Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

shano_88 wrote: »
    Not his biggest fan at all by Djourou is having a monster game vs Argentina.

There left full has impressed me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

shano_88 wrote: »
    Not his biggest fan at all by Djourou is having a monster game vs Argentina.

He's playing very well but Djourou was always like that I'm afraid even in his time with us. He's at his level mid table German team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

I'm going to say this now if we have to wait till the final hour of the transfer window whilst not ideal to sign players of Ozils calibre then so be it.

I will not panic or rant before then.

The only club to have done good business so far is Chelsea, Liverpool and United meh.

Only issue with that is we have a lot of tough games early in the season and it would be a lot better to have new signings bedded in by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

The only club to have done good business so far is Chelsea, Liverpool and United meh.

United have paid heavily for their acquisitions so far, based on their potential. They may well turn out to be good acquisitions but they paid well above the fair market rate for them.

Chelsea paid 32 million for a striker who only once in his career has scored more than 10 league goals in a season. It's a bit of a gamble from them.

Liverpool? Can has only had one season in the top flight in Germany. And Lambert is Lambert, solid professional who adds depth but is hardly going to bring them any closer to trophies. [edit: Forgot liverpool have Lallana. Not sure what to make of that one yet]

So far, nobody has done 'good' business. Most of the acquisitions so far have been speculative in nature and the real business has yet to kick off.

Besides, you normally find it takes one big transfer for the trade in the more established internationals to kick off, as the established players, the ones who's have already proven themselves largely don't get sold until the replacement is line up. Think last year, where our purchase of Ozil was dependent on Madrid buying Bale.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about our inactivity relative to the other big clubs. The real business is yet to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

gosplan wrote: »
    It's not personal so please stop making comments about me.

Remy is not good enough for a team that want to win things.

In short, that is why he has never been a starter for team that win things.

However if your vision is solely about cheap strikers with premiership experience, then yeah, I guess you'd say sign him.

The reason I say Campbell is because he'd do the same as Remy for us. Basically that is be a backup to Giroud and a different option with pace. The difference is he had potential too.

you weren't meant it to take it seriously, no offence meant.

he is though, & teams that win things have good squads
    is that why cazorla, koscielny, etc. didn't play for clubs who won things, are they not good enough for a team who wants to win things. not a great way to judge players

you leave out the goals & chances he creates. remy wouldn't even need to improve, just match what he's been doing & he'd improve arsenal.

J.campbell, sanogo, gnabry, you'd really rather those staring ahead of remy, can't understand that. 1 goal in england between them.
    if you're happy going with potential & hoping they do well, fair enough.
    arsenal have money now, they've no need to be relying on potential as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you weren't meant it to take it seriously, no offence meant.

he is though, & teams that win things have good squads
    is that why cazorla, koscielny, etc. didn't play for clubs who won things, are they not good enough for a team who wants to win things. not a great way to judge players

you leave out the goals & chances he creates. remy wouldn't even need to improve, just match what he's been doing & he'd improve arsenal.

J.campbell, sanogo, gnabry, you'd really rather those staring ahead of remy, can't understand that. 1 goal in england between them.
    if you're happy going with potential & hoping they do well, fair enough.
    arsenal have money now, they've no need to be relying on potential as much.

Cazorla might not be tbh. Not as a starter anyway.

Kos we got young for a CB and is on the up.

If there's no-one else by the end of te summer then maybe he could add something but I'd see that as a massive failure in the transfer market.

Sanchez is available. Llorente may be available (Juve seem to want to upgrade their strikeforce). Balotelli may be available. One of Benzema/Di Maria may be available (given that Madrid's intentions for this window aren't yet clear). Bony may be available (given that Swansea signed Gomis). Mandzukic may be available. Lukaku may be available (albiet unlikely available to an English team given Chelsea's track record). And many more (Gomez for example...)

You might not agree with all of those names, but there are potentially much better players available than Remy. It would be foolish not to pursue them first.

gosplan wrote: »

If there's no-one else by the end of te summer then maybe he could add something but I'd see that as a massive failure in the transfer market.
    Sanchez is available. Llorente may be available (Juve seem to want to upgrade their strikeforce). Balotelli may be available. One of Benzema/Di Maria may be available (given that Madrid's intentions for this window aren't yet clear). Bony may be available (given that Swansea signed Gomis). Mandzukic may be available. Lukaku may be available (albiet unlikely available to an English team given Chelsea's track record). And many more (Gomez for example...)

You might not agree with all of those names, but there are potentially much better players available than Remy. It would be foolish not to pursue them first.

i don't want or i am not saying remy should be the only forward signed.
    remy + X is what i want to happen, given his price that makes it possible.

whether X is signed first or after, does it really matter.

i'd take remy over llorente, bony, mandzukic & gomez too.

Get the cheque book out for that Yedlin fella Arsene what an athlete :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/02/arsenal-sign-12m-mathieu-debuchy-and-will-confirm-transfer-after-world-cup-4783479/

I know its The Metro but its reporting we have agreed to sign fullback Mathieu Debuchy for a cool 12m.

In fact, I'm 99% sure its bullcrap.

• Advertisement

i'd take remy over llorente, bony, mandzukic & gomez too.

Eh... really? Over ALL of them? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Llorente, mand & Gomez are identikit of Giroud tbf, Bony at least has a bit of pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

When did Remy suddenly become an amazing player that we absolutly have to sign? There is a reason nobody major is interested in him. He's not good enough. He's a mid table player at best.

I'm going to say this now if we have to wait till the final hour of the transfer window whilst not ideal to sign players of Ozils calibre then so be it.

I will not panic or rant before then.

Didn't take long for the bar to be lowered.

i think remy would add more overall to the squad & a bit of it does go back to his price

bony was signed last summer so probably would cost quite a bit. spending around that much i'd rather others off your list.
    gomez & llorente are older, less versatile.
    mandzukic everyone says is giroud mark2, may as well stick with mark1

from the ones you listed i'd take di maria or sanchez + remy.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Llorente, mand & Gomez are identikit of Giroud tbf, Bony at least has a bit of pace

Hmmm... this is just incorrect.

Have a look at some youtube compilations of their goals, they all tend to occupy very different spaces, Gomez much more off the shoulder, Mandzukic seeking space around the penalty spot, Bony attacking balls or running from deep (he'd probably suit a counter attacking team better than us), Llorente more likely to attack the back post, Giroud more likely to attack the front post.
    mandzukic everyone says is giroud mark2

Ehh!!! Who actually says this!?!? Madness....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Bony isn't actually that quick. He's barely faster than Giroud. I'd wager Remy would be twice as fast as both of them.

Ehh!!! Who actually says this!?!? Madness....

anytime he's been mentioned, it said by a few who watch them a lot, reckon he's slightly faster & wouldn't be much of an upgrade on him

how do you think gomez would've done in the slow arsenal team last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bony isn't actually that quick. He's barely faster than Giroud. I'd wager Remy would be twice as fast as both of them.
    Twice as fast, eh someone better warn Usain Bolt there is a new contender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Looks like debuchy is done and dusted

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    When did Remy suddenly become an amazing player that we absolutly have to sign? There is a reason nobody major is interested in him. He's not good enough. He's a mid table player at best.

This is my point.

He's not good enough.

We play with one striker so we'd have to jettison Sanogo or Campbell.

People say he can go on the sing but can we not just sign a better winger then.

I'm done though. Not mentioning him again. Think I must be boring everyone by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Let's just sign Sanchez, be grand.

anytime he's been mentioned, it said by a few who watch them a lot, reckon he's slightly faster & wouldn't be much of an upgrade on him

A slightly faster Giroud? That's utter nonsense. He's quite a different player, much more mobile and much more versatile than Giroud. At times he's a fox in the box, other times he's a false 9 dropping deep, swapping positions with others bringing them into play. What stands out is his work rate and pressing, but he's got incredible fluidity in his movement and interchanging that would fit will at Arsenal... the downside is that he as a preference for the more direct approach.
    how do you think gomez would've done in the slow arsenal team last season?

Would have helped improve our counter attacking game and would have scored some of those one on ones that Giroud wouldn't have had the legs for, in that sense he would have been a good partner for Giroud in the games we were chasing and Wenger was looking to switch to 4-4-2. Harder to say how he would have faired though when the play is crowded in and around the box though, I suspect it may have resulted in a few more goals taken from those positions but there's a bit of a risk play would have just passed him by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Debuchy seems to be a done deal.
    Hoping we can get Sanchez sewn up pretty soon. Just pay what we have to to get him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Walcott doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to Arsenal - not from this thread but in general. If he played for someone else we'd probably be looking to AW to sign him. We really suffered when he got injured.

For me we need someone who's close to what Walcott offers us - pace, ability to finish and can play wide and up front. Maybe Sanchez or maybe Campbell will do.

I also think we need to eliminate the obvious issue we have with coping with pace - especially on the break. We need someone who will control the middle of the park from the back. Not someone who's as likely to be caught up front or lose possession. Remember how we used to curse Song for that? I good holding midfielder is essential. I think we lacked this last year. We might have the player currently in the squad but we dont use them like this. This is the position that will be the hardest to fill - Vidal maybe?

Replacement RF is an obvious need and I dont think we'd have any issue getting someone here for the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Vidal is going nowhere. We desperately need a player like him though. Bender would be the alternative or failing that it will probably be Schneiderlin.

Cant understand people saying just because no big club are in for Remy that he isnt good enough for us, I dont recall the likes of Drogba been with a big club before he joined Chelsea or Cazorla before he came to us and look how they worked out. In fact you can say that for a lot of top players that signed for us over the years, Pires, Ljungberg, Petit, Koscielny, Nasri, Giroud etc and the likes of Podolski and Rosicky were hardly been chased by any big clubs when we signed them. The fact is that Remy would be an upgrade on Giroud imo and at around 10-12 million it would be an absolute steal, its a no brainer for me and leaves extra cash for us to strengthen that defensive midfield spot and a player for the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Debuchy - he's only 2 years younger than Sagna and I've never thought anywhere near as good (despite keeping him out of the French team). How much has been saved in terms of Sagna's wages given there's a £12m signing fee to be paid for Debuchy, who is also not a long term solution for that position?

Maybe they are thinking in the short-term. Maybe they'll buy a team to win the league now rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Debuchy will do a good job for the next couple of years. Tough and uncompromising at the back and pretty quick and effective going forward. If we can ensure he doesn't give away too many silly free kicks and bookings, he will be an excellent signing.

As to Sagna, it was his choice. He wanted to move on. Think we have to move on now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

it gives 2 more years for jenkinson and bellerin to develop.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    it gives 2 more years for jenkinson and bellerin to develop.

And Bellerin.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So Debuchy is done then? That tweet from whoever last week said deals were close for him and Sanchez didn't it? One down one to go :pac:

I see Jackson Martinez is batting his eyelids at us too.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So Debuchy is done then? That tweet from whoever last week said deals were close for him and Sanchez didn't it? One down one to go :pac:

I see Jackson Martinez is batting his eyelids at us too.

Was Sanchez and Schneiderlinn.
    Get the two of them signed up and we will need a backup CB.

My take on loic Remy:

For an alternative to Olivier Giroud we need a top level striker. Remy’s not at that top level. But consider that Snodgrass went for 7 million this week.
    Jake Livermore for 8. Adam Lallana for 25million. You can see why folks are saying that for 10 to 12 million he would represent value. Currently our striking options are limited, I would class Joel Campbell as a wing forward, Sanogo needs a loan move, Benik Afobe is now 21 and we can almost certainly rule him out of having a future at arsenal,then have Chuba Akpomb waiting in the youth team at 18 years old as a potential a few years down the line.
    Consider that other sides at our level in our league have 4 or so fully fledged strikers there’s no doubt we need at least one maybe two more. Sanchez would be the perfect Top Level player we need. Remy at his price range would be good for squad depth. But Wenger hasn’t made a move for him yet, perhaps he’s just waiting to see how other option pan out. He indicated to Lee Dixon that he’s not entirely sure of Campbells role in the squad next season. He’s also indicated that he really sees a bright future for Sanogo.
    If we signed Remy as our only forward this season I’d be disappointed. If we signed him as a squad player with the addition of a top level player, then I’d be saying that it’s decent work.
    If we don’t sign remy I’d be ok too. If we sign nobody I’m getting my pitch fork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

"My agent is taking care of my future, right now I'm at the World Cup and only after the World Cup I'll evaluate proposals.

"As a child I cheered for Arsenal, they play a game that suits me. If I had the occasion to play there, I would say yes."

- Jackson Martinez, quotes taken from the Mirror though. Would take him in a heartbeat.

"My agent is taking care of my future, right now I'm at the World Cup and only after the World Cup I'll evaluate proposals.

"As a child I cheered for Arsenal, they play a game that suits me. If I had the occasion to play there, I would say yes."

- Jackson Martinez, quotes taken from the Mirror though. Would take him in a heartbeat.

And if he could get his foot in the door and tell his buddies, James Rodriguez, Falcao and Cuadado how great we are then all the better ;)

Remy has an impressive scoring record and for 12m he's a bargain for a squad player.

With the amount of games Arsenal play every year and the fact that other teams adopt a striker rotation system (that doesn't seem to bother the strikers) I can't see why AW wouldn't sign Remy regardless of who his preferred striker is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Walcott doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to Arsenal - not from this thread but in general. If he played for someone else we'd probably be looking to AW to sign him. We really suffered when he got injured.

For me we need someone who's close to what Walcott offers us - pace, ability to finish and can play wide and up front. Maybe Sanchez or maybe Campbell will do.

I also think we need to eliminate the obvious issue we have with coping with pace - especially on the break. We need someone who will control the middle of the park from the back. Not someone who's as likely to be caught up front or lose possession. Remember how we used to curse Song for that? I good holding midfielder is essential. I think we lacked this last year. We might have the player currently in the squad but we dont use them like this. This is the position that will be the hardest to fill - Vidal maybe?

Replacement RF is an obvious need and I dont think we'd have any issue getting someone here for the right price.

Vidal is far from a holding midfielder and he would be absolutely wasted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Remy has an impressive scoring record and for 12m he's a bargain for a squad player.

With the amount of games Arsenal play every year and the fact that other teams adopt a striker rotation system (that doesn't seem to bother the strikers) I can't see why AW wouldn't sign Remy regardless of who his preferred striker is.

£12 million for a squad player is a LOT, it's by no means a bargain.

• Advertisement

Would love us to sign Jonjo Shelvey :D:D

Gringo180 wrote: »

not this again! :)

£12 million for a squad player is a LOT, it's by no means a bargain.

Depends on your interpretation of a squad player. In recent times squad players are seen in the same light as the old starting 11. Rotation is a huge thing these days

Now you're talking.

Played 90 games in the last 2 seasons for Porto and scored 60 goals.

Wenger might be holding out for someone younger but him and Giroud for one position would be fine with Sanogo as additional backup.

Another striker makes no sense then as we're not going 2 up top.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    not this again! :)

:D Unfortunately we missed out on Rickie Lambert so he will have to do ;)

Gringo180 wrote: »

Hold on now. I think the present guy doing Gunnersauras is doing a fine job...oh wait...sorry er you meant sign him as a player ?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Seriously lads can we put this Remy stuff to bed for now unless he signs.

Some like him some dont we get it, agree to disagree and move on its tiresome now.

With all the rumours of Balotellli circling im sure the youth team are very nervously looking for a safe place to hide the darts :pac:

If Balo was to sign then i hope Puma will be providing us with 'easy to put on' bibs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Confidence levels on Sanchez from past experience?

Will he go to Arsenal or inevitably Liverpool?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement