Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think if we do buy Remy it will be a season too late. He would have been vital last season, providing something we didn't have due to injury. Don't think that will be the case this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

batistuta9 wrote: »
    maybe they do. though you reckon there's 10-20 of them, yet don't name any alternative

PL proven & price range;
    two things, the first that he's capable of adapting to and scoring in england, some players need time to settle in & others it just doesn't work for.
    i mentioned long & jelevaic in another post, 14-16mil combined, van wolfswinkle 8.5m scored 1 goal on the opening day of the season.

and the second is that it allows arsenal to spend the majority of the budget elsewhere and still get a decent player who'd be a good addition
    striker ~30m
    dm ~20
    rb ~10
    cb ~7
    gk ~3 (if even)
    remy 8-10m

remy is value at his price, you have to admit that. brings pace & goals, could play anywhere in the front 3.

I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I know all the good strikers. But if you want, I'll spend some time on Wikipedia and act like I do. Then you can look them up too and we can argue about them.

As regards the budget, no way in hell we get 6 players - not a hope. Also we have no idea how Arsne will spend his money.

Fcuk 'proven PL', that's what scouts are for. And that's why clubs with good records pass up on players with seemingy great stats like Ricky Van W.

Look, the top level football community have passed judgement on Remy and the judgement was 'not quite good enough'. That's why QPR were the only team who would pay him a 70k wage. We should listen to that. Even the French team rather arse around getting it wrong with 2 big men up top rather than play him. I mean Jesus, if he was that good Diverpool would have snapped him up for 8-10 million by now.

He's a player who doesn't manage more than 20 odd games a year, is never going to get much better, and most importantly, we will be having the exact same conversation next year about who to get to replace Remy and Giroud.

Anyway, it doesn't make a difference what we think. Not a hope Wenger signs Remy. If he wants someone in that mould, he's got Campbell.

Edited to include: people have vehemently argued in this thread for Long and Lambert and many more. Remy's just the next in that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Here's the thing.. We ain't getting a world class CF. Instead we can buy Remy who can play backup to Giroud, and just have both of them battling it out for a starting spot.

Yes, Remy isn't world class.. But he's still a very good player with a very good record in his first season. He's also gives us pace upfront (which is something we need) but doesn't sacrifice height.

He shouldn't cost more than 11M and at that price he's probably worth it.

And if not Remy i see Wenger going for Enner Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Here's the thing.. We ain't getting a world class CF.

Why not?

Here's the thing.. We ain't getting a world class CF. Instead we can buy Remy who can play backup to Giroud, and just have both of them battling it out for a starting spot.

Yes, Remy isn't world class.. But he's still a very good player with a very good record in his first season. He's also gives us pace upfront (which is something we need) but doesn't sacrifice height.

He shouldn't cost more than 11M and at that price he's probably worth it.

And if not Remy i see Wenger going for Enner Valencia.

Remy has done nothing across his career to show he could improve on Giroud's goalscoring rate.

Giroud has done plenty to show he could improve on it.

We shouldn't sign a player as a stopgap. it should be a player we want.

No one big will go for Enner Valencia. He's a freak of the world cup and not really very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    Remy has done nothing across his career to show he could improve on Giroud's goalscoring rate.

Giroud has done plenty to show he could improve on it.

We shouldn't sign a player as a stopgap. it should be a player we want.

No one big will go for Enner Valencia. He's a freak of the world cup and not really very good.

Remy is a much better finisher than Giroud and a lot more consistent. Too many times last season Giroud needed a countless number of chances to score, dont get me wrong I like Olivier he works his socks off but he just doesnt suit the system we play. Benteke would be my first choice if not him I would gladly take Remy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I know all the good strikers. But if you want, I'll spend some time on Wikipedia and act like I do. Then you can look them up too and we can argue about them.

use PL players then
    As regards the budget, no way in hell we get 6 players - not a hope. Also we have no idea how Arsne will spend his money.

bit contradictory.
    Fcuk 'proven PL', that's what scouts are for. And that's why clubs with good records pass up on players with seemingy great stats like Ricky Van W.

gervinho didn't exactly work in england either did he?
    & RVW was about the price
    Look, the top level football community have passed judgement on Remy and the judgement was 'not quite good enough'. That's why QPR were the only team who would pay him a 70k wage. We should listen to that. Even the French team rather arse around getting it wrong with 2 big men up top rather than play him. I mean Jesus, if he was that good Diverpool would have snapped him up for 8-10 million by now.

marseille are a nothing club you're right. if he was that shít he wouldn't be in the french squad.
    He's a player who doesn't manage more than 20 odd games a year, is never going to get much better, and most importantly, we will be having the exact same conversation next year about who to get to replace Remy and Giroud.

over to wikipedia :pac:; last 6 seasons: 36, 36, 43, 42, 26, 27
    Anyway, it doesn't make a difference what we think. Not a hope Wenger signs Remy. If he wants someone in that mould, he's got Campbell.

Edited to include: people have vehemently argued in this thread for Long and Lambert and many more. Remy's just the next in that list.

nope. campbells' scored 1 in 2 in england now has he?

hopefully not as it'll kill you inside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

use PL players then

bit contradictory.

marseille are a nothing club you're right. if he was that shít he wouldn't be in the french squad.

I've nothing really against Remy and to be honest know very little about him but shouldn't we be aiming higher first? Ok, so you argue that you think he could do better than Giroud, and maybe he could but I don't think he will double Giroud's haul for this season and that is the type of player we should be aiming for surely.

If we make other significant/expensive signings in other positions, say LW and DM and we still need backup or an alternative for Giroud then I would say go for it, but while we haven't signed anyone in any position shouldn't we be looking for the best player in each of our vital positions rather than slight or potential improvements than what we already have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Szczesny
    Aurier
    Mertesacker
    Kocsielny
    Gibbs
    Khedira
    Ramsey
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Chambo
    Sanchez

Bench
    Ochoa
    Jenkinson
    Vermaelen
    Wilshere
    Carzola
    Rosicky
    Giroud

:o

Szczesny
    Aurier
    Mertesacker
    Kocsielny
    Gibbs
    Khedira
    Ramsey
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Chambo
    Sanchez

Bench
    Ochoa
    Jenkinson
    Vermaelen
    Wilshere
    Carzola
    Rosicky
    Giroud

Why's Giroud on the bench? Sanchez won't be playing as a striker.

• Advertisement

Why's Giroud on the bench? Sanchez won't be playing as a striker.

He would be on my team hence the :o face

I just think with the pace of those 3 up front and balls coming in/going over from guys like ozil,ramsey and khedira? It would be devastating for defenses, Giroud would give us that something else when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sanchez could defo play upfront if we got him. Suarez like player imo flanked by walcott and ox is mouth watering.

Don't think it'd work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Szczesny
    Aurier
    Mertesacker
    Kocsielny
    Gibbs
    Khedira
    Ramsey
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Chambo
    Sanchez

Bench
    Ochoa
    Jenkinson
    Vermaelen
    Wilshere
    Carzola
    Rosicky
    Giroud

Martinez, Monreal, Centre-back*, Arteta, Flamini, Diaby, Zelalem, Podolski, Gnabry, Sanago, Campbell, Akpom as back-up.

The centre-back would have to be Djourou or Miquel or another home-grown (English) centre-half to fit the 25 - or it could be Ajayi from the reserves. If you are playing Football Manager, you would add Ashley Williams or someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Unsung Hero

£11m for Vermaelen is a good deal for a player that hasn't played much for two years, is at the end of his contract and is injury prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Arsenal have been in contact with Cork City in regard to signing Brian Lenihan according to a poster on their forum.

use PL players then

bit contradictory.

Sorry I wasn't including cup games, he's actually played 237 matches in 8 years so it's 30 per year.

As regards Marseille, they're reasonably big. He was signed in 2010 for 15 million and sold 3 years later for 10.

It's not personal so please stop making comments about me.

Remy is not good enough for a team that want to win things.

In short, that is why he has never been a starter for team that win things.

However if your vision is solely about cheap strikers with premiership experience, then yeah, I guess you'd say sign him.

The reason I say Campbell is because he'd do the same as Remy for us. Basically that is be a backup to Giroud and a different option with pace. The difference is he had potential too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Sorry I wasn't including cup games, he's actually played 237 matches in 8 years so it's 30 per year.

As regards Marseille, they're reasonably big. He was signed in 2010 for 15 million and sold 3 years later for 10.

It's not personal so please stop making comments about me.

Remy is not good enough for a team that want to win things.

In short, that is why he has never been a starter for team that win things.

However if your vision is solely about cheap strikers with premiership experience, then yeah, I guess you'd say sign him.

The reason I say Campbell is because he'd do the same as Remy for us. Basically that is be a backup to Giroud and a different option with pace. The difference is he had potential too.

I think a good example is Demba Ba, proven premiership experience, good goalscoring record for Newcastle goes to Chelsea and doesn't really do anything?

and unlike Chelsea , Arsenal can't do trial and error with strikers, 'ah we'll take him there you go 30million, wow 1 goal in 34 games, we'll buy another sure!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So Di Maria wants to leave Real apparently....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

While it looks like there might not be any top notch out and out strikers up for grabs this year. It looks like a wide forward is achievable between Sanchez, Di Maria and Griezemann. Although Madrid would be mad to sell him, it's probably just paper talk based on the hype of James Rodriguez

I don't want people to get me wrong and I know I'm being hard on Remy but for me start at Sanchez, then Grizemann then next and next and so on.

Remy would do something for us, without doubt but we can do a lot better.

I don't want people to get me wrong and I know I'm being hard on Remy but for me start at Sanchez, then Grizemann then next and next and so on.

I may be wrong, but I think that people are suggesting Remy in addition to one of them, not instead, due to the fact they don't really play up front.

I tend to agree with you.

The only reason for buying Remy is if Wenger believes both Sanogo and Campbell won't make it.

Sanchez, Di Maria, Griezmann or someone like that to play across the front three, keep who we have, one of Gnabry, Campbell or Sanogo to play more and better this season and we have enough up front. The only reason for more is if Wenger is switching to a front-two.

A back-up goalkeeper, right-back, a Khedira or Bender and possibly a centre-half and I would be delighted with the summer.

What's the craic with Djourou h'es in the arsenal team on the website now, i know he was on loan but is he back now or what?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's the craic with Djourou h'es in the arsenal team on the website now, i know he was on loan but is he back now or what?

I thought we sold him to Hamburg :confused:

• Advertisement

I really wouldnt mind him as fourth choice. Can cover right back too and would hardly see the pitch.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought we sold him to Hamburg :confused:

Me too, but on twitter arsenal were like ooh wish djourou look today he starts against argentina, when they only do that with arsenal players, and then a quick look at the webiste theirs djourou's name thrown in on the squad list for the first time since last year :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Weird, a quick google brings this up: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11896/9245262/transfer-news-johan-djourou-completes-permanent-move-to-hamburg-from-arsenal

Can't find any links about it on Arsenal.com though so maybe it wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

So is Sanchez coming to us, Liverpool or elsewhere?

What do people think?

Very weird, unless arsenal are holding out on the announcement for some strange reason? Although it is sky sports after all.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Weird, a quick google brings this up: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11896/9245262/transfer-news-johan-djourou-completes-permanent-move-to-hamburg-from-arsenal

Can't find any links about it on Arsenal.com though so maybe it wasn't true.

It is very strange. It makes you wonder are we hanging on to him for fourth-choice centre-back if Vermaelen leaves and we only make one signing (especially if that signing is veteran (Ferdinand/Silvestre-type) or has no Premier League experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

frimpong wrote: »
    Arsenal have been in contact with Cork City in regard to signing Brian Lenihan according to a poster on their forum.

Report here.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/07/01/arsenal-set-make-offer-lenihan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ronjo wrote: »

What do people think?

For God's sake will you wait for the Puma unveiling, Wenger to return from holidays, Halley's Comet, a blue moon or whatever. The season doesn't close for weeks yet. Be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

ronjo wrote: »

What do people think?

if he's leaving he'll come to us.

barca's statement by zubizareta today indicate that he's for sale, in which case if we're willing to pay the asking price we will get him.

or it could go like higuain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

I think he would suit Arsenal more, but Liverpool makes more sense. It dovetails well with the Suarez transfer. He'll probably be on a higher wage as they don't have the same structure and Suarez was on a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think he would suit Arsenal more, but Liverpool makes more sense. It dovetails well with the Suarez transfer. He'll probably be on a higher wage as they don't have the same structure and Suarez was on a lot of money.

Arsenals wage structure is gone, also as far I know Ozil is earning more than Suarez or at least similar wages so can't see that being a deciding factor at all if he is to move to either clubs.

Arsenals wage structure is gone, also as far I know Ozil is earning more than Suarez or at least similar wages so can't see that being a deciding factor at all if he is to move to either clubs.

Nah Suarez signed a new contract to put him on mega money so I'd say it's more than Ozil. But yeah there's no reason we wouldn't be able to afford to pay good wages for Sanchez

Nah Suarez signed a new contract to put him on mega money so I'd say it's more than Ozil. But yeah there's no reason we wouldn't be able to afford to pay good wages for Sanchez

Isn't Ozil reported to be on 150 to 180k a week? Don't think Suarez be getting much more than that, he certainly was on lower before his contract extension.

But yea Sanchez wage demands should not be an issue or a deciding factor really.

Isn't Ozil reported to be on 150 to 180k a week? Don't think Suarez be getting much more than that, he certainly was on lower before his contract extension.

But yea Sanchez wage demands should not be an issue or a deciding factor really.

I've got it in my head that Ozil is on about 140k, and Suarez upwards of 200k

So the 1st of July has come and gone, is the 10th the new day to expect an unveiling of a player with the kit?

• Advertisement

According to a couple of journalists Liverpool and Barca are nagotiating a deal for Suarez and Liverpool only want cash (€80M) and not Sanchez.

So the 1st of July has come and gone, is the 10th the new day to expect an unveiling of a player with the kit?

:rolleyes:

I'm going to say this now if we have to wait till the final hour of the transfer window whilst not ideal to sign players of Ozils calibre then so be it.

I will not panic or rant before then.

The only club to have done good business so far is Chelsea, Liverpool and United meh.

Wonder will it be the same as last year in that we wont be able sign quality players until we qualify for the champions league?

Raf32 wrote: »
    Wonder will it be the same as last year in that we wont be able sign quality players until we qualify for the champions league?

Really don't think that's ever been an issue, just a handy excuse to trot out.

Higuain would have signed for us before the qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This Shakiri fella looks a top player and only 22 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't expect much so I won't be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Gringo180 wrote: »
    This Shakiri fella looks a top player and only 22 too.

And he's not very happy under Pep either.

According to a couple of journalists Liverpool and Barca are nagotiating a deal for Suarez and Liverpool only want cash (€80M) and not Sanchez.

The thing with Liverpool is that I figure their model would be getting players for 10-15 million and either profiting from them or having them really contribute.

Obviously they'll suffer when Suarez goes but they still have some good players.

But Sanchez would totally break the mould. I reckon Barca would be looking for 30 million or so.

And between Coutinho and Sterling, it's one area where they're fairly well off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Not his biggest fan at all by Djourou is having a monster game vs Argentina.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement