Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

gosplan wrote: »
    Or it was 30 odd million to upgrade your bench for 4 years.

Plus the sentimental Wenger is quoted as saying 'you never go back'.

Going by this rationale of yours, we should never have signed Ozil

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Didn't Wenger re-sign Flamini? Did he forget he used to play for Arsenal or something? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We should be signing players that will push the likes of Cazorla into being squad players. Not players who's only job is to be a squad player. We should be looking to improve on what we have, rather than intentionally buying someone of lesser quality.

The three examples you listed, Flamini was an upgrade over Arteta and Frimpong. Sanogo an upgrade over Park and Bendtner (if we had better strikers he wouldn't have been signed in the first place). Monreal an upgrade over Santos. That is what we should be looking for. Players better than what we currently have. Remy isn't better than any of our first team players so why intentionally buy someone worse than what we currently have?

In theory that sounds fine.. But the truth is players like Remy are needed. Yes, it would be great to get a striker who's better than Giroud... But who's out there thats affordable? There isn't really any strikers out there that'd be worth splashing 40M on. We ran Giroud into the ground last year because we had no backups for him. That won't happen again if we get Remy.

Dapics wrote: »
    This is exactly the argument no-one was putting forward when we had all the carebears saying we shouldn't sign Cesc because we already had Santi.

We should have just brought in Cesc and sold Santi.
    I love Santi but Cesc is far better than him and is able to play in CM effectively and would have brought alot more to the team.

Wenger just didn't have the balls to do this. He allowed his personal relationship with Cazorla to cloud his judgement. Jose would never have done this nor any other manager.

Instead the sentimental, loyal Wenger idiotically turned down the chance to sign Cesc because he wanted to hold onto an older player of lesser quality who had lesser variety in attributes all because he didn't want to betray him. Of course Wenger would never admit he is too emotionally attached to his players.

Just my two cents.

This isn't football manager.. You can't just pop a player on the transfer list and have them be sold instantly.

Cazorla had just signed a new contract before Cesc had become available, so there was no chance of Cazorla being sold. Also there would have needed to be high interest in Cazorla for us to even just get 20M for him. So that'd mean we'd have to pay an extra 12M just to get Cesc, when instead that money could go towards basically buying Remy/Schneiderlin and still keeping Cazorla.

Its pointless comparing What Jose who'd have done over Wenger.. Because one of them has an infinite checkbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

This is exactly the argument no-one was putting forward when we had all the carebears saying we shouldn't sign Cesc because we already had Santi.

We should have just brought in Cesc and sold Santi.
    I love Santi but Cesc is far better than him and is able to play in CM effectively and would have brought alot more to the team.

Wenger just didn't have the balls to do this. He allowed his personal relationship with Cazorla to cloud his judgement. Jose would never have done this nor any other manager.

Instead the sentimental, loyal Wenger idiotically turned down the chance to sign Cesc because he wanted to hold onto an older player of lesser quality who had lesser variety in attributes all because he didn't want to betray him. Of course Wenger would never admit he is too emotionally attached to his players.

Just my two cents.

What is your obsession with care bears?

People who defend Giroud, who you don't like, are care bears and people who didn't want Cesc back are also care bears. Is everyone who doesn't agree with you a care bear? Is that supposed to be an insult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Raf32 wrote: »
    I dont think I could take it if Giroud is our starting striker this season

He's having a stinker here alright. Griezmann on the left and Benzema through the middle is the much better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

He's having a stinker here alright. Griezmann on the left and Benzema through the middle is the much better option.

Yup play their best players in their best spots. Limited player I hate to say. Probably score now :pac:

Rafael Hernández -
    Arsenal has submitted a bid for Alexis Sánchez, Barcelona are open to negotiations but are yet to respond.

He's very reliable for Barca stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We should be signing players that will push the likes of Cazorla into being squad players. Not players who's only job is to be a squad player. We should be looking to improve on what we have, rather than intentionally buying someone of lesser quality.

The three examples you listed, Flamini was an upgrade over Arteta and Frimpong. Sanogo an upgrade over Park and Bendtner (if we had better strikers he wouldn't have been signed in the first place). Monreal an upgrade over Santos. That is what we should be looking for. Players better than what we currently have. Remy isn't better than any of our first team players so why intentionally buy someone worse than what we currently have?

Exactly but last January anyone would have been an improvement over an injured Walcott. We were left with no replacement. We definitely needed somebody then. We led the league at Christmas but went downhill afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Going by this rationale of yours, we should never have signed Ozil

That makes no sense. Ozil was signed for the first 11. We should probably focus on that when looking for top class talent.

That makes no sense. Ozil was signed for the first 11. We should probably focus on that when looking for top class talent.

So... Cesc wouldn't have been signed 'for the first eleven'?

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    What is your obsession with care bears?

People who defend Giroud, who you don't like, are care bears and people who didn't want Cesc back are also care bears. Is everyone who doesn't agree with you a care bear? Is that supposed to be an insult?

I think almost everyone except a certain segment of Arsenal fans have come to the conclusion Giroud is not good enough for our club.

He isn't.

Useful, he can sometime be. Awful, he can often be.

Sometimes we may as well just stick a tree up front instead of him.

So... Cesc wouldn't have been signed 'for the first eleven'?

No

I think almost everyone except a certain segment of Arsenal fans have come to the conclusion Giroud is not good enough for our club.

He isn't.

Thats simple not true..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

He isn't.

Any player who is awful and can score 20 goals per season is ok with me. He was totally over played this season, never got injured and contributed heavily, despite poor service at times. Don't understand the hatred for him at all. We would have been screwed without him this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Will barca let him come to is of Liverpool want him included on the Suarez deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

egghead. wrote: »
    Will barca let him come to is of Liverpool want him included on the Suarez deal.

They can't force him to go to liverpool if he doesn't want to. If we offer enough money and he want's to come, I don't see why they wouldn't.

I remember someone mentioning (prob in here) that player plus cash deals actually never happen despite being constantly rumoured.

I can't think of a single one tbh

You can see why it's a good news story - 2 players, 3 clubs, lots of clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I remember someone mentioning (prob in here) that player plus cash deals actually never happen despite being constantly rumoured.

This is true. Gallas and Ashley Cole is the only one I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

There aren't many. Ibrahimovic & Eto'o?

Ha ha, Ronnie having a pop at Giroud and somehow brings Rodgers and Liverpool into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

here ya are now Ronnie, you'll never forget so either will I:

211jv45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Clive Allen and Kenny Sansom was one many years ago too.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Cant stand him myself clown he is. Same with Houghton and Townsend, its hard to think I idolised these lads when they played for Ireland back in the day.

What's worse with Townsend is the "us" stuff when he's on England matches.

So tomorrow's the big day, who do we reckon will be unveiled? :P

here ya are now Ronnie, you'll never forget so either will I:

211jv45.jpg

I think Ronnie's insight went something like

Giroud - not good enough - big man up top - Rodgers sold Andy Carroll - went for pace in Suarez

Then the rest came in and started talking about France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ha ha, Ronnie having a pop at Giroud and somehow brings Rodgers and Liverpool into it.

He was poor to be honest. If I'm being generous I'd say that the system just didn't work. Game was transformed when Griezmann came on.

Thought Koscielny was solid but didn't have his usual cultured look about him. Think he was a bit nervous perhaps because it appears that he is not well regarded in France.

So tomorrow's the big day, who do we reckon will be unveiled? :P

Is the kit being officially unveiled ? Or is it just day 1 of the Puma contract ?

greendom wrote: »
    Is the kit being officially unveiled ? Or is it just day 1 of the Puma contract ?

Puma contract which apparently means we can unveil players in it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm Gnabry's biggest fan but I think its far more logical to give Gnabry a season at Swansea/Palace and keep Campbell as our impact player.

My thoughts on Giroud are pretty clear, but its also fairly evident that a top quality LW will be far more attainable, however if that LW can't also play up front then we need a Remy. I think Remy's superior to Giroud, better goal record in a team devoid of creativity.

Debuchy would be a handy signing, experienced and preferred to Sagna in French team IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You are in dreamland if you think we'll sign Remy and another "top striker". If you are content with Giroud+Remy to spearhead our attack then there is obviously a huge conflict of interest. If there's one thing we can learn from Liverpool last year/RVP + United it's that you can be as crap as you like all across the park but if you have class up front you can make up for it. I would fancy Campbell/Sanogo to cover Remy's role between the two of them, and they're both younger.

Also love the "relatively cheap" comment. It's back to square one with us it seems, the fans looking out for the board and making sure they don't overspend. I assure you that won't be the case.

do you think so? wenger wants 2 strikers if possible apparently. yes, relatively cheap, it would allow arsenal to buy a player for 25-35mil (sanchez, balo, whoever) and add remy for 8-10mil as well. they're not going to sign two 30m+ forwards.
    i don't want remy to be the only signing up front - no one who wants him does - but i want him in addition to another better forward.
    arsenal have a budget, you need to remember that, whether you like it or not. remy is value at his price, hull paid 7mil average for long & jelavic for god sake, doubt they'll be a player sold between english clubs for better value than remy

i might be in dreamland but you're in cuckooland if you think sanogo & campbell would knock up the goals/chances remy would.
    sanogo is alright, done well in the FA cup, but should go on loan if possible like someone said. he hasn't even scored a goal yet though.
    Campbell has had 1 good season from 3 in europe, playing for a absolute powerhouse in their league. a goal against man u & a good WC and people think he's the shít. hasn't played a minute in the PL.
    remy is proven, tried and tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

remy would improve on what arsenal have though, he would strengthen the squad.
    remy would be a better option on the right instead of gnabry, chamberlain, wilshere (and allow these latter 2 to be used in their proper/preferred positions in the middle more often) .
    he scores far more and creates more than them.
    he would arguably be a better option on the left than cazorla & podolski, especially against teams that just don't put 10 behind the ball & in europe.
    do you know why guardiola played lahm at RB against arsenal? because of cazorla, saying he doesn't track back and is no threat on the counter attack

apart for walcott and chamberlain, arsenal are very pedestrian in attack, people reckon than hinders ozil & i even think he hinders giroud too (and i'm not his biggest fan anyway)

he scores, creates, has pace, is a squad upgrade.

sanchez/balo/whoever + remy, the + is important & it'd be a good summer forwards wise

flamini wasn't an upgrade on arteta, otherwise he'd be starting ahead of him.
    the other 2 would but they strengthen the squad, same as remy would.

Boateng having a shocker and its all pinned on Mertesacker

kos really carries per imo, so good.

Ah, no way he carries him.
    More like they complement each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Per and kos work well together. Per left exposed for pace, Well everybody knows thats his great flaw.

• Advertisement

Mert has obvious weaknesses but its clearly not helped when the lad beside him seems to be the only person in the world unaware of the weaknesses

also Lahm at CM is silly, get him to FB.

On a positive note Ozil's pass selection is quite literally perfect

Like jesus how stupid are you to place your slowest CB as the furthest player back.

There's a reason why Mert is always the furthest CB forward for us... He's to slow of a defender to play that deep.

AdamD wrote: »

also Lahm at CM is silly, get him to FB.
    another one of the "genius" peps ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That high line Germany are playing is killing Mert. I have seen milk turn quicker.

ozil is playing really well. four centre backs and a fb as a dm is killing germany and per

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Boateng having a shocker and its all pinned on Mertesacker

Boateng getting caught up the pitch despite knowing he is playing beside a centre half that is slower and that Algeria have packed the midfield. A total dumbass. Would never happen with Koc and Mert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

ozil is playing really well. four centre backs and a fb as a dm is killing germany and per

This.

Mert is doing his job, and getting slagged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i got to say but ozil has been poor this game

One person saying he has played well other saying poor, ozil has to be the most confusing player for arsenal fans.

Puma contract which apparently means we can unveil players in it :P

Diaby is back from injury. He's like a new signing so will therefore model the new kit :P

One person saying he has played well other saying poor, ozil has to be the most confusing player for arsenal fans.

Hes being the most promising attacking player for them imo and even tracked back earlier to help Mert when the other eejit went awol

Graham Hunter on 5 live Sport: "Alexis Sanchez will be gently told 'find the right place to go, we'd like it to be Anfield'" #suarezsale

Graham Hunter on 5 live Sport: "Alexis Sanchez will be gently told 'find the right place to go, we'd like it to be Anfield'" #suarezsale

What difference would it make to Barca as long as they get their valuation for the player ?

greendom wrote: »
    What difference would it make to Barca as long as they get their valuation or the player ?

Obviously Liverpool playing hard ball.

Sanchez is not going to patsy to Barca's request though considering they are getting rid of him. If thats the case Ozil would have went to Tottenham....ha ha the thoughts of it......gas :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement