesc is far better than him and is able to play in CM effectively and would have brought alot more to the team.

Wenger just didn't have the balls to do this. He allowed his personal relationship with Cazorla to cloud his judgement. Jose would never have done this nor any other manager.

Instead the sentimental, loyal Wenger idiotically turned down the chance to sign Cesc because he wanted to hold onto an older player of lesser quality who had lesser variety in attributes all because he didn't want to betray him. Of course Wenger would never admit he is too emotionally attached to his players.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Dapics wrote: »
    This is exactly the argument no-one was putting forward when we had all the carebears saying we shouldn't sign Cesc because we already had Santi.

I love Santi but Cesc is far better than him and is able to play in CM effectively and would have brought alot more to the team.

Wenger just didn't have the balls to do this. He allowed his personal relationship with Cazorla to cloud his judgement. Jose would never have done this nor any other manager.

Instead the sentimental, loyal Wenger idiotically turned down the chance to sign Cesc because he wanted to hold onto an older player of lesser quality who had lesser variety in attributes all because he didn't want to betray him. Of course Wenger would never admit he is too emotionally attached to his players.

Just my two cents.
    I think you're missing the most important reason for not signing Fabregas - we don't have a limitless budget, and blowing a £30 million hole in it in order to strengthen our strongest position is completely idiotic if it means we then can't buy players we actually need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I dont think I could take it if Giroud is our starting striker this season

I think you're missing the most important reason for not signing Fabregas - we don't have a limitless budget, and blowing a £30 million hole in it in order to strengthen our strongest position is completely idiotic if it means we then can't buy players we actually need.

He would have cost 27 million pounds.

We could easily have gotten at least 15 million pounds for Santi....

It was completely idiotic not to sign Cesc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Dapics wrote: »

Just my two cents.

Or it was 30 odd million to upgrade your bench for 4 years.

Plus the sentimental Wenger is quoted as saying 'you never go back'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement