Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

How likely are we to get sanchez do you feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Di Marzio just said we bid 32 million euros for him and that he wants us over liverpool. looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think we're in with a great shout if we pony up the dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »
    Di Marzio just said we bid 32 million euros for him and that he wants us over liverpool. looks good.

If Di Marzio is reporting it then it's probably true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/610658/313122.jpg
    Don't know how to get the picture up but its a sneak preview of Sanchez in the puma gear

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    If Di Marzio is reporting it then it's probably true.

Yup he is the don in reliable transfer news.

Hopefully lads he would be a great player for us. Where woukd he play though on the right or upfront?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hopefully lads he would be a great player for us. Where woukd he play though on the right or upfront?

Probably left wing.
    But he'll be on the right till Walcotts fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Probably left wing.
    But he'll be on the right till Walcotts fit

So we would be covered Rw and LW BUT does that not still leave us short of a "fox in the box" a small quick player to get on the end of quick balls?

• Advertisement

Front three of Ox Walcott and Sanchez could be savage. Theo/Sanchez rotating in the central role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Catalan radio now reporting that the Suarez deal will be money only. Good news for us if true :)

I still think javier hernandez is someone we should look into hes a poacher hes got bags of pace hes at a good age and his goal to minutw play ratio is very impressive. He scores goals thats what he does.

I know there is more proven strikers out there but he can do us no harm hes been forgotten about at man united so they might just sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So we would be covered Rw and LW BUT does that not still leave us short of a "fox in the box" a small quick player to get on the end of quick balls?

"One day at a time, sweet Jesus" :D

I'd love to see Matiudi in an Arsenal shirt but I can't see that happening unless PSG really get punished for FFP irregularities. That's immediately who I thought of from your description

EDIT read your post again and you're after a small striker rather than a small box to box midfielder

I don't want to appear negative but I really hope Sanchez doesn't turn into this season's Higuain. I imagine with it being dependent on the acquisition of Suarez it may take most of the transfer window to complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 quikcunny

The gift that keeps on giving :pac: Mert told ZDF after the game he was going to sit in ice to cool down after the intense encounter with Algeria (or something to that line) Sure enough, he kept his word :D

He's got awfully small shoes for a big lad:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

greendom wrote: »
    I don't want to appear negative but I really hope Sanchez doesn't turn into this season's Higuain. I imagine with it being dependent on the acquisition of Suarez it may take most of the transfer window to complete.

The hope is that we've learned our lesson from that. I'm also hoping that those Vermaelen stories go away and that we've learned our lesson on selling to United too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Not on a lot lately but Sanchez signing would be superb. The options more than anything in terms of playing with Giroud also is tasty.

Also said many a time last year I would love to see Walcott played on the left for 20/25 mins of some games. It would suit his finishing in particular. Start him on the right, switchin with Sanchez on the left. Playing off Giroud flicks and Ozils through balls with Ramsey raiding through the centre!!!!

Might throw on Ox Cazorla or Wilshere some day too!!

Think Walcott amd Sanchez in the same team will make Giroud an even better player for the Giroud haters out there.

Hope we do this.

greendom wrote: »
    "One day at a time, sweet Jesus" :D

I'd love to see Matiudi in an Arsenal shirt but I can't see that happening unless PSG really get punished for FFP irregularities. That's immediately who I thought of from your description

EDIT read your post again and you're after a small striker rather than a small box to box midfielder

Someone mentioned Hernandez. Not a bad call for the type of player to benefit from wingers breaking at speed and getting quick ball into the box. An alternative to Giroud or even back-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hernandez is terrible on the ball though. As much as I'd like a poacher, some technical ability would also be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Having two great wingers kind of necessitates a striker that can hold up the ball as bring them into play.

Reckon it's Giroud till we get someone better. Fox in the box won't work unless it's with Giroud.

Edited to include: a 2 year ago RVP would be perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

how do you put up the proper twitter posts here?

gosplan wrote: »
    Having two great wingers kind of necessitates a striker that can hold up the ball as bring them into play.

Reckon it's Giroud till we get someone better. Fox in the box won't work unless it's with Giroud.

Exactly. Could you imagine a front 4 of Walcott, Ozil, Cazorla and Hernandez. We wouldn't pass the halfway line.

gosplan wrote: »

Edited to include: a 2 year ago RVP would be perfect

Can't see how a fox in the box would not work without Giroud at all.
    Liverpool have two smallish wingers and Suarez ahead or coming through with them. I like Giroud but he can be a bit slow and ponderous at times if the opposition play a high line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A player doesn't have to be big to be good at holding the ball up, Aguero being a prime example. Sanchez seemed pretty handy at it during the WC too.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    A player doesn't have to be big to be good at holding the ball up, Aguero being a prime example. Sanchez seemed pretty handy at it during the WC too.

True. But Hernandez was the point of discussion I think and ya cant argue with people being sceptical of that!

Suarez obviously another excellent example like Aguero. But they are rare.

AdamD wrote: »

True but i'm not talking about hold-up play. I'm talking about breaking very fast from our own half with Sanchez and Walcott on the wings. A bit like Pires and Freddie used to break. You don't need a hold-up player for that. That's where a good quick lad like Hernandez would fit or even Remy. If they were good enough. Maybe Chamberlain is that man. I'm thinking too that if Giroud was injured or suspended this would be an alternative for us. No good having speedy wingers if they have to wait for the CF to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

quikcunny wrote: »
    The gift that keeps on giving :pac: Mert told ZDF after the game he was going to sit in ice to cool down after the intense encounter with Algeria (or something to that line) Sure enough, he kept his word :D

He's got awfully small shoes for a big lad:D

He probably doesn't keep his lad in his shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

BBC sport reporting he will turn down pool as he wants to join us

• Advertisement

Bbc sport changing their tune on sanchez now, looks like he's going to pool after all.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27184083

True. But Hernandez was the point of discussion I think and ya cant argue with people being sceptical of that!

Suarez obviously another excellent example like Aguero. But they are rare.

Yup. Hernandez does not do link up play. He's a finisher.

Nothing wrong with that but no manager in their right mind would play him alone up front.

Holding the ball up isn't about being big, it's about finding a bit of space and being aware of where your teammates are.

Size probably helps bit so does being fast and tricky in a way.

But you could never play a striker like Michael Owen or Eduardo or Hernandez as a lone front man.

Yes if you get the ball to them in the right position, they'll score but there's a lot more to it as well.

I don't think Giroud is ideal for this either btw, he can't exploit decent space and has to cut back way too often. But he does have a good awareness of where players are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

GeoffArsenal tweeted that talking are taking place between Arsenal and Sanchez.

Pinch of salt to be taken with what he says because he has been wrong in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Bbc sport changing their tune on sanchez now, looks like he's going to pool after all.

???????

What story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

You sly bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL you should be carded for that one :P

Phoenix wrote: »
    so what reliable sources are running with Sanchez to Arsenal as opposed to him going to Liverpool?
    Any respected journos rather than randomers spouting on twitter?

DiMarizo, pretty reputable with a good track record is reporting that Sanchez wants to come to Arsenal and that Arsenal have bid 32 million for him. Still a long way from a done deal just yet though.

gandalf wrote: »
    LOL you should be carded for that one :P

An honest mistake guv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Sanchez would be a massive signing for us if we could pull it off!

jonny666 wrote: »
    Sanchez would be a massive signing for us if we could pull it off!

Not to mention a major kick in the liathróidí for Liverpool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Always a plus.

On the other hand if they got him it would be massive for them too. Even after losing Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hernandez would be very good for Arsenal I feel. Have Ozil and Ramsey do all the ball playing you need and his issues become less prevalent. He was much improved in overall play the season before the one just gone but really went off the boil last season, probably due to lack of game time more than anything. He still has the ability to stretch defenses and get goals though. I've always wondered why Arsene never gave Walcott a real chance up front, hugely underrated player imo.

Tbh, there's been nothing but speculation that Liverpool are even interested.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Must. Not. Raise. Expectations.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Must. Not. Raise. Expectations.

If anyone can blow this, its us.

Very very true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks Raf, for a moment there, I lost the run of myself and actually had some hope.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Thanks Raf, for a moment there, I lost the run of myself and actually had some hope.

No bother, will soften the blow when this all goes belly up :pac:

• Advertisement

No bother, will soften the blow when this all goes belly up :pac:

We'll always have Kalou.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement